2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone, just a PSA: I just got word from financial aid that only unsubsidized loans can be seen on OASIS right now. They have not awarded any grants or scholarships yet, and you have to apply for GradPLUS loans by yourself through the government finaid website.

Did they give you a timeline on when the rest of it would be out?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got into USF off the waitlist! So excited to be coming here in the fall!

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you interview? I assume they called you and told you?
I interviewed on 1/31 and just got a call from Dr. Daniels this afternoon! He made it seem like a couple of spots had just opened up, so there might be more off the waitlist, but don't quote me.

I interviewed on 1/31 and just got a call from Dr. Daniels this afternoon! He made it seem like a couple of spots had just opened up, so there might be more off the waitlist, but don't quote me.
Damn, congrats. What are your stats?

Just a quick question: do we have to email to accept our spot/let them know we will be coming to the school next year? Or is it just assumed after you submit all of the forms.

Just a quick question: do we have to email to accept our spot/let them know we will be coming to the school next year? Or is it just assumed after you submit all of the forms.
Sign and scan the Acceptance Acknowledgement and the Technical Standards. Then they should email you back confirmation!

Sorry for the newb comment, but what does it mean when someone says "+1"? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question for those of you who interviewed etc., I am applying to USF this coming cycle and am OOS, but I did a summer research program at USF in 2015. I worked in a lab at Morsani with a PI who teaches an M1 class. I ended up with a first author publication with my name associated with Morsani, except as I mentioned I'm OOS. How do you think this will be viewed by adcoms based on your experiences so far? I'm just trying to figure out if it gives me a leg up at all because I really want to go there. I know it obviously would never look bad I just don't know if it looks any better than a normal summer research program especially since I didn't go there for undergrad. Also the rec letter from the PI is very very strong, my current PI (full time research job) said it was one of the best recommendations she ever heard when she talked to them over the phone

Thanks for the help

I have a question for those of you who interviewed etc., I am applying to USF this coming cycle and am OOS, but I did a summer research program at USF in 2015. I worked in a lab at Morsani with a PI who teaches an M1 class. I ended up with a first author publication with my name associated with Morsani, except as I mentioned I'm OOS. How do you think this will be viewed by adcoms based on your experiences so far? I'm just trying to figure out if it gives me a leg up at all because I really want to go there. I know it obviously would never look bad I just don't know if it looks any better than a normal summer research program especially since I didn't go there for undergrad. Also the rec letter from the PI is very very strong, my current PI (full time research job) said it was one of the best recommendations she ever heard when she talked to them over the phone

Thanks for the help

This will be helpful, but I'll be the honest one here... USF cares A LOT about MCAT! I'm talking 510+ (And even more so 512+).
There are some that will get interviewed with 506-510, but those are the exception to the rule. They are trying to increase their avg MCAT acceptance, to improve their ranking as they move downtown. So keep that in mind. A lot of people applied to USF with great credentials and great letters but didn't hear a word because their MCAT wasn't what USF is looking for.

This will be helpful, but I'll be the honest one here... USF cares A LOT about MCAT! I'm talking 510+ (And even more so 512+).
There are some that will get interviewed with 506-510, but those are the exception to the rule. They are trying to increase their avg MCAT acceptance, to improve their ranking as they move downtown. So keep that in mind. A lot of people applied to USF with great credentials and great letters but didn't hear a word because their MCAT wasn't what USF is looking for.

Thanks for the reply, my mcat is 515 with 131 in Biochem and 128 in all the others. I'm just worried because my sGPA is low at 3.22 and cGPA at 3.31 (less than 3.0 first two years, >3.67 last two years so big upward trend) but if the mcat is very important there that's actually good news for me!

Will be withdrawing as I was accepted at my first choice. Best of luck everyone!

Is there a fb group for USF? Hmu if anyone needs a roommate for next year, I have a car and would be happy to offer rides :)

Thanks for the reply, my mcat is 515 with 131 in Biochem and 128 in all the others. I'm just worried because my sGPA is low at 3.22 and cGPA at 3.31 (less than 3.0 first two years, >3.67 last two years so big upward trend) but if the mcat is very important there that's actually good news for me!

I've got almost identical stats and I was offered a February interview this cycle. Still on the waitlist but I'm hoping my MCAT helps me out as well. Best of luck to you!

Just got my waitlist letter in the mail today, does it usually come by mail or email?

Just got the letter that I was waitlisted!
I interviewed on 4/4 and the letter was dated 4/13.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't be discouraged, USF waitlists EVERYONE after Dec... (check previous years threads)
They want to protect their yield (#matriculated/#acceptances given) so this is the game they play... :diebanana:
They'll have good movement (as you can see they've already had some).

Don't be discouraged, USF waitlists EVERYONE after Dec... (check previous years threads)
They want to protect their yield (#matriculated/#acceptances given) so this is the game they play... :diebanana:
They'll have good movement (as you can see they've already had some).

I'm lucky to even have interviewed so I'm glad I wasn't flat out rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got my waitlist letter in the mail, so I guess they don't necessarily update the status page before sending letters out! Good luck to those waiting to hear back!

Last edited:
Just got my waitlist letter in the mail, so I guess they don't necessarily update the status page before sending letters out! Good luck to those waiting to hear back!
When did you interview?

When did you interview?

Late March. The letter was dated like the first week of April, so they must have made the decision early but sent letters out in batches? That or my postal service is slacking haha

Late March. The letter was dated like the first week of April, so they must have made the decision early but sent letters out in batches? That or my postal service is slacking haha
Haha thanks! Congrats!

I'm also a prospective applicant here for this cycle.

To those of you that interviewed, can you share your thoughts on the school? Campus life? Surrounding area? Facilities? Rotation quality? Student happiness? Administration? Grading? Teaching style?

Any negatives you could share?

Interviewed and went to their second look.

I'll start with the only really significant negative I noticed: During second year, you spend a LOT of time in lecture on some days. Not every day, but 2-3 days a week you are given 6-8 solid hours of lecture. From talking to students, seemed like a lot of them watch lectures at home on 2x speed. But if you're a go-to-lecture kind of person, MS2 could be a really rough year at USF.

Overall, though, all of the students I talked to were really happy there. They said it was a lot of work, but that there was a great community of students and faculty. Administration mostly seemed very laid-back, but excited about the success of their students. They couldn't stop talking about all the cool stuff their students had done. Seemed really supportive. When I asked if they had any events or programs for the spouses and SOs of med students, they said no; but then one administrator immediately offered to set one up officially through her office if I wanted to create it. It felt like the administrators do more than just allow students to pursue their own interests; they actively help and contribute resources whenever possible.

We didn't sit in on any lectures, so I can't speak to teaching style very much. One student told me that they don't really do PBL, but that at the end of every lecture they tie the information back to real patients and real-world applications. The students were very positive about rotations. Everyone had nothing but good things to say about TGH, and people talked a lot about the variety of hospitals associated with USF. They have the two busiest VA hospitals in the country (Haley and Bay Pines), All Children's, Shriners Hospital for Children, and Moffitt. So lots of good hospitals with a lot of patient variety. The MS3's we talked to seemed pretty happy with their rotations; one even told us that she hated surgery as a subject, but had really enjoyed her surgery rotation just because of the people and the overall tone.

The admins told us that currently the curriculum was pretty stable and likely wouldn't change much in the next couple of years, but that once the new med school building was built downtown they might re-assess things.

Is anyone else getting the deadline emails? I've submitted all of my paperwork but just got the "final notice" today. I'm freaking out that I might lose my spot. I did get the email saying that my acceptance acknowledgement and technical standards forms were submitted.

Is anyone else getting the deadline emails? I've submitted all of my paperwork but just got the "final notice" today. I'm freaking out that I might lose my spot. I did get the email saying that my acceptance acknowledgement and technical standards forms were submitted.

I've gotten them too, I'm sure it's just a mass email to everyone holding an acceptance. Every time I see one I get excited thinking it's a financial aid email, which should be coming any day now.

Begging for a acceptance call or email off the wait list. Will there be significant movement after April 30th? Or will it go all the way to August? I gotta start planning my other options :/

Not trying to complain just really stressed about all this

Begging for a acceptance call or email off the wait list. Will there be significant movement after April 30th? Or will it go all the way to August? I gotta start planning my other options :/

Not trying to complain just really stressed about all this

I feel you there. The idea of spending another year at home just waiting sounds like a nightmare

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, Just wanted to let people Know i got pulled off of the waitlist this morning got the call. I interviewed January 24.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted today! OOS interviewed mid april

Hey, Just wanted to let people Know i got pulled off of the waitlist this morning got the call. I interviewed January 24. Update** a high possibility I won't go cuz I am Out of state and the tuition may kill me.

+1

Reactions: 1 users
I have heard USF does give some scholarship. Does anyone know what the range usually is? I'm currently sitting on all OOS acceptances, so I'm trying to figure out the lesser of the few tuition evils...

I have heard USF does give some scholarship. Does anyone know what the range usually is? I'm currently sitting on all OOS acceptances, so I'm trying to figure out the lesser of the few tuition evils...
To add onto this - when would we generally find out?