2016-2017 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just know they said they would send out a link - I'm sure it's fine to join, I want to as well! You're sure it's the official one?

I talked to Kelsey from admissions last week and she said they'll send out invites to the Facebook group after May 1st when everyone has made their decisions so the group doesn't have members who don't end up matriculating.

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to Kelsey from admissions last week and she said they'll send out invites to the Facebook group after May 1st when everyone has made their decisions so the group doesn't have members who don't end up matriculating.

ohh okay that makes sense. the wait continues!

Just got waitlisted by email. So the wait continues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well....just rejected by email. Oh well. Good luck everybody!

Admitted today via phone call. Interviewed 2/11.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the range for VTC scholarship packages?

Does anyone know the range for VTC scholarship packages?
No idea about the range but mine was 15k - they sent the scholarship letter with the acceptance packet. Hope that helps!

No idea about the range but mine was 15k - they sent the scholarship letter with the acceptance packet. Hope that helps!

Every accepted student receives the same amount! And the following years are each about 5k

She sent out the link to the official overall student page, the one created by the current M1 is our class specific one :)

Accepted via phone call from the waitlist!

Any info on this facebook group? I did a quick search and couldn't find it.

*edit
nvm, just got an email. they will send a Facebook invite once you matriculate.

Last edited:
Accepted via phone call from the waitlist!

Any info on this facebook group? I did a quick search and couldn't find it.

*edit
nvm, just got an email. they will send a Facebook invite once you matriculate.

Congratulations! Did you send any additional updates besides the applicant update form?

Congratulations! Did you send any additional updates besides the applicant update form?
Thank you! This is my first acceptance (third application cycle). I'm beyond thrilled.

Nope, just the form.

Thank you! This is my first acceptance (third application cycle). I'm beyond thrilled.

Nope, just the form.

Wow! You are seriously an inspiration. I am a reapplicant as well, and I am still looking for an acceptance. I am waitlisted at two schools and hoping for the best. You know the feeling, I'm sure. Congratulations once again, and I hope to meet you in Roanoke in the fall. Also, your name is the best.

Accepted off the waitlist a few days ago, but withdrew my acceptance for another school. Amazing institution, but it's better I stay in the West. Good luck team!

I withdrew from the waitlist just now. Didn't get an offer, but got in someplace else and wanted to free up a spot for one of you guys.

Best of luck in your Med school travels!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm planning to apply here this cycle, does anyone know what the gpa/mcat screen here is? I have a low GPA (3.3) because <3.0 first two years but 3.7 last two years. I also have 515 MCAT (128/128/131/128). I read through this thread and see research is heavily favored. I have 250hrs at ivy med school, 250hrs at florida med school with 1 first author pub, and 2000+hrs (current job for the past year) as a tech/lab manager at another ivy med school with 2nd author pub in the works.

I just don't know if its worth to apply since my GPA is pretty crappy but I feel like my research and MCAT are decent, thank you for the help!!

I'm planning to apply here this cycle, does anyone know what the gpa/mcat screen here is? I have a low GPA (3.3) because <3.0 first two years but 3.7 last two years. I also have 515 MCAT (128/128/131/128). I read through this thread and see research is heavily favored. I have 250hrs at ivy med school, 250hrs at florida med school with 1 first author pub, and 2000+hrs (current job for the past year) as a tech/lab manager at another ivy med school with 2nd author pub in the works.

I just don't know if its worth to apply since my GPA is pretty crappy but I feel like my research and MCAT are decent, thank you for the help!!

According to the beginning of this thread their screen is for below a 3.2 GPA and/or below a 27 (~503) MCAT. Not sure if that's still accurate but with your high MCAT it's definitely worth it to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted yesterday!! SO excited :) Best of luck to those still on the waitlist. It's been a long road.

Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the accepted students for this year?

Withdrew my place from this year's class. An extremely difficult decision, but one that had to be made. I hope my spot will go to that one person who hasn't given up hope!

For those of you still watching this thread...Hi!

2017-2018 applicant here. Interviewed in December. Placed on hold, with re-review of application this upcoming April. Any advice from those who were accepted from April onward? Very excited about the program and its mission. Thanks! :)

For those of you still watching this thread...Hi!

2017-2018 applicant here. Interviewed in December. Placed on hold, with re-review of application this upcoming April. Any advice from those who were accepted from April onward? Very excited about the program and its mission. Thanks! :)

Hey @Mrose85, current M1 here. I hardly ever get on SDN anymore, sorry! I got accepted late in the program (think June-ish). My advice is to send as many updates on your life/statements of intent that you can; I sent in two, and I received my acceptance a couple of days after the second one. At this point, you are competing against those who are also on the waitlist, so if they see that you are still strongly interested, let them know! I am of the opinion that it can't hurt. I wish you the best of luck; this is a great school with a close-knit class and faculty! It was my number one choice after interviewing here. Cheers!