2016-2017 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah uploading supporting docs to the portal doesn't need to be done until later, but the certificate of immunization is supposed to be in by June 1. (Date on orientation website under VIP dates)

I emailed my form in to the email listed on it and got a response telling me that it was received and added to my file.
Hey thanks so much for the reply! Did you email the forms to [ushsimmuniz (at) vcu (dot) edu]?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the chances I get off the waitlist for an OOS?
Haven't gotten any acceptances and only waitlist (and hope) :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the chances I get off the waitlist for an OOS?
Haven't gotten any acceptances and only waitlist (and hope) :(
Apparently the OOS waitlist moves more than the IS list. Anecdotally, movement on the waitlist starts to slow down in June, so May is your best bet. That being said, there are several people accepted throughout the Summer. No harm in calling the admissions office and asking for any clues as to where you are on the waitlist. GL

Just withdrew my acceptance from here. Tough to let it go though. This school seems to have a really solid program and great people.

I hope one of you gets to take my spot! Cheers!

Reactions: 5 users
First post ever on SDN. I think i just got accepted from the portal because i just got the matriculation form tab!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted!! I received a status email change 20 min ago :) (I'm on a bus to Canada right now, which was why I was awake - although let's be real it wouldn't be surprising if I were up right now bus or no bus...)

Now I'm gonna struggle to decide which school I'll end up in two months...
If you're OOS, are you eligible for IS tuition the second year, as you would've lived in Richmond for a year by then?
Gah I want to know how much tuition I would pay but financial aid portion of medical school is so confusing.

But all that aside, yay!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got accepted!! I received a status email change 20 min ago :) (I'm on a bus to Canada right now, which was why I was awake - although let's be real it wouldn't be surprising if I were up right now bus or no bus...)

Now I'm gonna struggle to decide which school I'll end up in two months...
If you're OOS, are you eligible for IS tuition the second year, as you would've lived in Richmond for a year by then?
Gah I want to know how much tuition I would pay but financial aid portion of medical school is so confusing.

But all that aside, yay!!!

There is an in-state reclassification process, but its requirements are much more strict than just living in Richmond for a year. No one I talked to on my interview day had heard of anyone reclassifying. Unfortunately, if you're OOS, I would plan on paying OOS tuition for all four years.

Accepted off the waitlist last week! First acceptance and 2nd year applying. Don't give up hope yall! Anyone starting to make plans for living?? Just wondering if there are apartments with lots of VCU students

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

This is an unimportant post, and I just wanted to be...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2000th post

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

4309956.jpg

Accepted off the waitlist last week! First acceptance and 2nd year applying. Don't give up hope yall! Anyone starting to make plans for living?? Just wondering if there are apartments with lots of VCU students
Did you call asking about your position or anything like that?
I'm still waiting for that first acceptance :(

Accepted students, are any of you still waiting to hear back about your financial aid letters?? Its been months since I got in but I haven't heard anything yet.

Accepted students, are any of you still waiting to hear back about your financial aid letters?? Its been months since I got in but I haven't heard anything yet.

I called a week or so ago, and they told me that they had notified the first round of students who were receiving scholarships, but didn't give me a clear answer as to if there would be a second round/when that second round might hear back. They also told me that we'd hear back regarding loans around the end of June...

I called last Friday and they told me first week of June so.. improvement?

On a side note, does anyone know if the summer financial aid seminar on 6/2 is required?

Hey, what are you guys doing for health insurance? I have mine through work until this week but then will be without one after because I'm leaving... I called VCU and realized the school doesn't offer its own health insurance so I'll have to purchase my own and send in a proof of coverage by July 1st. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to do, or particular insurance that would work? I was looking at the Medicaid stuff but I'm not sure how to get on about that since I'm OOS and it looks like enrollment period has ended, I don't know, it was all very confusing, haha.

Hey, what are you guys doing for health insurance? I have mine through work until this week but then will be without one after because I'm leaving... I called VCU and realized the school doesn't offer its own health insurance so I'll have to purchase my own and send in a proof of coverage by July 1st. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to do, or particular insurance that would work? I was looking at the Medicaid stuff but I'm not sure how to get on about that since I'm OOS and it looks like enrollment period has ended, I don't know, it was all very confusing, haha.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you but I'm losing mine since I'm turning 26 in a few months and will be booted off my parent's plan. You may want to double check with VCU that this is OK for you to do, but what I would do is send in proof of your current coverage with plans to sign up for another one by the time school starts. There are special conditions (i.e. turning 26, starting a new job) that allow you to enroll in health insurance plans outside of the official enrollment periods so this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Has anyone had any luck sending transcripts? I'm trying to figure out who exactly to send them to (email, address, etc.) and haven't found any info on the website in my search...

Has anyone had any luck sending transcripts? I'm trying to figure out who exactly to send them to (email, address, etc.) and haven't found any info on the website in my search...

I sent them to the address listed on the conditions of acceptance PDF on the orientation page. Had no trouble, and they show as received in my portal.

Being a part of facebook isn't required for anything academic, and you'll be just fine without it. Group work is never discussed in there. However, people will sometimes post study guides, helpful videos, notecards and the like. More importantly, the Facebook page is the main source of communicating extracurricular activities. Things like post exam celebrations, volunteer activities, lunch lectures, and things like that are all posted there.

To agree with the point above--I would suggest keeping it, just because there are some post in the FB group that are helpful sometimes, or tell you about lunch lectures, etc. coming up you may be interested in. Though I know multiple students here that do not have one and seem to be just fine.

Just checked my portal today (haven't checked since Friday) and the matriculation form and enrollment fee tabs were on there! I don't see any explicit statements saying I was accepted but based on other replies it sounds like these tabs = acceptance?

Planning to call the school tomorrow to confirm.

In-state, Lizzy-M 65.

Just checked my portal today (haven't checked since Friday) and the matriculation form and enrollment fee tabs were on there! I don't see any explicit statements saying I was accepted but based on other replies it sounds like these tabs = acceptance?

Planning to call the school tomorrow to confirm.

In-state, Lizzy-M 65.

Yup, that's how I learned of my acceptance! The message on the portal's homepage (after you log in) should change within the next couple of days.

Congrats, and if you're attending, I'll see ya in August. :)

Under COBRA (federal regulation) you may be able to extend your employer's program after leaving by paying the premium (which may be more than you paid as an employee if your employer paid part). Employer must have 20 employees for COBRA to be offered. I would suggest enrolling in COBRA or at least checking it out to bridge between old plan and new plan or school's insurance plan for students.

accepted off WL, as of yesterday. when is it safe to withdraw my acceptance from another school to have this one instead? I arleady made the payment and it shows up on my portal.

Accepted off WL as of late Tuesday night. OOS, LM ~70. First acceptance in two cycles. SO thankful and relieved. FWIW, I sent an additional email to the school expressing my continued interest in the program etc etc (my third(?) email I sent them since getting put on the WL), and I received the news less than 24 hours later. For those still waiting, I sincerely have felt that pain. I was making plans to do a Master's degree, retake the MCAT, and get in line for years more waiting. I know that it doesn't have anything to do with your competitiveness; you WILL get in, whether it's later this cycle or next cycle!! Don't lose the faith! Best of wishes to everyone still waiting and those who I will be meeting this August.

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone! I was wondering how we submit immunizations if we do not yet have a VCU eid? I was looking to submit mine before the June 1st deadline but am not sure how.

Hi everyone! I was wondering how we submit immunizations if we do not yet have a VCU eid? I was looking to submit mine before the June 1st deadline but am not sure how.

Someone earlier in the thread said they sent it to the email listed on the certificate of immunizations and received a response stating the paperwork had been placed in their files. I just did the same today, I'll keep you posted on any response I receive!

Accepted off WL as of late Tuesday night. OOS, LM ~70. First acceptance in two cycles. SO thankful and relieved. FWIW, I sent an additional email to the school expressing my continued interest in the program etc etc (my third(?) email I sent them since getting put on the WL), and I received the news less than 24 hours later. For those still waiting, I sincerely have felt that pain. I was making plans to do a Master's degree, retake the MCAT, and get in line for years more waiting. I know that it doesn't have anything to do with your competitiveness; you WILL get in, whether it's later this cycle or next cycle!! Don't lose the faith! Best of wishes to everyone still waiting and those who I will be meeting this August.
Congrats! I was planning on sending them an email as well, but I was unsure of who to send it too. Do you mind sharing who you sent the continued interest email too?

Congrats! I was planning on sending them an email as well, but I was unsure of who to send it too. Do you mind sharing who you sent the continued interest email too?

I sent it to Tiyacca Simms-Jones, who works in admissions I think. I don't remember why I decided to email her, but I seemed to have figured out at some point down the line that she was the right person to email. I would just search her name and you should find her email. Not sure if she is the right person or not though. Best of luck!!

Has anyone been rejected post interview or is VCU's default response to waitlist everyone?

well, this is awkward. I got accepted off the wialtist here on Tuesday and I paid the deposit. Now I got accepted at my top choice ... time to withdraw RIP $100

Anyone withdraw/get off the waitlist recently?

Unfortunately not :/ In other news, I called the admissions office (I spoke to someone named Charmaine) and they said to send in all grade updates to Dr. Cook. The admissions committee is no longer meeting so the decision is up to her. I snuck in a letter of intent when I sent in my biochem grade this past Spring semester tehe. Charmaine also mentioned that the waitlist still has a lot of movement in May! I don't know about you all, but I am hanging on to hope. Probably more like clinging...

Withdrew my offer yesterday. Hope one of you deserving people gets it. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Looking for a female roommate! Already secured an awesome apartment walking distance to campus. Please message me if you're interested :)

twas was fun guys, I'm off the waitlist. peace <3

Hi guys,

I've been waitlised VCU and I'm an in-state applicant. Is there any hope to get off the waitlist or should I look at next cycle???

Hi guys,

I've been waitlised VCU and I'm an in-state applicant. Is there any hope to get off the waitlist or should I look at next cycle???

Hey I was wondering...did you retake the MCAT and improve from your previous score? That could be what's holding you back