2016-2017 University of Texas at Austin (Dell) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any information regarding a second look?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if/how many more pre-match offers will be going out?

Does anyone have any information regarding a second look?
Last year a formal second look weekend was organized the last weekend in February. If that's what you're interested in, hang tight until after match day for more info.

However, if you'd like to come by before pre-match ranks are due, I'd say reach out to admissions. Last year they were cool with us stopping by with questions so I'm sure you'd be more than welcome to check out the building again, come chat with students and faculty, etc. Feel free to PM me with any questions :) also congrats!!! Very excited to meet all of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any information on how to prep for interview ..or interview day schedule?

Any information on how to prep for interview ..or interview day schedule?

They will send you the interview day schedule two or three days before your interview.

You will do your MMIs and a tour in the morning. The MMIs covers very basic ethical problems and I used the University of Washington Bioethics website to study. The website covered far more topics, but there are short case studies that I used for practice. For your individual interview, I would advise you to study the mission and core values of Dell because the school is very mission-oriented, and articulate how those values apply to you. Other than that, the individual interviews were pretty normal and conversational. The group exercise was a 20 minute activity that you discuss with your group. There is not much practice that you can do with the group activity, but focus on the skills like listening skills, ability to make a compromise, etc.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY!

So surprised they even sent me one. I submitted the secondary almost 2 months after they sent it to me. It was 3 days before the deadline. Got the call around 10 EST. So happy.

Reactions: 2 users
INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY!

So surprised they even sent me one. I submitted the secondary almost 2 months after they sent it to me. It was 3 days before the deadline. Got the call around 10 EST. So happy.

Congrats!! That's so exciting

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

INTERVIEW INVITE TODAY!

Congrats!! That's so exciting!

I emailed dell today and they told me they are still considering applicants for secondaries in case anybody hasn't gotten one

Members don't see this ad :)
scholarship in addition to prematch offer!!!!!!!! anyone else get a scholarship?

Reactions: 2 users
scholarship in addition to prematch offer!!!!!!!! anyone else get a scholarship?

My interview is coming up in December, but if you don't mind me asking, what was the scholarship offer? I had no idea they were giving out scholarships!

Sorry if I missed it, but have any OOS applicants heard back post-interview?

I interviewed in late august and haven't heard back yet. Honestly at this point, I don't care how I get it in--match, prematch, off waitlist, after begging. It does not even matter to me, I just wanna get in
hahahah what a humbling process

Reactions: 1 users
My interview is coming up in December, but if you don't mind me asking, what was the scholarship offer? I had no idea they were giving out scholarships!
I got one too, crazily enough! It's for 50% tuition and fees

I am pretty sure they said at the interview that they've gotten scholarships for EVERYONE who will be accepted, at least for the first few years of the school. Even for OOS students too. Congrats everyone!

Finished my interview yesterday, good luck to anyone still waiting!

AWESOME GUYS!! WAY TO GO!

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, will be very heartbroken if I don't get in here. I loved everything about this school so so so much, from before the beginning of the cycle to interview day.

Best of luck to you all! Crossing my fingers and toes for all of us!! :)

Does anyone know if Dell accepts letters of intent? Just in case I didn't emphasize enough on interview day that this is my top choice lol

Does anyone know if Dell accepts letters of intent? Just in case I didn't emphasize enough on interview day that this is my top choice lol
They don't :( I emailed and they said only updates from TMDSAS are considered.

I really enjoyed the interview last Thursday. Everyone was very enthusiastic. I also wish I would have more overtly stated my interests to attend and that I loved the school. Hopefully my secondary and primary application will speak loud enough about my interest and fit. What do y'all think? Did any of you who interviewed and got accepted not really speak of your interest to attend or perceived fit?

Last edited:
Interviewed today. Loved the place and everyone was so welcoming. Now I'm torn between Dell and other schools in Texas

Phew done.

Going to just forget this i n t e r v i e w even happened. Feel like chances are so low .

They interview 18-36 ppl per session and only picking maybe 2-3 or 4 max per interview day #itsOk #ThanksDell #dEEPbreaths #LifeGetsBETTER!!!

Phew done.

Going to just forget this i n t e r v i e w even happened. Feel like chances are so low .

They interview 18-36 ppl per session and only picking maybe 2-3 or 4 max per interview day #itsOk #ThanksDell #dEEPbreaths #LifeGetsBETTER!!!

Don't worry too much about it; the math doesn't work out quite like that (I believe I was the only one who attends from my interview date, but another interview date had 5-6) - Dell, like anywhere else, will probably send out a good deal more offers than are needed to fill 50 spots. If it is of any solace to you, we only interview ~350, meaning ~1/7 attend, but a larger number than that receive offers and turn them down in favor of other schools per their tastes...

I've talked to applicants during interview days when I had a chance, and you all seem like a very impressive bunch. Had you all applied last cycle, who knows, maybe I would have missed out. ;)

Anyone know when more offers will go out? I know they said if it's prematch it will be prior to their holiday...

Does anyone know how likely it is to get waitlisted/accepted here if I do not prematch in the next month?

Accepted :) woke up groggy from a nap to hear "Hey it's Clay Johnston" and I had to slap myself a few times before speaking.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! :soexcited:

Also got the call Friday evening. Non-traditional student with three kids here in Austin so it's an absolute no-brainer for me. Super excited to meet everyone!! :horns:

Reactions: 7 users
Hey y'all, for any of those prematched to both Dell and UTSW, which way are y'all leaning?

Hey y'all, for any of those prematched to both Dell and UTSW, which way are y'all leaning?
everyone has told me UTSW would be the best choice. Coming from dell you will have less prominent LOR as well as a private hospital vs a public hospital. UTSW can open doors to everything. I talked to urology residency admissions leader and he told me it would put you at a disadvantage coming from a less established institution

ACCEPTED. Holy moly. Thanks Mom!!

Dean Johnston said I was the last call before prematch ends, I think. Looking forward to seeing some of y'all when I return to Austin!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
ACCEPTED. Holy moly. Thanks Mom!!

Dean Johnston said I was the last call before prematch, I think. Looking forward to seeing some of y'all when I return to Austin!

WhooHoo!! Congrats! We interviewed the same day I believe. Glad to see some people from our group getting some love :)

everyone has told me UTSW would be the best choice. Coming from dell you will have less prominent LOR as well as a private hospital vs a public hospital. UTSW can open doors to everything. I talked to urology residency admissions leader and he told me it would put you at a disadvantage coming from a less established institution

All of this may be true if one is attempting to match to a highly competitive residency program (i.e. urology, dermatology, etc.). However, if one is interested in community medicine, family medicine, public health, or anything related, Dell offers unique advantages that other schools may not be as invested in. Like the innovation project, for example. This opportunity could really help someone stand out in a field of MDs applying for residency in primary care specialties.