2016-2017 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The lack of wait list movement is making me all sorts of nervous... :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have insight into the lack of waitlist movement?

Reactions: 1 users
If you mean the ECA, mine took around 9 or 10 weeks. Even though the website says 2-3 weeks, they said the longer waits just happen sometimes. Your enrollment info bounces between the SOM Student Affairs office and several offices in the main university before coming back to the SOM, so there are a few places where there can be delays.
This also happened to my friend and his was about 8-9 weeks. Nothing to do with the SOM - found out it was all the central bureaucracy at the Uni. He was pretty nervous by the end for no real reason! Arghh - administrators!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have insight into the lack of waitlist movement?
That's what I'm curious about too. From all the old UW threads I've looked at this is the latest without any WA/OOR being pulled from the WL. I'm really starting to get nervous... Can't wait for that WL position page to update in the portal.

That's what I'm curious about too. From all the old UW threads I've looked at this is the latest without any WA/OOR being pulled from the WL. I'm really starting to get nervous... Can't wait for that WL position page to update in the portal.
I was worried too, and emailed them today. As of yesterday, 4 people have been accepted off the waitlist. They don't anticipate things being out of the ordinary this year :)

I was worried too, and emailed them today. As of yesterday, 4 people have been accepted off the waitlist. They don't anticipate things being out of the ordinary this year :)
You just made me feel a whole lot better :) Let's get this waitlist train a'goin!

Was #2 on the waitlist and just got accepted today! In state, did my undergrad at UW

Reactions: 5 users
How long did they take to let you guys know about your foundation site? I submitted my essay about 6 weeks ago when I got the alternate list offer

Idaho #2 on the waitlist and just got accepted yesterday!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Portal is finally updated.

"As of 4/27/2017, we are currently on alternate number 4, which means that 4 alternate(s) have been accepted to the 2017 entering class. In the event that we are able to offer you a position off of the alternate list, the SOM Office of Admissions will notify you immediately by telephone and/or email regarding your acceptance status."

Loved this school, but sadly withdrew today. Good luck to those waiting.

Re: the email they just sent about summer 2018 stuff (RUOP or MSRTP) - hold up. We have to pay tuition to do this now? Did I read the email too quickly?

I wonder how many got picked off the list today.. too bad the portal doesn't update in real time :p

Re: the email they just sent about summer 2018 stuff (RUOP or MSRTP) - hold up. We have to pay tuition to do this now? Did I read the email too quickly?
When they discussed this at second look, my impression was that the main reason they were making this change was because until now, students were not eligible for financial aid during the summer after their first year and that was causing a lot of problems. In particular, most students needed to pay for 12 months of rent with 9 months worth of housing budget. They said they were setting the credits to the smallest number that would make students eligible for full aid. It's a trade off and higher loans/tuition isn't wonderful, but neither is running out of rent or other essential money. :/

Say one was accepted off the waitlisted today. That means one would have until May 12 or so to decide yes?

Say one was accepted off the waitlisted today. That means one would have until May 12 or so to decide yes?
They specify in their acceptance email. But if you're accepted prior to April 30th you have 2 weeks to respond. If you're accepted after April 30th you have 1 week to respond.

They specify in their acceptance email. But if you're accepted prior to April 30th you have 2 weeks to respond. If you're accepted after April 30th you have 1 week to respond.

Yep, I got the email. I was accepted several days back, just wanted to completely make sure I understood. Would be terrible if I read that wrong and then lost my spot.

The portal is on #10 today and I know for certain it's a least a couple past that already for WA\OOR. Strong Activity! Good luck all!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else get that "Curriculum Update for Summer 2018" email earlier today? Got all excited and everything :p

Withdrew Idaho WWAMI acceptance last week. Good luck to all the Idaho applicants that are on the waitlist!

#4 Idaho WWAMI waitlist, just got the call! See you in Moscow this fall!

Reactions: 3 users
Portal just updated to 16. Moving right along. Congrats to all that have gotten in so far!

All my bubble people:
Rule of thumb I'm running with is if I'm not within 5 spots by 5/15, I should anticipate not getting in. Think that's overly optimistic, pessimistic, or just right?

#18 just got the call. Yay! Good luck everybody!

Excited to have you all as classmates this fall! :) Anyone know when White coat ceremony is and when orientation starts?

So far they are right on track with 2016 numbers. Hopefully this means they will accept 30-40 from waitlist. Keep the faith...stay positive.

So far they are right on track with 2016 numbers. Hopefully this means they will accept 30-40 from waitlist. Keep the faith...stay positive.
Or maybe more like 2013?

EDIT: They are on alternate number 20 as of 5/5! Moving again!

Last edited:
Last accepted was #18 smay2905, congrats! Would recently accepted folks post their waitlist number as well? So we can see the portal vs sdn. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

#21 on WA/OOR Just got the call! Luck to everyone!

#24 and I just got the acceptance call. Very excited to meet everyone in person. Good luck to those still waiting.

Question for the recently accepted waitlisters. What now? Is there anything left to do prior to getting information about UW ID, ECA and setting up financial aid?

Hi everyone, congrats on admitted peeps and much luck with others who are anxiously waiting.

I'm OOR from San Diego, California and having a lot of difficulty deciding on where to live. I thought Mercer Court grad housing would be the safest bet. But what's the word on grad housing? It looks like UW does not have any exclusive subsidized "grad" housing. Rather just general housing. Thank you very much for your advice!