2016-2017 Wake Forest University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised this thread is so dead! Anybody know when they might send out secondaries?

Pretty sure Wake is a stretch given I am not from the area, but I guess you'll never know unless you try!

Members don't see this ad :)
Email today:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your 2017 medical school application to Wake Forest School of Medicine. Wake Forest School of Medicine and The Office of Admissions is currently moving to the Bowman Gray Center for Medical Education in Wake Forest Innovation Quarter. Due to the move there will be a 1-2 week delay in processing your application. We anticipate downloading the first load of applicants the week of July 11th. Once your application is downloaded you will receive an emailed notification with a link to check your application status during the admissions cycle. We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to reviewing your application. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Ashley Kelley

Student Admissions Administrator

I just got an email saying they are in the process of moving their admissions office.
So anyone wondering why they haven't gotten anything - they will download the first batch of applications July 11th

Email today:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your 2017 medical school application to Wake Forest School of Medicine. Wake Forest School of Medicine and The Office of Admissions is currently moving to the Bowman Gray Center for Medical Education in Wake Forest Innovation Quarter. Due to the move there will be a 1-2 week delay in processing your application. We anticipate downloading the first load of applicants the week of July 11th. Once your application is downloaded you will receive an emailed notification with a link to check your application status during the admissions cycle. We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to reviewing your application. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Ashley Kelley

Beat me to posting by seconds :)

Reactions: 1 users
Email today:

Dear Applicant,

Sincerely,

Ashley Kelley

Got that email at the same time. Read it and was like, "No, take as long as you need." :)

Reactions: 7 users
Got that email at the same time. Read it and was like, "No, take as long as you need." :)
Exactly!! It was a relief. I originally saw it and was bummed that there is another secondary for me to start on. But then I read it and was delighted!

When this school says to send in two letters of rec (in accordance with their site) do they mean exactly two, or do they mean two as a minimum with the possibility of others as supplemental?

Got an email yesterday confirming that my application had been received and how to check my status. Still no secondary though.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm the secondary says to "pick at least 2" of the required essay topics. Does this mean pick 2? Or do they really want you to do all 4?

anyone else's not loading? I'm trying on a bunch of browsers and I can't get it to work... anyone have a generic link?

Can someone post the secondary prompts please?

Secondary received! OOS applicant, verified on 6/9. Best of luck everyone!

Prompts:
Required Essay Questions (Pick at least two):

1. The Committee on Admissions values diversity as an important factor in the educational mission of the Wake Forest School of Medicine. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class and to the medical community in general? (400 words or less).
2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?
3. How has creativity helped you in your studies, work, activities, volunteering, or life in general? (400 words or less)
4. Starting with the 2016-17 application cycle, the Wake Forest School of Medicine has gone from course requirements to recommendations. How has your academic work beyond the "traditional" pre-medical school requirements (i.e., introductory biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, introductory physics) prepared you for medical school and for a career in medicine. (400 words or less)

OPTIONAL ESSAYS

1. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (200 words or less).
2. If you have previously applied to Wake Forest School of Medicine MD program, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less).
3. Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina (200 words or less).

Still no secondary here. Submitted 6/7 verified 6/17.

Reactions: 1 user
hmm the secondary says to "pick at least 2" of the required essay topics. Does this mean pick 2? Or do they really want you to do all 4?
There was an error on our part. All four are required, unlike last year where you had to pick 2 out of 3. An e-mail will go out to everyone who got a secondary telling them to do all 4.

Does Wake Forest screen? I was verified 6/9 and haven't received one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
From last year's thread: Q: Does Wake screen applications pre-secondary? How many students make it to each stage of the application process?

A: I don’t have the exact numbers in front of me, so please don’t quote me on these numbers – I’m going to estimate. Wake receives over 8,000 applications each year, and roughly 2000-2500 students receive secondary applications. From these group of applicants that complete secondaries, we interview around 500-600 applicants. From the 500-600 who interview here, roughly 250 will go on to be accepted.

From last year's thread: Q: Does Wake screen applications pre-secondary? How many students make it to each stage of the application process?

A: I don’t have the exact numbers in front of me, so please don’t quote me on these numbers – I’m going to estimate. Wake receives over 8,000 applications each year, and roughly 2000-2500 students receive secondary applications. From these group of applicants that complete secondaries, we interview around 500-600 applicants. From the 500-600 who interview here, roughly 250 will go on to be accepted.
Darn it :( I hope I end up getting one. Getting one is a pretty positive thing it seems.

The screen is not nearly that selective. Most applicants get a secondary.

EDIT: Hm, my apologies, didn't realize you actually work at WF. So the numbers given two posts up are definitely not true?

Last edited:
Got this email...
Your application for the Wake Forest School of Medicine, Class of 2021 has been received from the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Our office will contact you when further information is required.

Applicants may use the link at the bottom of this email to check their application status. Please note this is NOT our Secondary Application. It is only a link to check the status of your application.

Does this mean a rejection is coming??
3.5/519 thought I would get a secondary at least....

If our office only sent out 2000 secondary applications, I would have a lot more free time. Maybe I could actually get some papers published.
Any chance you can tell us what your screen consists of? Or at least the jist of it?

Got this email...
Your application for the Wake Forest School of Medicine, Class of 2021 has been received from the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Our office will contact you when further information is required.

Applicants may use the link at the bottom of this email to check their application status. Please note this is NOT our Secondary Application. It is only a link to check the status of your application.

Does this mean a rejection is coming??
3.5/519 thought I would get a secondary at least....

With the number of applications we get it takes time to sort through the files. The computer does the initial screen, but then we have to double check to see if any applications fell through the cracks. A 3.5/519 would certainly get you a secondary app.

With the number of applications we get it takes time to sort through the files. The computer does the initial screen, but then we have to double check to see if any applications fell through the cracks. A 3.5/519 would certainly get you a secondary app.

Ok I'll relax :) thanks for keeping my hope alive!

Ok I'll relax :) thanks for keeping my hope alive!
I received that same email and received a secondary today. Relax people! First, if you know your application is good enough to be considered "competitive" to the average MD school, you are going to be getting a secondary from the vast majority of schools! There are very few that do a real in-depth screen. If you are remotely competitive, you get a secondary. Most of the screening pre-secondary is just looking at your MCAT and GPA and making sure it's not below some pretty low cutoff that if you are under you have no business applying anyway.. Second, stop trying to read into things so much! When I got that email saying that I can check my status following that link and to note that it is not access to the secondary, I didn't for a second think anything about "what does this mean?" because it means exactly what they say! It's just an email giving you a link to check your status, and the secondary application will be coming later. Sorry this absolutely turned into a rant but come on people, this is pre-secondary we are talking about. Relax and enjoy your lives!

...Second, stop trying to read into things so much! When I got that email saying that I can check my status following that link and to note that it is not access to the secondary, I didn't for a second think anything about "what does this mean?" because it means exactly what they say! It's just an email giving you a link to check your status, and the secondary application will be coming later. Sorry this absolutely turned into a rant but come on people, this is pre-secondary we are talking about. Relax and enjoy your lives!

I cannot agree with this enough. The secondary application process has actually been a lot LESS stressful for me (and okay, I know... n =1) than all the posts on SDN make it seem like it will be. I definitely am a bit of an uptight person compared to my friends, but man I feel incredibly relaxed and easy-going when I read some of these crazy posts about the smallest details! Haha

Reactions: 3 users
I received that same email and received a secondary today. Relax people! First, if you know your application is good enough to be considered "competitive" to the average MD school, you are going to be getting a secondary from the vast majority of schools! There are very few that do a real in-depth screen. If you are remotely competitive, you get a secondary. Most of the screening pre-secondary is just looking at your MCAT and GPA and making sure it's not below some pretty low cutoff that if you are under you have no business applying anyway.. Second, stop trying to read into things so much! When I got that email saying that I can check my status following that link and to note that it is not access to the secondary, I didn't for a second think anything about "what does this mean?" because it means exactly what they say! It's just an email giving you a link to check your status, and the secondary application will be coming later. Sorry this absolutely turned into a rant but come on people, this is pre-secondary we are talking about. Relax and enjoy your lives!
I'll second that!

Is there an email of rejection as well or you just never get notified?...

Is there a fee associated with the Wake Forest Secondary? I assume so, but it doesn't show up on the same page as the essays and the email didn't mention it so I'm just wondering!

I can't seem to access the secondary even after disabling Windows Firewall and trying in Internet Explorer, AND on a mac...... any ideas for troubleshooting??

same, did you get the initial email to be on the lookout for a message with your application status?

Did you receive yours yet? I'm in the same boat
I was verified 6/7 and I have not received anything from Wake Forest, aside from the email they sent out saying they would not download applications until this week.

Reactions: 2 users
I received the application status check message, but no secondary yet. I've tried accessing the link through various browsers with firewall off and securities removed, but still cannot get through. Does anyone know how to access the page?

I was verified 6/7 and I have not received anything from Wake Forest, aside from the email they sent out saying they would not download applications until this week.
same boat as well...

I received the application status check message, but no secondary yet. I've tried accessing the link through various browsers with firewall off and securities removed, but still cannot get through. Does anyone know how to access the page?
Same, I can't get my internet to load the page either...

Has anyone else not gotten an email from Wake yet? I was verified on July 8, but I haven't been contacted verifying that my application was received (this is the only school that hasn't sent a verification email yet).