2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't interview very well so...not much hope
Me neither :( It's my top choice and I was so nervous that this was hands down my worst interview :dead: It was also a pretty long day and I was a little out of it by the end. C'est la vie I suppose.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
what's quiet a few? 20 - 25?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
no words, guys?
When I interviewed in January, two of the eight students I met got in off the waitlist. I don't think anyone knows for sure, and 8 is a small sample size, but those are the odds I'm ballparking.

no words, guys?

Likelihood of hearing before at earliest, March, is slim. It sounds like (from creeping last years threads), most movement was April-May

In limbo till June 1 unfortunately. I have mentally accepted going to Tech, but it is very frustrating to know that Dell did accept a lot of students off the waitlist and not know where my spot is on that waitlist

Is there "no way, Jose" we can call/email or ask them to give us a hint on our ranking on the list, eh?

Thanks guys for the reassurance and to @avenlea that she has mentally accepted as well

I got my formal rejection from Dell today. A little bummed but extremely happy to have matched at UTRGV. Congrats to those that made it and those still waiting. It's not over yet!

I got my formal rejection from Dell today. A little bummed but extremely happy to have matched at UTRGV. Congrats to those that made it and those still waiting. It's not over yet!
Sorry about that! Was this pre-II?

I don't think they do pre-II rejection emails (or even pre-secondary). I never received a secondary and as of yet haven't received a rejection email. Obviously I know I'm rejected at this point, but an email would be courteous. :p

I don't think they do pre-II rejection emails (or even pre-secondary). I never received a secondary and as of yet haven't received a rejection email. Obviously I know I'm rejected at this point, but an email would be courteous. :p

I got a secondary invite but no II, and I just got a rejection haha. So maybe they're slowly working on it :hilarious:

Anyone else on the WL just kinda chillin unsure what to do?

I don't know if I should start planning a move to the school I matched to or wait it out until I'm fully denied by Dell. I'm on the fence on going my second look weekend because I'm unsure of if it'll be worth the $500 flight if so many of last years class is off the waitlist.

Stoked to go to med school, but this limbo sucks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else on the WL just kinda chillin unsure what to do?

I don't know if I should start planning a move to the school I matched to or wait it out until I'm fully denied by Dell. I'm on the fence on going my second look weekend because I'm unsure of if it'll be worth the $500 flight if so many of last years class is off the waitlist.

Stoked to go to med school, but this limbo sucks

I met students on my interview day that were accepted in May and started at Dell in June...I'm not expecting a timely response from them :/

Movement on the WL is dependent entirely on (a) how considerate those who have received offers but have decided to attend elsewhere are and (b) the timeliness in which persons make up their minds as to where they wish to go.

I think everyone who is holding out for somewhere they have interviewed (without a formal rejection) should be prepared for the potential of a scramble in May if they wish to attend XYZ school - this is because, from my memory of the first class' spring/summer prior to enrollment, people will inevitably hear back from some school they wished to attend moreso than Dell and that begins a chain reaction of openings in other schools and this one.

Good luck everyone - I *do* hope to soon meet everyone who chooses to attend and would like to emphasize that you've all very difficult decisions in terms of finances and choosing a place to live, love, and call home for the next four years! I can say with confidence persons who got in from the WL are some of the very best and well adjusted students in the class and I am very happy they decided to hold off on committing to other generous offers to attend Dell -- I'm confident they're going to be some of my closest and life long friends, and I hope some of you will be too!

- JBL

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard the number of people on the waitlist and/or post-interview rejection? I wish we knew a little more to better gauge where we stood as we made plans and decisions.

Just a heads up: If you DIDN'T participate in the survey that Dell asked you to do, you may receive a phone call from someone who first identifies themselves as Dell Medical School (getting your hopes up) and THEN lets you know that they would REALLY like it if you would do their survey. :wtf:

Reactions: 2 users
Just a heads up: If you DIDN'T participate in the survey that Dell asked you to do, you may receive a phone call from someone who first identifies themselves as Dell Medical School (getting your hopes up) and THEN lets you know that they would REALLY like it if you would do their survey. :wtf:

I'll let make them aware of the sentiment (anonymously, ofc) - that's unnecessarily anxiety inducing!

- JBL

Yes I think that is VERY unprofessional of them to both send many emails about the survey and also call. I matched into a higher ranked school and it was still annoying, I can only imagine if someone was really waiting to hear back from this school.

If Dell calls today, April Fool's Day...

"This is Dean Clay Johnston from Dell Medical School calling to notify you of your acceptance to our POST INTERVIEW SURVEY STUDY. Gotcha!!"

Yes I think that is VERY unprofessional of them to both send many emails about the survey and also call. I matched into a higher ranked school and it was still annoying, I can only imagine if someone was really waiting to hear back from this school.

Happened to me this week too. Almost had a heart attack at work!

Does anyone know when orientation and/or the school year starts?

Loling at the rejection email I got today, after nine months of silence :laugh:

any one heard anything from the waitlist????????

When does Dell START anyways?

DELL forum..so quiet! No action, no news. No NOTHING. It's already almost May. However, maybe we will see some action soon bc. people have to drop some acceptances even for OOS schoolS

I'm desperately awaiting. Maybe it's stupid to hold onto hope, but i am holding on to it.

Hi all! I was just accepted off the waitlist, is there a FB group for accepted students? Would love to start looking for a roommate.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all! I was just accepted off the waitlist, is there a FB group for accepted students? Would love to start looking for a roommate.

Congrats!! I am also hoping to be accepted - IS or OOS if you don't mind me asking?

Also does anyone know when orientation is for Dell?

I was just accepted off the waitlist yesterday!

Does anyone know if OOSers can be accepted after June 1st?

....dont know if it's going to happen...***waiting*** what is everyone else doing?

If WE ARE in state, and we don't hear anything by May 31 / June 1st, it's GAME OVER?!

I have a new number but - Dell said they didn't want my new phone number as they would email as well as call if they decided to offer me an acceptance. I asked in in Dec/Jan...

If WE ARE in state, and we don't hear anything by May 31 / June 1st, it's GAME OVER?!

I have a new number but - Dell said they didn't want my new phone number as they would email as well as call if they decided to offer me an acceptance. I asked in in Dec/Jan...
It's game over June 1 if you ALREADY have an acceptance to a Texas school. If you don't, you have up until orientation.

It's game over June 1 if you ALREADY have an acceptance to a Texas school. If you don't, you have up until orientation.

Oh man, so in a way, this HURTS the people who already have an acceptance...although with only 50 students, the # of people who get advantage is pretty low, I imagine like 1 or 2 by chance.

AWW..man, I wish the people who weren't going could say NO early :(

Oh man, so in a way, this HURTS the people who already have an acceptance...although with only 50 students, the # of people who get advantage is pretty low, I imagine like 1 or 2 by chance.

AWW..man, I wish the people who weren't going could say NO early :(
The people who already have an acceptance aren't exactly hurting, but in a way you're right. You just gotta hope for the best and prepare for the worst like always. There should be another group that gets in next week due to the drop date, so don't lose hope just yet. I'd focus on gap year activities and reapplying though if I were in your shoes. Good luck!

The people who already have an acceptance aren't exactly hurting, but in a way you're right. You just gotta hope for the best and prepare for the worst like always. There should be another group that gets in next week due to the drop date, so don't lose hope just yet. I'd focus on gap year activities and reapplying though if I were in your shoes. Good luck!

Which "drop date"? Thanks for the encouragement!

I am fortunate enough to have another spot elsewhere , don't want to PLAY the dice and replay again! hahahahhahah

GUYS DID YOU hear @LordkEK , another group could GET In NEXT WEEK! OMG!!!! *PARTY TIME***
I konw my interview didn't go so hot, so IDK...I don't think I impressed the faculty too much :(

Which "drop date"? Thanks for the encouragement!

I am fortunate enough to have another spot elsewhere , don't want to PLAY the dice and replay again! hahahahhahah
The June 1st drop date.

Although you're still hoping to hear from Dell, you gotta remember that YOU'RE GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!! Just don't drop that acceptance under any circumstances.

Is this true for OOS as well?
Only applies to IS people who already have an acceptance. OOS people with and without acceptances can receive an acceptance up until orientation.

At this point getting off the waitlist is not happening by June 1 (for instaters with other acceptances)

The June 1st drop date..

When you say June 1st drop date, that's the drop date for other students holding multiple acceptances (some of whome are holding dell acceptances?) and the school has to notify people off the waitlist on the SAME DAY?

When you say June 1st drop date, that's the drop date for other students holding multiple acceptances (some of whome are holding dell acceptances?) and the school has to notify people off the waitlist on the SAME DAY?

Nobody should have multiple acceptances by now (if they do it's because they've gotten off a waitlist, and they have a certain deadline to reply by -- I think it's five business days?)

June 1 refers to the last day a TX school can accept a TX resident that is currently holding a spot at another TX school off its waitlist. So if you're currently accepted somewhere in TX, next Thursday is the last day you can hear about a TX waitlist spot.