2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if any current students attended the Medical Science Skills Development (MSSD) Program before school started? Did you find it helpful? Seems interesting as I am a non-trad applicant a few years out of school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if any current students attended the Medical Science Skills Development (MSSD) Program before school started? Did you find it helpful? Seems interesting as I am a non-trad applicant a few years out of school.

Was that sent out to everyone? I don't think I got it

Members don't see this ad :)

It was an email from the office of student diversity and enrichment. I think all accepted students should be receiving one as it talks about other things among the MSSD program.

I got one and I took a gap year (idk if that makes me nontrad or not). I can PM you the email if you want.

It was an email from the office of student diversity and enrichment. I think all accepted students should be receiving one as it talks about other things among the MSSD program.

Oh, looks like I got one too. I just graduated last semester. So yeah, it probably is for everyone.

Hi all, I'm waitlisted at USF which is my top choice right now. Is there a lot of movement off the waitlist here? Also, for anyone who might have gotten off the waitlist in the past, is it hard to find an apartment with roommates once getting off the waitlist? Currently dying in anticipation of traffic day.

Hi all, I'm waitlisted at USF which is my top choice right now. Is there a lot of movement off the waitlist here? Also, for anyone who might have gotten off the waitlist in the past, is it hard to find an apartment with roommates once getting off the waitlist? Currently dying in anticipation of traffic day.

Ive heard USF has a lot of waitlist movement. They barely even accept people after December (check past years threads) and they want to minimize the number of people that don't accept their initial offer to protect their yield and continue to improve their ranking as they move downtown.
Meaning: accept minimum needed upfront, as students go elsewhere offer waitlist students that will most likely come offers (determined by how good/aggressive you were during your interview)

Reactions: 2 users
Randomly offered an interview coming 4/11; don't mind interviewing for the waitlist. Can anyone give any advice about the interview day? Any particular types of questions favored? Thanks.

Does anyone here have any more information on how early decision at this school works?

I didn't apply ED but I know people who did. Honestly, I would just email the admissions office. I had to email and they were very nice about answering any questions I had.

idk if this has been mentioned yet but can anyone tell me how long the interview day was?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone remember when we should start hearing about Scholarship information?

Keep an eye on your portal because I checked mine yesterday, and they needed another form filled out by my parents.

Yah good idea. I filled out most of those forms months ago so hopefully everything is fine haha

Is April 30th the earliest waitlisted people will be getting pulled off?

Reactions: 1 users
Finally got axed pre-II. Good luck everyone!

They don't break it down, despite having separate match locations available. You'd have to have the list of SELECT students and compare it. I can tell you the IM at MGH was a SELECT student as well as one of the IR matches. All of the LVHN matches except one GS match were from SELECT.
What the hell are all those acronyms? IM, MGH, IR, LVHN?

My best guesses are IM = Internal Medicine, MGH = Massachusetts General Hospital, IR = Interventional Radiology, and LVHN = Lehigh Valley Health Network.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm pretty sure IM is internal medicine, IR is interventional radiology, MGH is Massachusetts General Hospital, and LVHN is Leigh Valley health network.

My best guesses are IM = Internal Medicine, MGH = Massachusetts General Hospital, IR = Interventional Radiology, and LVHN = Lehigh Valley Health Network.
Ah you beat me to it

ImageUploadedBySDN1492435892.971412.jpg

Totally random, but I went to USF MCOM and recently graduated with a Masters so I bought this gym shirt.
Every time I wear it, I take pride in the fact that I already have a degree from here with my name on it and am definitely hoping I get accepted after the interview I just had here recently.

Go Bulls!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received financial aid packages yet?

In the past, USF has sent many/some packets after the multiple acceptance deadline.

Do you guys know anything about the curriculum? P/F? Mandatory lectures? Are they recorded? PBL?

P/F with honors.
Very few classes mandatory (patient/team exercises will be).
Lectures recorded.
Traditional curriculum w/ some small groups.

In the past, USF has sent many/some packets after the multiple acceptance deadline.

During second look, they said that they are planning to have them out sometime this month, but i wouldn't be surprised if it makes it down to the wire lol

Word, also does anyone know if MCOM offers merit scholarships or substantial need-based scholarships by any chance?

Financial aid seems to have been updated for me- I don't know if it's complete though since it doesn't cover the full cost of attendance

Financial aid seems to have been updated for me- I don't know if it's complete though since it doesn't cover the full cost of attendance

Same, mine only has Fed Unsub loans specifically stating that these are not need based which leads me to also think it isn't complete. I'm very low SES so I imagine I would probably at least receive some subsidized loans.

Damn, I don't think my correct FAFSA was transmitted to USF ... ughhh probably have to wait longer ...

And I don't think I ever submitted my technical standards form. Was this all "Yes/No" online? I'm trying to recall what I did ... I'm pretty sure I accepted my offer online, but not sure if there was an online option for the Technical Standards. I'm probably just going to send both paper copies just in case............ hahaha

Damn, I don't think my correct FAFSA was transmitted to USF ... ughhh probably have to wait longer ...

And I don't think I ever submitted my technical standards form. Was this all "Yes/No" online? I'm trying to recall what I did ... I'm pretty sure I accepted my offer online, but not sure if there was an online option for the Technical Standards. I'm probably just going to send both paper copies just in case............ hahaha

There was a form sent with your physical acceptance letter I think. I just checked and there is another copy on the admission's portal. You should just print it off and email them just to be sure

+1! good to know other people are experiencing this, i was kind of freaking out. lol

+1! good to know other people are experiencing this, i was kind of freaking out. lol

I'm figuring they aren't done yet just because they haven't sent out any emails saying they've updated it lol

will merit scholarships be awarded with our financial aid package if we receive them? or do they have a different timeline

Same, mine only has Fed Unsub loans specifically stating that these are not need based which leads me to also think it isn't complete. I'm very low SES so I imagine I would probably at least receive some subsidized loans.

There are no subsidized loans offered in medical school.

As far as the acceptance paperwork goes, you'll have gotten an email if it's all in and accounted for:

"Dear Accepted Applicant:

Thank you for returning the Acceptance Acknowledgement and Technical Standards Forms. We look forward to your matriculation into USF Morsani College of Medicine. If you have any questions in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Also, please remember we need official transcripts showing degree conferral for ALL degrees you have received. (Bachelors, Masters, PhD. etc.) ALSO, please send official transcripts from all schools you attended.

If you are still currently in school, please forward the official transcript once your degree has posted.

For BS/MD students, please send your official transcripts at the end of your Spring Semester
"

Word, also does anyone know if MCOM offers merit scholarships or substantial need-based scholarships by any chance?

Yes to both, and I've heard they're one of the more generous public schools with it.

Last edited:
As far as the acceptance paperwork goes, you'll have gotten an email if it's all in and accounted for:

"Dear Accepted Applicant:

Thank you for returning the Acceptance Acknowledgement and Technical Standards Forms. We look forward to your matriculation into USF Morsani College of Medicine. If you have any questions in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Also, please remember we need official transcripts showing degree conferral for ALL degrees you have received. (Bachelors, Masters, PhD. etc.) ALSO, please send official transcripts from all schools you attended.

If you are still currently in school, please forward the official transcript once your degree has posted.

For BS/MD students, please send your official transcripts at the end of your Spring Semester
"

Yes to both, and I've heard they're one of the more generous public schools with it.

Looking at their website, it seems like they have more scholarships for people past MS1 though.

Where do you see the financial aid information

go to oasis.usf.edu and log in. There is a tab that says financial aid. From there, you can click the link to see award information.

Ended up withdrawing from here, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone, just a PSA: I just got word from financial aid that only unsubsidized loans can be seen on OASIS right now. They have not awarded any grants or scholarships yet, and you have to apply for GradPLUS loans by yourself through the government finaid website.