2016-2017 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received my financial aid award summary!
I haven't received anything yet... Anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not received anything either.
I emailed yesterday and they said they were having technical difficulties with sending out the emails, but that it should be coming soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
...Was anyone else extremely underwhelmed by their financial aid package?...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone received information on the specifics of vaccinations? I completed mine like in March following the general AAMC guidelines but I want to know WFSM's!

Just called admissions to see how many people on the waitlist and they wouldnt say...gahhh. She did mention that the class is full as of now, but they expect a lot of movement after the April 30th acceptance deadline.

And if you have any friends that are pretty sure that they are NOT coming to Wake, tell them that everyone would appreciate them freeing up a spot. Movement has been kind of slow this year...

Reactions: 1 user
And if you have any friends that are pretty sure that they are NOT coming to Wake, tell them that everyone would appreciate them freeing up a spot. Movement has been kind of slow this year...

@Pathdocmd any idea when the committee will meet to discuss the first round of waitlist movement?

Gunner question alert:

Does anyone know how AOA is determined since there are no grades or published ranking system (I know they keep an internal ranking system that only one person has access to, but I'm not sure if this is used in AOA determination).
I'm interested in this too. lol gunner alert so funny

At second look I kept hoping to meet someone wearing a "Dr. Kat" name tag. Was very disappointed...
hahah same with Huggy nametag...maybe one day we'll disclose who we really are:angelic:

Gunner question alert:

Does anyone know how AOA is determined since there are no grades or published ranking system (I know they keep an internal ranking system that only one person has access to, but I'm not sure if this is used in AOA determination).
Hahah the question I too wanted to ask but was afraid of asking lolol
Oh and I was at second look too :)

Per the dean I spoke to, AOA is determined via the internal ranking, which is only known by the person in charge of working with AOA. We, the students, won't ever know our exact rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck to everyone waiting for some waitlist movement and also to those matriculating next year!

Reactions: 3 users
Of course I read the message before you edited it :) I think, 99% chance is a troll post but if not, come talk to me once July 10th/11th rolls around, I'm a nice person!

Has anyone received strictly merit based aid? If so, when and how were you notified? Trying to figure out if it's still a possibility so I can make a decision and potentially give someone else a spot here

Has anyone received strictly merit based aid? If so, when and how were you notified? Trying to figure out if it's still a possibility so I can make a decision and potentially give someone else a spot here
I have and was notified of it a few weeks ago via email and then snail mail letter before receiving further notification that my financial aid package was ready to view. You could email the financial aid office; they're so nice and helpful and could probably let you know if there is still merit-based aid to assign.

No and unfortunately this will probably why I forfeit my spot too. I love love love Wake Forest, but can't justify taking out >$100,000 more in student loans (over 4 years). Sounds like DefertoPermanent had a similarly underwhelming experience with the FinAid package. I called the financial aid office and they said all merit aid has been dispersed as of now. If some people withdraw they will redistribute, but obviously you can't bank on that.

No and unfortunately this will probably why I forfeit my spot too. I love love love Wake Forest, but can't justify taking out >$100,000 more in student loans (over 4 years). Sounds like DefertoPermanent had a similarly underwhelming experience with the FinAid package. I called the financial aid office and they said all merit aid has been dispersed as of now. If some people withdraw they will redistribute, but obviously you can't bank on that.

Yes, unfortunately I don't have a cheaper option

I apologize for my ignorance in advance, but can someone explain what merit based fin aid looks like? I thought WF doesn't have scholarships? I also thought that everyone gets to take out the same amount of loans to cover COA?

I apologize for my ignorance in advance, but can someone explain what merit based fin aid looks like? I thought WF doesn't have scholarships? I also thought that everyone gets to take out the same amount of loans to cover COA?

Wake Forest have quite a few funds for scholarships. You can read about them in pages 24 - 42 of the financial aid handbook (link below). It's basically money you don't have to pay back. If you received any it would have been in the financial aid summary you received ~1 week ago. Certain scholarships have goals/criteria like increasing diversity of the student body, funding a NC resident, or funding a Wake Forest under grad, etc. A large portion are also need based. http://www.wakehealth.edu/uploadedFiles/User_Content/SchoolOfMedicine/About_the_School/Financial_Aid/FA Handbook for Students.2016.pdf#page24

Last edited:
Wake Forest have quite a few funds for scholarships. You can read about them in pages 24 - 42 of the financial aid handbook (link below). It's basically money you don't have to pay back. If you received any it would have been in the financial aid summary you received ~1 week ago. Certain scholarships have goals/criteria like increasing diversity of the student body, funding a NC resident, or funding a Wake Forest under grad, etc. A large portion are also need based. http://www.wakehealth.edu/uploadedFiles/User_Content/SchoolOfMedicine/About_the_School/Financial_Aid/FA Handbook for Students.2016.pdf#page24

Thank you!! I didn't know that!!

Thank you!! I didn't know that!!
I actually ended up receiving a quite large (~50%) strictly merit based scholarship this week.. not sure if that was the last round of awards but they definitely exist at Wake Forest and I assume some may be redistributed after April 30th if people withdraw

I actually ended up receiving a quite large (~50%) strictly merit based scholarship this week.. not sure if that was the last round of awards but they definitely exist at Wake Forest and I assume some may be redistributed after April 30th if people withdraw

Were you notified via email?

If my friend hasn't received a scholarship yet, is it safe to assume she will not be receiving any?

If my friend hasn't received a scholarship yet, is it safe to assume she will not be receiving any?

Maybe, maybe not. I emailed the financial aid office about this already, and they said that due to people turning down acceptances: "there is a possibility of shift in regards to scholarships up to matriculation."

Maybe, maybe not. I emailed the financial aid office about this already, and they said that due to people turning down acceptances: "there is a possibility of shift in regards to scholarships up to matriculation."

Is this for merit-based or need-based?

Is this for merit-based or need-based?

Both. It depends who withdraws their acceptance from here on out.

But I have no idea what % of students get scholarships to begin with or how wait-list acceptees would be prioritized in the "shift" vs. students who were accepted up front.

So since April 30th is this Sunday, can we expect to begin hearing from the waitlist as early as Monday? Getting really anxious to hear!

So since April 30th is this Sunday, can we expect to begin hearing from the waitlist as early as Monday? Getting really anxious to hear!
If my understanding is correct, Wake forest doesn't have a ranked waitlist. So waitlist movement doesn't happen right away. They usually meet sometime mid may and discuss who they would like to accept from it.

Pathdoc said the first meeting will probably happen later than last year (May 19th), but I'm not sure if that means later in terms of date or later relative to the admission deadline, since that is moved up to April 30th this time around and it was May 15th last year. If past year's threads are an indication, some warning will pop up on here when the meeting is happening.

Does anyone know if there is any possibility of scholarships for students accepted off the waitlist (either merit or need based)?

I'm going to drop this here for those who are interested. New MSAR data.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 3.38.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 3.38.18 PM.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: 2 users
The number I'm really dying to know is how many people go on the wait list in the first place, which I have not been able to find any reference to for any year or school. Not that it would make any difference, I just like to know the odds. You would think that more than maybe 80-100 people on a wait list would just make selection a bigger pain and be overkill to ensure a class of 120. Who knows though?

Was just told when I called that the first meeting on waitlisted applicants is Monday.

Was just told when I called that the first meeting on waitlisted applicants is Monday.

Did anyone else get real nervous all of a sudden? Hopefully Pathdoc chimes in to confirm.

I may just be more relaxed because I do hold an admission; however, a wise person once told me it's very easy to attempt to read the tea leaves of the adcom- very hard to actually know what the hell is going on. We should all stop making weird hypothesis and calculated guesses about how many people there are waiting etc. At the end of the day it is what it is. I would love to go to the WFSOM, but I understand at this point it's in the hands of the adcoms. How they choose people is something I completely don't understand and probably never will. The only this that is certain is that if you're on the waitlist it's not over yet.

The wait is killing me! I might find out the waitlist decision on my graduation day lol. (I'll probably be crying either way: if I get in or if I don't get accepted)

I just got off the waitlist at another school in-state and will most likely attend there. I am waiting for financial aid information, but will probably withdraw from WF! Once I do, I hope my spot goes to one of y'all! It's an amazing program *_*.

It is true. It came sooner than I expected. Letters should go out on Tuesday. If you don't hear anything by the end of the day, assume that you are still on the wait list.
If we don't hear anything by the end of today? Or tomorrow?

Edit: nvm, by the end of the day tomorrow. I read it while still half asleep.

Last edited:
It is true. It came sooner than I expected. Letters should go out on Tuesday. If you don't hear anything by the end of the day, assume that you are still on the wait list.

Your updates are hugely appreciated, thanks very much for taking the time.