**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You forgot Harvard
I'm actually still lost about which 20 schools to be honest. I don't have enough $$ to apply anywhere/everywhere, and I feel like I still don't know how to narrow down strategically

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, today I was accepted to my dream school, I'm beyond ecstatic. It is possible to escape the trench that is the waitlist. Now I have to find out about aid. The hardest decision will be turning down a turner fellowship (full ride and yearly stipend) at Stony Brook or attending Weill Cornell with some debt (granted I don't get full aid)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 15 users
Guys, today I was accepted to my dream school, I'm beyond ecstatic. It is possible to escape the trench that is the waitlist. Now I have to find out about aid. The hardest decision will be turning down a turner fellowship (full ride and yearly stipend) at Stony Brook or attending Weill Cornell with some debt (granted I don't get full aid)

Congratulations!!! & im hoping for this kind of luck

Reactions: 1 user

Congrats! Happy to hear that Cornell came through!

Yo I'm in the exact situation! I think I'm sticking with the money though

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Congratulations! I'm so proud of and happy for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I am an URM and will be applying in the 2018 cycle. I am taking my MCAT July 21st what are some suggestions to speed up my application process while I wait for my scores ?

Hello, I am an URM and will be applying in the 2018 cycle. I am taking my MCAT July 21st what are some suggestions to speed up my application process while I wait for my scores ?

Submit early so only thing you're waiting on is MCAT... prewrite secondaries... hope you score well on the MCAT

Reactions: 3 users
Finally graduated undergrad this past Saturday. Currently packing up my apartment to spend the summer at home and then it's off to med school. Definitely in my feelings but thanks to all of you just for being amazing, inspirational, and informative.

Reactions: 10 users
Finally graduated undergrad this past Saturday. Currently packing up my apartment to spend the summer at home and then it's off to med school. Definitely in my feelings but thanks to all of you just for being amazing, inspirational, and informative.

Congrats! About to take my last final and graduate in a few days so I get your feelings! Have fun this summer!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
This cycle I got a full ride to Tufts Unuversity School of Medicine!

I have been so grateful to all of the advice that i have received so I have spent my time reaching out to other students in case you need help! If you have any questions, please let me know and good luck to everyone applying!

You can do it!

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I have been so grateful to all of the advice that i have received so I have spent my time reaching out to other students in case you need help! If you have any questions, please let me know and good luck to everyone applying!

You can do it!
Congrats!

Finally accepted! I don't even care if there's no scholarship involved. I'm thankful to you all for sharing your stories. As a first-generation college graduate Mexican American that sold tortillas on the street during his childhood, finally being accepted to medical is truly a dream come true.

I hope to make a positive difference in the lives of my patients and encourage others of my background to also pursue their goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Congrats! :clap:
Finally accepted! I don't even care if there's no scholarship involved. I'm thankful to you all for sharing your stories. As a first-generation college graduate Mexican American that sold tortillas on the street during his childhood, finally being accepted to medical is truly a dream come true.

I hope to make a positive difference in the lives of my patient's and encourage others of my background to also pursue their goals.

I hope to make a positive difference in the lives of my patient's and encourage others of my background to also pursue their goals.

¡Felicidades! You will be an amazing doc!

successfully finessed

Last edited:
it's super late in the game but i'm still negotiating scholarships and it's so nerve racking!! Especially because compared to all of you rockstars I'm just a plebeian with very humble stats lol. I'm so nervous!
That's future Dr. Pleab to you

Hey guys quick question, when you have a gap year job, does it influence your financial aid from med schools much? Given the fact that once you start school, you won't have a job anymore?

Hey guys quick question, when you have a gap year job, does it influence your financial aid from med schools much? Given the fact that once you start school, you won't have a job anymore?

No I called numerous schools and they said it doesnt affect at all. Mostly your parents income will be the deciding factor

More than likely you're using taxes from prior years now that FAFSA has changed. I believe students are currently using 2015 taxes for 17/18 FAFSA.

no probs congrats on being a fancy ivy leaguer!!! you deserve it!

Hahaha thanks, but I'm still waiting to officially call it. I'm dying to get the financial aid package, hopefully this week because I have to make a decision by Sunday

Got a scholarship that is enough to cover a year's worth of rent! Beyond excited. It's been such a great cycle. I hope all of you are partying or getting ready to party before we start school:banana:. You guys are all amazing, and thank you for all the support. God bless you all :love:

Reactions: 12 users
Got a scholarship that is enough to cover a year's worth of rent! Beyond excited. It's been such a great cycle. I hope all of you are partying or getting ready to party before we start school:banana:. You guys are all amazing, and thank you for all the support. God bless you all :love:
Congrats!!! I claim a bit of that for myself!!!!

So I was just asked for monthly living and expense from my parents in order for the school to give me a financial aid award letter. 1) Do I just give them a number or is it some form that I have to hand in? 2) is it just the amount of money my parents spend in a month? I greatly appreciate any answers to this, the school emailed me late and has not replied to my questions and I want to hand this in ASAP

Just made a decision guys, and I will be going to Weill! Albeit some debt but it's worth it to pursue my dream. That being said I withdrew from Stony and the Turner fellowship I got there so anyone from this group waiting on that, I pray you get it.

So happy for you and proud! :love:

Just made a decision guys, and I will be going to Weill! Albeit some debt but it's worth it to pursue my dream. That being said I withdrew from Stony and the Turner fellowship I got there so anyone from this group waiting on that, I pray you get it.

Congratulations! #IvyLeague

Congrats on being a fancy ivy league student! !!

Hey everyone!

Did any of you apply to Loyola and would you be so kind as to look over one of my secondary question responses?

Thanks a bunch

You can do it!
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Everyone come back for like 3mins of yall time. I got a late as hell update. I wanted to spam y'all instead of the new thread since this is where I started when I applied for 2016-2017 cycle. Any-who if anyone remembers I got 1 interview last cycle was placed on hold then rejected. Well I applied to a post bacc program that allows you to kinda be a "M0", students will take first year med school classes with the other first years and as long as keep a certain GPA average then they matriculate officially the following year. I found out I was ACCEPTED a few days ago. Classes start in a month. I have no choice but to succeed in this program so I'm speaking it now I'm going to medical school next year!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Everyone come back for like 3mins of yall time. I got a late as hell update. I wanted to spam y'all instead of the new thread since this is where I started when I applied for 2016-2017 cycle. Any-who if anyone remembers I got 1 interview last cycle was placed on hold then rejected. Well I applied to a post bacc program that allows you to kinda be a "M0", students will take first year med school classes with the other first years and as long as keep a certain GPA average then they matriculate officially the following year. I found out I was ACCEPTED a few days ago. Classes start in a month. I have no choice but to succeed in this program so I'm speaking it now I'm going to medical school next year!!!

You got this!

Yeeeeeesssss! Miracles man, miracles!

Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats?

MCAT: 510
sGPA: 3.7
undergrad GPA:3.6
Postbac GPA: 3.9
Non traditional (25)
First Author Pub at top 10 University
15+ publications as top 10 University
12 poster presentation
Ton of clinical experience/Shadowing

Its all about how you sell yourself!

Last edited:
MCAT: 510
sGPA: 3.7
undergrad GPA:3.6
Postbad GPA: 3.9
Non traditional (25)
First Author Pub at top 10 University
15+ publications as top 10 University
12 poster presentation
Ton of clinical experience/Shadowing

Its all about how you sell yourself!
Wow your ECs are phenomenal!

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check in. Offer space for decompression, debriefing, or small talk. I have been very challenged, even at such a progressive school, with race relations and cultural humility. The minority tax is high, and I'm trying to still have strength even in those situations. Sigh.

Reactions: 3 users
W
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check in. Offer space for decompression, debriefing, or small talk. I have been very challenged, even at such a progressive school, with race relations and cultural humility. The minority tax is high, and I'm trying to still have strength even in those situations. Sigh.

What happened?

Hey @WhittyPsyche I can relate. Transitioning has been a bit challenging. I think for me, it is most unsettling to notice people's implicit biases being played out...no matter how "liberal" or "open-minded" they think that they are and it's quite tiring sometimes

Hey @WhittyPsyche I can relate. Transitioning has been a bit challenging. I think for me, it is most unsettling to notice people's implicit biases being played out...no matter how "liberal" or "open-minded" they think that they are and it's quite tiring sometimes

Exactly this! I don't know, but if feels even worse when I see the white liberalism play out.

I'm struggling in Anatomy as for race stuff haven't experienced such a thing besides a guy asking me do black women like white men

I'm struggling in Anatomy as for race stuff haven't experienced such a thing besides a guy asking me do black women like white men
I havent experienced anything as well. I dont mind questions as the one above because people are just generally curious about race stuff and I rather talk to them about it than have them keep their biases.

I am doing good in Anatomy so far, but I have been studying hard and not feeling victimized even though a Indian classmate asked me if I ever dated an Indian man. It's odd I told him "not yet". I thought his question was sincere and he seems really nice.
I am a little torn I know I am too busy to date, but I should have plenty of social justice warrior time....