2016-2017 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they going to email us when they send the letter again? Or it will just be sent anytime by May 5 and we won't know?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are they going to email us when they send the letter again? Or it will just be sent anytime by May 5 and we won't know?

I believe they did last year if I remember correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew this weekend. Hope for some wait list movement soon for those of you waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted today after interviewing the first week of April. Letter dated and mailed 28 April. Shocked. Headed to Memphis this August.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted today after interviewing the first week of April. Letter dated and mailed 28 April. Shocked. Headed to Memphis this August.

Congrats! Does this mean final decision letters have gone out, or was this your first letter?

Congrats! Does this mean final decision letters have gone out, or was this your first letter?

Thanks! This is my initial post-interview decision. It just has letter and instructions for accepting the acceptance offer.

Congratulations! Did you get a survey e-mail last week as well?

anyone on the hold list heard anything yet?

anyone on the hold list heard anything yet?
Nothing here. No email that a letter has been sent either. I guess we should have a decision by the end of next week if they really are sending letters out by the 5th.

Nothing here. No email that a letter has been sent either. I guess we should have a decision by the end of next week if they really are sending letters out by the 5th.

The waiting is killing me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, for those on the "hold" list or the "wait" list, what is your plan B?

Just curious, for those on the "hold" list or the "wait" list, what is your plan B?
During this past year off, I've worked as a scribe at an orthopedic group, and I met several people during interviews that had done the same. If your grades are fine and you're looking for a job to make a little money while learning a lot about how medicine is actually practiced (i.e. behind the scenes stuff such as dealing with insurance companies, learning about clinical management, etc.) then scribing is a solid choice. If you're looking for a masters program, UT has a Masters in Pharmacology that has a good acceptance rate into TN medical schools upon graduation.

All in all, do something you'll enjoy because having to postpone your goals for a year sucks enough as is. However, looking back, a year off from school is definitely not the end of the world and I can honestly say I don't regret having to do so. It allows you to travel, make some cash, and just rest before you grind it out the rest of your life.

If I don't get into either of the 2 MD schools I'm still waiting on, I'll be matriculating into a DO school up north.

What about just working in something that isn't medical and continuing volunteering in the medical field?

What about just working in something that isn't medical and continuing volunteering in the medical field?

That's what I did during my application cycle. I managed a bar and volunteered at a clinic. I was able to talk about it a lot in my interviews and it was well received.

That's what I did during my application cycle. I managed a bar and volunteered at a clinic. I was able to talk about it a lot in my interviews and it was well received.
Thanks! I have been trying to apply for jobs but there aren't many that are open that you can get without any kind of licence

Thanks! I have been trying to apply for jobs but there aren't many that are open that you can get without any kind of licence

Gotcha. When I was deciding what I wanted to do, I looked at Aerotek and they had a lot of jobs that were interesting. Check out their website

It might also be helpful to talk with the dean of admissions at the various schools you applied. Sometimes, they are very helpful in pointing you in a direction if you're looking to build your application within the next year. Hopefully, you won't have to though and we all get into medical school!

It might also be helpful to talk with the dean of admissions at the various schools you applied. Sometimes, they are very helpful in pointing you in a direction if you're looking to build your application within the next year. Hopefully, you won't have to though and we all get into medical school!

That's exactly what I did last cycle. This is great advice for anyone trying to figure out plans for a reapplication.

They updated the alternate FAQ document online. The waitlist is 248 this year, and they also updated the document to say that they have taken in the upper fifties of people off the alternate list the last two years. Also, has anyone heard anything regarding letters being sent out?

They updated the alternate FAQ document online. The waitlist is 248 this year, and they also updated the document to say that they have taken in the upper fifties of people off the alternate list the last two years. Also, has anyone heard anything regarding letters being sent out?

I have not heard anything. I am hoping the letters were still mailed out today as planned!

Always interesting that the WL is way more than the actual class size o_O

Also, has anyone heard anything regarding letters being sent out?

First timer in this thread. Received an e-mail from Ms. Harris this afternoon stating that the survey has been sent out today. From what I've been told, this also includes decision letters? Hopefully there is some good news coming within the next week.

I was accepted today after being on hold since late March. They never sent an email saying they'd sent the packet so I was definitely surprised. Keep on the lookout guys!

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, just arrived in the mail. I live in Memphis though, so the turn-around is quick if they sent them out yesterday.

Ugh that sucks. I know the feeling. Still waiting on my letter from this cycle. Expecting the same. And the worst part is we have to wait until Monday to hear from Dean Strother or Mrs. Harris about where we stand on the waitlist.

Ugh that sucks. I know the feeling. Still waiting on my letter from this cycle. Expecting the same. And the worst part is we have to wait until Monday to hear from Dean Strother or Mrs. Harris about where we stand on the waitlist.

Do we have to call to see where we are or do they email us?

Yeah, just arrived in the mail. I live in Memphis though, so the turn-around is quick if they sent them out yesterday.

So it did not tell you what third you were in? I thought they would at least volunteer that much. No use holding out hope if you are in the last third

You can call or email them.

...Are you sure about that? Based on the FAQ, they seemed to strongly suggest that they would not be telling people their positions

From the FAQ:
We do not inform alternates of their exact ranking or relative standing. As positions become available, notifications will be communicated via a telephone call followed-up with an acceptance packet. Please be sure the most recent contact information is on file....

So it did not tell you what third you were in? I thought they would at least volunteer that much. No use holding out hope if you are in the last third

...Are you sure about that? Based on the FAQ, they seemed to strongly suggest that they would not be telling people their positions

From the FAQ:
We do not inform alternates of their exact ranking or relative standing. As positions become available, notifications will be communicated via a telephone call followed-up with an acceptance packet. Please be sure the most recent contact information is on file....

That's exactly what happened to me last cycle. I was in the bottom third and let it be.
But yes, I'm sure. They won't tell you exactly where you rank, but they will tell you which third of the list you are in.

K
I was accepted today after being on hold since late March. They never sent an email saying they'd sent the packet so I was definitely surprised. Keep on the lookout guys!
did the outside of the envelope have any indication that it was an acceptance?

Alternate list, middle third. Goodbye uthsc, hello another year of applying :'>
Got letter in mail this morning, emailed them right after. Nelson/Diane responded within like 15 minutes.

I received my letter today, and I am on the alternate list. I just emailed Dr. Strother to find out my relative position.

I received my waitlist letter also. Emailed Strother about 30 minutes ago. Hopefully will get a response soon.

I was only told top third. I'm assuming that means I am towards the end of the top third though since he did not go more specific like I have noticed before when students are 50 or lower??

Did y'alls letters offer advice on what to do to improve your application for next year?

Got Accepted! Gosh, a long wait. Was interviewed 1/4/2017, placed on hold. Got the letter today. This is my one and only acceptance, and that's all I need.

Reactions: 9 users
I was only told top third. I'm assuming that means I am towards the end of the top third though since he did not go more specific like I have noticed before when students are 50 or lower??
I'm top 3rd too. Hmm, I guess it's a waiting game. When does movement generally happen?

Reactions: 2 users