2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys - I am out of the country n my phone is not suppose to be working.

So if they were trying to call me ( haha fat chance) - n didn't hear or get through, I wonder if they will send an email or atleast is there a place in the website to login n see application status??

Members don't see this ad.

Guess I'll just wait until feb and see what transpires

Reactions: 1 user
Soo just got the 25% scholarship email from Dell :D Is anyone going back for a second look?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how they decided who got how much from them. I got 50%...

Soo just got the 25% scholarship email from Dell :D Is anyone going back for a second look?
I am also deciding between UTSW and dell and having a hard time. I am trying to go back to dell for a second look too. Which way are you leaning?

All of this may be true if one is attempting to match to a highly competitive residency program (i.e. urology, dermatology, etc.). However, if one is interested in community medicine, family medicine, public health, or anything related, Dell offers unique advantages that other schools may not be as invested in. Like the innovation project, for example. This opportunity could really help someone stand out in a field of MDs applying for residency in primary care specialties.
so you would go to dell over utsw?

so you would go to dell over utsw?

It depends on what you're interested in. Dell's strengths fit with my interests, but someone who wants to specialize in a competitive field would likely choose UTSW. If you don't have any idea about which type of medicine you want to practice, then I would base it on where you felt most comfortable - where you felt the most inspired/excited.

I applied late, getting my secondary in on the deadline of November 15. I got a phone call with an II on December 19 for what I am assuming is their last interview date: January 12. OOS. Pretty excited! I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to attend Dell.

Reactions: 2 users
I applied late, getting my secondary in on the deadline of November 15. I got a phone call with an II on December 19 for what I am assuming is their last interview date: January 12. OOS. Pretty excited! I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to attend Dell.

Interview invite just now! They called and all I could say was "Are you serious?" Haha I guess that attitude is why I got the II in January! xD

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I should wait for my interview day to ask but, in case anyone here knows, I will just shoot my question. So a group of us interview this Thursday. Match rankings are due next Friday at 5 PM. That gives us one week to make up our minds about a young school. Still, that's not a whole lot of time to evaluate so many questions and unknowns. Does anyone know if Dell will reach out to us within that week with a notification of acceptance? Or are we all just vying for waitlist positions?

Also, are there any current residents at Dell that wouldn't mind if I pick your brain about your experiences??

Maybe I should wait for my interview day to ask but, in case anyone here knows, I will just shoot my question. So a group of us interview this Thursday. Match rankings are due next Friday at 5 PM. That gives us one week to make up our minds about a young school. My biggest concern about Dell is the many question marks they draw up in comparison to more established schools. Don't get me wrong, their mission statement is inspiring and aligns with my goals in healthcare (IMO). But does anyone know if Dell will reach out to us within that week with a notification of acceptance? Or are we all just vying for waitlist positions?
You are vying for a spot in the regular match day (Feb 1) like everyone else who interviewed. You are right, not much time to process your opinions after your Dell interview. Texas schools cannot make any more offers of admission now to in-state applicants (until match day Feb 1) as the pre-match window ended on Dec 31.

Last edited:
I've been reading that Dell doesn't accept letters of intent - is this true? :(

On the first day of pre-match, I pre-matched with seven schools plus got a call from Baylor, so I was accepted everywhere I interviewed except Dell. I'm pretty heartbroken that I didn't get a pre-match, and I'm wondering how slim my chances are at this point. I'd love to send them a letter of intent to tell them that they're my number one choice, but it seems like they don't accept any letters. I guess I will just have to wait it out at this point. Anyone else in the same boat?

On the first day of pre-match, I pre-matched with seven schools plus got a call from Baylor, so I was accepted everywhere I interviewed except Dell. I'm pretty heartbroken that I didn't get a pre-match, and I'm wondering how slim my chances are at this point. I'd love to send them a letter of intent to tell them that they're my number one choice, but it seems like they don't accept any letters. I guess I will just have to wait it out at this point. Anyone else in the same boat?
I think you have a multitude of good choices so don't pine after the one that got away ;)

Reactions: 1 users

why do you want to go here so bad? I got a prematch but dont know if i will be accepting

why do you want to go here so bad? I got a prematch but dont know if i will be accepting

I felt like I really fit in with the type of people the accepted into their first class - they seem like a big family, very supportive of one another. I liked that there were a lot of nontraditional students as well. To be honest, when you interview at nine schools, some of them begin to feel the same, but Dell always stood out to me. I'm an Austin native, so I feel passionate about being involved with the Austin community and helping the city grow and become healthier (year 3 project). I also want to be a part of building the program of the school that I believe will become one of the best in Texas. Shaping a new program is really exciting to me, and I think it would push me to grow as a person and a future physician. I wouldn't just be another traditional medical student at Dell.

That being said, it's not a perfect fit for everyone. I definitely feel like it takes a certain personality to want to go there. If you got in to other schools in Texas, all of them are very good. :)

Do the schools rank us too (like 1-300 or whatever) and then that is matched with how we ranked them? I guess what I'm asking is lets say i rank a certain school 5th on my list...and don't get into my top 4....wil i get into my 5th if they wanted me or will i also lose out on that acceptance because they ranked me high on their list but I didn't rank them high on mine?

I'm confused clearly haha

Do the schools rank us too (like 1-300 or whatever) and then that is matched with how we ranked them? I guess what I'm asking is lets say i rank a certain school 5th on my list...and don't get into my top 4....wil i get into my 5th if they wanted me or will i also lose out on that acceptance because they ranked me high on their list but I didn't rank them high on mine?

I'm confused clearly haha
Yes. If you don't get I got your top 4, you can still get into #5. you're automatically put into the waitlist for your top 4. If there is an opening, they will let you know and you can move up in your list of schools. It unfortunately doesn't work the other way around. Say you get into #2. Everything below the list is deleted and you can still potentially get into #1. Make sense?

Yes. If you don't get I got your top 4, you can still get into #5. you're automatically put into the waitlist for your top 4. If there is an opening, they will let you know and you can move up in your list of schools. It unfortunately doesn't work the other way around. Say you get into #2. Everything below the list is deleted and you can still potentially get into #1. Make sense?

Thank you!!

So for all of us OOS, when do you think we'll hear back with the waitlist email? Since I'm presuming they've given out all their 5 OOS acceptances.

So for all of us OOS, when do you think we'll hear back with the waitlist email? Since I'm presuming they've given out all their 5 OOS acceptances.
Why would you presume that?

Why would you presume that?

At my interview day, Dec 1, dean implied they had given out all their OOS acceptances :/ I hope I am mistaken though!

Last edited:
At my interview day, Dec 1, dean implied they had given out all their OOS acceptances :/ I hope I am mistake though!

That would be terrible to hear at the interview if you're OOS! Wow

That would be terrible to hear at the interview if you're OOS! Wow
Yes but remember, those OOS guys might get a better offer coming up in the next couple of months and drop this one.
So could in-state applicants.
It ain't over til it's over!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
what did they say to imply that?

I've not heard that either (internally). Acceptances and their subsequent effect on seats filled are subject to changes all the way up until May - In any case, I do not believe that it will be the case that every OOS offered chooses to come to Dell.

This is a useless question but is Dell expected to match heavily? I have no idea how many people will get in that didnt get in through prematch

This is a useless question but is Dell expected to match heavily? I have no idea how many people will get in that didnt get in through prematch
I asked this question a while back (maybe someone else did too). I don't remember anyone having an answer.

The match list did not have to exhaust itself much to get to 50 seats. I wouldn't be too worried though; there will likely be a lot of movement before April 15th. We had a lot of people in our class come off the wait list.

How do we know if we are on Dells Waitlist? I didn't match there....

How do we know if we are on Dells Waitlist? I didn't match there....
I was under the impression that all who interviewed at Dell are on the waitlist because they interview so few people. Does anyone know if they sent out rejections last year prior to April 30?

Crossing my fingers and toes for some waitlist movement. The email sounded so hopeful, lol.

oh lol does everyone who interviewed but didn't match get waitlisted? I guess that makes sense but isn't that a pretty massive waitlist to fill probably less than 25 spots?

I am waitlisted too. The more I think about it, the more I think that all of us probably got waitlisted. They only interviewed 350 people. Most medical schools that their students are also considering (UTSW, Baylor, and other fancy OOS) have classes of ~200. Baylor hasn't even released the bulk of their acceptances yet (according to my snooping of their SDN page). I think its totally possible that we are all on the waitlist just when you consider how all the numbers work.

I am waitlisted too. The more I think about it, the more I think that all of us probably got waitlisted. They only interviewed 350 people. Most medical schools that their students are also considering (UTSW, Baylor, and other fancy OOS) have classes of ~200. Baylor hasn't even released the bulk of their acceptances yet (according to my snooping of their SDN page). I think its totally possible that we are all on the waitlist just when you consider how all the numbers work.

Oh I see I see. I wish they would just tell us how high or low we are on their ranked list so I can look for apartments at my second choice if I am too low on their list. But alas, they dont release that info. ugh

i agree @jgear645 i wish there was a way to know... I feel like MY INTERVIEW day (last one in Dec) didn't have the important Dell Staff attending so maybe it is a hint that that we aren't so important hahahah.

Did Dell reject ANYONE right after interviews? Or no..

Since Dell likes to call, I emailed them with my new phone number but they have not yet responded. :(

Last edited:
Did anyone who interviewed NOT get hit with the waitlist email yet?

I didn't get an email, but I matched to a school that I ranked higher. I think your application is automatically withdrawn when that happens.

i agree @jgear645 i wish there was a way to know... I feel like MY INTERVIEW day (last one in Dec) didn't have the important Dell Staff attending so maybe it is a hint that that we aren't so important hahahah.

Noo, they wouldn't have interviewed you if you wren't important! Dont think like that haha. I wonder approx how many people in their current class came off the waitlist?

I didn't interview very well so...not much hope

Noo, they wouldn't have interviewed you if you wren't important! Dont think like that haha. I wonder approx how many people in their current class came off the waitlist?

Quite a few!