2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is according to students during the M1 visit day a few weeks ago.
Can anyone also confirm this?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how many acceptances have already been given out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone wanna share the reasons they have for appealing their campus placement?

Last edited:
I withdrew from this school by emailing the admissions, but have not received a confirmation email. Did anyone who withdrew receive a confirmation? Or go about withdrawing another way? Thank you.

I withdrew from this school by emailing the admissions, but have not received a confirmation email. Did anyone who withdrew receive a confirmation? Or go about withdrawing another way? Thank you.

Check the applicant portal. Did you get your refund back? I still haven't received my refund.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So is the drug panel required of incoming M1s to the chicago campus? The email from Pamela Slaughter did not mention it.

So is the drug panel required of incoming M1s to the chicago campus? The email from Pamela Slaughter did not mention it.

Where did you hear about the drug panel? I'm going to the Chicago campus and I haven't heard anything about it. One of my friends got an email about it, but none of the other people I know who are assigned to Chicago received an email.

Where did you hear about the drug panel? I'm going to the Chicago campus and I haven't heard anything about it. One of my friends got an email about it, but none of the other people I know who are assigned to Chicago received an email.

I only recall a mention of drug screening in the immunization/health records sheet included in the acceptance packet that said that some clinical rotations may require it for M3s. Haven't heard anything about M1s being screened, and I don't believe that's anywhere near the norm across medical schools.

I've been taken off the waitlist at another school and will be dropping my spot in the class. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know when we'll see some waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got off the phone with the financial aid office. They said all scholarships have already been extended by admissions (they only have enough for ~10 people).

Everything else from the institution is in loans. Summer is required. Their COA breakdown on the website doesn't include health insurance (~$4,000 per year). The total COA in their breakdown doesn't include a Summer term for either IS or OOS so the totals should be higher.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah I got the financial award letter and it didnt include the summer term. I wish it did so I would have an idea of how much it would actually cost :(

I've been taken off the waitlist at another school and will be dropping my spot in the class. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist! Good luck!
It is very kind and generous of you to post your admit withdrawal. Good luck at your other med school! Congrats on having more than one option!:highfive: Lots of people have waitlist only. Thanks for giving hope to waitlisters:) You are certainly thoughtful:hello:

Reactions: 2 users

I know we have to take it because of posts earlier in this thread and last year's thread. I just wanted to clarify what the timeline looked like so I can get everything submitted correctly. What did your friend's email say?

Last edited:
Does anyone wanna share the reasons they have for appealing their campus placement?
Really rare!! Personally, I was one of those last round applicants to get accepted but still ended up in Chicago as someone dropped out. If you don't have some solid reason like you need to take care of your parents or something equally strong, it is really hard to switch campuses once assigned. However, I have friends at Peoria and Rockford and they like it there. Lesser expenses is a huge plus and a lot of time to focus on studying. I've heard their STEP average is higher too.

Does anyone know when we will start to see movement or if they expect movement at all this cycle?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist? And if so were you assigned at a campus or did you have to rank your campus placement?

Reactions: 1 users
So, regarding the drug screen, I legit lost my sheet that gives instructions as to what we're supposed to do/what is being screened. Anyone wanna help me out on this lol

Last edited:
Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist? And if so were you assigned at a campus or did you have to rank your campus placement?
I'm curious about this too. I guess we can't really look at last year's thread to get an idea since it was such a mess, but I went through part of the 2014-2015 thread and it looks like people began to see some movement around the third week of May. I dk though because it seems like that year they also accidentally sent out rejections so they were still interviewing and accepting people in June! Hard to tell. I know that in 2014-2015, people were asked which site they preferred once they were removed from the WL, but when I spoke to admissions last month they said that we'd be assigned a campus if pulled from the WL.

Idk if anyone has this issue. I was placed on the waitlist about 3 weeks ago and I have still not yet received a letter in the mail.

Idk if anyone has this issue. I was placed on the waitlist about 3 weeks ago and I have still not yet received a letter in the mail.

I haven't received a letter either. I called last week to confirm which address they sent it to (current or permanent) and it seems like they had made a mistake so they said they'd re-send it. I suggest you call to make sure.

I haven't received a letter either. I called last week to confirm which address they sent it to (current or permanent) and it seems like they had made a mistake so they said they'd re-send it. I suggest you call to make sure.
Yeah I called too and they confirmed the address. However it seems they might have forgotten to send it because I have not changed my address. They just told me that they might scan or email it to me instead.

So, regarding the drug screen, I legit lost my sheet that gives instructions as to what we're supposed to do/what is being screened. Anyone wanna help me out on this lol

When I called last week they said we'd be doing the drug screen during orientation

When I called last week they said we'd be doing the drug screen during orientation

Cool. Another question:

The sheet that was emailed to us indicates that lab reports are required for things like MMR. I called my former pediatrician's office to pull up my immunization records with them and they indicated that they don't keep the titer information records on hand for kids. So they have the dates of these but don't have lab reports. Anybody experience something similar to this before? I'm pretty confused/sort of worried.

Something similar happened to me, so I had to do a new blood draw for new titers...all came out positive, except for I think the Hep B so I took two boosters until I had a positive titer

Cool. Another question:

The sheet that was emailed to us indicates that lab reports are required for things like MMR. I called my former pediatrician's office to pull up my immunization records with them and they indicated that they don't keep the titer information records on hand for kids. So they have the dates of these but don't have lab reports. Anybody experience something similar to this before? I'm pretty confused/sort of worried.

Cool. Another question:

Is this sheet different than the one that was mailed with the acceptance packet? I haven't received anything by email

I only recall a mention of drug screening in the immunization/health records sheet included in the acceptance packet that said that some clinical rotations may require it for M3s. Haven't heard anything about M1s being screened, and I don't believe that's anywhere near the norm across medical schools.

A 10 panel drug screen is required prior to M1. Last year they just made us schedule it ourselves and we had to upload a negative result to castlebranch before matriculation. So you have 3 months to get it done. They also did not inform us the we have to do another one before M2 year. I got a 60 day notice to get it done, so it seems to be an annual thing.

Finally received my letter. I've been placed on the TOP half. I thought I'd give it a shot and ask how many people are actually on the alternate list and when they expect to begin using it, but got nothing. Anyone have any additional info?

That UIC 4 year tuition of $463,510 is extremely ridiculous.

Is anyone else still Applicant in Process?
Yes. Does anyone know what this means? I am surprised that they have not sent out a rejection email.
Do you know if they will accept people this summer without an interview??

Yes. Does anyone know what this means? I am surprised that they have not sent out a rejection email.

I doubt that will happen.

Any current students in Peoria dog owners?

Many of my friends who are going to Peoria own dogs. Dog ownership can be easy if you have friends and/or roommates who can walk the animal occasionally. It is a great excuse to get outside! I would be more than willing to walk your dog if you were going to Rockford :(

I doubt that will happen.

Many of my friends who are going to Peoria own dogs. Dog ownership can be easy if you have friends and/or roommates who can walk the animal occasionally. It is a great excuse to get outside! I would be more than willing to walk your dog if you were going to Rockford :(

I will be going to Rockford too!

I called Gary at the beginning of April when that was still my status and he told me that I'd be reviewed by the end of April. He did say that the admissions committee could still offer interviews if they saw fit.

Third Thursday of the month. Wonder if they will be making more acceptances soon....

For the Behavioral/Social Science prerequisite, is it ok to fulfill the requirement after you submit the application? I'm currently a junior who's applying this June and I did not take 2 courses that are in the same department (For example 2 psych courses or 2 sociology courses). Therefore I am planning to take it this upcoming fall when I am a senior. Am I allowed to do that?

For the Behavioral/Social Science prerequisite, is it ok to fulfill the requirement after you submit the application? I'm currently a junior who's applying this June and I did not take 2 courses that are in the same department (For example 2 psych courses or 2 sociology courses). Therefore I am planning to take it this upcoming fall when I am a senior. Am I allowed to do that?

it's fine.. a couple of my friends are fulfilling it this summer before they start M1 in the fall.

For those of you working on immunizations, here's a post that I wrote a while back. Thought it would be helpful for saving you guys some money.

For those of you who are accepted (or will be) and are working through the CastleBranch stuff, here are a few helpful pointers I learned along the way:
  • For those in the Chicago area, I shopped around for vaccines and titers and found out that the UIC clinic (for students, faculty, and staff) was the cheapest for performing the vaccines. I'm not sure if they do all of the tests and shots, but it's worth a call. I went to the one on the West Campus (Wolcott Ave.) which is where the med school is, but they might do them at the East Campus too (Halsted St.). It's okay if you're not officially a student yet. I just told them I was accepted and they were fine taking me. Just call ahead to double-check it's okay and to make an appointment. I think this is the correct contact info.

UIC Health Services/Occupational Health, 835 S. Wolcott Ave. E-144, Chicago, IL; (312) 996-7420

• If for some reason you have to get a new vaccine or retake one, you should note that some of the vaccines come in a series which require a set amount of time (weeks or months) in between shots. For some (I don't remember which), if you wait too long in between you'll have to start over. I think hep B and polio vaccinations can take weeks or months so you should check on those relatively early.
  • I know last fall some students weren't able to be fully vaccinated by the time classes started, but as long as they notified Admissions and showed proof that they were "in progress" of the vaccination series, they were fine. UIC's policies can change though so I'd follow up with Admissions to be sure.
  • Last year only those attending the Chicago campus were required to take the 10-panel drug test, whereas UPR (Urbana-Peoria-Rockford) students were not. Earlier in this thread someone said that the drug test wasn't required for Chicago this year for M1's but it still showed up in CastleBranch. I don't know if that's correct or what the policy is now, but if that's true it could be showing up by accident because it was required last year.
  • If you're currently a student, you might be able to go to your school's wellness center/clinic to get vaccines and tests for cheap.
  • My health insurance didn't cover any of these expenses. My doctor's office would have charged the most (by a long shot). CVS' and Walgreens' clinics were cheaper, but school clinics were the cheapest. There might be better options out there, but this is what I could find.

Soooo we all just gonna forget that there's a lot of us waitlisted lol? Anyone have an inside scoop or we still waiting for Gary to decide our fate?

Reactions: 4 users
Soooo we all just gonna forget that there's a lot of us waitlisted lol? Anyone have an inside scoop or we still waiting for Gary to decide our fate?

I feel you! I was really hoping to see some movement by now :/

Met with admissions advisor early June.
Secondary Application Complete July 13.
Applicant in Process until today. No II.
"A final decision was made on your application on . Please allow two-weeks to receive the correspondence in the mail. If you do not receive this correspondence in two-weeks,..."

a long, long time ago I told people I'd respond with if that status "applicant" ever changed to "application". So, to summarize - nah. It didn't. Congrats to all of those who got into UIC! :)