2016-2017 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
So is it really just a matter of time before the top-thirders get an acceptance?

Anyone looking for a place to live next year? :) I'm a current M1 and have a roommate spot available in Katy Place apartments (1700 Forum Blvd, just south of Stadium) for the coming school year. Apartment in top floor, 2-bed/2-bath, vaulted ceiling unit in complex along hiking/biking trail, close to hospital and campus, right next to shopping and amenities. Bed/bath are private, and environment is lovely and quiet for studying. Rent is ~$395 and includes washer/dryer. Carport rental also available. Prefer female med student or grad student, no pets. Move-in is flexible, anytime between June 1-Aug 1. PM me to set up an open house if interested.

Last edited:
So is it really just a matter of time before the top-thirders get an acceptance?

Based on years past, yes it's just a matter of time.

Also,
I've read on sdn and saw info from US news and world report that mizzou has gone into the bottom third of their waitlist the past several years (5+).

Has anyone else heard of this happening? Just trying to figure out the accuracy of what I've read, and the likelihood of the middle third getting in.

Reactions: 1 users
Who told you that they got to 84 out of 104 on the waitlist last year?

MSAR says 60 off of the Waitlist. I heard it at my interview in December's it is not a published value and I believe it was one of the admissions staff. I don't know what to believe

Reactions: 1 user
MSAR says 60 off of the Waitlist. I heard it at my interview in December's it is not a published value and I believe it was one of the admissions staff. I don't know what to believe

It varies from year to year depending on how many of the initially accepted students surrender their spots to attend a different school.

Admission office reported that 14 people have been accepted off the waitlist as of this morning!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
16 taken off waitlist so far; 55 students who have been accepted to Mizzou have been offered multiple acceptances (good news considering movement day hasn't yet occurred)

Last edited:
I talked to them on Friday and they didn't think it would be out until at least today due to a university-wide glitch with financial aid.

Another friendly poster told me to go to MyZou and check your financial aid there. I was able to log in and see my financial aid which was not much at all :(

Another friendly poster told me to go to MyZou and check your financial aid there. I was able to log in and see my financial aid which was not much at all :(
Interesting. Mine still isn't there so I wonder if they are beginning to trickle in?

Welp, I let me eagerness get the best of me.

I emailed Cheri and she said they aren't done with all of the financial aid info yet. So I guess the info is getting updated slowly. That might explain why I appeared to have such a piddly amount of scholarship.

Welp, I let me eagerness get the best of me.

I emailed Cheri and she said they aren't done with all of the financial aid info yet. So I guess the info is getting updated slowly. That might explain why I appeared to have such a piddly amount of scholarship.
Did she have any idea when they expect to be done?

No. Just said they were in the "middle" of processing everything and to wait for an email from her. They were supposed to start sending out the info this week, so I'd give it another day or 2.

Do yall know where our financial aid is? I don't see anything or know how to access it in myZou?

I don't know where the "Student Center "finances" tab is...

Or if its the actual financial aid package... i dont see nothing...

Last edited:
Do yall know where our financial aid is? I don't see anything or know how to access it in myZou?

I don't know where the "Student Center "finances" tab is...

Or if its the actual financial aid package... i dont see nothing...

When you log into MyZou, click on "Student Center", then in the middle of the new page under "Finances", click "View Financial Aid" and click on the 2017-2018 school year.

When you log into MyZou, click on "Student Center", then in the middle of the new page under "Finances", click "View Financial Aid" and click on the 2017-2018 school year.
Thank you so much....only see loans however...

The email Cheri sent says that most people only get loans, and that more scholarships will be available later in the summer. I'm guessing they're waiting on the class to settle and/or more money to become available before they offer more scholarships?

I got scholarship for having a family, but other than that all loans. The loans also were not adjusted to account for my family (which I thought they would do). I'm going to email her and see if it's possible to increase the loan amount, or if from this point forward I have to look into private loans.

Cheri replied that everyone gets defaulted into the single student loan package. If you have children you have to request (annually) an increase to accommodate them. I'm not sure if a spouse will qualify you for an adjustment or not.

Hope this helps.

Cheri replied that everyone gets defaulted into the single student loan package. If you have children you have to request (annually) an increase to accommodate them. I'm not sure if a spouse will qualify you for an adjustment or not.

Hope this helps.
I also called Cheri and she said that around 35% received scholarships so far but people have already dropped that. She said the medical school wants to get more people covered on some scholarships however and that she is going to be crunching numbers for the next couple weeks to give the people who haven't received scholarships some. She also wants to do it before the day we have to actually confirm because she doesn't want people to retract because of no scholarships yet

Was just accepted off the WL! How soon after the call did other accepted students receive an email?

I released my spot yesterday. Hope one of you get it. I was on the top 1/3

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck everyone.

Received a 2500 scholarship found out as an update today

apparently will not be receiving anymore.... :/ but grateful to receive anything

Last edited:
FYI ya'll - accepted off the alternate list this past Friday, had been on the top 1/3. Waiting to hear financial specifics to make a decision (they gave me one week). Hope good news is coming to others soon too!

Any new-accepts looking for a place to live next year? :) I'm a current M1 and have a roommate spot available in Katy Place apartments (1700 Forum Blvd, just south of Stadium) for the coming school year. Apartment in top floor, 2-bed/2-bath, vaulted ceiling unit in complex along hiking/biking trail, close to hospital and campus, right next to shopping and amenities. Bed/bath are private, and environment is lovely and quiet for studying. Rent is ~$395 and includes washer/dryer. Carport rental also available. Prefer female med student or grad student, no pets. Move-in is flexible, anytime between June 1-Aug 1. PM me to set up an open house if interested.

I called admissions yesterday and there have been 51 people taken off of the waitlist so far, so they are into the middle third

Hey guys I need some help. So right now it is between Mizzou and another medical school for me. If cost wise these two schools are essentially the same what are some of the factors to look into to help decide. ALthough in my mind i see why mizzou is good can someone please let me know of all the benefits it has to offer?

Hey guys I need some help. So right now it is between Mizzou and another medical school for me. If cost wise these two schools are essentially the same what are some of the factors to look into to help decide. ALthough in my mind i see why mizzou is good can someone please let me know of all the benefits it has to offer?

Obviously I'm not an expert but I'd consider differences between cities and the exposure youd get there, residency programs that graduates enter, curriculum, research, and ties to the location. I would check MSAR regarding most of this. Hope you make the best decision for you! Someone will appreciate your open spot, whichever place you decide against (I definitely would!).

The PBL curriculum is really nice. Lots of schools are migrating towards it now but MU was one of the first(20+ years) so they have it well tuned. If you like Mayo for residency prospects, they apparently really like MU grads (heard anecdotally from a 4th year who got a gas residency there). WashU apparently likes us for IM. Often 1st year MU grads get pushed out onto overnight faster because of our experience.

MU also offers an integrated residency program. Basically you apply to MU res. spots 3rd year and if accepted you also get a $20,000 stipend to help with 4th year tuition and start hanging out with your new crew 4th year. Family Medicine residency is one of the highest ranked in the nation if that's your thing.

Columbia is also a very nice town. It's got a "Goldilocks" quality to it that I like; not to big, not to small. The public schools are good too if kids are in your future. Lot of cultural events, though more local/regional but a few bigger national ones (T/For film fest, Citizen Jane film fest, Roots n Blues n BBQ).

Cost of living is pretty good (though childcare is a pain at times). MU offers a lot in the way undergrad experiences, so if you dig the sports scene/concerts/etc you can get that. STL and KC not far either for more options.

Last edited:
Can anyone speak about the step 1 scores. I see that it is an average of 239 or 241 but is that due to the school's curriculum or the students? Because I feel like medical training is kind of the same everywhere but the PBL training really elevates the schools score for students...am I on the right track?

I (personally) think scores are more due to the students wherever you are, but obviously the curriculum plays a part. From my understanding the PBL discussions and tests all have their questions framed like they are on Step 1, thus you get a lot of experience thinking and answering those types of questions.

I remember studying for the MCAT... Taking the practice tests was the best thing I did because it got my brain ready for how the test asked questions. I can see it being the same here.

Additionally, the exams here are apparently really long and very similar in style to Step 1. Friend of mine says by the time boards came around he was pretty comfortable (as much as he could be) with the style and length of the test.

During interview this year, an M1 said average step 1 last year was 232. In years past it has been up near 240 though.

Additionally, the exams here are apparently really long and very similar in style to Step 1. Friend of mine says by the time boards came around he was pretty comfortable (as much as he could be) with the style and length of the test.

During interview this year, an M1 said average step 1 last year was 232. In years past it has been up near 240 though.

US News and World Report shows the following for last year’s Step scores:

US News: Login page

- You will need a login to use this content premium.

United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE)
Step 1: Number of students examined 97
Step 1: Average score 239
Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge): Number of students examined 100
Step 2 (Clinical Knowledge): Average score 248

I would say these are very high scores