2016-2017 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, anyone on here on the waitlist been pulled yet? Or do you think movement will start after May?

Members don't see this ad.

So, anyone on here on the waitlist been pulled yet? Or do you think movement will start after May?

I probably won't know until after May as I have to finish my thesis and defend it. I know a few people in the MS Pharm program from last year did not hear that they were accepted until after defending their thesis. But who knows.

I probably won't know until after May as I have to finish my thesis and defend it. I know a few people in the MS Pharm program from last year did not hear that they were accepted until after defending their thesis. But who knows.

How does that work? Do they have spots for the MS students?

Members don't see this ad :)
How does that work? Do they have spots for the MS students?

Not really sure. We do take a lot of the same classes/have the same professors as they do in medical school, and I know previous years have had good acceptance rates. Honestly, no clue how it works though concerning the WL. I think we get ranked + placed on there like everyone else according to how we did in the program and our application overall.

I know someone who got off this week, and they were told they were top 50 last week.

Reactions: 1 users
I just emailed Dean Strother to see how many they have taken so far. I'll report back when I have a response.

Reactions: 3 users
Dean Strother just responded that they have accepted 50 so far.

Did you get any sort of notion as to whether or not he expects movement to continue?
I asked but have not heard yet. I will let y'all know. 50 accepts from a waitlist only 2 weeks after it was made seems like a whole lot. So hopefully movement continues.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: He said they made a few acceptance calls last week and that movement has slowed and he can't guess how many more offers they will make. I plan to stay in touch with him to see how movement is coming along. Lucky for us it is only May!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope I get to meet in Aug, some of you, a lot of you, who take the trouble to update SDN on any info/insight pertinent to acceptance to help others in a similar situation. It can be so frustrating not knowing where you stand this late in cycle and to have to wait patiently while simultaneously prepare for another round of application cycle. I pray/hope that some of you hear some good news soon. Those in the top 50 of alternate list, do write and share the good news or any info you have.

Update: He said they made a few acceptance calls last week and that movement has slowed and he can't guess how many more offers they will make. I plan to stay in touch with him to see how movement is coming along. Lucky for us it is only May!
Did you plan on staying in touch or did he suggest that? ;) I got a very similar response to you.

There is no telling what is going to happen but my personal prediction is that we will see maybe 5-10 more people get off out of the 36 that remain ( making for a total of 55-60 getting off this year). I would love to be wrong though!

Last edited:
Did you plan on staying in touch or did he suggest that? ;) I got a very similar response to you.

There is no telling what is going to happen but my personal prediction is that we will see maybe 5-10 more people get off out of the 26 that remain ( making for a total of 55-60 getting off this year). I would love to be wrong though!

Haha yea he suggested it! I hope that we see as many as possible!

From Dean Strother a few minutes ago: "We have made 50 offers to date, including three last week. I anticipate some additional movement, but would not be able to estimate the number. The good news is that it is May 23rd and not July 23rd. In short, a lot can happen."

Haha yea he suggested it! I hope that we see as many as possible!
He suggested the same thing to me, haha....

It stinks knowing that everyone still in the upper third was placed on the back end of the upper third. Someone has to be there though.

He suggested the same thing to me, haha....

It stinks knowing that everyone still in the upper third was placed on the back end of the upper third. Someone has to be there though.

I know..I was hoping he hadn't designated just because he didn't have time or something. But it seems we all are in the same boat. Hopefully at least a couple of us from the thread are accepted eventually. As he said, there is still a lot of time.

Has anyone asked him more specifically where they are on the list? Other than just "top third".

Has anyone asked him more specifically where they are on the list? Other than just "top third".

I don't think so. Though if they're up to at least 50 by now, it's safe to assume we are in the 51-80 range or whatever the number is.

I don't think so. Though if they're up to at least 50 by now, it's safe to assume we are in the 51-80 range or whatever the number is.

Yea definitely in the remaining part. Hoping for a little more specifics. But maybe they'll be more movement and we'll find out soon.

Middle third. I guess I'll ride the wait train one more year.

At least I get to spend more time in my volunteer position. Working with those kids has been a incredible blessing in my life.

They have extended 54 offers as of today, so it appears the WL is still continuing to move. Keep your fingers crossed guys!

Reactions: 3 users
They have extended 54 offers as of today, so it appears the WL is still continuing to move. Keep your fingers crossed guys!

Wow. There does seem to be a lot of movement this year. I get more and more nervous the closer they get to the 61 offers they made last cycle though.

Wow. There does seem to be a lot of movement this year. I get more and more nervous the closer they get to the 61 offers they made last cycle though.

Per Dean Strother, 74 offers were made last year.

I was talking with someone else earlier. And I got the idea of 61 from when I met with him late May last cycle. That gives me hope for sure!

If there is a current student hanging around here, could you please pm me. I'm looking at different housing options and would like some insight. Thanks!

Anyone heard anything else this week?
I have not. I'm wondering where the waiting list movement is now though.

Edit: Latest number I've been told by a friend is 58. Take that for what you will.

Edit#2 one more got in this week. 59 now.

Last edited:
I have not. I'm wondering where the waiting list movement is now though.

Edit: Latest number I've been told by a friend is 58. Take that for what you will.

Edit#2 one more got in this week. 59 now.

Wow hopefully movement continues for a little longer at least! When does it usually slow enough for them to send the letters about looking for another option? End of June?

Because the waiting list can potentially move all the way up until class starts, I'd assume they would not contact upper third people until a lot closer to the first day of class if they're not going to get in. My guess would be July....

Middle/lower third people will probably be contacted soonish.

60 people have made it in so far. Hopefully it keeps on moving.

I did the pharmacology program this past year, and most of us were waitlisted. My classmates are starting to get in, and I try to give updates based on what I know. I haven't personally emailed Dean Strother in over a week. I don't like pestering someone who gets 100+ emails a week asking the same question haha.

I did the pharmacology program this past year, and most of us were waitlisted. My classmates are starting to get in, and I try to give updates based on what I know. I haven't personally emailed Dean Strother in over a week. I don't like pestering someone who gets 100+ emails a week asking the same question haha.

Oh ok. That's awesome to know so many on the list then!

61 now.

Edit: apparently I've been a number off. 60 people have made it in per Dean Strother.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I probably have a bit too much time on my hands, but I have made a compilation of information that may help relieve (or amplify) the anxiety experienced by students waitlisted at UTHSC like myself. Although essentially everything here is based on word of mouth, I will assume that everything posted onto this thread is true and accurate for the sake of this compilation. Since we are all aspiring physicians, I have no reason to believe that anyone has lied here. Also, please forgive my formatting since this is my first post on SDN.

Confirmed Top Third Waitlist (Total = 7):
Me...haha

I was only told top third. I'm assuming that means I am towards the end of the top third though since he did not go more specific like I have noticed before when students are 50 or lower??

I'm top 3rd too. Hmm, I guess it's a waiting game. When does movement generally happen?

Top 3rd! Good luck to y'all in that part with me!

Top third, but I think that means past >60

:(

Upper third here. I'm wondering if there is a chance that they are not telling specific numbers ? I'd like to be optimistic that some of us are in the top 50.Who knows though...

I was just told I'm in the top third, as well. Did Mr. Strother's response to y'all say that he is letting everyone know that they need to be sure and have a secondary plan as they don't know the number of offers they'll send out? Hoping that wasn't just an addition to mine pretty much saying "better luck next year chump"

Other Information:
As Future Vol Doctor stated on page 9 of this thread, the FAQ document states that there are 248 students on the alternate list this year. Based on this information, I would say that there are about 83 slots that comprise the top third of the waitlist.

As Shad0w has stated on page 11 of this thread,
and
60 people have made it in per Dean Strother.

Again, assuming that everything here is correct, this thread accounts for 7 (maybe 8 including LeftyLadyDoc) of the remaining slots between 60 and 83. I haven't really decided whether or not I want the responsibility of updating this list, but if anyone has any additional information that may be helpful, then feel free to reply or let me know so I can edit this post. Thanks for reading and best of luck to everyone else on this rollercoaster ride!

PS: I did not include the middle/bottom third posts since many of them have already abandoned hope for this cycle and have either started preparing for next year or moved on to another school/path.

Last edited:
That's a good summary. If anyone can figure out when the wait list stopped moving last year (last year's thread is not exactly helpful...) It would be appreciated. I only know one person from last year's class, so I'll see what I can find out...

Last edited:
That's a good summary. If anyone can figure out when the wait list stopped moving last year (last year's thread is not exactly helpful...) It would be appreciated. I only know one person from last year's class, so I'll see what I can find out...

I'm pretty sure last year might have been the year they called 2 people during orientation week. Lol. But I think the list moved pretty steady for a while..since they did take 74.

Hey! I was accepted this past Monday! Sorry, I've been working and unable to update SDN.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey! I was accepted this past Monday! Sorry, I've been working and unable to update SDN.
Congratulations! That's great news! Would you be willing to share if you were told top third or something more specific (i.e. Top 60)?

If anyone can figure out when the wait list stopped moving last year (last year's thread is not exactly helpful...) It would be appreciated. I only know one person from last year's class, so I'll see what I can find out...

All I could find out is that last year, the list continued to move after the first week of June...

Still hope for us!

There has been no additional movement since the 6th of June as per Dean Strother.

Another person made it in today. That makes 61. Please keep moving!:boom:

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone still looking for housing in the Memphis area? I have a place, $500/month including furnishing and all utilities. PM me for details or to schedule a viewing. I also have a listing on the UT roommate search website but not many people seem to use that. Also, congrats to all those that made it in off the waitlist! See y'all in August.