2016-2017 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just canceled my interview
I don't think I've ever seen this done on here before... but! I live on the east coast and I'm pretty determined to fit my Cali interviews into one trip. Does anyone in here have an interview scheduled for the week of January 23rd that are open to switching their date? Please PM me if so!
I dont know if this will help, but I just canceled my interview for the 25th due to other acceptances, so you may be able to call them and check if my slot is now available. Best of Luck

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just canceled my interview

I dont know if this will help, but I just canceled my interview for the 25th due to other acceptances, so you may be able to call them and check if my slot is now available. Best of Luck

Oh awesome thank you! I saw the opening for the 25th on the calendar and confirmed before I even saw your message :)

Around this time two cycles ago there was a Facebook page for accepted students that listed the date of the first day of orientation. MSAR lists this as August 4, 2017, but MSAR was wrong about one or two other schools. Can anyone confirm that this is (or is not) definitively the correct date for the first day of orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is also no second look or Facebook page right?

anybody else apply late june / early july and still not heard anything?

Lol finally rejection email haha

Rejected. Complete early July. No surprise at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
so keck really doesn't like update/letter of interest? I want to send one...

Anyone have experience getting to USC from LAX? I'll be staying at a hotel near the main campus. Uber would cost $20-$25 :(. Google suggested taking the LA Metro 102. Thoughts?

Anyone have experience getting to USC from LAX? I'll be staying at a hotel near the main campus. Uber would cost $20-$25 :(. Google suggested taking the LA Metro 102. Thoughts?
I would honestly just take the uber, and I'm pretty cheap. LA public transportation is just bad.
Though I'll let someone else chime in if they've actually taken that specific route

Trojan here. You can take a shared shuttle van that drops you off at whichever gates on SCampus. IIRC it was around $15 one way. You can check this page out: http://primetimeshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res?USERIDENTRY=TROJAN07&LOGON=GO

And for anyone trying to get to HSC campus from LAX, best bet is FlyAway ($9ish) to Union Station (~3 miles from HSC) and Uber from there.

Fight on!!!

Waitlisted! Not too upset but hopefully I can get off of it! Interview 1/13 so really quick turn around

Anyone know about alternate list movement after April 30? Would love to not end up at my state school lol

Anyone know about alternate list movement after April 30? Would love to not end up at my state school lol

Wow I'd choose a state school's tuition in a heartbeat haha. But as far as alternate list movement, it's probably only a handful unfortunately (I'm on it too)

Wow I'd choose a state school's tuition in a heartbeat haha. But as far as alternate list movement, it's probably only a handful unfortunately (I'm on it too)
I mean, it really depends on the state school. COA for my state school is still ~60K a year which isn't even close to the 92K for this one, but I think that extra 32K per year would be worth it since this is clearly a better school (with a lot more resources).

In the long run, it'd only take an extra year to pay it off (if lived under means) which make the four years worth it (plus potentially better residencies, etc).

KECK IM DYING 13+ weeks since my interview and still no decision???? this is getting ridiculous..

Reactions: 2 users

Yea my state school isn't necessarily significantly cheaper and I loved Keck enough that I'd want to go there more potentially

Trojan here. You can take a shared shuttle van that drops you off at whichever gates on SCampus. IIRC it was around $15 one way. You can check this page out: http://primetimeshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res?USERIDENTRY=TROJAN07&LOGON=GO

And for anyone trying to get to HSC campus from LAX, best bet is FlyAway ($9ish) to Union Station (~3 miles from HSC) and Uber from there.

Fight on!!!
Thanks for you input @rakasan . Are you required to show a USC ID to use the shuttles? I was thinking of using the USC shuttle to get from the main campus to Keck the morning of my interview.

I would honestly just take the uber, and I'm pretty cheap. LA public transportation is just bad.
Though I'll let someone else chime in if they've actually taken that specific route

$25-30 Uber vs less than $2 for LA Metro is pretty enticing for me, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice safety for 23 bucks. When you say bad, do you mean in terms of convenience/comfort or safety?

Thank you!

$25-30 Uber vs less than $2 for LA Metro is pretty enticing for me, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice safety for 23 bucks. When you say bad, do you mean in terms of convenience/comfort or safety?

Thank you!
The original person quoted $20-25 which is probably the max I would pay. And yea the metro isn't super convenient time or location wise, at least in my experience. As for safety, if you have commuted in a large urban center like NYC or Boston before it's pretty comparable. You'll be fine if you are careful and travel during the day :)
If you can plan out a reasonable route on Google maps and you have plenty of time and don't mind public transit, I think it's fine. You can always switch to uber at the last minute if plans fall through

I think someone above from usc suggested a good transit method directly to the university

The original person quoted $20-25 which is probably the max I would pay. And yea the metro isn't super convenient time or location wise, at least in my experience. As for safety, if you have commuted in a large urban center like NYC or Boston before it's pretty comparable. You'll be fine if you are careful and travel during the day :)
If you can plan out a reasonable route on Google maps and you have plenty of time and don't mind public transit, I think it's fine. You can always switch to uber at the last minute if plans fall through

I think someone above from usc suggested a good transit method directly to the university
Awesome! Thank you!

Just got the axe! Was complete way back in July, had almost forgotten about this one. Best of luck to all others still in the running.

Just got the axe! Was complete way back in July, had almost forgotten about this one. Best of luck to all others still in the running.
+1

I can finally f**k outta this thread -- see ya peeps

Thanks for you input @rakasan . Are you required to show a USC ID to use the shuttles? I was thinking of using the USC shuttle to get from the main campus to Keck the morning of my interview.

Back in my day, no ID was necessary for the intercampus shuttle. However, I will note that every time I go back to visit it seems like they beef up security (ex. needing an ID to enter campus after 9pm). I'd bet that you'd have no problems, but just to be sure you can call the transportation office and they'd likely be able to confirm. I wouldn't want to be responsible for you missing your interview ;)

Back in my day, no ID was necessary for the intercampus shuttle. However, I will note that every time I go back to visit it seems like they beef up security (ex. needing an ID to enter campus after 9pm). I'd bet that you'd have no problems, but just to be sure you can call the transportation office and they'd likely be able to confirm. I wouldn't want to be responsible for you missing your interview ;)

LOL yeah. I'll give them a call. Thank you!

same - best of luck to those of you still in consideration!

Interviewed here this week and gotta say I would drop a higher ranked acceptance for this awesome med school! Hoping that karma bodes well!

Do any current students have advice about housing options? I'm leaving the Midwest to matriculate here in the fall (goodbye, windchill!) and some info about good places to live would be appreciated.

Do any current students have advice about housing options? I'm leaving the Midwest to matriculate here in the fall (goodbye, windchill!) and some info about good places to live would be appreciated.
I heard about the Currie Hall option, but I'm in the same position as you as far as housing goes.