**2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No do pop up yoruba demon for here ooo...Mschheeeeewww.....:laugh:

Read (for all my non-pidgin friends): don't come here trying to get girls...

Lol. I am trying to shed the yoruba demon image...that will be my 2018 resolution. But what you expect when a proper ajegunle boy is surrounded by women with so much knowledge, history and future....(I hope anyone sensitive doesn't get this innuendo).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. I am trying to shed the yoruba demon image...that will be my 2018 resolution. But what you expect when a proper ajegunle boy is surrounded by women with so much knowledge, history and future....(I hope anyone sensitive doesn't get this innuendo).
I expect a yoruba man and not a yoruba boy... the gist: shed the image fast my brother, and maybe you can be a proper ajegunle man yet..;)
No shade, just throwing advice...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I've disappeared for awhile now, but just wanted to say that I got into my first choice (which was also my worst interview). I cried real tears today.

Reactions: 15 users
Reactions: 2 users
I expect a yoruba man and not a yoruba boy... the gist: shed the image fast my brother, and maybe you can be a proper ajegunle man yet..;)
No shade, just throwing advice...

I see you sipping the haterade. I was obviously translating directly from yoruba. No wahala though

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

Fellow African living in america. I know this is the 2016-2017 app cycle but I just wanted to say I've been creeping on you all over the past few months and wanted to say congratulations on your acceptances and I hope you all find your way to amazing programs where you succeed and blossom :highfive:

Also alternative motives - I'm applying this coming cycle and have had some serious issues with test anxiety. I've pushed my exam date a few times and am currently signed up to take 3/31. I took FL 1 today and received a 516 and I'm wondering what y'all's advice is on postponing my exam ( again). The main reason I've hesitated and postponed this far is because of my 3.6 GPA and insane fear of failure; I'm so scared that if I don't achieve a 520+ score, my numbers will weigh my application down. Please let me know if y'all have any advice/sorry for hijacking the thread for a bit.

Hi everyone,

Fellow African living in america. I know this is the 2016-2017 app cycle but I just wanted to say I've been creeping on you all over the past few months and wanted to say congratulations on your acceptances and I hope you all find your way to amazing programs where you succeed and blossom :highfive:

Also alternative motives - I'm applying this coming cycle and have had some serious issues with test anxiety. I've pushed my exam date a few times and am currently signed up to take 3/31. I took FL 1 today and received a 516 and I'm wondering what y'all's advice is on postponing my exam ( again). The main reason I've hesitated and postponed this far is because of my 3.6 GPA and insane fear of failure; I'm so scared that if I don't achieve a 520+ score, my numbers will weigh my application down. Please let me know if y'all have any advice/sorry for hijacking the thread for a bit.

Lolol.( not laughing at you btw) DO NOT POSTPONE. Your score right now will get you into any school in the country as long as you have your other activities in order. Seriously the percentage of URM's with a 3.6 GPA and a 516 MCAT is exceedingly small. Even with 510+ you could get into Harvard, Yale etc.

I would just focus on taking more practice tests to refine your skills and make sure that you can consistently hit 512 or more.

You're gonna do amazing this cycle I can already tell :)

Reactions: 3 users
Untitled.jpg
Hi everyone,

If u have a 516 with a 3.6 you and all else is good with your application(EC, volunteering etc) and you can interview like a normal human you will have your pick of schools to apply to, including top 20 schools. You are in a tremendous position and if that practice MCAT score turns out to be what you get on the real thing you are in a very strong position come application time. Take a look at the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid if you keep these numbers and the rest of your application is good you have a 90+% chance of getting in.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

@Chromium Surfer @Chelsea FC Thank you both for the quick response. I'm not going to postpone again. I hope to improve a bit in the next few days and, God willing, beat this thing. Send any surpluses of blessings this way, please.

I'm applying this coming cycle and have had some serious issues with test anxiety. I've pushed my exam date a few times and am currently signed up to take 3/31. I took FL 1 today and received a 516 and I'm wondering what y'all's advice is on postponing my exam ( again). The main reason I've hesitated and postponed this far is because of my 3.6 GPA and insane fear of failure; I'm so scared that if I don't achieve a 520+ score, my numbers will weigh my application down. Please let me know if y'all have any advice/sorry for hijacking the thread for a bit.

Lol, and I'm over here crying at the unlikelihood of me breaking 508.

You're gonna do amazing!!!! Keep it up. Stop worrying (after you look at the data. It's on your side.)

Members don't see this ad :)
@OchemOficionado Don't doubt your self prince, it took me quite the journey to make any progress, just keep pushing at it and you'll see your scores climb. Sending you strength and good vibes:biglove:

Hi everyone,

Lolol.( not laughing at you btw) DO NOT POSTPONE. Your score right now will get you into any school in the country as long as you have your other activities in order. Seriously the percentage of URM's with a 3.6 GPA and a 516 MCAT is exceedingly small. Even with 510+ you could get into Harvard, Yale etc.

I would just focus on taking more practice tests to refine your skills and make sure that you can consistently hit 512 or more.

You're gonna do amazing this cycle I can already tell :)

View attachment 216145
If u have a 516 with a 3.6 you and all else is good with your application(EC, volunteering etc) and you can interview like a normal human you will have your pick of schools to apply to, including top 20 schools. You are in a tremendous position and if that practice MCAT score turns out to be what you get on the real thing you are in a very strong position come application time. Take a look at the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid if you keep these numbers and the rest of your application is good you have a 90+% chance of getting in.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf
I second all of these. You will be fine by God's grace. Part of the way I tried to mitigate that anxiety was to practice talking a full-length under test conditions repeatedly. At this point, do that, read the rationale for the one you missed, and pray. I'm praying for you too!!!

I'm trying to find some affordable vacation spots or activities to do during the summer.. any ideas? What are those who've been accepted up to?

I'm working until the middle of may, and I'm figuring out details now so I can go to Toronto, Miami, and Vegas before I have to become a hobbit lbs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm working until the middle of may, and I'm figuring out details now so I can go to Toronto, Miami, and Vegas before I have to become a hobbit lbs

I'm also working until mid may, then going to Japan to visit family before my program starts mid-summer.

I'm trying to find some affordable vacation spots or activities to do during the summer.. any ideas? What are those who've been accepted up to?

Lol, Disney World. I've never been so might as well while I have the chance.

Hi all. I hope everyone is having a great cycle. Has anyone had any luck finding outside scholarships for entering MS1s like us? From what I see, it looks like you have to wait until you are in medical school already to apply for the majority of these.

Hi all. I hope everyone is having a great cycle. Has anyone had any luck finding outside scholarships for entering MS1s like us? From what I see, it looks like you have to wait until you are in medical school already to apply for the majority of these.

You'll have to look for seemingly random scholarships... I've applied for quite a few that have nothing to do with medicine but are for graduate school or women (minorities too) in general.

They often won't say "medical students included" but I took to emailing the organizations and asking if I could apply.

Having a hard time finding much more and many have dates that have already passed once I've dug them up.

You'll have to look for seemingly random scholarships... I've applied for quite a few that have nothing to do with medicine but are for graduate school or women (minorities too) in general.

They often won't say "medical students included" but I took to emailing the organizations and asking if I could apply.

Having a hard time finding much more and many have dates that have already passed once I've dug them up.

Also, if either of you are going to school in-state sometimes there are also delegate and senatorial scholarships you can apply to

Last edited:

I hear you with the affordable ideas lol, I want to have fun but I have to be mindful of my finances. I am non traditional so I have a full time job that I've decided to leave about a month before school starts. I'm planning a trip to the gulf shores (5-6 hour drive) to go to the beach with my boyfriend and some friends. I'm also going to visit my family in Phoenix, although it will be super hot then, it's a really fun city and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time with my family before immersing myself in school.

I'm going to Miami for my B-day in 2 weeks, and will be in LA for a boxing match in late April. If you use google flights you can see into the future what days are cheapest to fly. For example I got 2 roundtrip tickets to LA for only $300 coming out of ATL!

I'm going to Miami for my B-day in 2 weeks, and will be in LA for a boxing match in late April. If you use google flights you can see into the future what days are cheapest to fly. For example I got 2 roundtrip tickets to LA for only $300 coming out of ATL!
Google flights and skyscanner are super useful! I also recommend signing up for mileage points or getting a credit card that racks up travel miles. I've been doing it for a while, traveling during interview season for example gave me mad miles. I live in the Southwest and I'm going to Europe in June, $500 round-trip.

Reactions: 4 users

Try cheap caribbean. You can find cheap all inclusive trips. You can also compare to priceline or expedia. If you are interested in Puerto Rico, you can usually find a trip for $450 with flight and hotel.

Ahhh ok so that's the trick. I'll definitely try that then. Thank you!!!

Also, if either of you are going to school in-state sometimes there are also delegate and senatorial scholarships you can apply to

Never knew there was such a thing. I will most likely be going to my state school, so this is a big help. Thank you!!!

The price difference in tuition is about $15,000, but the cost of living in DC is considerably higher than in Detroit; but I felt like I vibed with Howard a bit more
15k isn't that big of a difference...hard decision... if you're feeling Howard more I would go with the best fit but it's tough because it's seems that they both have their pros

15k isn't that big of a difference...hard decision... if you're feeling Howard more I would go with the best fit but it's tough because it's seems that they both have their pros

15k difference in tuition only (if I am understanding correctly) per year. I personally think that is a big difference, even given our earning potential. D.C. will surely add quite a bit more for living expenses. If taking this all out in loans... it will end up being a difference of 100k or more when you factor in interest capitalization. The average medical student has around $166,000 in debt post-graduation. I wouldn't toss fit to the wind, because it does matter. But use a loan calculator once you get (or now if you have them) your full financial aid packages.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I too had a 3.6 and got a 512 on one of the AAMC. I too thought I needed 520 to get in. I got a 509 and did fine. I understand the feeling of not thinking you are competitive when you are clearly competitive. What you should be worried about is not making this test bigger than it actually is and controlling your anxiety. You are obviously doing something right and you will kill your cycle.

15k difference in tuition only (if I am understanding correctly) per year. I personally think that is a big difference, even given our earning potential. D.C. will surely add quite a bit more for living expenses. If taking this all out in loans... it will end up being a difference of 100k or more when you factor in interest capitalization. The average medical student has around $166,000 in debt post-graduation. I wouldn't toss fit to the wind, because it does matter. But use a loan calculator once you get (or now if you have them) your full financial aid packages.
Well I feel stupid. I thought it was 15k total for some reason... Go to the cheaper school.

Google flights and skyscanner are super useful! I also recommend signing up for mileage points or getting a credit card that racks up travel miles. I've been doing it for a while, traveling during interview season for example gave me mad miles. I live in the Southwest and I'm going to Europe in June, $500 round-trip.

Also check out airfarespot.com and other flight deal/glitch sites, they're awesome for finding reasonably priced travel. Groupon also has a lot of "all-inclusive + flight" vacations as well.

Yeah it seems like trips with family might be the move for me as well. I heart skips a beat Everytime I look at international flight prices

Lol I have friends in med school and law school and they all take these international trips before school and during breaks and I'm like ok rockefeller. I may not be going to the south of France but I'm alright with my all expenses paid trip to Phoenix bahaha

Reactions: 5 users
Lol I have friends in med school and law school and they all take these international trips before school and during breaks and I'm like ok rockefeller. I may not be going to the south of France but I'm alright with my all expenses paid trip to Phoenix bahaha

Screaming @ "ok Rockefeller" lolololol

Reactions: 6 users
Shoutout to a fellow ATLien! My birthday is right arounds yours what day are you

Girl.

Drake's new release. It's a playlist/album. It's available on most platforms. Spotify, Amazon Prime, Apple Music are the ones I know have it.

I'm clearly swine lmao lemme go head and give it a listen. Will report back with reviews

This is the most versatile and explosive project from drake I've seen in a while. The transitions between songs is real smooth, my favorite transitions are the ones between jorja interlude and get it together and the transition between 4422 and Gyalchester. We got Grime Drake, Afro carribean Drake, take care Drake, rap drake. It's a real all encompassing project with a ton of cool features like Sampha and I already like it better than views. Oh and Passionfruit. Damn.

This is the most versatile and explosive project from drake I've seen in a while. The transitions between songs is real smooth, my favorite transitions are the ones between jorja interlude and get it together and the transition between 4422 and Gyalchester. We got Grime Drake, Afro carribean Drake, take care Drake, rap drake. It's a real all encompassing project with a ton of cool features like Sampha and I already like it better than views. Oh and Passionfruit. Damn.

Exactly. I love Sampha and Skepta so that was a pleasant surprise.

I'm listening to it now. Yall are going to hate me but I just can't understand the hype for Drake. I haven't been a real fan since Thank Me later maybe even Take Care. Don't get me wrong, he makes good music but I was way more hype for Future's last two albums.