2016-2017 University of South Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS, recently got interview invitation for April 11th. Definitely excited because I love Morsani but thoughts? I'm not sure what to think, considering this seems to be around second look time and I completed early August.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
IS, recently got interview invitation for April 11th. Definitely excited because I love Morsani but thoughts? I'm not sure what to think, considering this seems to be around second look time and I completed early August.[/QUOTE
?
Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats please

IS, recently got interview invitation for April 11th. Definitely excited because I love Morsani but thoughts? I'm not sure what to think, considering this seems to be around second look time and I completed early August.
congrats on the ii! coming from someone who spent a ton of money to fly to tampa for a spring interview and then was promptly waitlisted along with everyone else who posted on sdn after interviewing that same day, i'm not so sure i would go out of my way to interview for a spot on the waitlist if you have another acceptance. if you wouldn't choose USF over the school/s you've been accepted to, i don't think i'd go through all the hassle just to be waitlisted when we have no idea what their waitlist movement is like...and i really don't think i've seen a single person on sdn who interviewed in spring who wasn't waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
So at this point we're basically interviewing for the waitlist?

So at this point we're basically interviewing for the waitlist?
Looks that way. I still don't know anyone who interviewed after December and was accepted at USF. (Though I certainly don't know everyone who interviewed so take it with a grain of salt)

Just saw that my application was viewed on 3/7 prior to the wave of rejections.

While I've always been against people getting their self worth from a forum evaluation, desperation compels me to so here goes
Stats: IS, LizzyM 66.5 (I'm guessing they really liked my secondary), Traditional Applicant with a humanities and bio double major, reasonably compelling life story, strong ECs, expressed serious interest in future dual degree. Happy to say more if pertinent.
Like I said I love Morsani so I'm probably flying out regardless but I completed mid-August and just now got the II. I'm languishing on some waitlists but no acceptances so I'm looking at having to prep for another MCAT (main reason why below 70) while still having this interview. I'm in that position where I'm really trying to figure out what to expect from there at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
Seems odd to interview exclusively for the waitlist. Do they accept the bare minimum wait for April 30th and then pick from a ranked list.
Why would they spend the time, energy and money to interview Jan, Feb, Mar and April if they didn't have a real interest in you. Ugh... i just remembered I watched the bachelor last night.

II for CORE today! Even if it is in fact for the waitlist, I live like 15 minutes away and am on the waitlist at two other places so it's worth a try.

II for CORE today! Even if it is in fact for the waitlist, I live like 15 minutes away and am on the waitlist at two other places so it's worth a try.

Wow, I'm surprised they're still sending them out. But that's good news! Congrats

So does USF usually give out finaid info by April 30th?

So does USF usually give out finaid info by April 30th?

Looks like last year they came out around April 26th... So we've got a long road ahead lol

So how's the first month of classes? I know the first week is just orientation stuff but how about the first several weeks after that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for current students: what are your thoughts on the H/HP/P/F grading system? Would you prefer P/F only and has there been any mention on whether it will change?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Is there any way to see the breakdown between CORE and SELECT matches?

They don't break it down, despite having separate match locations available. You'd have to have the list of SELECT students and compare it. I can tell you the IM at MGH was a SELECT student as well as one of the IR matches. All of the LVHN matches except one GS match were from SELECT.

Question for current students: what are your thoughts on the H/HP/P/F grading system? Would you prefer P/F only and has there been any mention on whether it will change?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm okay with it. To be honest there are very few places that don't rank you, so even if you are in a P/F system you are still being compared. I think they switched to H/HP/P/F from P/F recently, so I doubt they would change back.

How do tests/quizzes/assignments work at USF (e.g. frequency, length, pen/paper vs computer, MC vs short answer, etc)?

Hey its been 4 weeks since my interview on 2/20 and I still have not heard anything. Is this normal or should I consider contacting the admissions office?

Have you been checking your physical mail for letters from them? Is the address you provided during the applications the same as your current address?

I'd definitely interview, if your finances allow for it. Not saying others are acting in self-interest (since they may or may not be on the waitlist), but you have no real idea of knowing whether you're interviewing for a waitlist spot or for an open spot. Second look was today so maybe that means the number of offers that went out also matches expected class size but who knows? I can tell you now though that there were several people (n=10) who were undecided on which school they would choose, so waitlist spots may be valuable regardless.

USF put on a great presentation by the way.

I'd definitely interview, if your finances allow for it. Not saying others are acting in self-interest (since they may or may not be on the waitlist), but you have no real idea of knowing whether you're interviewing for a waitlist spot or for an open spot. Second look was today so maybe that means the number of offers that went out also matches expected class size but who knows? I can tell you now though that there were several people (n=10) who were undecided on which school they would choose, so waitlist spots may be valuable regardless.

USF put on a great presentation by the way.

Yeah it was awesome. I'm really excited for next year! For those asking about financial aid, it will come out sometime in April (no exact date- so be patient I guess).

Is financial aid in the form of grants (not loans) really a thing. I am OOS, in the average grade/stat range for accepted students, come from middle class parents, but never qualified for need based grants as an undergrad. All the posts about aid has me hopeful?

Just as a heads up for the people who didn't get to go to Second Look, there really wasn't much of a financial aid talk. The importance of completing the FAFSA and student/parent financial forms was stressed. Also, it was stated that the financial aid packages would be rolled out sometime in April. That was pretty much it. If anyone else has other information, please chime in.

To those that went to second look..

What was it like?
Any interesting/new info?
What were the other students there like? (humans?!)

It would be great to hear anything from those that were able to go :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just as a heads up for the people who didn't get to go to Second Look, there really wasn't much of a financial aid talk. The importance of completing the FAFSA and student/parent financial forms was stressed. Also, it was stated that the financial aid packages would be rolled out sometime in April. That was pretty much it. If anyone else has other information, please chime in.

Their table at the resource thing was even worse lol. The first person told me that they wouldn't have any info until we start in July, even though Dr. Daniel told us 5 min before that it would be released sometime in April. Then the woman who came later clarified everything, but still seemed very stupid to have someone there who didn't know what the plan was.

To those that went to second look..

What was it like?
Any interesting/new info?
What were the other students there like? (humans?!)

It would be great to hear anything from those that were able to go :)

There was a lot of food. The cheesecake bites were ****ing awesome. And we got some free swag so that's always nice!
CAMLS looks really nice. We'll be doing all of our standardized patients there (first class to do so). According to the MS1s and MS2s I spoke with, first year is chill, don't even have lecture every day. Second year is about double the information and time in class, but first year prepares you for it. 3rd and 4th year are pretty much the same as every other med school, but TGH is amazing.
Everyone seemed great. The admins who talked really emphasized that they have a close class, and I think that'll stay the same.

If anyone has anything else to add, or to correct me, feel free to do so!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone remember what the lecture hall power outlet situation was like ? Got a new laptop but the batterylife is pretty struggle bus so I'm wondering if I should return it since I don't want it to run out during lecture.

Also do study spaces have plentiful outlets or nah?

Does anyone remember what the lecture hall power outlet situation was like ? Got a new laptop but the batterylife is pretty struggle bus so I'm wondering if I should return it since I don't want it to run out during lecture.

Also do study spaces have plentiful outlets or nah?

During second look, there were power outlets aplenty in the lecture hall with all the panels. Not sure about the study room, but I'm sure they'll have enough too lol

Does anyone know about the exam schedule? I forgot to ask about that, but is it like weekly, or do we have a week with a bunch of exams?

Does anyone know about the exam schedule? I forgot to ask about that, but is it like weekly, or do we have a week with a bunch of exams?

I vaguely recall a first year saying that exams were every 2 or 3 weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There was a lot of food. The cheesecake bites were ****ing awesome. And we got some free swag so that's always nice!
CAMLS looks really nice. We'll be doing all of our standardized patients there (first class to do so). According to the MS1s and MS2s I spoke with, first year is chill, don't even have lecture every day. Second year is about double the information and time in class, but first year prepares you for it. 3rd and 4th year are pretty much the same as every other med school, but TGH is amazing.
Everyone seemed great. The admins who talked really emphasized that they have a close class, and I think that'll stay the same.

If anyone has anything else to add, or to correct me, feel free to do so!

Just outta curiosity, how'd you get to CAMLS and TGH? Did they bus you around, or did you all have a big motorcade roaming around downtown? And about how many people were there?

Re: CAMLS, does that mean we're not using CACL at all? Or just for Harvey or whatever that sim's name is?

Just outta curiosity, how'd you get to CAMLS and TGH? Did they bus you around, or did you all have a big car entourage roaming around downtown? And about how many people were there?

Re: CAMLS, does that mean we're not using CACL at all? Or just for Harvey or whatever that sim's name is?

They bused us around. Took about 20 minutes or so? Really not too bad, considering they were trying to take a scenic route to show us Tampa.

From what I understand (which may be very wrong, so if someone wants to back me up, much appreciated), the CACL will be used by the other schools in USF health, while the MD students will use CAMLS. I remember my tour guide mentioning that we would be the first class to do so, but like I said, could be wrong.

CACL is done for MD students. no more

Tests are every 2-3 weeks depending. they are all multiple choice.

Power outlets are everywhere.

Last year fin aid came out in April

CACL is done for MD students. no more

Tests are every 2-3 weeks depending. they are all multiple choice.

Power outlets are everywhere.

Last year fin aid came out in April
So are the other health students kind of pissed that they don't get to use the new patient care training facilities?

They bused us around. Took about 20 minutes or so? Really not too bad, considering they were trying to take a scenic route to show us Tampa.

From what I understand (which may be very wrong, so if someone wants to back me up, much appreciated), the CACL will be used by the other schools in USF health, while the MD students will use CAMLS. I remember my tour guide mentioning that we would be the first class to do so, but like I said, could be wrong.
Did they mention whether or not public transportation is easy between CAMLS and the med school?

Did they mention whether or not public transportation is easy between CAMLS and the med school?

Most students I spoke with said that it takes them about 20 minutes to get from the med school to CAMLS when you aren't dealing with too much traffic.

Most students I spoke with said that it takes them about 20 minutes to get from the med school to CAMLS when you aren't dealing with too much traffic.

Did they mention if there was a free bus/shuttle for students?

Did they mention if there was a free bus/shuttle for students?

They mentioned they might start one- they don't have one as of right now AFAIK.

I know during interview day, my student host and other students mentioned that having a car is a must because of the separation of facilities and public transportation isn't the best

I know during interview day, my student host and other students mentioned that having a car is a must because of the separation of facilities and public transportation isn't the best
Alright, carbon footprint LETS GOOOOOO!!!!

(jk, here's to hoping we all carpool like crazy)

Guess I needed to get a car anyway, now is as good a time as any lol

Does anyone have a list of the matriculation requirements and the dates they are due?

Did they mention anything about the SCP programs at second look? Which one is more popular among students?

Did they mention anything about the SCP programs at second look? Which one is more popular among students?

They mentioned that about 95% of the students are in them, but there are other options (mostly colloquiums) if you don't feel like you have the time for the 6 required meetings. I don't recall them saying anything about the popularity.

I called about financial aid a bit ago and they hadn't made any decision they could tell me about - lets hope they decide soon

Edit: if you need a ride to the lehigh second look and you're in the chicago area or on the way from chicago hit me up