**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I saw that!!!! What ever you do don't go to reddit/r/premed, I was strolling by and someone posted it and people went psycho about it :depressed:

Melanin is one hell of a trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Psycho as in 56 commenters saying it's not newsworthy, why should we care, URM blah blah blah.

Truly it is

That's crazy.

Honestly, yes tons of people get multiple acceptances. But I don't think that's why it's newsworthy. I think her success from a small "local" school is great for other students to have more confidence.

I also think it's not general knowledge of how difficult it is to get into medical school, so a small segment expressing how incredible an accomplishment it is, is great!

Reactions: 3 users
Got the Fin Aid I was waiting on and can withdraw from all my schools now! Happy to be able to make a decision early and help everyone on waitlists get some movement going.

Reactions: 15 users
Got the Fin Aid I was waiting on and can withdraw from all my schools now! Happy to be able to make a decision early and help everyone on waitlists get some movement going.

I am both curious and nosy care to share? PM me if you don't want to do it public

I am both curious and nosy care to share? PM me if you don't want to do it public

Oh no secret lol, was waiting for UCSF MD-only program. They don't give merit scholarships so I was holding onto hope that the package would be doable to competed with the UCSF-Berkeley program.

I got full tuition in grants and a small living supplement. The rest of my COL is loans, fortunately not the grad PLUS. So it's competitive with my full tuition scholarships.

Reactions: 7 users
Oh no secret lol, was waiting for UCSF MD-only program. They don't give merit scholarships so I was holding onto hope that the package would be doable to competed with the UCSF-Berkeley program.

I got full tuition in grants and a small living supplement. The rest of my COL is loans, fortunately not the grad PLUS. So it's competitive with my full tuition scholarships.

Dam, you really are super mom! ! Congrats

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you!

How is it going getting the financial information from your schools?

Painful and slow. And when I do get my package I haven't gotten anything of worth. I guess all my luck ran out. But I am greatful to have multiple acceptances so I have to be greatful.

Painful and slow. And when I do get my package I haven't gotten anything of worth. I guess all my luck ran out. But I am greatful to have multiple acceptances so I have to be greatful.

Yes of course. Just stay positive. It will all work out. Also I started looking into scholarships for med students, unfortunately none of them start for first year but better late than never.

Have you looked into that? One school has a website with a list of all, and a separate list for minorities/diversity outside scholarships. I have to find it.

Yes of course. Just stay positive. It will all work out. Also I started looking into scholarships for med students, unfortunately none of them start for first year but better late than never.

Have you looked into that? One school has a website with a list of all, and a separate list for minorities/diversity outside scholarships. I have to find it.

Yeah i researched that as well. Most of them are for after you started your first year or their deadline has already passed

The only positive of having less than attractive financial offers is that you can go to where you are happiest /my gut choice without feeling guilty about turning down money

Members don't see this ad :)
The only positive of having less than attractive financial offers is that you can go to where you are happiest /my gut choice without feeling guilty about turning down money

That's true! Honestly I think that's the best way. I realized how much my happiness and fit meant some time ago. The financial part matters, but it's like an extinction curve at a certain point.

So my persistence has paid off and some of the schools who said I won't know my financial info until after I commit to them after April 30th have finally caved and gave me scholarships. Sadly it has been measly when you compare it to their COA.

Anyone here doing research over the summer? I'm too poor to travel and I'll be relocating early. Would be great to start forming connections with faculty. Otherwise, I'm considering some seasonal/temp occupations to meet some locals.

Frickin boss, Good Lord.

Melanin is one hell of a trigger.

This is quote-worthy...like in general

Anyone here doing research over the summer? I'm too poor to travel and I'll be relocating early. Would be great to start forming connections with faculty. Otherwise, I'm considering some seasonal/temp occupations to meet some locals.

I am! Just relocated this week. Will be working-doing so clinical work part time and then research part time with a faculty member.

Reactions: 2 users
I am! Just relocated this week. Will be working-doing so clinical work part time and then research part time with a faculty member.

That's awesome! Are you part of a research/internship program? How did you make a connection with the faculty member you will be working with? If I may ask, what field will your research involve?

That's awesome! Are you part of a research/internship program? How did you make a connection with the faculty member you will be working with? If I may ask, what field will your research involve?

No internship. My clinical stuff is an actual job I applied to before the move and the research I contacted the faculty member via their lab website. It's in NSG.

I read all 52 pages today and I must say you guys are all fantastic! I'll be applying to medical schools (again) this cycle, and this thread gives me so much motivation. Kudos to all of you! :highfive:

Reactions: 16 users
I read all 52 pages today and I must say you guys are all fantastic! I'll be applying to medical schools (again) this cycle, and this thread gives me so much motivation. Kudos to all of you! :highfive:

^ Likewise (not all in one day though, lol). Congrats to all of you! Hoping for similar success when I apply next cycle!

Reactions: 2 users

^ Likewise (not all in one day though, lol). Congrats to all of you! Hoping for similar success when I apply next cycle!
I am willing to take any and all questions you guys have no matter how small .

Reactions: 6 users
I have casually been on SDN for two years and did not realize this sub forum existed till today! It's nice to see such strong support.

So just to be clear, in order to commit to a school, you just withdraw all your other acceptances?

I high-key miss yall. Anyone make any final decisions?

Reactions: 4 users
Wasn't able to attend my interview there because of money. It's one of the ones I regret missing.

They were so much more than what I could have ever expected. But you still killed the game so lol

Has anybody announced to their family and friends what school they plan to attend? I was kinda thinking I would change my education of Facebook and let the status post serve as an announcement but I don't know if that is corny or not. I'm really just not a flashy type of person(my mom wanted to do the whole shirt reveal thing) and I kinda just want everybody and their distant cousin, half brother and ex boyfriend little brother's best friend to stop asking me where I'm going lol.

Has anybody announced to their family and friends what school they plan to attend? I was kinda thinking I would change my education of Facebook and let the status post serve as an announcement but I don't know if that is corny or not. I'm really just not a flashy type of person(my mom wanted to do the whole shirt reveal thing) and I kinda just want everybody and their distant cousin, half brother and ex boyfriend little brother's best friend to stop asking me where I'm going lol.

I still havent made up my mind yet (late I know). The facebook update is corny but you worked hard for it so you deserve to be corny. I dont get what you mean by the shirt reveal thing though ?? A pic of your white coat ceremony ?

Reactions: 1 user
I think the education status change corny, but if you mean just a status that's says "hey guys I've decided to attend X school" that's cool.

I think the education status change corny, but if you mean just a status that's says "hey guys I've decided to attend X school" that's cool.

Yeah thats what I did today, just posted a status thanking the people that helped me out and let me sleep on their couch during interview season lol

Yeah thats what I did today, just posted a status thanking the people that helped me out and let me sleep on their couch during interview season lol
where did u decided to go ? Pm if you dont want to do it public

I still havent made up my mind yet (late I know). The facebook update is corny but you worked hard for it so you deserve to be corny. I dont get what you mean by the shirt reveal thing though ?? A pic of your white coat ceremony ?

I graduate undergrad in a couple weeks and am having a get together after with friends and family. My mom thought it would be a good idea for me to wear a t shirt with the name of the school I've picked but that's not my style

I graduate undergrad in a couple weeks and am having a get together after with friends and family. My mom thought it would be a good idea for me to wear a t shirt with the name of the school I've picked but that's not my style

Ha ha ha Don't do this!! Ha ha ha. Crazy mom's and their ideas, I know she means well but don't do it plzzzz. It just reminds me of pregnant women wearing shirts saying it's a boy.

Ha ha ha Don't do this!! Ha ha ha. Crazy mom's and their ideas, I know she means well but don't do it plzzzz. It just reminds me of pregnant women wearing shirts saying it's a boy.

Don't worry. I rejected that idea immediately lol.

I envy you all who know where you are going. Still in limbo waiting for that moment where i can envision myself for 4 years.

I'm elated for everyone's success in this forum! I only hope to experience some of the success I've seen here during my app cycle this year.

Does anyone know when the URM App thread for 2017-2018 will be up?

Good luck to everyone applying soon!

I'm elated for everyone's success in this forum! I only hope to experience some of the success I've seen here during my app cycle this year.

Does anyone know when the URM App thread for 2017-2018 will be up?

Good luck to everyone applying soon!

Whenever a 2017-2018 applicant makes one. Or I suppose we could go ahead and do it? I certainly don't mind.

It's not too early!

Last edited:

Something that I saw that's mildly corny was a Facebook status from a classmate talking about something good that happened in his day, and he signed it at the bottom saying his name, school + MD Candidate Class of 2021. Thought it was kind of cute and subtle.

Yeah, I was gonna do it but I wasn't sure I was allowed. As long as it's done by early May, it should be good.

Whenever a 2017-2018 applicant makes one. Or I suppose we could go ahead and do it? I certainly don't mind.

It's not too early!

Yeah, I was gonna do it but I wasn't sure I was allowed. As long as it's done by early May, it should be good.

Looking forward to getting to know you and hearing about all of your accolades + future acceptances! I'll also be applying next cycle :)