2016-2017 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fingers crossed for movement for us this week!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Becoming increasing worried that they are very short on openings for waitlist movement

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
:/

Has anyone spoken with someone from admissions recently?
It just seems odd that none of us have heard anything
I called last Wednesday. They could not provide any info on whether or not they had given out any of their anticipated acceptances from the waitlist, but said they hoped to give all those waiting some sort of update of their standing by around June 7.

Reactions: 1 users
I called last Wednesday. They could not provide any info on whether or not they had given out any of their anticipated acceptances from the waitlist, but said they hoped to give all those waiting some sort of update of their standing by around June 7.

Damn... thanks for the info. I'm gonna hope that they are planning on making some calls this week or next and that they haven't overbooked the class.

Damn... thanks for the info. I'm gonna hope that they are planning on making some calls this week or next and that they haven't overbooked the class.

based on what you said about your friend getting in (18 May), my bet is that they didn't overbook the class (if they did there would be zero movement). So it's just been slow. What i'm learning from all this is that I need to get off SDN, and my personality is more addictive than I thought.

based on what you said about your friend getting in (18 May), my bet is that they didn't overbook the class (if they did there would be zero movement). So it's just been slow. What i'm learning from all this is that I need to get off SDN, and my personality is more addictive than I thought.

Too true! That is reassuring. SDN is my dirty little secret and is definitely correlated with my stress levels haha.

It helps to know we're all in the same boat! From what I've heard the admissions staff is down two people this year which is why everything is going slower. I'm not sure if that's the case, but I hope so! It would just mean that 2 people are doing their best to do the work of more, not necessarily that there are fewer spots this year.

Reactions: 3 users

I also called but like two weeks ago, I asked broadly about any updates for people on the waitlist. The response was to the effect of "updates will go out by the end of the second week of June".
My thought to this later was along the lines of " Damn, If I don't hear back by then then it's probably over for the season". Ultimately, it aint over until the " thanks but no thanks" email comes in.
I noticed the Facebook group has slowly increased from 126 to 137 over the last 2 weeks. That's pretty slow growth so I am hopeful that they really are just going super slow. :) This week and next week is what I'm really banking on.... but I've been saying that for a few months. :smack::smack::smack:

Reactions: 6 users
Sweet Jesus... I just want someone to something!!

Reactions: 2 users
So...according to the most recent post info here we should be notified of our status by "around" tomorrow?

I called the other day and they said by the end of the second week of June. They aren't being entirely consistent with their timeline.

I called the other day and they said by the end of the second week of June. They aren't being entirely consistent with their timeline.

So that should be this week then, I mean, if I'm looking at the calendar correctly.

Edit: I realize that is obvious. However, I'm just in disbelief that we will hear something this week. Is it finally ending? I hope we get good news!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So that should be this week then, I mean, if I'm looking at the calendar correctly.

Edit: I realize that is obvious. However, I'm just in disbelief that we will hear something this week. Is it finally ending? I hope we get good news!

I am a little wary as to what this update could be. I assume they would be accepting people off the wait list as spots open up, rather than doing a batch acceptance periodically.... and as far as we know there hasn't been much movement. I would love to hear a more optimistic interpretation!

I am a little wary as to what this update could be. I assume they would be accepting people off the wait list as spots open up, rather than doing a batch acceptance periodically.... and as far as we know there hasn't been much movement. I would love to hear a more optimistic interpretation!

My only thought is that this update will be a rejection for a fair amount of people and a true "update" for the few people they decide to keep on. As in, "we think we'll have a spot for you but we might not have one until the end of July"

My only thought is that this update will be a rejection for a fair amount of people and a true "update" for the few people they decide to keep on. As in, "we think we'll have a spot for you but we might not have one until the end of July"

oops I mean to reply, but: Sounds about right. Not a great year to be on the waitlist...

I'm assuming admissions is probably surprised with this lack of movement as well, judging from the optimism of the original waitlist email

Spoke to admissions once more and am pretty skeptical that any updates will go out next week other than maybe dropping the lower tier waitlist. Sounds like just more waiting until spots open up. Keep on hanging in there everybody!!

I was informed by a current student that a friend of theirs was accepted in the middle of orientation. #FML #ButTheyGotIn #W

Additionally, the Facebook group confirmed it's first additional student in the last like ~10 days. so it says 139 with 7 being administrators. #CalmBeforeTheStorm #IHope

Spoke to admissions today, sounds like they don't anticipate sending out any sort of updates. I was told that they just give out acceptances as other people forgo theirs so they can't lend any predictions.

Spoke to admissions today, sounds like they don't anticipate sending out any sort of updates. I was told that they just give out acceptances as other people forgo theirs so they can't lend any predictions.
did they say if there has been any movement?

It's just so bizarre and disheartening that no one on here has gotten an acceptance--at least no one has posted about it. Hoping for best, preparing for worst.

Don't forget to do this while you're waiting. Enjoy your summer. Based on the extraordinary people that I met on interview day, you are all tremendously accomplished, inspiring, good people. Don't let this harrowing app cycle invalidate how much you have achieved or distract you from your goals. You have much to offer.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody have an idea how much movement generally occurs post June at CU? Not that this cycle is typical...

Literally made an account just to contribute to this thread I've been following silently all year-- As of today, the CU Facebook group is now at 143; subtract 7 admins and we're left with 136 members-- meaning, in the most ideal case, there are 48 seats left to fill a class of 184. Surely, this slow growth is a temporal sign that they have been rolling out more offers as spots open up.

Typically, when you are offered a spot off of a waitlist, the institution gives you a rather short period of time to either accept or reject their offer (between 1-2 weeks). In the case of CU, my theory is that they have been making small batches of HPWL offers either earlier this month or in late May, and what appears to us forum-users as a "lack" of movement stems from the possibility that the applicants they selected are ultimately disinterested and/or just milking their time to make a decision (maybe they're waiting for other top notch schools or are simply ignoring the offer/defaulting to being withdrawn after their particular deadline passes)-- leaving us to ponder and further speculate what could be going on behind the oh-so-mysterious veil of admissions.

In either case, I sincerely hope there is room for us all. Assuming the top one-third waitlist consists of between 50-100 applicants (which imo, is an overly-generous estimate), I see no reason to be doubtful at the prospect of receiving an offer, especially if they have already been pulling students from HPWL and there is still up to a possible 48 seats remaining.

Stay strong and hang in there guys! We didn't make it this far unless we sincerely deserve and have a shot at being admitted here.

Last edited:
Literally made an account just to contribute to this thread I've been following silently all year-- As of today, the CU Facebook group is now at 143; subtract 7 admins and we're left with 136 members-- meaning, in the most ideal case, there are 48 seats left to fill a class of 184. Surely, this slow growth is a temporal sign that they have been rolling out more offers as spots open up.

Typically, when you are offered a spot off of a waitlist, the institution gives you a rather short period of time to either accept or reject their offer (between 1-2 weeks). In the case of CU, my theory is that they have been making small batches of HPWL offers either earlier this month or in late May, and what appears to us forum-users as a "lack" of movement stems from the possibility that the applicants they selected are ultimately disinterested and/or just milking their time to make a decision (maybe they're waiting for other top notch schools or are simply ignoring the offer/defaulting to being withdrawn after their particular deadline passes)-- leaving us to ponder and further speculate what could be going on behind the oh-so-mysterious veil of admissions.

In either case, I sincerely hope there is room for us all. Assuming the top one-third waitlist consists of between 50-100 applicants (which imo, is an overly-generous estimate), I see no reason to be doubtful at the prospect of receiving an offer, especially if they have already been pulling students from HPWL and there is still up to a possible 48 seats remaining.

Stay strong and hang in there guys! We didn't make it this far unless we sincerely deserve and have a shot at being admitted here.

Thanks for the joining and the thoughts! Now we have another data point!

I think I'm gonna start a Facebook group "University of Colorado School of Medicine Class of 20??"

I would join that group! But i just deleted my facebook... what are the chances that the 48 mentioned above don't have facebook?

I will say that writing my personal statement for this next cycle has made me inspired about medicine again, and realize that this process will all be worth it when we're doctors! If anyone wants to start a group for re-applicants, DM me with ideas and we can set up some kind of idea exchange. Possibly- a separate thread? A FB group as Chamakay suggested (i'll get back on...)

Finally, POLL! posted the following in another thread by got no love. Anyone want to offer some insight? What would you do:

Does anyone have any insight into the weight schools put on individual MCAT sections? I ended up with a 509 and was VERY strong in Biological/Biochemical Foundations but VERY weak in Chemical and Physical foundations. Pretty happy with the other scores. I'd love to bring up my CP Foundations/overall score, but would hate to drop that Biological/Biochemical foundations. I understand that with the old MCAT, admissions committees liked to see a balanced score and am wondering if this still applies.

HPWL at Colorado, looking for something to push me over that edge. Solid healthcare experience, volunteer hours, extracurriculars; GPA isn't changing. Thanks and good luck to everyone else still waiting/reapplying/slowly dying! We will get through this.

tl;dr: I would bet your MCAT is fine, I think the class is full regardless of what the facebook group says, go get in someone's face and yell at them why you want to be a doc, this process has been the absolute worst but I think we are better for it

It depends on how low your C&P section actually is. A 509 will certainly get the bills paid. I know someone with a 500 that's matriculating to a great medical school. Given that you interviewed at CU and received HPWL I would guess that they were able to look past your C&P score.

I think the chances that those 48 people don't have facebook or haven't joined the group are very high. I am almost certain (watch me eat my own words after posting this) that the class is full and that the only thing that will free it up is waitlist movement at other schools. That said there could have been waitlist movement at other schools in the past week that they have not processed yet.

I am rewriting my personal statement as we speak and have found the exact same thing to be true. Thinking for the last year about how dedicated I am to this career path and why has been profoundly affecting. For me, it's easy to know that I want something but difficult for me to really understand "why" until I encounter strong resistance. I met with my mentor at Anschutz yesterday and we decided that this probably wouldn't be my year despite HPWL. After that, they grilled me on my old personal statement and what I was trying to say. I was angry, frustrated, sad and snapped. I started yelling at them why I wanted to be physician and why I wouldn't settle for anything else. It was incredibly therapeutic. Not just talking or writing about why I wanted to be a physician, but yelling it in a short burst of anger.

The most frustrating thing about this career path, at least so far, is that it is slow. Becoming a physician is a slow, painful, and dehumanizing process. We already knew that though. I think that may be one of the only benefits of not getting an acceptance right away or even this cycle. Forcing yourself to think about how bad you want it in the most tangible way possible is terrifying but also crystallizing. Now I know how dedicated I actually am: even more dedicated than I was a year ago. I have a feeling that most of your answers are the same. I've learned to define myself by who I've become in my pursuit of medicine and not by my pursuit of medicine.

tl;dr: I would bet your MCAT is fine, I think the class is full regardless of what the facebook group says, go get in someone's face and yell at them why you want to be a doc, this process has been the absolute worst but I think we are better for it

It depends on how low your C&P section actually is. A 509 will certainly get the bills paid. I know someone with a 500 that's matriculating to a great medical school. Given that you interviewed at CU and received HPWL I would guess that they were able to look past your C&P score.

I think the chances that those 48 people don't have facebook or haven't joined the group are very high. I am almost certain (watch me eat my own words after posting this) that the class is full and that the only thing that will free it up is waitlist movement at other schools. That said there could have been waitlist movement at other schools in the past week that they have not processed yet.

I am rewriting my personal statement as we speak and have found the exact same thing to be true. Thinking for the last year about how dedicated I am to this career path and why has been profoundly affecting. For me, it's easy to know that I want something but difficult for me to really understand "why" until I encounter strong resistance. I met with my mentor at Anschutz yesterday and we decided that this probably wouldn't be my year despite HPWL. After that, they grilled me on my old personal statement and what I was trying to say. I was angry, frustrated, sad and snapped. I started yelling at them why I wanted to be physician and why I wouldn't settle for anything else. It was incredibly therapeutic. Not just talking or writing about why I wanted to be a physician, but yelling it in a short burst of anger.

The most frustrating thing about this career path, at least so far, is that it is slow. Becoming a physician is a slow, painful, and dehumanizing process. We already knew that though. I think that may be one of the only benefits of not getting an acceptance right away or even this cycle. Forcing yourself to think about how bad you want it in the most tangible way possible is terrifying but also crystallizing. Now I know how dedicated I actually am: even more dedicated than I was a year ago. I have a feeling that most of your answers are the same. I've learned to define myself by who I've become in my pursuit of medicine and not by my pursuit of medicine.
Yeah that's more of where I'm at too. If you look at where last year's class was at approximately this date in the cycle, they had around 154 people in the fb group. I think it's just more people don't have active Facebook accounts.

That said, the rationalist in me is inclined to believe our chances are somewhere in-between a pessimistic outlook and an optimistic outlook. It's hard Bc things can change so quickly, not at all, or drag out until the notification that the class is full is sent. They keep their admissions info tight to their chest for obvious reasons, so really all we can do is wait and work on our next steps. Keep living.

Word. also thanks for sharing your story. It's a great feeling to be fired up! Forgot to mention- CU was the only school where I received an II, and it is my IS school.... will be applying to more private schools this year.

{deleted}

Last edited:
A friend of mine (he's not on SDN) and I are on the HPWL, and he called admissions yesterday- he finally broke through the initial person answering the phone to talk to a lady who ACTUALLY knows what's going on. He was informed that yes, the class is indeed full. While admissions can't predict movement at other schools, they told my friend they expect limited movement on the waitlist from here forward.

As far as any notification from CU, it seems like everyone has heard a different date for an update from CU. This lady said not to expect any form of update soon- people on the HPWL might not hear for a while because they don't know how much movement there will be other places.

Sorry to bear the bad news, but I felt everyone should know.

:(

Can any of you awesome folks explain how they determine residency? I saw something about living in CO for 12 months prior to the date of acceptance, but it was a bit ambiguous.

Can any of you awesome folks explain how they determine residency? I saw something about living in CO for 12 months prior to the date of acceptance, but it was a bit ambiguous.
from what I remember (without looking it up) it is 12 months residence, and also demonstrating intent to stay in Colorado. It seemed more like an algorithm than a checkbox: not living here as a student, Colorado drivers license, registering your car, paying rent/owning a home, paying CO state income tax, etc. Call the registrar's office, they'll be able to give you a better idea

Has anyone's deposit check been cashed yet? Sent it in a while back and looks like it hasn't been cashed.

For what it's worth they lost my friend's paperwork so I might call.

The FB group continues to climb steadily and is now at 147, with the latest member being added 2 hours ago. Despite that email stating the class was basically full, the optimist in me wants to believe that calls are still being made and movement (although small) is still happening.

I'm just so shocked at the fact that none of the HPWL members specifically commenting on SDN have received offers.

Reactions: 2 users
The FB group continues to climb steadily and is now at 147, with the latest member being added 2 hours ago. Despite that email stating the class was basically full, the optimist in me wants to believe that calls are still being made and movement (although small) is still happening.

I'm just so shocked at the fact that none of the HPWL members specifically commenting on SDN have received offers.

I'm really shocked about that as well and wish the email hadn't sounded so promising. Sigh. I've all but given up hope at this point

I'm really shocked about that as well and wish the email hadn't sounded so promising. Sigh. I've all but given up hope at this point

HPW interviewee here. No more news on my end either. All I'm holding on to is that the FB groups for class of 19' and 20' have just about the right number of members for the expected class size. The class of 21' has been pretty stagnant in the 147 avg. So until the class of 21' group reaches 175-183'-Ish, I'm gonna keep some faith. I heard from current 3 &4th year friends of mine (2+) that the university has made offers to people during the middle of orientation week and who are now there. So go have some fun, our phones will ring when we least expect it... I hope.

Just be ready to go.

I don't want to give any of you false hope, but my father works with someone who's daughter is a third year at Colorado. And supposedly, he told my father that after the second week of orientation, the students were shown a cadaver, and then two of the students dropped out of the medical school that day. lol. Then supposedly, two slots opened up spontaneously and two people from the waitlist got in. I am not saying this is promising to happen again, but do not give up hope! I would imagine that somehow showing continued interest (this is probably tricky since they don't accept update letters) would be helpful because if this were to happen, then they would likely want to take someone who would commit ASAP. Anyways, I tell you this story because I have committed to a different school that I would prefer over Colorado anyways.

Anyone noticing an error message on their portal when they log in? I saw it yesterday and it's still there today.

Anyone noticing an error message on their portal when they log in? I saw it yesterday and it's still there today.

I don't sign into the portal anymore because it was never updated after I submitted my secondary, despite my calling and getting an interview.
Did you try calling?

yeah i had the same thing. what does it mean? what house is mars in? venus? is time a circle? ...sorry i'm clearly mid-existential crisis management over here

Does having an acceptance to another medical school have a detrimental effect on still being considered if you are on the high priority waitlist?

Although I am grateful for the privilege to start my medical education this year, I still continue to look forward to the possible opportunity to attend Colorado.

Does having an acceptance to another medical school have a detrimental effect on still being considered if you are on the high priority waitlist?

Although I am grateful for the privilege to start my medical education this year, I still continue to look forward to the possible opportunity to attend Colorado.

I'm wondering the same

Just a guess here: depends on how their waitlist is structured. If they just have a list that they go down if/when someone declines, then probably doesn't hurt. However, schools talk to each other, and can see where people on their lists have been accepted etc. So they COULD factor that info in. Given that CU doesn't accept post interview updates, I'm not sure how much they consider this. At this point I'd say they really want a full class, so they're going to offer spots where they know they'll be filled.