2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted...interviewed Feb 23rd.
Join the club:( it seems like UIC waitlisted a lot of applicants this year...

Is anyone still decision pending?

Members don't see this ad.

I called the admissions office an hour ago and asked the lady that since I was placed in the bottom half of the waitlist if that means that I am in the 3rd or 4th quartile, and she said that it means that I am in the second quartile... but doesn't a quartile mean 4? Shouldn't there be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quartile? I feel like she was trying to imply that there was only a 1st and 2nd quartile and that the 1st quartile is the top half and the 2nd quartile is the bottom half. Just thought I would let you guys know what I found out so we can try to figure out what our statuses might mean :).

Also, I was placed in the bottom half and am in-state

I'm on the bottom half as well and I also called the admissions office and was told basically the same thing. I asked her specifically if there were third and 4th quartiles this year and she said there isn't. So just 1st and 2nd. But what she says she doesn't know is how many people are on the waitlist this year. I'm wondering if this means there are less people on the waitlist this year because there are only 2 quartiles or if there is the same amount as usual? The lady on the phone says she doesn't know and that we should call Gary on Thursday to find out more. Poor Gary lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrawing right my spot right now from Chicago. Best of luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did the person you spoke to mention that there were going to be 3rd and 4th quartiles mentioned in the letters?
She only mentioned that by being on the waitlist that meant I was in the first or second quartile. By implication, I think she meant there would not be a third or fourth quartile for the waitlist. Hope that answers your question :)

Is there a formal acceptance we need to file to accept their offer? Congrats to those that got in and good luck to those wait listed!

Did anyone who received notice of their quartile also get any info on how the process would work (dates, campus selection, etc.)?

Is there a formal acceptance we need to file to accept their offer? Congrats to those that got in and good luck to those wait listed!
I'm not sure about what you need to do for UIC, but for the schools I have been accepted to, as long as you pay the deposit, you should be fine, and then you will have forms/transcripts/immunization stuff to complete before the school's deadline

Did anyone who received notice of their quartile also get any info on how the process would work (dates, campus selection, etc.)?
The only thing the letter really informed us about was which half of the waitlist we were in, there were no dates on when movement should start/campus selection information... hope that helps!

I have an idea to figure out how many people are getting off the waitlist... look at how many people are on the Facebook group page for this upcoming class (should give a rough estimate of how many people are in the class and have accepted)... then compare to the amount of students the usually accept... subtract... bam

Let me know if it helps.

I have an idea to figure out how many people are getting off the waitlist... look at how many people are on the Facebook group page for this upcoming class (should give a rough estimate of how many people are in the class and have accepted)... then compare to the amount of students the usually accept... subtract... bam

Let me know if it helps.

Not to get all weird about it, but I found the numbers according to the Facebook groups:

Rockford 22

Chicago 267

Peoria 29

I read somewhere that last year everyone joined the Chicago group first. If that's the case, if that 267 number is correct, and if they want a total class size of 300 overall, then there ought to be 33 spots available. That's a lot of ifs, though.

Just got the letter in the mail. Waitlisted in the top half. Interviewed 3/15. CA resident.

Not to get all weird about it, but I found the numbers according to the Facebook groups:

Rockford 22

Chicago 267

Peoria 29

I read somewhere that last year everyone joined the Chicago group first. If that's the case, if that 267 number is correct, and if they want a total class size of 300 overall, then there ought to be 33 spots available. That's a lot of ifs, though.
Yea that makes sense... maybe some of the people are in multiple groups... they might accept more etc... so idk if we can give a fair estimate just yet. Maybe later in the month

Let me know if it helps.

Don't use the FB group as an indicator. Like 60% of the group are current M1s

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious as to whether they separated the wait list by IS or OOS applicants? Maybe the IS applicants are bottom half and OOS are top half? Just curious because it seems as if most of the people who reported their status yesterday were bottom half and most likely were IS since they got the decision in the mail so quickly... I just really want to go here and keep trying to think of ways that I might possibly be able to get off the waitlist

I'm curious as to whether they separated the wait list by IS or OOS applicants? Maybe the IS applicants are bottom half and OOS are top half? Just curious because it seems as if most of the people who reported their status yesterday were bottom half and most likely were IS since they got the decision in the mail so quickly... I just really want to go here and keep trying to think of ways that I might possibly be able to get off the waitlist

The wait lists are separated by ranking order as for competitiveness, you aren't top half if you are in or out of state. A number of people, myself included, are instate and in the top half.

The wait lists are separated by ranking order as for competitiveness, you aren't top half if you are in or out of state. A number of people, myself included, are instate and in the top half.

We just don't know the ranks, just which half.

Insomnia... okay I think there is a way to figure those out if we get everyone to cooperate.

I'll post something and then if the statement applies to you... like the comment. I'll tally everything up in excel and hope for the best.

-hype waitlist placeholder

Reactions: 1 users
Okay... who has been accepted but is withdrawing their application?

Who has been accepted and plans on attending?

Reactions: 4 users
Who has been waitlisted top half but withdrawing?

Reactions: 2 users
Who has been waitlisted top half but staying/praying for the best

Reactions: 7 users
Who has been waitlisted bottom half but withdrawing?

Who has been waitlisted bottom half but doesn't care anymore about this school?

Insomnia... okay I think there is a way to figure those out if we get everyone to cooperate.

I'll post something and then if the statement applies to you... like the comment. I'll tally everything up in excel and hope for the best.

-hype waitlist placeholder
Very rough estimate... but if you know an answer to some question but the person isn't on sdn... you can still include them or something Idk just trying to help

OOS. Feb. interview. Received letter with TOP half on it. Whatever that means...

Does anyone know historically when we should start hearing about acceptances off the waitlist (top half)? I know last year was a mess, but years prior.

All I see on the portal is Waitlisted. No information on what quartile or half (is that only in the letter?). Have not received a letter in the mail either. Anyone in a similar position and could clarify what exactly it means?

All I see on the portal is Waitlisted. No information on what quartile or half (is that only in the letter?). Have not received a letter in the mail either. Anyone in a similar position and could clarify what exactly it means?
It's only in the letter

waitlisted bottom half woohoo.

Just withdrew post-acceptance (chicago campus)
Best of luck to those on the waitlist!

Anybody want to go over the pros/cons of each campus, 2017 edition? With the unified curriculum and Urbana location closing, I think the analyses on SDN are becoming outdated. Thoughts from current students who have an inside look on these changes would be great!

Most people may choose Chicago reflexively but I heard good things from (U)PR students as well, even that they preferred P/R by the end of M4 due to closer relationships, less chaotic setting, etc.

Does anyone know if those who withdrew their acceptance from Chicago might eventually be replaced by people assigned to other campuses (Rockford/Peoria), or eventually be replaced by people on the waitlist?

Do you have to do anything to withdraw besides send an email?

So it's May 1 and we can only hold 1 acceptance, but since UofI mails out acceptances and then doesn't place you until you've accepted, does that mean we have to be 100% committed to going to wherever we get placed? I wouldn't want to drop my current acceptance elsewhere if I didn't know where I was going to be placed.

So it's May 1 and we can only hold 1 acceptance, but since UofI mails out acceptances and then doesn't place you until you've accepted, does that mean we have to be 100% committed to going to wherever we get placed? I wouldn't want to drop my current acceptance elsewhere if I didn't know where I was going to be placed.

Yes, exactly. Of course, there is that slight chance you can petition a transfer but unless you have an extremely compelling reason, forget about it.

M1 going to Rockford for M2.

I can answer some questions if necessary. All the info below is my personal opinion.

If you are trying to decide between a clinical site that will best suit your interests, I would urge you to review info published by each sites hospital network and past match data. This will give you a good idea on what type of clinical experience you will obtain and where M4s end up. Each site has its own benefit/detriments. For example, Chicago has a large academic hospital and interesting cases come through; however, med students are the low person on the totem pole. In contrast, Rockford students do not work under residents and clinical interactions are directly with attendings. This results in a lot of hands-on experience. Similarly, Peoria has an excellent program with amazing clinical opportunities, research, etc. Don't let the name of a city or size drive your site preference. Some of the greatest hospitals in the US are in small cites, e.g. Mayo in Rochester. All UIC sites have built a reputation of clinical excellence and this has attracted some of the best physicians in the tri-state area.

Good luck to everyone moving forward and enjoy your summer.

Reactions: 2 users
For what it's worth, Peoria usually has the highest step scores among the campuses (238 average last year).

Can you post your source for UIC Step 1 scores? We were informed that the data is not published.

For what it's worth, Peoria usually has the highest step scores among the campuses (238 average last year).
I'd also like to know the source. From MSAR, I believe the average aggregated was ~220

Last edited:
Does anyone know if those who withdrew their acceptance from Chicago might eventually be replaced by people assigned to other campuses (Rockford/Peoria), or eventually be replaced by people on the waitlist?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

How soon after you submitted your campus choice forms did you get a placement? Is it through email?