2016-2017 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Students who got accepted earlier in the cycle: Do we get some sort of acceptance package sent to us or what is the next after accepting the offer??

You'll get an acceptance letter, and then you pretty much won't hear anything more until you get invited to Second Look, if I remember correctly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do they ever take people off the waitlist before april? Still bummed I got put on the list, this is one of my top choices.

Do they ever take people off the waitlist before april? Still bummed I got put on the list, this is one of my top choices.

There was very minimal waitlist movement last year, unfortunately. I wouldn't lose hope though, you never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Interviewed 11/2. Can't believe I'm going to be a doctor lol.

Reactions: 4 users
does Cincinnati have any scholarship for accepted students?

does Cincinnati have any scholarship for accepted students?

Very few students get scholarships. They email people who've received scholarships in December, February, and May.

Very few students get scholarships. They email people who've received scholarships in December, February, and May.

Are they typically students with extremely high stats?

Are they typically students with extremely high stats?

I'm honestly not sure. I'm not sure if I've even met anyone who got a scholarship, although I guess people don't usually mention that in casual conversation. :p

Good luck to all of those still waiting on to hear back!

I was wondering if anyone knew when Cincinnati usually does their Second Look? Also, should we be working on FAFSA/scholarships now if we've been accepted?

I was wondering if anyone knew when Cincinnati usually does their Second Look? Also, should we be working on FAFSA/scholarships now if we've been accepted?
They said that if you have all of the financial aid stuff taken care of by Feb 1st, you will have your award letter by March. That includes the FAFSA and their own financial aid application. So the sooner the better

As for second look, I think someone said previously that its usually early in April (but I'm not entirely sure)

Second look is April 7th I believe (it's a Friday)

Does Cincinnati welcome additional information such as transcripts or grades by email?

Any current students that can give some insight on a typical week here and what they like and dislike the most?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate list. Interviewed 11/16. Oh well, I suppose I can always hope for some movement.

Any current students that can give some insight on a typical week here and what they like and dislike the most?

So the week really starts on Tuesday.
On Tuesday, we usually have 3-4 lectures from 8-12. They're recorded so you don't have to go, although every so often there's a mandatory lecture (very rarely are they mandatory, tho). Then on Tuesday afternoon I have LC for two hours, the first hour we do a case study and the second hour we discuss articles and stuff.
On Wednesday, we have another 3-4 lectures. Usually we have Wednesday afternoons off but sometimes we have mandatory stuff like a dissection (which we had today) or we meet up with our community partner to discuss our community project.
On Thursday, another 3-4 lectures. Then I usually have an hour of clinical skills in the afternoon.
On Friday, another 3-4 lectures and the afternoon off.
Nothing on the weekends, just studying.
Then on Monday, we have a weekly exam that covers everything we learned the week before. Then we're done. No lecture, no mandatory events, nothing. So Monday is basically our weekend, and everyone goes out on Monday nights. The weekly exams thing (they become biweekly second semester and second year) sounds like it's going to suck but it's actually the greatest thing ever. It keeps you responsible and it gives you one true day off a week.

I like almost everything about Cincinnati. I love my classmates, I love how collaborative it feels despite the fact that we're ranked, I love the curriculum, I love the city.
I really have very few negative things to say. Maybe the one thing I dislike the most is Physician and Society. It's the class where we learn ethics and statistics and stuff. It lasts the whole four years, I think. It's just busy work honestly. It's not really that bad, just a minor annoyance.

Reactions: 8 users
On Tuesday, we usually have 3-4 lectures from 8-12. They're recorded so you don't have to go, although every so often there's a mandatory lecture (very rarely are they mandatory, tho). Then on Tuesday afternoon I have LC for two hours, the first hour we do a case study and the second hour we discuss articles and stuff.
On Wednesday, we have another 3-4 lectures. Usually we have Wednesday afternoons off but sometimes we have mandatory stuff like a dissection (which we had today) or we meet up with our community partner to discuss our community project.
On Thursday, another 3-4 lectures. Then I usually have an hour of clinical skills in the afternoon.
Then on Monday, we have a weekly exam that covers everything we learned the week before. Then we're done. No lecture, no mandatory events, nothing. So Monday is basically our weekend, and everyone goes out on Monday nights. The weekly exams thing (they become biweekly second semester and second year) sounds like it's going to suck but it's actually the greatest thing ever. It keeps you responsible and it gives you one true day off a week.

I like almost everything about Cincinnati. I love my classmates, I love how collaborative it feels despite the fact that we're ranked, I love the curriculum, I love the city.
I really have very few negative things to say. Maybe the one thing I dislike the most is Physician and Society. It's the class where we learn ethics and statistics and stuff. It lasts the whole four years, I think. It's just busy work honestly. It's not really that bad, just a minor annoyance.

Thank you for all that info! Do you have any advice for us who will be matriculating in 7 months?? What would you have done differently in your prep for med school/what have you learned that you wish you would have a couple months ago??

I have been really impressed with how Cincy has reached out to all of those who have been accepted. Not only do they call you to tell you the good news, but they have their M1s reach out to call to answer any questions. They even sent a holiday card.

I'm really loving the attitude they're presenting. It's making it a very enticing place for me.

Reactions: 11 users
Thank you for all that info! Do you have any advice for us who will be matriculating in 7 months?? What would you have done differently in your prep for med school/what have you learned that you wish you would have a couple months ago??

Start looking for an apartment early. Find a place that will let you move in during July, it stinks to have to move in during orientation week.

Buy lots of business casual and professional clothes, you'll need them a lot for Physician and Society and Clinical Skills.

Don't study the summer before. If you're still in college, take easy classes next semester. Enjoy the next few months because you're going to be doing nothing but studying come mid September.

Also enjoy the first five weeks. The first two weeks are First Responder, and the next three weeks are Physician and Society. Both are easy and don't require a ton of studying. Use those five weeks to explore Cincinnati. After that you start Fundamentals and s*** gets real.

Learn to live in the moment and forget about the future, if you spend all your time thinking about everything you have to do in the next week (which, for me, is a clinical skills exam, a weekly exam, a histology exam, anatomy peer teaching, an anatomy practical, and a Fundamentals final exam) you will be very stressed. Just focus on what you have to get done today. The sooner you learn that, the better.

Make friends with your LC. You will see them every day for two years, and pretty much all of the group work you do is with them. If you don't get along, it will be bad. The people in my LC are my best friends here and I couldn't have gotten through the last semester without them.

Edit: also, know that you're going to have some awful days (especially at the beginning of Fundamentals). You're going to cry and you're going to wonder if you made a mistake by deciding to go to med school. That's completely normal, and everyone feels that way at some point. Things always get better, you've just gotta "keep living until you are alive again". :p

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Start looking for an apartment early. Find a place that will let you move in during July, it stinks to have to move in during orientation week.

Buy lots of business casual and professional clothes, you'll need them a lot for Physician and Society and Clinical Skills.

Don't study the summer before. If you're still in college, take easy classes next semester. Enjoy the next few months because you're going to be doing nothing but studying come mid September.

Also enjoy the first five weeks. The first two weeks are First Responder, and the next three weeks are Physician and Society. Both are easy and don't require a ton of studying. Use those five weeks to explore Cincinnati. After that you start Fundamentals and s*** gets real.

Learn to live in the moment and forget about the future, if you spend all your time thinking about everything you have to do in the next week (which, for me, is a clinical skills exam, a weekly exam, a histology exam, anatomy peer teaching, an anatomy practical, and a Fundamentals final exam) you will be very stressed. Just focus on what you have to get done today. The sooner you learn that, the better.

Make friends with your LC. You will see them every day for two years, and pretty much all of the group work you do is with them. If you don't get along, it will be bad. The people in my LC are my best friends here and I couldn't have gotten through the last semester without them.

Thanks so much for the advice :) when you say start looking "early", when would you say is a good time??

Thanks so much for the advice :) when you say start looking "early", when would you say is a good time??

That depends. If you want to live with an M1 and you're going to second look, you can look for a roommate there. In that case, try to sign a lease by late April/early May. If you want to live alone or with an upperclassman or non med student, you can start looking earlier. I live with an M3 and signed my lease in March.

Thank you so much for this! Can't wait to visit again for second look

That depends. If you want to live with an M1 and you're going to second look, you can look for a roommate there. In that case, try to sign a lease by late April/early May. If you want to live alone or with an upperclassman or non med student, you can start looking earlier. I live with an M3 and signed my lease in March.

Are there still plenty of good housing opportunities by the med school if you start looking after second look?? I've lived in a couple different cities and they are all different when it comes to availability and timing of signing leases

Any chance there are still II's going out? Going crazy with all my silences!

Reactions: 2 users
Are there still plenty of good housing opportunities by the med school if you start looking after second look?? I've lived in a couple different cities and they are all different when it comes to availability and timing of signing leases

Yeah there should be plenty of places still available, I only know a few people who had issues and they started looking very late.

where we can find the apartment information? Any websites? thanks so much for providing very useful information for our new comers.

by the way, regarding the grading system, does Cincinati use "high pass", "pass" and "fail", or just "pass" and "fail"

where we can find the apartment information? Any websites? thanks so much for providing very useful information for our new comers.

by the way, regarding the grading system, does Cincinati use "high pass", "pass" and "fail", or just "pass" and "fail"

I believe once you're accepted they'll add some info about apartments to your portal. I mostly just looked on apartment websites.
Pre-clinical is P/F with ranking, clinical years are the high pass/pass/fail system.

so pre-clinical is P/F with ranking, so they rank each student based on test score?

so pre-clinical is P/F with ranking, so they rank each student based on test score?

Yep. It's not the greatest system. Basically you get either a Pass or a Fail in the class overall, but then for each individual exam and assignment you get an actual numerical grade. And then that's used to calculate your rank. IMO it kind of defeats the purpose of being pass/fail in the first place.

Yep. It's not the greatest system. Basically you get either a Pass or a Fail in the class overall, but then for each individual exam and assignment you get an actual numerical grade. And then that's used to calculate your rank. IMO it kind of defeats the purpose of being pass/fail in the first place.

Have the students pushed to change this at all? Are there student curriculum liaisons? I don't remember if I asked that at my interview

Finished secondary 9/20. Still haven't received an II and my portal still says "application complete." Anyone finish before 9/20 and not receive an II yet? BTW, my stats are 507 MCAT (yes, I know that is low but with 123 CARS), OOS (but 54mi from Cincy), 3.84 GPA, 3.83 sGPA, leadership roles in student organizations, tons of hours of volunteering at hospitals, research, and shadowing.

Finished secondary 9/20. Still haven't received an II and my portal still says "application complete." Anyone finish before 9/20 and not receive an II yet? BTW, my stats are 507 MCAT (yes, I know that is low but with 123 CARS), OOS (but 54mi from Cincy), 3.84 GPA, 3.83 sGPA, leadership roles in student organizations, tons of hours of volunteering at hospitals, research, and shadowing.

complete mid-August and haven't heard a peep

Have the students pushed to change this at all? Are there student curriculum liaisons? I don't remember if I asked that at my interview

P/F is a relatively new thing here, and that was definitely a change that the students pushed for. They also just changed it this year so that instead of being ranked into quintiles, we're ranked into quartiles (I'm not really sure how much of a difference that makes). We do have a curriculum committee and two medical students are on the committee. It seems like the committee actually does implement the changes that students are vocal about wanting, so that's good.

As far as I know, interviews are still going out. I believe last year they were sending them out through February? Don't take my word on that, though.

P/F is a relatively new thing here, and that was definitely a change that the students pushed for. They also just changed it this year so that instead of being ranked into quintiles, we're ranked into quartiles (I'm not really sure how much of a difference that makes). We do have a curriculum committee and two medical students are on the committee. It seems like the committee actually does implement the changes that students are vocal about wanting, so that's good.

Does ranking get released to residency programs or is it only for AOA??

Complete secondary 7/18, haven't heard anything back. OOS, 510 MCAT

Some advice for those who are interviewing this week or in the future:
-Look the rater in the eye. If your eyes are constantly darting around the room, that is really going to negatively influence how I rate you.
-MMIs might seem less formal than traditional interviews, but they are not. This is not a conversation between friends. Sit up straight, be professional, stop saying "like" a million times. Your body language and ability to communicate is, for me, just as important as what you say.
-Answer what the question is asking. If you do not answer what the question is asking, or ignore part of the question, we have no choice but to give you, at best, a mediocre score.

Reactions: 1 users

Yeah I submitted mine Aug 25, OOS, 511 MCAT, 3.75 GPA, haven't heard anything through email or the portal site

Is Cincinnati receptive to pre-II updates or LOIs?

Yeah I submitted mine Aug 25, OOS, 511 MCAT, 3.75 GPA, haven't heard anything through email or the portal site

Complete 08/15 IS 3.99 GPA 507MCAT. Doesn't look good for me but wanted to let OP know.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I see people asking if there's going to be more interview invites so I thought I'd share with y'all the conversation I just had with the dean of admissions when I called. She said there will be a couple more interviews this month prior to a big wave in the first week of January. After that it's over, from what I gathered. So don't give up hope yet!

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone else not view their application status page on MedOneStop? It used to work, but now when I hit the "click here" button it takes me to an error page.