2016-2017 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I never posted this but I was accepted back in November. LizzieM ~74, IS, reapplicant. Just thought sharing my stats might be helpful!

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted Monday! LizzieM 68-69, extremely strong ECs, instate.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody who interviewed on 10/26 still not gotten in? I'm not 100% sure on the timeline for students who got the hold card.

Last edited:
Has anybody who interviewed on 10/26 still not gotten in? I'm not 100% sure one the timeline for students who got the hold card.
I have friends who interviewed this past thursday and they said that South still hasn't lowered the score for those with hold cards.

II yesterday; does anyone know anything about how frequently South sends out invitations? Like, will they continue to send them out throughout the week?

Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday; does anyone know anything about how frequently South sends out invitations? Like, will they continue to send them out throughout the week?
I'm new to having an account on SDN and have only been a casual lurker over the years. Does "II" mean Interview Invite or Roman numerals for Secondary? If it's for the interview, do you mind letting us know when? South reviews applications the night following interview day and will send out acceptances/holds the following Monday, so if that's right then we can expect a round of acceptances to be sent out the Monday after you interview. I'm currently on hold.

Has anyone heard from South recently on when they plan on lowering the score? I've heard that in the past it was around late February to early March

Has anyone heard from South recently on when they plan on lowering the score? I've heard that in the past it was around late February to early March

I interviewed recently and it was mentioned at my interview that they just received materials that were necessary in order to lower the score. I was given the impression it would be lowered within the next few weeks.

I'm very new to SDN, but I received my acceptance letter 2/21. I interviewed 1/11 and received a hold card about two weeks later, so they must have recently lowered the score.

I'm very new to SDN, but I received my acceptance letter 2/21. I interviewed 1/11 and received a hold card about two weeks later, so they must have recently lowered the score.

They actually sent you an acceptance letter or was it through email?

Here's a link/file that shows guidelines and rules for the med schools' admission processes. It's dated 2014 (so there may be some updates). By March 15th, all AAMC schools are "recommended" to offered acceptances equaling the number of available spots in their program. I assume that this is when the schools would create their wait list. The other important date is April 30th. This is when applicants holding multiple acceptances are pressured by the schools to make a final decision. This should open up spots on the wait lists. Good luck everyone!

https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf

Hey Has anybody heard any news on when exactly the will be lowering the score? Or have they already done so?

Hey Has anybody heard any news on when exactly the will be lowering the score? Or have they already done so?
This is all speculation so take it for what it's worth. I believe they've lowered the score once considering user Rose95 received a hold card initially and then a month later received an acceptance. They should be lowering it again in the coming week bc like insertdoctorpun said, they should send out enough acceptances to fill the 74 seats by the 3/15 and I don't think they've reached that mark yet. Mr. Scott at my interview said that they generally send out 130-ish acceptances a year to account for student's choosing other schools so the most of us are still in the waiting game.

South is on its spring break this week. I don't how they can meet their March 15th deadline, unless they sent out the acceptances before the break. Has anyone heard anything?

South is on its spring break this week. I don't how they can meet their March 15th deadline, unless they sent out the acceptances before the break. Has anyone heard anything?
Although the undergraduate side might be on spring break, the medical school isn't considering that match day is at the end of this week. This leaves some slim hope that there might be another batch of acceptances, but at the same time, they might be too busy with match day stuff.

Any word? I'm guessing that they probably filled their class since UAB recently filled theirs as well.

Any word? I'm guessing that they probably filled their class since UAB recently filled theirs as well.
Nada. Oh well. There's no sense in stressing about it now, we've applied and what's done is done, and we are at the mercy of the almighty adcom. It's time to focus on buffing up that res for June 2 submissions. Not in the spirit of giving up, just being prepared.

Nada. Oh well. There's no sense in stressing about it now, we've applied and what's done is done, and we are at the mercy of the almighty adcom. It's time to focus on buffing up that res for June 2 submissions. Not in the spirit of giving up, just being prepared.
Ugh I don't wana go thru this process again haha

That was probably off the waitlist though right? I wonder when south will put out their list. At the interview it sounded like they take alot of waitlisters
I believe they release the waitlist on April 15th. That's what their website says.

That was probably off the waitlist though right? I wonder when south will put out their list. At the interview it sounded like they take alot of waitlisters
MSAR said they put approximately 40 applicants on the waitlist and 30 of those waitlisters get acceptance offers.

I emailed Ms. Terrel with an update on my app and then asked if there will be anything between now and the April 15th alternate list announcement. She said there won't be any till then but they hope to have the list out earlier than April 15. So that's that peeps. About two more weeks of fear of the unknown and then for those on the alternate list, more waiting. Best wishes to all.

I emailed Ms. Terrel with an update on my app and then asked if there will be anything between now and the April 15th alternate list announcement. She said there won't be any till then but they hope to have the list out earlier than April 15. So that's that peeps. About two more weeks of fear of the unknown and then for those on the alternate list, more waiting. Best wishes to all.
At least that means I don't have to be curious if there's an acceptance letter in the mail

Thanks for the info. Do you know if they're sending us updates on the list via email or snail mail?

I was accepted a few months ago but I'll be withdrawing my acceptance because I'm going somewhere else, so one of y'all will get my seat! On April 30, anyone holding multiple acceptances has to narrow it down to 1, so you'll probably hear back shortly after that date after people withdraw if they're going somewhere else!!

Reactions: 2 users
mark scott is speaking at Alabama's AED meeting today

Just got an email about being placed on alternate's list

Alt list. That was fast. I just posted yesterday about alternate list coming soon.

Congrats! Were you put on the alternate list yesterday or you just got it after a hold card?
So I interviewed in October, got the hold card soon thereafter, and then did not hear anything when the alternate list/rejections went out yesterday.

Reactions: 3 users
Will they send acceptances to those on the alternate list through mail or email?

Got an acceptance in the mail today post hold card

Reactions: 3 users
Help me (get accepted) USA, you're my only hope.

UAB's waitlist should move before April 30th, as there has already been movement since the waitlist was created. In theory, this should cause movement for south

UAB's waitlist should move before April 30th, as there has already been movement since the waitlist was created. In theory, this should cause movement for south
I wish. That logic makes sense but Peggy said not to expect anything until after all those who have multiple acceptances gives their spot up. I guess they just want to send one big batch instead of just sending acceptances one by one as people drop.