2016-2017 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing on Monday, reapplicant. UNM is the only school I applied to this cycle and the only one I plan to apply to in the future, if I have to reapply again. Determination and patience are key. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, for people who are not aware: UNM has pretty good waitlist movement. Even though there are only 45 spots remaining, there are actually more in the end because around 19-26 people get taken from the waitlist each year. So more like 64-71 spots remaining.

Thanks for the info--it's very encouraging.

Good luck on your interview!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing on Monday, reapplicant. UNM is the only school I applied to this cycle and the only one I plan to apply to in the future, if I have to reapply again. Determination and patience are key. :)

Best of luck with your interview!!

Does anyone know how many in-state applicants received interviews this year? Last cycle there were 278, which was a record number. Sometimes they mention this on interview days. Just curious if it's around the same.

I was told during my interview that over 300 applicants were interviewed this year (as of 12/14/2016). I guess this cycle beat last year's record already.

Wow! I can definitely see why at last year's post application workshop we were told that most of us would be applying 4-5 times (if reapplying to UNM), especially due to the increase in number of in-state applicants. Not long ago there weren't many more than 200 in-state applicants.

Dr. Sapien told us that about 40% of the acceptances are given to reapplicants each year. More people get rejected than accepted each year, so it makes sense that if you're reapplying it seems to get more competitive because the pool of in-state reapplicants increase every year but the number of reapplicants that gets accepted each year stays about the same. But obviously, majority (60%) gets an acceptance at their first try. (I bet this number includes the BA/MD though)

Last edited:
For what its worth, I know they sent out some rolling acceptances last week.

Just wanted to share that yesterday we were told there are around 30 spots remaining (not including future waitlist openings).

I thought the wait was brutal the first time I applied, but now it seems even worse :p Trying to stay hopeful but realistic too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry! The "good" thing is it's very standard so you should try hard not to take it personally. Is this your guys' first time applying? Getting rejected is awful (I definitely know the feeling from last year) but I think we will all get there in time. It's a matter of improvement, however possible, and persistence.

Sounds like their rolling decisions are only just now coming for those who interviewed in Dec. Have any Dec or Jan interviewees gotten a rolling acceptance yet?
I interviewed in early January and haven't heard anything yet!

Sounds like their rolling decisions are only just now coming for those who interviewed in Dec. Have any Dec or Jan interviewees gotten a rolling acceptance yet?
I interviewed in October and I haven't heard anything

Interviewed 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I heard as of last week there are now around 20 spots remaining (not including waitlist movement).

I interviewed in early January and have not heard anything yet. However, I have heard of someone that was accepted after interviewing in mid-December.

I interviewed in early Dec. and haven't heard anything yet....

I would be happy if I even just made the waitlist. That alone is encouraging. Esp after hearing of some people (who are not necessarily poor applicants) applying 5+ times.

About 2 more weeks to go...can't come soon enough...but I'm still taking no news as good news for now :)

Got rejected again today :( Hopefully it will work out for me in the future. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

I am so so sorry to hear that sagators. I am a first time re-applicant here and I know how it feels to be rejected because of my experience last year. Do not let it deter you from pursuing medicine - keep your head up and keep trying!

Thank you, that really means a lot. It's a brutal process but I guess it doesn't hurt as much as it did the first time around. Hopefully one of these years. :) I hope it won't take 6 times but I guess if that's what it takes....

I am so so sorry to hear that sagators. I am a first time re-applicant here and I know how it feels to be rejected because of my experience last year. Do not let it deter you from pursuing medicine - keep your head up and keep trying!
I second that! Applying to medical school is definitely not for the faint of heart. It takes patience and requires an uncanny ability to bounce back after taking punches. Good luck!

Has anyone that interviewed in January received an acceptance?

Reactions: 2 users
Does everyone think UNM will take until 3/15 this year to send out final decisions?

Does everyone think UNM will take until 3/15 this year to send out final decisions?
Still hoping that Jan and Feb interviewees still have a chance at a rolling acceptance before the 15th. For the rest of us, I'm betting it won't come before the 15th.

Pretty much 8 more days guys! The stress is getting real. Do you guys think there is still a high chance of getting rejected if you made it this far?

Does anyone know the official number of interviews conducted this year?
Not sure of the exact number, I was wondering the same. On my interview day Dr. Sapien said approx 250, but one of my interviewers said well over 300.

Oh really? Did you contact admissions to find out for sure? That is encouraging for me for the future, hopefully it won't increase much from there. I'm glad it's not high over 300. I'm praying for everyone who hasn't heard back yet :)

Also, that's even less than last year at 278 as I recall it was

Reactions: 1 users
Oh really? Did you contact admissions to find out for sure? That is encouraging for me for the future, hopefully it won't increase much from there. I'm glad it's not high over 300. I'm praying for everyone who hasn't heard back yet :)

Also, that's even less than last year at 278 as I recall it was
Yes, I'm excited that it is 12 fewer also!

Reactions: 1 users
Decisions are sent out within the next 3 days! Does anyone know the total amount of seats available to new students this year (minus BA/MD, prep, deferred, etc.)?

We are in the home stretch everybody! Anyone think we hear something before the 15th? Looking at last year's thread, they received the "pre"-email on the 10th (a Thursday), and the actual decision email on the 14th (a Monday). I am glad we won't have to wait that long between the emails!

We are in the home stretch everybody! Anyone think we hear something before the 15th? Looking at last year's thread, they received the "pre"-email on the 10th (a Thursday), and the actual decision email on the 14th (a Monday). I am glad we won't have to wait that long between the emails!
What is the "pre"-email? For what it's worth, I was wait-listed last year and received that notification on the 15th.

What is the "pre"-email? For what it's worth, I was wait-listed last year and received that notification on the 15th.
Ah okay, thanks for the info! It's an email that lets you know that the real email, with the decision, is coming soon.

Ah okay, thanks for the info! It's an email that lets you know that the real email, with the decision, is coming soon.
Good to know. Have you received the pre-email yet?

I just got the pre-email... The wait begins!

Reactions: 3 users