2016-2017 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Found out this evening!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else going to the financial aid thing on the 7th ? I'm not sure what we are supposed to wear

Is anyone else going to the financial aid thing on the 7th ? I'm not sure what we are supposed to wear
The reception for incoming students? The last few years have been business casual. Hope to see some of you there!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! I got an II mid September but the earliest dates available were late January soooo my interview isn't until January 28th. After reading this thread, I became extremely concerned that I'll basically be interviewing for a "waitlist spot". Does the class really fill up that fast or do I have still have a chance of being accepted here? I would be so grateful for any sort of clarification on this. Thanks!

Hey, I got a II in early October and the only dates available were in February, but I stalked the interview calendar hourly everyday and got a date in December. I would advise you to do the same, you may come out with a date in early January.

Can I ask you a random question that I forgot to ask on interview day? I was wondering if UKCOM records lectures and makes them available online for students

Yes they do! You also have the ability to speed them up (and slow them down, but I've never needed to do that). Some lectures that include patient information are not recorded, but other than that every lecture is recorded.

Yes they do! You also have the ability to speed them up (and slow them down, but I've never needed to do that). Some lectures that include patient information are not recorded, but other than that every lecture is recorded.

What is the typical daily class schedule like? Do students always have to attend morning lecture?

Last edited:
What is the typical daily class schedule like? Do students always have to attend morning lecture?
For first and second years, lectures are 8am-noon most days with ten minute breaks between each hour. Lectures are not mandatory, with rare exceptions. I'd say a third of my class attended every day.

Once a week during first year we had Intro to Clinical Medicine for two hours, and that was mandatory. The time commitment for that class went up a bit for second year. I don't know if they changed that at all in the updated curriculum.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when they will review the waitlist? I heard they are gonna do that once in December/January. Not sure if this is true. Otherwise, I guess I will have to wait until April.

For those of you who emailed your reply sheet in to accept the offer, did the admissions send you an email confirmation?

Interviewed 1/28. The lady on the admission's board who was giving us the introduction of the school told us that they actually still had positions available in the class at this time, which is different from last cycle. Obviously, I don't know exactly how many are still available but this gave me some hope and should be good news to others as well. She also told us that the committee meets Thursdays to assign accepted/denied/WL status and that their interview cycle ends in March. After that, they will cut off people on the tail-end of the WL (by mid April, if you haven't gotten a rejection that means you are still on the WL) and continue to pull off people on the WL as spots become available.

Interview was super relaxed and very conversational. It was probably my favorite interview of the cycle because all the staff and students really seemed to love the school. Finger

Good to hear - . Anyone have recommendations on affordable hotels near the school/hospital? Guessing they don't have student hosting for interviews.

Last edited:
Good to hear @dnlsmy . Anyone have recommendations on affordable hotels near the school/hospital? Guessing they don't have student hosting for interviews.
Go AirBnB! I got a place a 5-10 minute walk from the med school for ~$20 per night. Bonus, the host was a 3rd year and coached me through the interview the night before.

I just got the call ACCEPTED!!!!
OOS LM 73.
Interviewed 1/24
Loved this school when I went to interview.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone hear anything about scholarships yet?

I was awarded 10k last week.

I am unsure if it is need based, merit, or an enhancement award.

I was accepted middle January.

So apparently I was offered an interview back on 12/23 but I never received any of the 3 emails they sent -- I checked every folder and it was definitely not there. I had also received correspondence from the admissions department after submitting my primary in the summer, so I had no reason to suspect there would be issues. I received a phone call on 2/1 asking if I was still interested and what was going on explaining that they had offered an interview before the holidays. I scheduled an interview for March 7th. Point being call and check, it probably severely hindered my chances at UK this cycle. Needless to say pretty let down by the whole situation.

Unfortunately I think so. I went back to the enhancement scholarship app email they sent out, and it said ALL scholarships would be announced by Feb 15th.

Hello, everyone. I'm a current M1 at UK who completely forgot this site existed (med school can do that) until someone mentioned it earlier this week. I've made a new account and would love to answer any questions anyone may have. Congratulations to everyone that has heard back, and good luck to everyone still waiting.

If we haven't heard anything by now, is it safe to assume we won't be receiving any?

I know this is a late response, but I saw your question hadn't really been answered. It probably means that you didn't receive one, but that doesn't mean that you won't. They reallocate scholarships if people that were awarded them decide not to attend UK. I got a call in the middle of May to let me know I had been awarded a scholarship after someone else passed on it. If you accept your place in the class, you may be awarded a scholarship after someone else passes on it.

I have a question for the current med students...is it worth it to make a Facebook to join the class' group? I really hate Facebook and don't have one, but don't wanna miss out if the group is actually helpful.

I have a question for the current med students...is it worth it to make a Facebook to join the class' group? I really hate Facebook and don't have one, but don't wanna miss out if the group is actually helpful.
I'm not on fb and I haven't had any problems. Nothing official is posted there. The COM communicates things you need to know by email.

If I want to withdraw my acceptance should I just do so by emailing the admissions office? The secondary portal is closed...

Just received an email stating I was granted a spot on the Alternate List. Does anyone know how fast the turnaround on this list typically is? I'm an OOS with strong ties to KY. Thank you!

Was just put on the alternate list, IS. I am also wondering how much movement the alternate list typically has.

Also just put on Alternate List, IS. The earliest I see that someone posted last year from the Alternative List was April 27th

I'm assuming if we didn't get on the alternate list on the 7th we're getting rejected by snail mail?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You might be able to get an answer from them if you call them. Since both the emails and the letters have likely already been sent out, they might be able to tell you. Good luck!

Check if you missed the email!! It isn't from the usual kymedap email. I thought I was rejected but I was looking for the wrong thing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have another question for current students...do you think the iPad Pro would be sufficient as a computer?

Just withdrew my acceptance. I hope someone gets a much anticipated phone call soon!

has anybody on the alternate list heard anything yet? this waiting is excruciating