2016-2017 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's been a while, but I just wanted to weigh in as a current student for those who have to make a decision about attending UVM. This perspective is mostly about the clerkship year. I think it is great that we get to go to more diverse places for clerkships, but to be honest you must be willing to be flexible throughout third year. You don't really have much of a choice about where you end up going, and even if you are assigned UVM for your rotations, it doesn't mean you will be able to live in Burlington. There are some amazing opportunities to learn a lot in other parts of Vermont, but it can be hard to be away from family, significant others, pets, etc without much prior notice (sometimes you find out where you are going about a week before having to leave for the 6-7 week rotation). I feel like this is important for people to know prior to committing to this school. Happy decision making and good luck to the waitlisters!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
This perspective is mostly about the clerkship year.

Can you expand on this a bit? How does the process work, more or less, on a general level? Honestly, the idea of doing a/some rotations in Palm Beach is really not attractive to me. Is it a lottery, are there preferences, or am I going to have to sulk my way through living in Florida for several weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you expand on this a bit? How does the process work, more or less, on a general level? Honestly, the idea of doing a/some rotations in Palm Beach is really not attractive to me. Is it a lottery, are there preferences, or am I going to have to sulk my way through living in Florida for several weeks?

Sure, so we first have a lottery to choose groups where basically a name is drawn out of a hat and that person gets to put their name down for a group. The people at the end may or may not get a group that they want but that's just how it goes I guess. There's a lot of trading that happens and people are generally ok with whatever the outcome of that is. Then within your groups you rank each of the locations for each rotation and some magical computer program "optimizes satisfaction" based on these rankings. Locations include Norwalk and Danbury in CT, West Palm Beach in Florida, and Bangor in Maine (plus UVM of course). It seems like about a third of the group is at UVM for a given rotation and the rest of the people are split up between the away sites. You can also trade with group members, but some people are luckier than others and it can be hard to trade for rotations you want at this point. Then, if you are assigned UVM you can be placed anywhere in VT for some of the rotations. The only stipulation is that they provide housing if you are over about an hour away from Burlington (and for the other away sites they provide housing). I'm actually not sure why they don't make this more clear at interview day/closer look day/anywhere online but I think it is important to be aware of.

Reactions: 2 users
@mdstudent11 Any possibility of doing every or the majority of your rotations in one place if you list one location as your preferred choice for every rotation (and you are insanely lucky)? Would a tie to an area help with rotation scheduling?

There is a chance if you get lucky and/or can trade with people, however you have to take most of your exams back in Burlington anyways so you can't just stay there. I think there is now an option to do everything in CT (you get split between Norwalk and Danbury), but as of now I've heard that you still have to come back for exams with that option, too. Ties to areas doesn't really play in for any of this.

Has anyone heard about any more waitlist movement?

Reactions: 1 user
If any of you fine folks were successful with UVM as a displaced Vermonter (born/raised but had to apply with OOS classification) and are at all interested in sharing tips/advice, please PM me.

I miss real maple syrup more than I could possibly articulate. Like, wicked bad dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard nothing. My cautious optimism is giving way to pragmatic pessimism. :(

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have an idea of when we should expect to see movement? I'm surprised at how long this is taking for them to make decisions..

Does anyone have an idea of when we should expect to see movement? I'm surprised at how long this is taking for them to make decisions..

I really hope soon this is getting crazy. I just hope they didn't over-accept and that we actually see SOME movement

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm seeing some movement end of May to early July in last year's thread. Should expect pretty good movement given the high cost of attending the school OOS (for some, it's worth the price. but for others, it's not).

Orientation starts in early August, so there's still time until then. Just don't put off important things waiting for this though.

I have also been told that around this time near end of may, there's alot of administrative tasks to handle relevant to graduating students. Not sure if this will have an effect on these waitlist decisions, but...

my speculation is that there's no benefit to delay a waitlist acceptance. So any movement should come right after accepted students decide to attend another school from their other waitlists. We're just waiting on those students, who must wait for students at other schools, who must wait for students at other schools... etc. That's pretty random and beyond the control of the admissions peeps.

I interviewed on 1/28. I have not sent any updates or letters after that. Got waitlisted like everyone else in April first. Then today got the unexpected email.

When did you interview? Would you mind sharing stats or if you sent any updates/letters of intent? Thanks, and congratulations!!

Last edited:
So I guess things are rolling again right about now... Hope the rest of you find good news soon. :hardy:

In the last month, two people (one OOS and one IS) have said in this thread that they've gotten in off the waitlist. Comparing to previous years' threads, this seems like extremely minimal waitlist movement. I wonder if they overfilled, or if they just had very few people withdraw acceptances this year...

In the last month, two people (one OOS and one IS) have said in this thread that they've gotten in off the waitlist. Comparing to previous years' threads, this seems like extremely minimal waitlist movement. I wonder if they overfilled, or if they just had very few people withdraw acceptances this year...

Wondering the same thing. I'm also on the WL at my state school, and they, too, have only taken 2 off the WL (far as I can tell). PS Dr. Slug - I thought you were posting to say you were accepted and almost jumped out of my batchair in excitement for you.

Wondering the same thing. I'm also on the WL at my state school, and they, too, have only taken 2 off the WL (far as I can tell). PS Dr. Slug - I thought you were posting to say you were accepted and almost jumped out of my batchair in excitement for you.

Oh, if I was accepted, my resulting post would have been pretty unambiguous. A messy conglomeration of all-caps, exclamation points, and excitement-driven typos.

Looking forward to that day. :(

Anyone over 26 or turning 26 soon know what to do about health insurance? Do most people take the school insurance or chose a less expensive option with an outside plan? Moving from VT from out of state and turning 26 soon. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!

Anyone over 26 or turning 26 soon know what to do about health insurance? Do most people take the school insurance or chose a less expensive option with an outside plan? Moving from VT from out of state and turning 26 soon. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks!
Ugh, I just chose the university plan. Going to be broke af anyway. 1-2k less or more a year not going to make much difference.
Could you accept the financial aid award yet? I can't.

Thanks!

Someone asked this on the class Facebook page in April. A current student gave some info, so you might want to go look there before committing to anything.

Ugh, I just chose the university plan. Going to be broke af anyway. 1-2k less or more a year not going to make much difference.
Could you accept the financial aid award yet? I can't.

No I can't accept the award yet, I checked yesterday :(

I could accept it today. I didn't finish matriculation checklist either, so don't think that's a requirement.

Make sure you either accept or decline UVM's ability to disburse funds for items outside of tuition and education fees. You have to do this before it lets you accept/decline the award. I haven't accepted/declined the award yet, but it did give me the option once I made that acknowledgement.

Had to defer. Here's hoping for good news for someone on the waitlist!

@freak7, I'm sincerely sorry to miss having you as a classmate. Your wit and fashion sense will be missed. Not sure if it's due to your deferral, but I did just get accepted off the waitlist.

@freak7, I'm sincerely sorry to miss having you as a classmate. Your wit and fashion sense will be missed. Not sure if it's due to your deferral, but I did just get accepted off the waitlist.
Well for payback you have to be my anatomy tutor

Lego Joker was able to sort out his commitments. I'm delighted (and relieved) to be able to accept!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I am seriously dying to get in off the waitlist even though I know chances are slim now..

I am seriously dying to get in off the waitlist even though I know chances are slim now..

Last year someone on SDN got off the waitlist after the 4th of July, and I definitely hear stories of people getting in to Vermont even later. It's not over yet, friend!

Had to defer. Here's hoping for good news for someone on the waitlist!
You can stay at my place if ya need to go apartment hunting.
I have two extra beds for that sorta nonsense.

Anyone's portal still say that you are still being considered for a waitlist position? I wanted to call today to ask for a file review but thought it would be inappropriate since my portal still says I'm under consideration. I thought that classes started yesterday so the cycle would be over.

Anyone's portal still say that you are still being considered for a waitlist position? I wanted to call today to ask for a file review but thought it would be inappropriate since my portal still says I'm under consideration. I thought that classes started yesterday so the cycle would be over.
It would make sense to ask since they should have sent out all their decisions already. No point in leaving everyone hanging you know?

But whether it is an official rejection letter or a mysterious acceptance after orientation (happens, but maybe not this school?), i mean you gotta wait until next week.

So if you felt it was inappropriate or that you're uncomfortable asking, then it's all right. Just wait until next week.