2016-2017 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're right there were at least 240. If you are placed on the alternate list I would suggest getting in contact with Dean Strother and finding out where you rank on the list. Since they take around 40 people off of the list you will be able to tell if you have a shot based off of your position. Last year I was around 100 and was not taken off of the list

Members don't see this ad.

So, if you move from the "hold" list to the waitlist, you probably will be close to the top of the waitlist?

Not necessarily. They either accept or put you on hold post interview. So they put a ton of people on hold and then a lot of people on the alternate list when it is formed. I don't understand why they put so many people on the list, but chances are fairly good if you're in the top 3rd of the list.

No! And I was gonna call tomorrow if I didn't get it

Would you care to let us know what she says as far as if they have sent letters or not? Also, if they have gotten through only some of the people that interviewed that week?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also just emailed Ms. Harris as well to see what she says if she is able to answer. I will post what she says if I get a response.

Is there a current student here that can give some insight into the lecture/class schedule here?

I know lectures are in the morning, but what goes on in the afternoon during the first two years? Are there lots of opportunities/time for research/clinical experiences for people who want them?

I got a sense during the interview that it was a very clinically-oriented program...I've interviewed at some schools where the students literally only go on campus once or twice a week for mandatory patient interaction classes and monthly exams and that's not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

I also just emailed Ms. Harris as well to see what she says if she is able to answer. I will post what she says if I get a response.

Did you get a response? I haven't yet. They are usually pretty good at responding. Maybe they are in the process of making a lot of final decisions for those on hold as well? They only have 6 interview days left with today included.

I just got an email that the survey is on it's way. Since it looks like someone received their letter via email pdf for acceptance, I wonder if they're only mailing waitlists and rejections now.

I just got an email that the survey is on it's way. Since it looks like someone received their letter via email pdf for acceptance, I wonder if they're only mailing waitlists and rejections now.
When did you interview? I did on the 8th and 9th and haven't heard anything

I don't think that is the case. I think it was more of a situation where they weren't able to get to everyone on the first admissions meeting date. March 17th was Match Day, so if I had to guess I would say they didn't meet that day. I am unsure though, so just speculation. I got the same email today saying the survey was in the mail.

I don't think that is the case. I think it was more of a situation where they weren't able to get to everyone on the first admissions meeting date. March 17th was Match Day, so if I had to guess I would say they didn't meet that day. I am unsure though, so just speculation. I got the same email today saying the survey was in the mail.
Good point about Match Day!!

Just withdrew my acceptance- hope one of you gets the spot! Best of luck to everyone

I received my letter today. I am on hold. Does anyone know a rough estimate of when the ranked waitlist will be done so that we can call or email the office regarding advice on our position?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my letter today. I am on hold. Does anyone know a rough estimate of when the ranked waitlist will be done so that we can call or email the office regarding advice on our position?

I got my letter on 4/19 last year.

Does being on hold guarantee a spot on the alternate list or is that still another decision that has to be made?

Not necessarily. I know someone who was flat out rejected from the hold list after final decisions were made. I think it's rare, but it can happen.

Accepted! Received the pdf of my letter yesterday in an email that said packets went out yesterday as well.

Edit: packet received today!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
So I have not seen another person receive a PDF acceptance letter, do you know why you're a special circumstance?

Rejected my offer about a week ago, headed to Quillen. Good luck to those on the Waitlist

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone explain TIP?
From what I can find about it online, it seems to be like an 8 week "boot camp" where shortened versions of first year courses are taken and different resources are offered to ease the transition into first year. I think it starts some time mid June and between when you received your letter you should be contacted with more info about the program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is there anyone on here that went from "hold" to accepted during last year's admissions process? If so, how many people are put in the hold category and when did you receive your acceptance? TIA!

Is there anyone on here that went from "hold" to accepted during last year's admissions process? If so, how many people are put in the hold category and when did you receive your acceptance? TIA!

so I interviewed March 8-9 and still haven't heard anything back. I have called twice and emailed Diane but they didn't answer or call back and she hasn't responded. Idk what to do

Update: he called back so I feel better lol

Last edited:
Anyone know if they will make the hold decisions by April 30th? So frustrating to receive an email about the letter being sent and then you wait 5 days to find out that they didn't make a decision. I think it's time for them to get an online portal like most schools.

Anyone know if they will make the hold decisions by April 30th? So frustrating to receive an email about the letter being sent and then you wait 5 days to find out that they didn't make a decision. I think it's time for them to get an online portal like most schools.

I got my alternate list letter on 4/20 last cycle.

When I called yesterday Nelson just said that it looks like they will have the alternates list by the end of the month so hopefully that true

If nothing else, I'm glad I'm not the only one who is dying of the suspense.

Reactions: 1 users
I just wish there was a portal. USPS is so unreliable.

Yeah, we haven't had ANY mail the last two days, which isn't doing anything for my anxiety! I wish we got a firm decision date, the way MCAT scores are released.

I believe the last interviews are next week. They have to complete those and make decisions on those candidates before they work on the alternate list.

According to Dean Strother they are planning to finish interviews this upcoming week and make final decisions the following week (around April 21st I believe). Their goal is to notify everyone by the end of the month.

Anyone else interview in March + still waiting on an accept/reject/hold letter?

Anyone else interview in March + still waiting on an accept/reject/hold letter?
I interviewed March 8-9 and just got an email today saying the letter was on the way. When I called Nelson he said they couldn't get to me on the 17th and then they didn't meet on the 24th so yeah

I interviewed March 8-9 and just got an email today saying the letter was on the way. When I called Nelson he said they couldn't get to me on the 17th and then they didn't meet on the 24th so yeah

Good luck! I interviewed March 29, so I guess I've just got to be patient. Thanks for the info.

So are we assuming there is no Second Look? Any idea when we will hear about financial aid and scholarships?

Everyone else get the email from Mrs. Harris last night?

Will they probably start calling people for acceptances on Monday since they will have all final decisions made?

Will they probably start calling people for acceptances on Monday since they will have all final decisions made?

Even for final decisions they send it by mail. So it'll still be another week or 2 before they send them.

So the email said by the 5th. So they could send out letters between today and then? Will they call any people?

So the email said by the 5th. So they could send out letters between today and then? Will they call any people?

last year they did not postmark them until 2 weeks after final decisions were made, so we received them about 2.5 weeks after the final decision. I wouldn't expect them early since I think it's just Ms. Harris and one other person working on them, but one can hope!

I had my interview on March 28th and still haven't received an email from Mrs. Harris or a letter in the mail. I think Mrs. Harris told us not to email her about updates, but it's been a month. Should I contact her about a response?

I had my interview on March 28th and still haven't received an email from Mrs. Harris or a letter in the mail. I think Mrs. Harris told us not to email her about updates, but it's been a month. Should I contact her about a response?
I wouldn't. They just had their last meeting this past Friday, so I would give it another week at least.

Has anyone heard anything regarding financial aid at this point?

Has anyone heard anything regarding financial aid at this point?
There's a financial aid package in my UTHSC Banner portal! I didn't get a formal email about it though.