2016-2017 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a secondary yet? I saw on last year's thread that their secondaries are paper rather than electronic, is this still the case?

Just received secondary this morning via email. You have to print it off and mail it in with a check however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received it this morning as well. Love the paper secondary, you do you South!

This might be a really dumb question... but because it is paper instead of electronic, and the pdf does not allow you to type in the spaces, is it fine to hand-write your responses? I don't see any other way, it just seems a bit unprofessional..

This might be a really dumb question... but because it is paper instead of electronic, and the pdf does not allow you to type in the spaces, is it fine to hand-write your responses? I don't see any other way, it just seems a bit unprofessional..

I haven't tried it yet, but I think you can open it in Adobe and edit it there

I haven't tried it yet, but I think you can open it in Adobe and edit it there
Thanks, but I already tried adobe and it didn't work for me. So i just called the admissions office and was told since the app. is so brief, they are expecting nothing more than handwritten responses.

Secondary received today (7/20), I was verified 7/19. IS applicant and would love to spend 4 years in Mobile. Having 1 optional 500 word essay is very refreshing after writing 2 to 4 essays for most other secondaries! Good luck everyone!

I mailed the secondary a little over a week ago - they haven't cashed the check yet. Since I responded soon after receiving the secondary, I assume there is a backlog. Has anyone had their check cashed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mailed the secondary a little over a week ago - they haven't cashed the check yet. Since I responded soon after receiving the secondary, I assume there is a backlog. Has anyone had their check cashed?

FYI - the check cleared on Saturday morning almost exactly two weeks.

hi! is anyone here doing early decision? I was just wondering if anyone had gotten their interview invite yet.

is it worth applying here as a florida resident with no ties over 70% mcat

II! 67.2 LizzyM, In state. Interview scheduled for 9/28. Does anyone know the percentage of those who were interviewed last year that got accepted?

II! 67.2 LizzyM, In state. Interview scheduled for 9/28. Does anyone know the percentage of those who were interviewed last year that got accepted?

On the secondary application it said that 250 candidates are invited to interviews. And I believe their class size is 74.

Has anyone else received an II? Will invitations be sent by mail?

Any more II for regular decision?

Sent from my SM-N900V using SDN mobile

I submitted my secondary about a week into September. I have recieved IIs from UAB and Baylor already but not South Alabama. I have a LizzyM in the low 80s. Anyone else in a similar situation? Is South just slower or did I say something wrong in my secondary?

Last edited:
As soon as my amcas was verified, I got sent the secondary from USA. I live in Mobile and was able to turn it in, in person. I got a call within a few days to schedule an interview for the next week. However, my lovely pre-health committee was taking their time submitting the letter and I got another call a few minutes later rescinding the interview invite. They said they would definitely call me in for an interview after the letter came in. It's since been submitted, but I haven't gotten that call or email or letter or however they're supposed to do it. It was pretty off-putting that they failed to check requirements like that before calling me. I hope their first impression isn't a lasting one.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone who already interviewed remember what all D. Mark Scott said about the acceptance process? I remember there was a specific benchmark score that the committee would choose then that score would get lowered every so often. Does anyone know how often that score was going to be lowered and the number of acceptances they planned on sending out with every wave? Just trying to figure out how long this whole waiting process might last :help:

Recieved an acceptance letter this evening!

Reactions: 2 users
Received an acceptance letter today! Interviewed on 9/28 with a LM of ~71.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing tomorrow and not too familiar with Mobile. Are there any places that I should visit tonight to pass time? Also, any food recommendations?
Thanks!

Interviewing tomorrow and not too familiar with Mobile. Are there any places that I should visit tonight to pass time? Also, any food recommendations?
Thanks!

Make sure to leave early for the interview! I passed through a school zone on the way there, which took some time.

Any II's lately or do y'all think they're putting things on pause till after the holidays?

Does anyone from the 12/7 interview remember what Mark said about the acceptance/hold letter timeline?

12/7 interview
Acceptance letter received today. Good luck to everyone and Merry Christmas!