2016-2017 University of South Dakota (Sanford) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow this thread is completely dead....just as an update, the prompts for the secondary are the same as last year!

Members don't see this ad :)
An email outlying the class schedule and breaks, with dates .... for the incoming class of 2017 .... but haven't heard anything official from the school :(, and didn't think they met till December.

Good luck to everyone this week !!!!!!

Fingers crossed.....

Hey does anyone remember what day they said they will meet? I knew it was early December but I can't remember.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They meet on the 5th and should get those of you who interviewed an answer by the end of next week. Those of us who are scheduled for early January get to wait until march for an answer

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing yet .... I thought they met on Saturday, and the emails were suppose to come out on Monday?

Still nothing on my end... Funkstille.

I'm a little concerned that acceptance emails/letters would be prioritized, but I guess that's just conjecture.

I interviewed in October and got the "placed in pending pool" email today.

Anybody know how much they take people off of the pending pool...? This is probably my best shot school I applied too...

Anyone else hear anything today? I had the very last interview to be considered in this pool (December 2, they met the 3rd), and I'm just wondering if they are getting back to all of us in chronological order or all at one time? I know acceptances go out in snail mail, but did anyone get a "confirm your address" email yet?

'Confirm your address' emails went out on the 8th, and acceptance letters were sent out on the 9th. Application pending emails were also sent out on the 8th.

I'm interviewing here tomorrow. I hope I'm not too late, if they've already had that meeting. I submitted my application months ago and it took them quite a while to get back to me. I was interviewed for Sanford last year, but I didn't get in. Hopefully this interview will go better.

I'm interviewing here tomorrow. I hope I'm not too late, if they've already had that meeting. I submitted my application months ago and it took them quite a while to get back to me. I was interviewed for Sanford last year, but I didn't get in. Hopefully this interview will go better.
You have nothing to worry about. They will continue having meetings up until April. Also, the interview is suuuuuper relaxed. Just be you! Who are you interviewing with?

You have nothing to worry about. They will continue having meetings up until April. Also, the interview is suuuuuper relaxed. Just be you! Who are you interviewing with?
Any idea if the committee meets before March or are they doing a meeting in December and one in March like last year?

At my interview I was told they meet on January 28th and to expect an email soon after that date.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I emailed Jill in the admissions office today about what the timeline is like for sending acceptance letters. I have my interview on January 20, and she said that...
"Your application will be considered at the February 25th meeting which is our final meeting for the year. Letters will be mailed to everyone the week of February 27th."

In previous threads everyone says that their interview process is pretty paid back, and that there is not a whole lot to worry about. For anyone that has had an interview, what was it like? Was it really as relaxed as everyone made it out to seem?

I interviewed with a family practitioner and a pediatrician at Sanford in Sioux Falls. I think it went really well this time. It was really relaxed. At my last interview, I screwed up when I was describing my research and I think that lowered my credibility. This time they both said that I didn't have to explain my research, and that they were really impressed by it, so I assume my secondary application was written better.

They told me that they were having a meeting at the end of January, where they will determine who will get in the first round, and a meeting at the end of February for the second round. My interview letter said that final decisions would be mailed out by March 15th at the latest.

Last edited:
Ok. So I interviewed on Jan 19 and they told me that my application most likely was not going to be considered until the Feb meeting. But I got an email a few days ago saying that it would be considered for the end of January meeting that happened last Saturday, the 28th. They said that I would know about the decision for my application by Friday, Feb 3.

Does anyone know what day they are gonna send the emails out this week? its killing me.

Ok. So I interviewed on Jan 19 and they told me that my application most likely was not going to be considered until the Feb meeting. But I got an email a few days ago saying that it would be considered for the end of January meeting that happened last Saturday, the 28th. They said that I would know about the decision for my application by Friday, Feb 3.

Does anyone know what day they are gonna send the emails out this week? its killing me.

They send out snail mail for the decision I believe!

When they told me that they are gonna let everyone know by Friday Feb 3, they said that they will send an email out beforehand asking to confirm your mailing address.

I know those emails are going out by Friday of this week. But I don't know which day specifically. I was hoping someone else knew.

When they told me that they are gonna let everyone know by Friday Feb 3, they said that they will send an email out beforehand asking to confirm your mailing address.

I know those emails are going out by Friday of this week. But I don't know which day specifically. I was hoping someone else knew.

Sounds like it could be anytime this week, then. I would have guessed it would be yesterday but I am waiting for an email as well, so maybe not.

Sounds like it could be anytime this week, then. I would have guessed it would be yesterday but I am waiting for an email as well, so maybe not.

Ya, I hoped that the emails would have gone out yesterday too. I'm just getting all antsy waiting for them to come, and not knowing when that gonna be. It's driving me nuts.

Ya, I hoped that the emails would have gone out yesterday too. I'm just getting all antsy waiting for them to come, and not knowing when that gonna be. It's driving me nuts.
I think emails traditionally go out on thursdays, so you guys know. I'm waiting to hear this week too and it's unnerving. If we haven't heard before noonish today, I'm assuming tomorrow morning for sure. Good luck!

Does anyone know how many interviews they had this cycle? I know that they do interviews M-F and started interviewing in October and are ending this month. I didn't have anyone else at my interview day, so I was wondering if they only do one interview a day? Jill told me that last year 33 people on the waitlist got acceptances, meaning they sent out roughly 90-95 acceptance letters overall.

Does anyone know how many interviews they had this cycle? I know that they do interviews M-F and started interviewing in October and are ending this month. I didn't have anyone else at my interview day, so I was wondering if they only do one interview a day? Jill told me that last year 33 people on the waitlist got acceptances, meaning they sent out roughly 90-95 acceptance letters overall.

I want to say it's around 280-300 for a class of 76 so not bad chances!

I think emails traditionally go out on thursdays, so you guys know. I'm waiting to hear this week too and it's unnerving. If we haven't heard before noonish today, I'm assuming tomorrow morning for sure. Good luck!
Wellllllll nothing yet. So I'm hoping we don't have to wait until Friday.

I had no idea that that amount of people from the waitlist were accepted! That's nice to hear. But hopefully that's something we won't have to worry about.

*jeopardy music plays*

Was it 33 people that were put on the waitlist? Or 33 people that had their application in the "pended" status?

I just got the email for my application being in the pended pool :(

Was it 33 people that were put on the waitlist? Or 33 people that had their application in the "pended" status?

I just got the email for my application being in the pended pool :(

I was Pended too :(

I was Pended too :(

It's alright. We still have a chance to get it.

So as I understand it, this is how the admissions process goes: after secondary is submitted, you get invited for an interview. The admissions committee meets at the beginning of December, end of January, and then meets for the last time at the end of February. During these meetings, applicants are either accepted or put in the pending pool. Then in the last meeting at the end of February, the admissions committee reviews the applications of everyone that interviewed in February and all the people that are in the pending pool. At this meeting applicants are either accepted, rejected, or put on the waiting list.

Is everything I said correct? The "pended pool" is not the same thing as the waiting list, right?

Does anyone know what portion of the class is accepted in the initial admissions committee meetings vs the portion that is accepted from the pended pool? If I am in the pended pool, is there still hope? or do I not have much of chance?

I got put in the pended pool today too. I have heard of students getting into Sanford a week before school started, so I'll keep hoping.

Pended Pool as well. Either all of the acceptees are out celebrating, or the Pended Pool is large and the February meeting will be telling. Good luck everyone!

BYU Med: everything you said about the admissions process is correct as far as I know. Unfortunately I don't know the statistics either (and would love to know).

My question is if we'll get a decision within a week after the Feb 25th committee meeting, or will we have to wait until the end of March like the email insinuated? :/

Is there anyone out there who's interviewed for the Feb 25th meeting that knows when they'll get their decision? I.e. did they say to you you'd get an email within a week or if they'd find out by the end of March?

BYU Med: everything you said about the admissions process is correct as far as I know. Unfortunately I don't know the statistics either (and would love to know).

My question is if we'll get a decision within a week after the Feb 25th committee meeting, or will we have to wait until the end of March like the email insinuated? :/

Is there anyone out there who's interviewed for the Feb 25th meeting that knows when they'll get their decision? I.e. did they say to you you'd get an email within a week or if they'd find out by the end of March?

I'd love to know the same.

In the meantime, is anyone interested in renting out the aquatics center in Sioux Falls for an evening and renaming it "The Pending Pool"?

Last year they waited until the deadline to get the rejection letters out. My letter this year said they'd have a decision by March 15th, but the email they sent says March 31st, so I'm not sure.

I interviewed on Jan 19 and at first, the admissions committee said my app would be reviewed in the Feb meeting unless they got the reviews back from my interviewers before the January meeting. A week after I interviewed they sent me another email saying that my app would go in the January meeting. But when they thought I was gonna be in the Feb meeting, they told me that I would knoe the decision made about my application by March 3.

If you look at the 2012-2013 Sanford application thread, there is a guy that was put in the pended pool, and then later posted on March 3, 2013 that he was accepted.

I think that they say that "ALL applicants" will know about their applications by March 31 so they send out all the acceptance letters, and give those accepted people their 2 weeks to tell the admissions committee whether they want to go to USD or not. Then for all the accepted people that choose to go to a different med school, there is 1 more spot at Sanford. So they send out 1 more acceptance letter by March 31.

My guess is that if you are accepted from the pended pool at the Feb meeting, you will know by March 3. If you still aren't accepted at that meeting, you won't receive a rejection letter until the end of March. This is just my best guess as to what happens.

Hey everyone!

I'm just curious what the "pending pool" email entailed? Did they say they were sending a letter, or did they just say you were going to be discussed at the next meeting? I received an email that didn't really specify anything other than that I'd be receiving a letter with my "application status" this upcoming week. I'd really appreciate any insight you may have, thank you!

Hey everyone!

I'm just curious what the "pending pool" email entailed? Did they say they were sending a letter, or did they just say you were going to be discussed at the next meeting? I received an email that didn't really specify anything other than that I'd be receiving a letter with my "application status" this upcoming week. I'd really appreciate any insight you may have, thank you!
From what I understand that Means you're accepted!