2016-2017 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why don't you recommend living right next to campus? (aka are you referring to Currie Hall?)

The campus is in a bad area. I've lived in the area the last few years and USC does a nice job of cleaning up the area around the hospital but 5 minutes away it gets pretty bad. As for traffic, it's really really bad, so don't live too far. You'll learn soon that any little errand you want to run is 10x harder in LA haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if II are still going out or if I haven't heard anything by now it's a silent rejection? (Complete in September)
I was complete in october and got an II yesterday only after emailing them the day before. Their interview season ends march 3rd but email them now and they may invite you for next week.

I was complete in october and got an II yesterday only after emailing them the day before. Their interview season ends march 3rd but email them now and they may invite you for next week.
What did you email them and to what email address did you send it to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called the financial aid office. Apparently they do not award any kind of grants for graduate students? Does USC offer merit-based scholarships? If so, when doe sthis happen?

Reactions: 1 user
I just called the financial aid office. Apparently they do not award any kind of grants for graduate students? Does USC offer merit-based scholarships? If so, when doe sthis happen?

According to last year's thread : "When I talked to admissions they said merit-based scholarships were sent out along with admissions letters for those who received them. Around April 30th, the funds granted to students who did not accept USC's offer will be reallocated to those who did."

Our M1 tour guides said a lot of students apply for scholarships during M2. A couple of them said they didn't know of anyone from their class who received a USC Keck scholarship during M1.

Hope they pass some scholarship money my way. It would make the acceptance a lot easier to swallow.

Does USC send physical acceptance letters? Need it for a scholarship application and haven't received anything for the last few weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does USC send physical acceptance letters? Need it for a scholarship application and haven't received anything for the last few weeks...

Yessir they do! Received mine late last week. ✌ Had to send a copy for a scholarship as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
They told us every other Tuesday at my interview, and last week was a decision Tuesday. I'm assuming it's next week then? Or did they tell you something different at your date.
At our interview date, Dr. Arias told us that today (02/28) was a decision Tuesday, and so was two Tuesdays from now (03/14), and four Tuesdays from now (03/28).

At our interview date, Dr. Arias told us that today (02/28) was a decision Tuesday, and so was two Tuesdays from now (03/14), and four Tuesdays from now (03/28).

Yes we were told the same thing (I interviewed 2/22)

Oh weird.... Now I'm wondering if I'm remembering things wrongly LOL

I'm applying next cycle, but I was wondering if Keck is a type of school that takes connections into account/have preferences for "their own."
I've been volunteering there for the past 3 summers for around 1500+ hours. Also I did research during those summers and have 4 pubs under a PI that's an assistant professor at Keck. My 2 personal LoR are both from Keck faculty as well...
As you can tell it's my dream school and I'm hoping to get some love next cycle!
As for stats, I have LizzyM of ~74

Waitlisted. Unreal. Waitlisted from 3 schools with 60% post II acceptance rate. I HATE interviewing

also waitlisted, interviewed 2/22, really bummed because I thought my interviews went great and I was stoked on the possibility of attending

I'm applying next cycle, but I was wondering if Keck is a type of school that takes connections into account/have preferences for "their own."
I've been volunteering there for the past 3 summers for around 1500+ hours. Also I did research during those summers and have 4 pubs under a PI that's an assistant professor at Keck. My 2 personal LoR are both from Keck faculty as well...
As you can tell it's my dream school and I'm hoping to get some love next cycle!
As for stats, I have LizzyM of ~74

USC undergrad here - was invited for a very early interview. There was probably a one week turnover between secondary submission and my II. Many of my friends here at USC received early invites as well. Not sure if this means they actually have preferences for people connected to USC, but it sure seemed like it.

also waitlisted, interviewed 2/22, really bummed because I thought my interviews went great and I was stoked on the possibility of attending

Oh wow I really didn't expected any of us 2/22 people to hear back this week. I know she said it was possible, but wow that's a quick turnaround.

Interviewing here tomorrow-- can anyone (current students or anyones who's interviewed) tell me a little about the school so i can be prepared? things you liked and didnt like, etc?

Has anyone who interviewed on 2/3 heard back anything yet? All I've had is silence...

Has anyone who interviewed on 2/3 heard back anything yet? All I've had is silence...

I interviewed the same day. Haven't heard anything back yet. Not sure if that's a good thing hahah but seems like the 2/22 kids just heard back so any decisions on our group probably hasn't sent out yet.

Interviewing here tomorrow-- can anyone (current students or anyones who's interviewed) tell me a little about the school so i can be prepared? things you liked and didnt like, etc?

Just be yourself. Keck has really chill interviews (obviously depends on your interviewer but that was the general view from people I know that also interviewed there).

PSA- Keck's admission's team opened an official facebook group this morning. Therefore, I will be shutting down the current group I created ('KECK '21 Admitted Students').

Official group can be found:
Keck School of Medicine MD 2021

https://www.facebook.com/groups/784807814990999/

It's been lit. See you all on the other side :roflcopter:

Does anyone know what date Orientation will begin? I'm waitlisted and can't find the info anywhere, but I'd like to know so that I can make sure I'm available in case I do go to Keck

Does anyone know what date Orientation will begin? I'm waitlisted and can't find the info anywhere, but I'd like to know so that I can make sure I'm available in case I do go to Keck

August 2nd to August 4th.

First post on SDN after being a long time lurker. ACCEPTED!! Interviewed 2/28 (Late interviewees who are reading this in the future, you definitely have a chance). LizzyM 74, IS

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted. Interviewed 2/22. Don't believe I will accept the waitlist offer.

Did anyone from 3/3 hear back today? They made it sound like we would for sure hear back today (if accepted I guess). I almost went crazy lol. But from the other comments my theory is they're backed up and still determining the fate of the February dates?

Guess I'll have to wait two Tuesdays regardless though

Withdrew post acceptance. Hopefully it goes to one of you! :) rooting for you!

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted to the dual degree MD/MPH program two days ago, but I think I'll have to withdraw because I didn't get any grant aid +pity+

Anyone who interviewed on 2/17 hear back yet?

How did interviewees from 2/22 already get accepted/waitlisted when those from ⅔ still have silence? I feel like I'm on a mini waitlist until they review all late interviewees and ultimately accept the best and waitlist the rest since it's the end of the cycle...thoughts?

Anyone who interviewed on 2/17 hear back yet?

How did interviewees from 2/22 already get accepted/waitlisted when those from ⅔ still have silence? I feel like I'm on a mini waitlist until they review all late interviewees and ultimately accept the best and waitlist the rest since it's the end of the cycle...thoughts?

I'm from 2/3 and I think they might just wait till all the interviews are done and decide from them all who to accept unless people were glaringly bad to waitlist (no offense to anyone above). But that's just my speculation and I have no idea.

I heard from a friend at Keck that their interviews are complete. I think they finished around March 1st so I imagine that now they are just comparing applicants to each other

So 3/28 should be the final decision day I'm guessing? Not feeling too confident at this point and currently have no acceptances :(

Ohhh my god. I just got accepted. The wait is finally over. First acceptance. Ohh my god. I can't think straight. Interviewed 3/3. Good luck to everyone else. What a freaking weight off my shoulders.

Reactions: 10 users
Ohhh my god. I just got accepted. The wait is finally over. First acceptance. Ohh my god. I can't think straight. Interviewed 3/3. Good luck to everyone else. What a freaking weight off my shoulders.

Amazing! Congratulations! I am still waiting, but perhaps we will be future classmates down the line

Accepted on Tuesday via email! Interviewed end of February. LizzyM ~70. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

SO EXCITED!