2016-2017 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
upload_2017-3-23_11-13-35.png

This makes me want to withdraw my acceptance. Is this like one of the most expensive schools in the country?

Members don't see this ad.

View attachment 216621

This makes me want to withdraw my acceptance. Is this like one of the most expensive schools in the country?

I don't think it's THE most expensive, but it's a private school in CA. Definitely up there. The overall COA might be the highest though, and that's because of the high cost of living in LA. Rent is high, going to need lots of gas for driving, etc.[

View attachment 216621

Keep in mind this is the estimated cost of everything which may include thousands of dollars for things you already have or are accounting for. This number is usually used for loan calculations (a higher number could let you borrow more). Tuition is still 59k, and I know people who can get by with spending ~75k total a year. Not saying that's cheap, but still less than those numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 216621

Between the insane tuition and super high cost of living in LA I bet it has the highest total cost. Not anywhere near as bad as their dental school, but USC is known for milking their students for money like crazy.

Accepted 3/21, interviewed late Feb. Very likely will matriculate here (down to Pitt vs USC, UCSD waiting list) and have a few questions please.

1. How hard is it to get a spot at Currie Hall? Is there a long waiting list? When do you apply?

2. I am aware that many med students live in surrounding community, but there ARE some med students staying at Currie no? If not, is it *that* bad of an area? (Read on facebook page about it being close to a railroad track and hence noisy?)

TIA.

Accepted 3/21, interviewed late Feb. Very likely will matriculate here (down to Pitt vs USC, UCSD waiting list) and have a few questions please.

1. How hard is it to get a spot at Currie Hall? Is there a long waiting list? When do you apply?

2. I am aware that many med students live in surrounding community, but there ARE some med students staying at Currie no? If not, is it *that* bad of an area? (Read on facebook page about it being close to a railroad track and hence noisy?)

TIA.
I don't go here but I have friends that do and may matriculate. Until last year, almost everyone lived elsewhere (south pas, pas, etc.). Last year was the first year Currie Hall opened and my friend estimated that st least half, if not 3/4 of his class lived there and planned to live there again for M2. In October the Hall was already 85% filled for the next year, so I assume they were the ones to renew their leases. I have no idea how the waiting list is, but I assume most of the incoming M1 class will have to live elsewhere.

The area around Keck is pretty bad. Immediate surroundings are relatively fine in terms of safety (and I assume Currie will have safety precautions), but in terms of amenities you'll have to look elsewhere. I'm fairly certain there aren't any grocery stores, restaurants, bars, etc around. It's just isolated and won't really feel like you're living in LA at all in the Keck bubble.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't go here but I have friends that do and may matriculate. Until last year, almost everyone lived elsewhere (south pas, pas, etc.). Last year was the first year Currie Hall opened and my friend estimated that st least half, if not 3/4 of his class lived there and planned to live there again for M2. In October the Hall was already 85% filled for the next year, so I assume they were the ones to renew their leases. I have no idea how the waiting list is, but I assume most of the incoming M1 class will have to live elsewhere.

The area around Keck is pretty bad. Immediate surroundings are relatively fine in terms of safety (and I assume Currie will have safety precautions), but in terms of amenities you'll have to look elsewhere. I'm fairly certain there aren't any grocery stores, restaurants, bars, etc around. It's just isolated and won't really feel like you're living in LA at all in the Keck bubble.

Thank you for the very helpful reply. Several options are available: efficiency A/B/C, one/two bedroom(s), etc. Any advice or comment there? I guess the 2 bedrooms' roommates are assigned by Currie unless 2 people for example form a group and put in roommate request? As first time residents it seems we would be destined to have rooms facing the railroad track :)?

Is the rule for waitlist to ONLY send in a letter of intent until April 30th if you already have another acceptance?

Is the rule for waitlist to ONLY send in a letter of intent until April 30th if you already have another acceptance?

It's to only send one AFTER April 30th if you have an acceptance I believe

Anyone heard back from 3/1 Interviews?
I heard back on 3/14! we must have been part of the same interview group on 3/1 :) hope you hear back soon....we could potentially be classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how many people get put on the alternate list? And how many people usually get accepted from it every year?

Reactions: 1 users
Is there an accepted students Facebook group? If so, could someone pm me? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi all,

To those who currently go to USC or those who are currently waitlisted, do you plan to send a letter of intent and/or update letter? If so, which should I send (or should I send both)? Also, when would be the optimal time to send such a letter? I know April 30th is the magic day but I'm not sure if slightly before, after, or on April 30th is optimal. Lastly, if I were to send a letter of intent and/or update letter, would it be appropriate to send a letter of recommendation (from a physician whom I've shadowed since interviewing at USC) attached to my letter of intent/update letter?

I interviewed back in January and am wondering what steps I can do to further my chances of getting off the waitlist.

edit: note that I did not receive any acceptances this cycle (currently waitlisted at UC Davis, USC, and UCSD )

Dean specifically said not to send any form of an update. All she wants to know is if you'd like to remain on the waitlist if you've received other acceptances. If you don't have other acceptances you'll automatically stay on the waitlist and she most likely doesn't want to hear from you.

Hi all,

To those who currently go to USC or those who are currently waitlisted, do you plan to send a letter of intent and/or update letter? If so, which should I send (or should I send both)? Also, when would be the optimal time to send such a letter? I know April 30th is the magic day but I'm not sure if slightly before, after, or on April 30th is optimal. Lastly, if I were to send a letter of intent and/or update letter, would it be appropriate to send a letter of recommendation (from a physician whom I've shadowed since interviewing at USC) attached to my letter of intent/update letter?

I interviewed back in January and am wondering what steps I can do to further my chances of getting off the waitlist.

edit: note that I did not receive any acceptances this cycle (currently waitlisted at UC Davis, USC, and UCSD )

Dean specifically said not to send any form of an update. All she wants to know is if you'd like to remain on the waitlist if you've received other acceptances. If you don't have other acceptances you'll automatically stay on the waitlist and she most likely doesn't want to hear from you.

So we shouldn't write like a letter of intent even if we have other acceptances? We just email saying "I would like to stay on the waitlists" or do we get like one last chance to explain why we want to go there?

Edit: " If you should receive a waitlist decision from our school, but would like to attend the Keck School of Medicine of USC, you may send a brief letter of intent email on April 30th under the following condition: You are holding multiple acceptances at other schools, especially if an acceptance is at your state school."

So looks like I'll write a brief letter of intent

So we shouldn't write like a letter of intent even if we have other acceptances? We just email saying "I would like to stay on the waitlists" or do we get like one last chance to explain why we want to go there?

Edit: " If you should receive a waitlist decision from our school, but would like to attend the Keck School of Medicine of USC, you may send a brief letter of intent email on April 30th under the following condition: You are holding multiple acceptances at other schools, especially if an acceptance is at your state school."

So looks like I'll write a brief letter of intent

At my interview day, she stressed BRIEF. As in, one sentence should do it. More than that and you're likely to irritate her... just my $0.02

At my interview day, she stressed BRIEF. As in, one sentence should do it. More than that and you're likely to irritate her... just my $0.02

Thank you for the warning! She seems very easy to irritate so best to proceed with caution haha.

So what's the consensus on waitlist movement here? Does it vary by year or am I correct in assuming that there's usually no (or very little) movement?

Also are you guys gonna email the school on April 30th or wait till March 1st (Monday)?

Good luck Fam!

So what's the consensus on waitlist movement here? Does it vary by year or am I correct in assuming that there's usually no (or very little) movement?

Also are you guys gonna email the school on April 30th or wait till March 1st (Monday)?

Good luck Fam!

During interview day she said that they got it exactly right for the past 2 years...

anyone willing to share info about how the salerni "second look" event was? couldn't justify flying in from the northeast for a 4 hr event :/ and will they set up an excel sheet or something we can use to find potential roommates?

Has Keck handed out all scholarships already or are they upcoming?

Just withdrew with waitlisted folks on my mind; guess the west coast dream will have to wait. May the force be with you post-April 30!! :)

For any current students, what is the parking situation like on campus? Are some students unable to get parking permits?

Withdrew from waitlist this week. Good luck to those still hoping to hear back :xf:

Anybody know the clinical rotation sites? Are most rotations done at LAC/USC? Haven't found anything on this online.

I recall speaking to students about this but I don't remember the details...though I want to say most are at County and maybe a few at Norris/Keck

Probably CHLA for peds

USC is also affiliated with Rancho Los Amigos which is a rehab hospital but I'm not sure if students get to rotate through there.

I recall speaking to students about this but I don't remember the details...though I want to say most are at County and maybe a few at Norris/Keck

Probably CHLA for peds

USC is also affiliated with Rancho Los Amigos which is a rehab hospital but I'm not sure if students get to rotate through there.
I think most is county/keck. For peds I think it's half CHLA half County. And then for family is either some place in LA, some place in Palm Springs, or some place in Hawaii(?). I vaguely recall Hawaii but I'm not 100% sure.

I think most is county/keck. For peds I think it's half CHLA half County. And then for family is either some place in LA, some place in Palm Springs, or some place in Hawaii(?). I vaguely recall Hawaii but I'm not 100% sure.

I was out in the Palm Springs area a few weeks ago and it was scorching hot (it had barely turned spring). Would hope the rotation isn't during the summer. Nice scenery and lots of golf courses though
Coachella which is nearby was the past 2 weekends and it was 90+ degrees

Last edited:
How are people going about finding roommates? No one's really posting on the Facebook group so I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

Reactions: 3 users
How are people going about finding roommates? No one's really posting on the Facebook group so I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

in the same position as you.. I know other schools' fb pages have an excel sheet where people looking for roommates can list their contact info and living preferences. hopefully after Apr 30 the admin or someone will start that for keck?

I have a lease on a one bedroom place in Pasadena but I'm trying to switch to a two bedroom in the same complex to make it cheaper per month. Rent is about 1250 a month. Message me if you're interested.

in the same position as you.. I know other schools' fb pages have an excel sheet where people looking for roommates can list their contact info and living preferences. hopefully after Apr 30 the admin or someone will start that for keck?

When should we send a letter of intent if we're on the waitlist? Sunday or Monday? I know it sounds neurotic but the dean was like super specific about the exact time she wanted the letter for some reason. I don't want to send it too early and annoy her. Thank you!

Withdrew post acceptance. Best of luck to all those on the waitlist. Truly is an amazing school!

Side question: do you just have to send the admissions office an email to withdraw?

When should we send a letter of intent if we're on the waitlist? Sunday or Monday? I know it sounds neurotic but the dean was like super specific about the exact time she wanted the letter for some reason. I don't want to send it too early and annoy her. Thank you!
They won't see it until Monday anyway, so if I were you, I would just send it on Monday.

Is there a specific email address we send to in order to remain on the waitlist? I have it written down somewhere but I'm at work

Another year of no waitlist movement eh?
If you look at last year's thread there were definitely at least a handful of people who got in off the waitlist, movement didn't seem to start until around May 15th last year

I just can't stand waiting any longer. It looks like in the 2 previous cycles before last year's there was barely any movement at all. I just hope this round isn't a repeat of those, but it's hard not to be pessimistic...

@ admitted students, how are people finding roommates? I wanted to use the FB group but it doesn't seem like anyone else is really posting about roommate stuff so just wondering if people are using something else??

@ admitted students, how are people finding roommates? I wanted to use the FB group but it doesn't seem like anyone else is really posting about roommate stuff so just wondering if people are using something else??

LOL I'm such a slacker and haven't even begun looking for places and roommates yet :( Perhaps 'cause I'm local and so occupied with work... or that I'm still tryna wrap my head around the fact that I'll be back in school this Fall after about two years of absolutely no homework and free weekends hahaha

LOL I'm such a slacker and haven't even begun looking for places and roommates yet :( Perhaps 'cause I'm local and so occupied with work... or that I'm still tryna wrap my head around the fact that I'll be back in school this Fall after about two years of absolutely no homework and free weekends hahaha

Lmao me too. I signed a lease with Curry and have no idea who I'll end up with. See you on campus come Aug.:horns:

So if my calculations are correct, waitlist movement will either start on Friday (tomorrow) or this coming Monday, or later that week. That is, if this year follows the previous few years. Strap yourselves in boys and girls.

Just withdrew due to WL acceptance at another school. Good luck to all those on the WL!