2016-2017 University of Iowa (Carver) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how long the IS waitlist is?

msar says 50 IS 100 OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Hey community, I just wanted to thank everyone for being so cool. I'm not sure if it's the type of candidates that Iowa attracts but the level of commrodery is high in this thread and though it didn't go well for everyone today, me included, it was nice to have you guys to commiserate with. Better luck to those next year that didn't get in anywhere and congratulations to those that did get in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Did anyone that was waitlisted last cycle get accepted this year? I'm hoping to meet with the dean of admissions in the next few weeks to discuss my application's weaknesses but I was just curious if the ADCOM takes into consideration previous years' statuses and if it helped in any way the following year. Thanks.

Did anyone that was waitlisted last cycle get accepted this year? I'm hoping to meet with the dean of admissions in the next few weeks to discuss my application's weaknesses but I was just curious if the ADCOM takes into consideration previous years' statuses and if it helped in any way the following year. Thanks.
MD/PhD Student here at Carver College of Medicine:
-Happy New years to y'all.
-to EEtoPre-Med - for applicants they are placed in three categories - flat reject, final pool or review for rolling admissions. If you make it for review for rolling admissions, you are either accepted into the class or put into the final pool
-to nousername4444 - 50 spot for OOS and 100 spots for IS. And if you previously applied, you are at an advantage if you actually called/talked with admissions and made the changes they recommended.
I fit your description. I spoke with an admissions representative about deficits in my application after missing an acceptance off the waitlist last year, followed their suggestions to correct those deficiencies, and was admitted this cycle. I cannot speak for sure to the degree that my corrections played in my ultimate admission, but @researchlover seems to imply that they confer an advantage in the above quote and that they do refer to previous year's applications to see if you called for advice/followed said advice.

I would highly recommend setting up an appointment to discuss your application. The admission representative is not only extremely kind and empathetic, but also essentially relays the notes on your file from the admissions committee, information that is impossible to come by in any other way. More so, although it was a tough pill to swallow and wasn't one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life (no one likes hearing about their failures/deficits), it definitely gave me priceless feedback and direction as I constructed my plans for reapplication.

As an aside, one admissions representative that I spoke with ballparked the number of reapplicants that are admitted to any given year's class at approximately 25% of the class, so don't beat yourself too much for being a reapplicant.

Swallow your pride, crush their suggestions, and hopefully I'll see you in next years class should it come to that. Wish you all the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Similar to @Domepiece, was waitlisted last year and accepted this year. The adcom advice was very valuable in reapplication.

I'm low on the IS alternate list (1-5). I'll definitely let you guys (and future lurkers) know when/if I get the good news. It looks like the first big movement didn't happen until mid-April last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Are you contacting Mrs. Huebner or someone else to review your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied for IMEI? If so, have you heard anything yet?

Any IS acceptees out there that'll be deferring their Iowa acceptance to go to Harvard/Duke/Stanford/Mayo/etc? :love:

I applied to IMEI and haven't heard from them. But I also applied to the SRF and heard back today. I'll be doing that instead of IMEI.

I applied to IMEI and haven't heard from them. But I also applied to the SRF and heard back today. I'll be doing that instead of IMEI.
Nice! Congratulations! Are you gonna be at the acquainted day?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what we should wear to the dinners/get acquainted day? Is this like a casual thing or business casual?

Does anyone know what we should wear to the dinners/get acquainted day? Is this like a casual thing or business casual?
The email we received about it said casual attire and that jeans are fine. I really don't like over/under dressing though so I was wondering the same thing.

Can alternate listed applicants make an appointment to ask about their application too? I'm on OOS alternate list with no MD acceptances yet, so I'd like some feedback on what needs to be addressed if I re-apply.
Also, fellows alternates, let's not lose hope just yet. I checked my secondary portal today and surprised to see that I moved up some spots! Anyone knows the avg # of OOS alternate list movement at Carver? Thanks!
You bet you can! I just did this week and I thought it was very helpful. I'd call to ask regardless, it doesn't hurt.

Can alternate listed applicants make an appointment to ask about their application too? I'm on OOS alternate list with no MD acceptances yet, so I'd like some feedback on what needs to be addressed if I re-apply.
Also, fellows alternates, let's not lose hope just yet. I checked my secondary portal today and surprised to see that I moved up some spots! Anyone knows the avg # of OOS alternate list movement at Carver? Thanks!
Yes to your first question. From their website, "Reapplicants should meet with admissions staff to formulate a plan for reapplication."

Here's a quote from myself from 1 year and 1 week ago, referring to movement from the 2014-2015 application cycle:
OOS moved 15 spots last year (sorry, don't have other years), which the rep said was abnormally low. They are currently still over accepted by about 57 students, so you pry won't see movement until the April 30th deadline. Additionally, they generally see 30-40 OOS withdrawls per year likely happening around that date as well
My understanding is that OOS movement is highly variable year to year. For your purposes, your best move would be to call admissions (which is how I got this info). They aren't intimidating at all and are very helpful. The number is located in your portal.

Bumping the thread in case potential students still have questions after second look!

If anyone is still wondering about IMEI, the application is open 4/25. While they have filled several of the spots already, the are waiting for the app to close to make final decisions. Acceptances will be sent no later than the first week of May. If anyone is on the fence about applying, attending or has additional questions about the program, feel free to message me!

I've just declined my offer (IS, UI alum) for another institution and I'm feeling kind of bummed about it so if anyone out there gets off of the IS waitlist, will you tell me so I can be excited with you?? Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
I've just declined my offer (IS, UI alum) for another institution and I'm feeling kind of bummed about it so if anyone out there gets off of the IS waitlist, will you tell me so I can be excited with you?? Best of luck everyone.
I don't know you, Madam, but I can tell you with certainty that I'll always love you!! Best of luck with your chosen school!

Why did you decline? I wish you the best with the school you will attend!

anyone knows about PHi Rho Sigma at Carver? they have their own housing. Want to get some information.

Just declined my offer yesterday. Hopefully that will bump one of you off the waitlist!

Reactions: 2 users
Talking with other accepted students at Get Acquainted / Second Look day, there were quite a few students who had also been accepted to SLU. None were planning to attend SLU and most indicated they would be coming to Carver. You have to wonder what the effect of the recent probation announcement at SLU will be on waitlist movement at Carver and other Midwestern schools. In any case, good luck to all!

I was accepted off of the IS Alternate List (#3-5) a couple of days ago. Dream come true!

Reactions: 10 users
does anyone know if the waitlist automatically get updated ? i would think there would be movement after the april 30th deadline but there hasn't been a change in my position yet.. sorry for the impatience..

They are probably still overaccepted :/

i don't think they're overaccepted... where did you hear that?

edit: i think the comment you're referring to is from last year or the year before... anyone know if they overaccepted this year?

Most schools (including Iowa) overaccept knowing that people will drop so I was saying maybe they are still at capacity or more - which isn't good for waitlisted people of course

oh okay, thanks for letting me know! hope it continues to move lol. just thought it was weird that there wasn't any movement at all

does anyone know if the waitlist automatically get updated ? i would think there would be movement after the april 30th deadline but there hasn't been a change in my position yet.. sorry for the impatience..

When I called the admissions office a couple weeks ago, I was told that declines from admitted students and subsequent offers to people on the wait-list are processed manually. That being said, I would have at least expected the wait-list number in the portal to go down... are you OOS?

When I called the admissions office a couple weeks ago, I was told that declines from admitted students and subsequent offers to people on the wait-list are processed manually. That being said, I would have at least expected the wait-list number in the portal to go down... are you OOS?

yeah, i am oos. i agree, i feel like at least some people (even one) would have withdrawn from the waitlist if they had another acceptance. seems unusual but it makes sense if it's a manual process. maybe they just haven't had a chance to considering how busy it is around this deadline. i'll post an update if it changes tomorrow or i'll give them a quick call just to ask. are you oos also ?

yeah, i am oos. i agree, i feel like at least some people (even one) would have withdrawn from the waitlist if they had another acceptance. seems unusual but it makes sense if it's a manual process. maybe they just haven't had a chance to considering how busy it is around this deadline. i'll post an update if it changes tomorrow or i'll give them a quick call just to ask. are you oos also ?
I am oos as well. From previous years, the wait-list should at least move, so the fact that it hasn't at all probably means they could still be processing everything. Also, since they over-accept, the influx of accepts and declines must be quite a mess to go through which is why it might take a while. I'm still hoping... best of luck to you :)