2016-2017 University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Well....here we go again. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Drove across the state from knoxville to interview last year, loved everything about it (except driving through the snowstorm on the way back lol). I hope this is the year!

Drove across the state from knoxville to interview last year, loved everything about it (except driving through the snowstorm on the way back lol). I hope this is the year!
Prospective doctor doesn't have any secondary prompts from the past few years. Do you happen to have them from last year?

Prospective doctor doesn't have any secondary prompts from the past few years. Do you happen to have them from last year?

No secondary questions. Just basic information sheet that has to be filled out and mailed in.

As the other guy said, there are not any secondary prompts. Just filling in basic information. Also, they do not charge anything for you to submit your secondary, its free of charge.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Just post here or PM me.

Hey guys, I am new to SDN (In fact, this is my first post :D). UT is definitely #1 on my list. I had a question for whoever might be able to answer it. I submitted my primary when the application opened up, but am re-taking the MCAT August 5th. I got a 504 on the last MCAT, which I know is not very competitive for MD. I was wondering if UT would still send me a secondary in Mid-August if they believe other aspects of my application are competitive. Or would they wait till my scores for the second MCAT came in? I know the process of secondaries differs pretty significantly between schools, but I believe UT screens a lot more strictly. (I've received secondaries for a lot of the other schools I applied for because they don't really screen).

Thank you!

I live in Georgia but have very strong familial ties to Tennessee and visit the state at least once per year and I really want to attend this school, do you guys think it would be worth it to apply here? 513 mcat and 3.83 Sci gpa (strong upward trend). Thanks!

I live in Georgia but have very strong familial ties to Tennessee and visit the state at least once per year and I really want to attend this school, do you guys think it would be worth it to apply here? 513 mcat and 3.83 Sci gpa (strong upward trend). Thanks!
YES!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am new to SDN (In fact, this is my first post :D). UT is definitely #1 on my list. I had a question for whoever might be able to answer it. I submitted my primary when the application opened up, but am re-taking the MCAT August 5th. I got a 504 on the last MCAT, which I know is not very competitive for MD. I was wondering if UT would still send me a secondary in Mid-August if they believe other aspects of my application are competitive. Or would they wait till my scores for the second MCAT came in? I know the process of secondaries differs pretty significantly between schools, but I believe UT screens a lot more strictly. (I've received secondaries for a lot of the other schools I applied for because they don't really screen).

Thank you!
Probably wait to send until after the second scores, but I hear that UT sends out secondaries pretty late as it is.

Probably wait to send until after the second scores, but I hear that UT sends out secondaries pretty late as it is.

The late secondaries suck balls. It will likely be the last secondary that I fill out. I'm currently waiting on ETSU, UT, wake forest and two DO schools. They all seem to do heavy screening before sending secondaries.

I was hoping to have all of my secondaries submitted before the fall semester starts, but it looks like I can give up on that dream lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi all! I am currently a second year that attends at UT COM. Does anyone have questions specific for UTHSC? I'll be around throughout the application process.

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received! Good luck everyone!

Nevermind! It's there! Was you're a bunch of word/pdf documents? There was no link attached other than that.

Yep! One is the information sheet and the other is the actually form. Basically fill out one page and email it back to them. Then print, sign and Mail the signature sheet to them! Good luck! Really hoping for better luck this cycle!

Yep! One is the information sheet and the other is the actually form. Basically fill out one page and email it back to them. Then print, sign and Mail the signature sheet to them! Good luck! Really hoping for better luck this cycle!

Nice! This cycle is looking great for me so far! I have two II's and have gotten secondaries to every school so far!

Nice! This cycle is looking great for me so far! I have two II's and have gotten secondaries to every school so far!

Same! I have 2 II's already as well. Seeing as I didn't get my first until the end of September last cycle, I would say I'm off to a great start!

Same! I have 2 II's already as well. Seeing as I didn't get my first until the end of September last cycle, I would say I'm off to a great start!

Hopefully this is the last cycle that we apply to!

On a side note, do you know when ETSU starts sending out II's?

Hopefully this is the last cycle that we apply to!

On a side note, do you know when ETSU starts sending out II's?

I sure hope so!

First II noted on SDN last cycle was 8/28. So I imagine we have at least another week before those start going out!

Does anyone know how to edit the coursework portion of the secondary? I need to add another class and there isn't enough spaces

Does anyone know how to edit the coursework portion of the secondary? I need to add another class and there isn't enough spaces

On the info sheet, it says to submit a word document with the additional courses that exceed the space.

Pleasantly surprised to have received a secondary yesterday considering my re-take MCAT scores don't come in for another couple weeks!

Stats for those who got a secondary?

Can't figure out how to quote your question but here:

LizzyM ~80

So, I read on last year's thread that this school only sends secondaries to those they are going to interview (secondary = II). Is that a thing?

I'm not sure if that holds up for everyone, but I do know that MSAR showed ~60+% of the IS applicants got interviews, so maybe all the people in the thread got interviews?

Aren't all of the MD schools in TN heavily in-state biased? That is the impression I get from reading their websites.

I'm not sure if that holds up for everyone, but I do know that MSAR showed ~60+% of the IS applicants got interviews, so maybe all the people in the thread got interviews?

I don't think that was the case, but I'll look back over it again. I know I read it on a past UTenn thread, though.

Last edited:
When does the Interview process begin for UTHSC? Any ideas? Or has it already started? Just asking......

Has anyone ever had a personal meeting with Mr. Strother? He told me my GPA, though low, is competitive with my strong upward trend. He recommended I get some more clinical exposure and get a good MCAT score and I should be competitive. Is this a solid piece of advice? Or should I try raising my GPA anyway? Currently 3.3 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA with a 3.7+ for the last 4 semesters of undergrad. Currently working full-time doing research with the medical school. IS resident.

P.S. I will be applying next cycle.

Has anyone ever had a personal meeting with Mr. Strother? He told me my GPA, though low, is competitive with my strong upward trend. He recommended I get some more clinical exposure and get a good MCAT score and I should be competitive. Is this a solid piece of advice? Or should I try raising my GPA anyway? Currently 3.3 cGPA and 3.1 sGPA with a 3.7+ for the last 4 semesters of undergrad. Currently working full-time doing research with the medical school. IS resident.

P.S. I will be applying next cycle.

Yep. I have had several interactions with him. He is a great resource. I met with him after the last cycle.