2016-2017 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both are 500-600 words

VTC's curriculum fosters a culture of compassion through its community service learning initiatives. Through their inter-professional learning group projects (IPL), students demonstrate leadership and innovation while making a positive difference in the community. Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life.

VTC is committed to strengthening the diversity of its community. Through interactions with a heterogeneous population, people broaden their knowledge about other cultures and ultimately develop the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with others. Tell us about how your life experience has broadened your perspective of the world and relate how you would add to the diversity of your class, if admitted to VTC.

There's an additional option to upload a 600 word update essay.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide whether I should apply here. I'm in-state and everyone says you should always apply to all of your state schools, but this one might be an exception. The class size is crazy small and they don't seem to show any preference at all for in-state students. Would I be better off throwing away my money at a reach school I really love like Mayo?

I'm trying to decide whether I should apply here. I'm in-state and everyone says you should always apply to all of your state schools, but this one might be an exception. The class size is crazy small and they don't seem to show any preference at all for in-state students. Would I be better off throwing away my money at a reach school I really love like Mayo?

I would say if you don't fit the profile here (high MCAT, lots of research) it might make sense to look elsewhere. I agree that being from VA doesn't seem to be a huge factor at this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to know what is considered "exceptional research experience"?

I interpreted that as any research experience that isn't available to all undergrads, such as competitive research internships or clinical/pharma research jobs.

I would say if you don't fit the profile here (high MCAT, lots of research) it might make sense to look elsewhere. I agree that being from VA doesn't seem to be a huge factor at this one.

What kind of students is this school looking for?

I'm OOS with a 514 and 3.95 with 2 years of non-science research, no pubs.

I'm deciding whether to apply here or Mayo. This school looks nice , but if it's looking for something specific, what?

To all of you debating whether or not to apply - I'm an upcoming M1 at this school and this is my 2 cents based on my experiences this past application cycle.

I had 2 years of research experience but no pubs (although my research is in the process of being published which I noted on AMCAS). I also did not do any competitive research internship or clinical/pharma research job, just research in a science lab at my undergrad. I'm a VA resident with average MCAT and average GPA and this was my only in-state interview. That was surprising to me since Carilion offers the least interviews (~250) out of any other VA med school and also does not give VA residents any preferential treatment since it is a public school with private ties.

Moral of the story: you never know what you're gonna get until you try. I thought I had little to no chance at this school due to my stats and their small class size, yet this was the one that interviewed and accepted me.

During interviews, the faculty also mentioned that they've accepted students in the past with little to no research experience - so lack of research experience will not exclude you from getting an interview by any means.

To all the OOS applicants - it's definitely worth a shot applying. I met more OOS students at my interview than IS. There was someone all the way from Michigan, and more than half the interviewees at my interview date were from North Carolina.

Honestly, unless you are some very impressive applicant with high MCAT, high GPA, research and pubs, I would apply here over Mayo.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your input!! Why did you choose VTC?
And why VTC over Mayo?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Rising VTCSOM M3 here--if you value a small class size and would like to do some research during medical school you should give it a shot! I applied as an afterthought, loved the school on my interview, and ended up choosing it over other acceptances. If you have any other questions, ask away.

Rising VTCSOM M3 here--if you value a small class size and would like to do some research during medical school you should give it a shot! I applied as an afterthought, loved the school on my interview, and ended up choosing it over other acceptances. If you have any other questions, ask away.

Does VTCSOM favor engineering students in any way?

Does VTCSOM favor engineering students in any way?
Not that I know of--however, I definitely have classmates who were engineering students and have applied those skills to their research. If you have done research along with your studies, and can explain how that could be helpful in your medical school/career, I am sure that can only be a plus!

Not that I know of--however, I definitely have classmates who were engineering students and have applied those skills to their research. If you have done research along with your studies, and can explain how that could be helpful in your medical school/career, I am sure that can only be a plus!

Would you say that engineers are a minority? Would it be reasonable to say that being an engineering major adds diversity to a school, enough to write a diversity essay about?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Everyone is doing research so we have everything--basic, clinical, engineering, public health, etc.

2) I don't think I can give you direct advice about your application, but I would say to go with your gut and talk about whatever you think is unique about yourself that you can bring to the school! I am sure talking about engineering would be fine.

Just received an email:

Your AMCAS application for the 2017 entering class has arrived at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. The decision whether to invite you to submit an online secondary application will be made shortly. The deadline for our secondary application submission is January 1, 2017. In the meanwhile you should check out our Admissions web site and note some of the unique features of our four-year M.D. Program:

http://www.vtc.vt.edu

So I guess they screen??

Just received an email:

Your AMCAS application for the 2017 entering class has arrived at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. The decision whether to invite you to submit an online secondary application will be made shortly. The deadline for our secondary application submission is January 1, 2017. In the meanwhile you should check out our Admissions web site and note some of the unique features of our four-year M.D. Program:

http://www.vtc.vt.edu

So I guess they screen??

I just got this as well!

Me too!!! Here are the prompts: @WedgeDawg

VTC's curriculum fosters a culture of compassion through its community service learning initiatives. Through their inter-professional learning group projects (IPL), students demonstrate leadership and innovation while making a positive difference in the community. Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life.

VTC is committed to strengthening the diversity of its community. Through interactions with a heterogeneous population, people broaden their knowledge about other cultures and ultimately develop the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with others. Tell us about how your life experience has broadened your perspective of the world and relate how you would add to the diversity of your class, if admitted to VTC.

Reactions: 1 user
The required questions are:
VTC's curriculum fosters a culture of compassion through its community service learning initiatives. Through their inter-professional learning group projects (IPL), students demonstrate leadership and innovation while making a positive difference in the community. Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life. (500-600 words)

-AND-

B. VTC is committed to strengthening the diversity of its community. Through interactions with a heterogeneous population, people broaden their knowledge about other cultures and ultimately develop the ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with others. Tell us about how your life experience has broadened your perspective of the world and relate how you would add to the diversity of your class, if admitted to VTC. (500-600 words)

There is also an optional essay to update VTCSOM on activities not mentioned on AMCAS. @WedgeDawg

Me too!!! Here are the prompts: @WedgeDawg

Beat me to it! :D

Secondary here as well. I will not be using all those words that's for sure.

If I haven't done research should I even bother filling out the secondary?

+1 Secondary as well, ready to tackle it! Really interesting program with their class size, and location as two bonuses. Good luck everyone

+1 Secondary. Would love to know what their screening process is. Their website wasn't super insightful.

+1 Secondary. Would love to know what their screening process is. Their website wasn't super insightful.

+1

I got a secondary too. Would def be nice to know cutoffs.

It does say on the MSAR that they screen, but it's not really clear as to how extensive that process is.
I think it is a light screen (3.5 & 30) initially and then a more intensive screen once secondaries are submitted. I doubt any school will screen intensely before receiving application fee payments

I know their screen before was a 3.2 and 27, though that was two years ago. Not sure if it changed.

3.78 gpa/519 mcat/2 years of research/CA resident

Is it worth a shot at this place? I feel like I would fit well here but the class size + OOS is scaring me

Is the 500 words a minimum and 600 words a maximum?

My response is exactly at 300 but I can't get to 500 without adding fluff

Is the 500 words a minimum and 600 words a maximum?

My response is exactly at 300 but I can't get to 500 without adding fluff

I interpreted it as a rough estimate and that somewhere around 450 would be okay but not over 600... If you've said all you need to say and your point is clear I don't think they would be critical that you didn't have 500 words.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interpreted it as a rough estimate and that somewhere around 450 would be okay but not over 600... If you've said all you need to say and your point is clear I don't think they would be critical that you didn't have 500 words.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Called admissions today and they said they would like each response to be a minimum of 500 words.

Welp. This along with their ridiculously small class size will likely result in me not submitting the secondary. They also raised the fee from $50 last year to $70 this year (this last point doesn't affect my choice, but I mentioned it just in case anyone else wanted to know why the fee is different from what was mentioned on their website)

Called admissions today and they said they would like each response to be a minimum of 500 words.

Welp. This along with their ridiculously small class size will likely result in me not submitting the secondary. They also raised the fee from $50 last year to $70 this year (this last point doesn't affect my choice, but I mentioned it just in case anyone else wanted to know why the fee is different from what was mentioned on their website)
Oops I could only bring one of mine unto a 410, I really didn't see any point in adding fluff , felt like it would take away from the significance of what I was trying to say. I already submitted , I hope that won't negatively affect me, oh well ..

Oops I could only bring one of mine unto a 410, I really didn't see any point in adding fluff , felt like it would take away from the significance of what I was trying to say. I already submitted , I hope that won't negatively affect me, oh well ..
I also remember seeing in last year's thread that it should not matter too much..

I also remember seeing in last year's thread that it should not matter too much..

I saw how some people submitted essays <500 words last year but wanted to check with admissions so I called them.

You could call them on Monday to verify the limit with them, but if you already submitted then you probably can't edit it. I doubt it matters much if you are a quality applicant though

I saw how some people submitted essays <500 words last year but wanted to check with admissions so I called them.

You could call them on Monday to verify the limit with them, but if you already submitted then you probably can't edit it. I doubt it matters much if you are a quality applicant though
Yeah I would like to think that they will give value to quality over quantiy . And most secondary prompts have much smaller limits. We will see what happens . Hoping for the best

Is the class size this year going to remain at 42?