2016-2017 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like we will be waiting until tomorrow! Hope everyone who is still waiting finds a way to make the time pass quickly :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, BA/MD is very much part of that 103. In fact, the class size was 75 before the first group of BA/MD students started med school a few years back. Historically, few offers have been made on a rolling basis. Many of us first-years found out in February or March. Those I know of who did get rolling offers are among the cream of the crop.
I feel like everyone I've talked to in our class got in early. I got in early, and I can think of a ton of people who say they got in early...I'm not sure if that's part of the "gunner" culture of our class, where no one fesses to missing more than 3 on a quiz or if they just took a bunch of people rolling last year. either way doesn't sound like it is that way this year.

I feel like everyone I've talked to in our class got in early. I got in early, and I can think of a ton of people who say they got in early...I'm not sure if that's part of the "gunner" culture of our class, where no one fesses to missing more than 3 on a quiz or if they just took a bunch of people rolling last year. either way doesn't sound like it is that way this year.
Hmm that is interesting. Couple that with the fact this year's thread is barely on page 3, while last year's was easily on page 7 around March 15th, and the Facebook group for this year is only at 37 people so far (some of which are people in the 2020 class, and many of which are BA/MD), and it's odd. This year's class seems to stay off the internet! Haha. Maybe many more people than we know have been accepted early and just haven't posted or joined the Facebook group? Or your class is exaggerating when they got in. Either way, thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what number they got to on the wait-list last year?

Hmm that is interesting. Couple that with the fact this year's thread is barely on page 3, while last year's was easily on page 7 around March 15th, and the Facebook group for this year is only at 37 people so far (some of which are people in the 2020 class, and many of which are BA/MD), and it's odd. This year's class seems to stay off the internet! Haha. Maybe many more people than we know have been accepted early and just haven't posted or joined the Facebook group? Or your class is exaggerating when they got in. Either way, thanks for the info!
I certainly can't speak to why your cohort claim to have all gotten in early but looking at last year's thread...several people reported getting accepted on March 14th adding that to the roughly 25-ish people that got in off the wait-list and at least a third of the 103 person class was not rolling accepted.
Keeping hope alive!

Reactions: 2 users
I certainly can't speak to why your cohort claim to have all gotten in early but looking at last year's thread...several people reported getting accepted on March 14th adding that to the roughly 25-ish people that got in off the wait-list and at least a third of the 103 person class was not rolling accepted.
Keeping hope alive!
Plus if u subtract the BA/MD, deferred acceptance and what not, out of the 103 then that means a bigger percentage got accepted on the march deadline instead of rolling.

Does anyone know what number they got to on the wait-list last year?
I'm not positive but if I remember correctly I'm pretty sure last year it was up to #26. Usually it's between 20-26. I don't think it has been below 19 in a long time.

I got accepted!!!!! :-D

Rejected. Congrats to all who were accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick q though - anyone else getting an error message using the link provided in the email?

I just received my rejection email but it also says I was selected for PrEP. Does anyone know if you still need to apply for the program?

I just received my rejection email but it also says I was selected for PrEP. Does anyone know if you still need to apply for the program?
That is awesome!! I really wish I was accepted into that. From all I've heard in the past I do not think you need to apply separately to it. I think they will follow up with you if they didn't already provide much info to you. But you can always email admissions and ask.

Quick q though - anyone else getting an error message using the link provided in the email?
I got an error message too. Just go to the original portal that you used for secondaries, and you should be good. :-D

I'm waitlisted... hoping that the letter stating my official number on the list comes soon!!

My waitlist number is 22. Really wish I was more on the outsides and not still in limbo ugh.

Anyone going to second look day??

Hey guys, MS 2 transitioning into 3 here. For those of you at second look day I showed up late, but was there lol. I had heard rumor that there are a couple of you with multiple offers. I was an out of state applicant that got in and had a few offers if anyone wants to PM me with questions. I'd be more than happy to give you my email since I'm never on here (honestly lurking around the STEP forums ATM lol).

Congrats to everyone that was accepted and welcome to the new world that is being a medical student!

Is anyone else a PrEP alternate?
I am a PrEP alternate here's some more info about it. I copied and pasted this from an email I received sorry it's all chopped up, but hopefully it's helpful.
If you have sent in your acceptance, you are part of PrEP. However, you do need to apply to UNM as a non-degree graduate student in order to be able to be enrolled in the PrEP classes.

What would the curriculum entail and would I be classified as full time or part time (for financial aid purposes)?

-see attached; you are part time, and you will need to talk to the SOM Financial Aid folks to get full information on what kind of aid you can receive.
Biochemistry 445 and 446: PrEP students are integrated into the Intensive Biochemistry courses that are offered to the UNM undergraduate Biochemistry majors. These courses are designed around 30 years of research into student-centered, self-directed learning, and employ active learning techniques and frequent formative and summative assessment.

Reflective Writing Experience: This portion of the curriculum is designed to help students develop effective communication and writing skills, while promoting self-reflection and metacognition. It consists of assigned readings and both personal and shared individual writing assignments.

Academic Coaching and Wellness Strategies: This component of PrEP addresses critical skills that facilitate success as professional learners such as time management, effective study habits, test-taking skills, financial, physical, and stress management. Students are evaluated for academic strengths and weaknesses.

Seminar in Biomedical Science: Primary and review scientific articles, videotaped Grand Rounds, or SOM Cell and Molecular Basis of Disease (CMBD) seminars, or other professional or case presentations focusing on the basic sciences, will be used as prompts for PrEP students to develop self-directed learning skills. They will be asked to identify what they don’t know from the resources, and to research and then present their learning issues to each other and the facilitator. There will also be opportunities to integrate some clinical reasoning practice with guest clinical faculty.

Society and Medicine: Social and cultural aspects of healthcare, examined through journal articles, video, class discussions, research paper. This component of PrEP examines practical healthcare delivery from the perspective of patients, families, and communities. Spring semester includes an 8-week clinical service learning shadowing experience in an Albuquerque area clinic.

How much does the program cost?

-the courses do not count towards a medical degree or any other degree program.

-The cost is tuition for 6 graduate credits/semester. The program is actually much more than 6 credits, but we are trying to keep your cost as low as possible, while including 6 credits because that number of credits allows you to get financial aid. You will need to talk to the SOM Financial Aid folks--they know exactly what you need to do.
Because you are not yet a medical student when you are in PrEP, you cannot get the bigger loans, and so most of our PrEP students have at least part time jobs during the year in order to live.
Classes start Tuesday August 22, and your PrEP schedule for the fall semester is Tuesdays/Thursdays (all day), so you can plan to work on the other days.

The Spring semester PrEP courses are on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, all day.

• Students in Non-Degree are typically not eligible to receive financial aid. An exception may be made for Non-Degree students enrolled in courses necessary for admittance into a degree program, or for teacher certification.

I wasn't at second look day, but if any of you applicants with multiple offers want to hear from a graduating 4th year about anything, feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those who got rejected and are thinking about retaking the MCAT, does anyone want a study buddy? I am looking for some structure in my study routine but do not want to pay a ton of money for a private prep program. I'm in Albuquerque, would like to retake in June and available in the evenings. Please PM me!!

How much movement is usually on the wait-list?

The most they've taken is 26 and the least I think is 20.

I read that PrEP will no longer be available starting next year. I wonder if that means there will be that many more (about 6) spots available for applicants from now on.

I read that PrEP will no longer be available starting next year. I wonder if that means there will be that many more (about 6) spots available for applicants from now on.
Update: Admissions said there will now be those 5-7 spots available for the regular MD applicant pool