2016-2017 University of South Dakota (Sanford) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what one of my interviewers told me was that our applications are looked at once during one of the first 2 meetings. Your application is rated 1-4 (4 being good) by each of the 25 members of the admissions board. if EVERYONE on the board gives you a 4, you get an acceptance letter. even if you get one 3 and 24 4's, you get pended. So really if you didn't get an acceptance right away it doesn't mean anything. I'm pended too and it suuuuucks, but I guess i'll wait for march to worry more.

it was 33 off the waitlist, for whoever asked :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
if EVERYONE on the board gives you a 4, you get an acceptance letter. even if you get one 3 and 24 4's, you get pended.

it was 33 off the waitlist, for whoever asked :)

That is the BEST news. I'm glad that I know this now. Thanks.

Has anyone heard any news from the big Feb. 25 meeting??

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know for sure if they are even planning on getting back to us this week? Or when the wait list comes out for that matter?

Anyone know if there is a facebook group for accepted students?

Has anyone heard anything yet?

well in case you guys didn't figure it out, check your snail mail! I got a wait list letter today that was dated the 27th of February.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!

That's is awesome! Where do you live? I'm going to school in Utah, so it might take a day or two longer for mail to get here than if you're in SD. ...... ehhhh im freakin out

Last edited:
That's is awesome! Where do you live? I'm going to school in Utah, so it might take a day or two longer for mail to get here than if you're in SD. ...... ehhhh im freakin out
I'm in Iowa so it probably came faster for me, keep an eye open. Good luck!

Accepted! I didn't get an email asking me to confirm my mailing address. Good luck to all of those still waiting to hear back!

Awwwwww man. I guess my mail gets here a little later than your guys' does. Sucks. It's gonna be killing me until Monday. I guess I could just call them on Monday morning. Is that a bad idea for any reason?

I just got my rejection letter in the mail. Congrats to everyone who got in!

Edit

Last edited:
Waitlisted as well. Went from the pending pool to the waiting pool! (Get it? It's a pun on "wading pool.")

Does anyone know how many people historically have gotten off of the actual waitlist? Like post-final meeting?

Does anyone know how many people historically have gotten off of the actual waitlist? Like post-final meeting?

I know that there was 33 people from the waitlist that were admitted last year.

I still haven't gotten my letter. I called admissions and they said that the letters were shipped out last Thursday.

What Jill told me was 10 people always get off the wait list, but the highest number they had get off was 33, which happened last year. No shame, I'm in the low 20's on the list and will totally let you guys know when/if I get an acceptance. And whoever out there is higher up on the list, I would totally appreciate if you'd do the same :)

What Jill told me was 10 people always get off the wait list, but the highest number they had get off was 33, which happened last year. No shame, I'm in the low 20's on the list and will totally let you guys know when/if I get an acceptance. And whoever out there is higher up on the list, I would totally appreciate if you'd do the same :)

Is there an out-of state waiting list as well as an in-state waiting list? I would assume so..

Is there an out-of state waiting list as well as an in-state waiting list? I would assume so..
Why do you think that? I was never told anything like that from admissions or in the letter they sent out, but it might be true. All it says is that applicants are ranked in a specific order and they just go down the list as spots become available.

Why do you think that? I was never told anything like that from admissions or in the letter they sent out, but it might be true. All it says is that applicants are ranked in a specific order and they just go down the list as spots become available.
I've been under the impression that a state school such as USD would need to accept a certain number of IS students (per their state's legislation) and then admit the rest as OOS... That's how they do it in my home state of Iowa, anyways. Are you IS or OOS for South Dakota?

I've been under the impression that a state school such as USD would need to accept a certain number of IS students (per their state's legislation) and then admit the rest as OOS... That's how they do it in my home state of Iowa, anyways. Are you IS or OOS for South Dakota?
IS. I feel like they would have mentioned it if they did it that way when I asked, but it seems hard to get info about USD unless you specifically ask them what you want to know.

I know it moves pretty quick after May 1st. That's when you have to commit to one school, so you'll likely see the first large move then. I would guess the other movement comes after financial aid packages come out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is anyone here very familiar with Vermillion? Where should I be looking for apartments? I want to live by school but I don't want to be in the middle of all the frat houses or something.

Is anyone here very familiar with Vermillion? Where should I be looking for apartments? I want to live by school but I don't want to be in the middle of all the frat houses or something.

Avoid Pine street and plum street and you'll avoid all the Greek houses!

16 on the wait list here...hoping it moves that far

Anyone heard of any movement on the wait list yet?

Haven't heard a thing. I was going to e-mail at the end of the month to see who on the list isn't going to gamble and has chosen to remove themselves from the list and go elsewhere. Then, of course, the first of May will be a big day. I'm really praying that this list moves like it did last year! By the way, does anyone know how long they made the list?

Update for those interested: a friend of mine who was accepted told me he knows the person who was 5 on the wait list was offered acceptance. Not sure on the timing of this, but I feel movement at this point seems like good news.

Reactions: 2 users
Another update: I was number 7 on the waitlist and just got the good news today! It seems like it's moving pretty well so everyone waiting just keep your fingers crossed, the news will come!

Reactions: 1 users
Another update: I was number 7 on the waitlist and just got the good news today! It seems like it's moving pretty well so everyone waiting just keep your fingers crossed, the news will come!
Congrats !!!

Update for those interested: a friend of mine who was accepted told me he knows the person who was 5 on the wait list was offered acceptance. Not sure on the timing of this, but I feel movement at this point seems like good news.
Awesome news !

Anyone know anything about movement timing? It seems early right? Would there be more movement later or is this it?

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about movement timing? It seems early right? Would there be more movement later or is this it?
The commit date for AMCAS isn't until May 1st, which is essentially when the MD schools let each other know what students they have offered acceptances to/might reject you if you still have other offers you haven't turned down. The last I heard from USD, it sounded like they didn't expect a whole lot of movement before then, but who knows.

The commit date for AMCAS isn't until May 1st, which is essentially when the MD schools let each other know what students they have offered acceptances to/might reject you if you still have other offers you haven't turned down. The last I heard from USD, it sounded like they didn't expect a whole lot of movement before then, but who knows.
awesome thx !

Thanks to everyone on this site sharing their status .... both good and bad !!!!