**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This cycle was agonizing but now it feels like it went by so fast.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm glad to have gone through it with you beautiful people!

Reactions: 4 users
Please guys, let's try to stick around through school and help future generations!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
feelin so sad and nostalgic right now, yall are dope. BTW facebook group is two members away from hitting 100. we made moves yall.

Has anybody announced to their family and friends what school they plan to attend? I was kinda thinking I would change my education of Facebook and let the status post serve as an announcement but I don't know if that is corny or not. I'm really just not a flashy type of person(my mom wanted to do the whole shirt reveal thing) and I kinda just want everybody and their distant cousin, half brother and ex boyfriend little brother's best friend to stop asking me where I'm going lol.

I haven't, but my family is throwing me a Decision Day party complete with hats from every school. Its a lot but I've been working and waiting so hard for this, so imma be extra AF!

Reactions: 5 users
I haven't, but my family is throwing me a Decision Day party complete with hats from every school. Its a lot but I've been working and waiting so hard for this, so imma be extra AF!

"The Decision"... You should livestream the whole thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Wish I would have found this thread a year ago! There is a lot of hate out there in SDN

There's s 2017-2018 application thread... wow it's been real y'all...

That made me feel so old for some reason. We literally just got in but the process felt so much longer than it was. Good luck to the next wave!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hello all! Good to see that the best thread on sdn is alive and kicking.

I am having a really difficult time deciding between 4 schools by 4/30. Well, I think its more so that I feel a bit guilty turning them down and also unsure if I'm making the best decision. Two of them have offered juicy scholarships, and I thought that would make it easier to choose but it actually complicated things. How are others with multiple acceptance to schools you like/love dealing with this?
Secondly, It's annoying that the other 2 schools emailed me saying they won't send out their aid package/scholarships until "end of April" ?? Like, today is April 21st... I'm pretty sure that constitutes as "end of April." smh. Let's hope for Monday/Tuesday of next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! Good to see that the best thread on sdn is alive and kicking.

I am having a really difficult time deciding between 4 schools by 4/30. Well, I think its more so that I feel a bit guilty turning them down and also unsure if I'm making the best decision. Two of them have offered juicy scholarships, and I thought that would make it easier to choose but it actually complicated things. How are others with multiple acceptance to schools you like/love dealing with this?
Secondly, It's annoying that the other 2 schools emailed me saying they won't send out their aid package/scholarships until "end of April" ?? Like, today is April 21st... I'm pretty sure that constitutes as "end of April." smh. Let's hope for Monday/Tuesday of next week.

I looked at a lot of factors but two huge things were fit and opportunity. I had similar financial packages in 3/6 schools so I could focus a little more on personal preference along with what school I felt would set me up the best for the future (aka where I felt as though I could truly thrive through taking advantage of the school's resources). Sending those withdrawal e-mails aren't fun but after I felt sooo much better.

I looked at a lot of factors but two huge things were fit and opportunity. I had similar financial packages in 3/6 schools so I could focus a little more on personal preference along with what school I felt would set me up the best for the future (aka where I felt as though I could truly thrive through taking advantage of the school's resources). Sending those withdrawal e-mails aren't fun but after I felt sooo much better.

Thanks for your input. Yeah, they are all definitely on different levels as far as personal preference. I absolutely love one of them and think that it would be a the best fit so it should be a no-brainer, but something is holding me back from fully committing and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. Yeah, they are all definitely on different levels as far as personal preference. I absolutely love one of them and think that it would be a the best fit so it should be a no-brainer, but something is holding me back from fully committing and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Fear of missing out

So I can finally join the bad a*s financial aid train that's been going on. I got a scholarship that paid for 3/4 of my tuition. My number 2 school has quickly jumped into top spot. I feel so happy knowing debt will not be unbearable in the future.

Reactions: 17 users
So I can finally join the bad a*s financial aid train that's been going on. I got a scholarship that paid for 3/4 of my tuition. My number 2 school has quickly jumped into top spot. I feel so happy knowing debt will not be unbearable in the future.
Yay! Congrats!

Bruhhh congrats! And before April 30th!!

Thanks ! Still waiting on another school for personal reasons (location aND support system) but this is a hard offer to turn down
bruh lets gooooooooo, I knew it was comin for you

Picturing you right now " You know so we never really had no old money. We got a whole lotta new money though"

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to all of you!

Did you all have research? I'm trying to decide what to do for the next 2 years. I'm not applying until next cycle.

Congrats to all of you!

Did you all have research? I'm trying to decide what to do for the next 2 years. I'm not applying until next cycle.
I had no official research experience but I did work in a diagnostics lab. On my PS/secondaries I talked a lot about my volunteering and leadership experiences. Whatever your "anchor" is, write about it passionately.

Quick question guys: what's exactly is the format for withdrawing from schools?

Log in to your portal for each school and check. Some will have a simple tab to click withdraw, some will have instructions with an email on where to send the withdrawal letter ( quick email withdrawing with sincere thanks)

This feels weird, man. I never thought I would even go to medical school at all at one point, talk less be this blessed to have to choose one. Today is most definitely a humbling show of how awesome God is. Looking back at the past roller coaster of a year and a half since I decided to be premed, I see how much one's life can change with one choice (in this case for the better).

For all of you applying this cycle, I pray you all succeed and have an even bigger testimony. You literally have no limits on how far you can go. I hope we could all be a source of encouragement and positivity in a world that lacks it so much. Always encourage each other; look for the best in everything and everyone. You never know where you will meet your future colleagues and good friends.

I have never been one to be on internet sites like this, but I genuinely thank God for each of you and enjoy your online company. You are all a giant light (so much so that I refresh this page more than I do Facebook). I really do hope I meet all of you someday. It would be a great thing.

Reactions: 13 users
Finally my cycle is over and I am 100% sure where I will be ending up. I can finally unwatch all these school specific threads and plan my life accordingly

Reactions: 12 users
Congrats Chelsea FC!!

Hey again everyone!
Just wanted to update you all that I took my MCAT and am currently approaching the end of the excruciating purgatory until score release ( May 2nd!!! AHHH). In the meantime, I was wondering where I should be posting or if any of y'all have any free time to look over/help me with my personal statement. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks a lot!

Congrats Chelsea FC!!

Hey again everyone!
Just wanted to update you all that I took my MCAT and am currently approaching the end of the excruciating purgatory until score release ( May 2nd!!! AHHH). In the meantime, I was wondering where I should be posting or if any of y'all have any free time to look over/help me with my personal statement. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks a lot!
As always, I am going to plug our growing Facebook group Log into Facebook | Facebook . We have students currently in medical school or admitted, to people applying just like you. It is a positive place where people are willing to help any way that they can with reading PS etc. Feel free to check us out!

Just got accepted to Morehouse SOM minutes ago! Crazy day I just withdrew my acceptance from Colorado this morning and they called me asking if I was still interested as I was accepted elsewhere and I was like "lady I've been waiting on you"! So Happy!

Reactions: 16 users
Just got accepted to Morehouse SOM minutes ago! Crazy day I just withdrew my acceptance from Colorado this morning and they called me asking if I was still interested as I was accepted elsewhere and I was like "lady I've been waiting on you"! So Happy!
Congrats!!

Hahaha that's very honest! I'm sure they are ecstatic to have you!

Old folk, someone just started a final decision post in the fb group. Go rep yo squad (if you've decided)

Yayay! Is that where you're headed?!

Yup! Morehouse was one of my top choices and its in-state for me! I loved living in Atl for undergrad and look forward to doing so again.

Yesss! I loved my MSM interview, so I know you're going to love it there!!

Thinking about finally joining that Facebook group since my cycle is over. Want to repost it ?

Thinking about finally joining that Facebook group since my cycle is over. Want to repost it ?
As always, I am going to plug our growing Facebook group Log into Facebook | Facebook . We have students currently in medical school or admitted, to people applying just like you. It is a positive place where people are willing to help any way that they can with reading PS etc. Feel free to check us out!

Accepted to my #1 school UTMB yesterday after being waitlisted!!Literally wrote a letter of intent the day before, then yesterday provided screenshots of a class requirement they wanted to verify. 10 minutes later they hit me with an acceptance
Congrats! You're going places!

Accepted to my #1 school UTMB yesterday after being waitlisted!!Literally wrote a letter of intent the day before, then yesterday provided screenshots of a class requirement they wanted to verify. 10 minutes later they hit me with an acceptance
Ayyyyeeee

Hello guys, I was accepted to meharry medical school.. BUT my top school is UTMB.. I'm OOS URM so the chances of my getting into a Texas school is slim to none. I wrote a letter of intent but im not sure where to send it too? Have any of you guys had experience with LOI.

Hey y'all can you help me choose schools to maximize my chance of admittance? Thanks!

Lizzy M: 71.1
MCAT: 516 ( 130/129/128/129)
GPA: 3.6
URM: AA female
Top 15 undergrad

Volunteering:

-One of about 20 students in scholar program for community involvement, 2 academic years of community planning and involvement work
-mentor to underclassmen, two semesters ( still in touch as needed)
-Habitat for humanity ~45 hours of building

Shadowing:
-Intern abroad at medical center, worked with children to address health issues and prevent school drop out in community 3 months ( also volunteering)
-scribing

Research:
-1 academic year sociology research
-1 semester of chemistry research with podium presentation

Extracurricular:
-president of pre-medical student group through which I volunteered at local hospital, planned different philanthropy, mentorship and leadership events.( 1 year as president, two years as member)
-event planner for large event as member of minority pre-med society
-Team member of national organization for global work, organized a national conference as part of group ( 1 year)

Employment:
-work study in customer service for 1 academic year
-tutor as part of work-study ( 1.5 yrs)

Other/hobbies:
raised money as part of community effort for refugees
won second place in an international writing contest on societal issues
award for student organization
school profiles on my activities
scholarships
reading, running, soccer, singing

LORs:
3 science, 1 non-science, 2 activity

Tentative List:

Ballpark:
Tulane
Albany
Rush
Hofstra
Kimmel
WakeForest
Tufts
GW
Gtown
St. Louis

Reach:
Brown
Keck
UCLA-Geffen
Emory
Mayo

Hella Reach:
Dartmouth
Boston U
Cornell
UPenn
Ichan
Pittsburgh
Duke
Northwestern

Dreams:
Columbia
Stanford
NYU
Uchicago
WashU
Johns Hopkins

I would post in the WAMC subforum to get the best advice you can.

How many hours did you spend during research and volunteering. Cause if you did only like 50 hours over 1 year that's not going to turn any heads.

With that being said with your GPA and MCAT combo you can pretty much apply anywhere as long as your hours are adequate!:)

I would post in the WAMC subforum to get the best advice you can.

How many hours did you spend during research and volunteering. Cause if you did only like 50 hours over 1 year that's not going to turn any heads.

With that being said with your GPA and MCAT combo you can pretty much apply anywhere as long as your hours are adequate!:)

I already did hehe but have not yet received responses ( clearly patience is not my virtue).

Oh, you're right- I'll go and add up hours. Thanks!!

Happy to hear so have you decided?

Hey y'all can you help me choose schools to maximize my chance of admittance? Thanks!

Lizzy M: 71.1
MCAT: 516 ( 130/129/128/129)
GPA: 3.6
URM: AA female
Top 15 undergrad

Volunteering:

-One of about 20 students in scholar program for community involvement, 2 academic years of community planning and involvement work
-mentor to underclassmen, two semesters ( still in touch as needed)
-Habitat for humanity ~45 hours of building

Shadowing:
-Intern abroad at medical center, worked with children to address health issues and prevent school drop out in community 3 months ( also volunteering)
-scribing

Research:
-1 academic year sociology research
-1 semester of chemistry research with podium presentation

Extracurricular:
-president of pre-medical student group through which I volunteered at local hospital, planned different philanthropy, mentorship and leadership events.( 1 year as president, two years as member)
-event planner for large event as member of minority pre-med society
-Team member of national organization for global work, organized a national conference as part of group ( 1 year)

Employment:
-work study in customer service for 1 academic year
-tutor as part of work-study ( 1.5 yrs)

Other/hobbies:
raised money as part of community effort for refugees
won second place in an international writing contest on societal issues
award for student organization
school profiles on my activities
scholarships
reading, running, soccer, singing

LORs:
3 science, 1 non-science, 2 activity