2016-2017 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My continuation email from December says that we may receive a final decision at any point on or after March 1. Does this mean they will continue accepting continued candidates before May (when the official waitlist is formed)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Last year, two weeks into March, a few applicants received acceptances.
My continuation email from December says that we may receive a final decision at any point on or after March 1. Does this mean they will continue accepting continued candidates before May (when the official waitlist is formed)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an email - continued (again)

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think it's too late to submit LOIs?

I think now is the best time to send them. The most recent "continued" email encourages us to update them. They don't want to bring people off the continued list who they think would choose to go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone gotten their financial aid award email yet?

does anyone know what the mean by offers can be made any time after today? then they go on to say that they expect movement to take place during the single med school deadline of may 1st. Isn't that like contradicting their first sentence?

does anyone know what the mean by offers can be made any time after today? then they go on to say that they expect movement to take place during the single med school deadline of may 1st. Isn't that like contradicting their first sentence?

I think it means that people could potentially still be accepted in March and April (I remember seeing a post earlier saying some people apparently were mid-March last year) but the chances of that are slim to none since most people will probably hold an acceptance here if they have one until close to April 31st. And then after that adcoms will have a better idea of how many seats they need to fill from the waitlist and give more acceptances out.

I did not apply in the last cycle, but Chicago is potentially the highest reach school for me for this upcoming cycle. I say potentially because there's a chance that I might not apply at all...

Now, to the point, I know that Chicago gets a ton of well qualified applicants who apply early every year. The problem I am facing is that I am a non-trad applicant and my original plan was to take the MCAT in May 19 (score released June 20). However, the more I study, the less confident I feel about the MCAT, so I am thinking about postponing it to at least June 1 (score released July 6) or even June 19 (score released July 18). I am trying my best to stick to May 19th schedule, but with school final coming up along with hospital work, postponing may be needed. Would I be too late for applying to Chicago if my score is sent on 7/18 and my application is complete past mid-July? What are the chances of getting an interview from Chicago when your app is complete in July? (My primary should be complete by no later than 6/25, but verification may take some time). I would love some insight from last year's applicants. Thank you so much in advance.

The top schools are not rolling. So they make decisions at the end and look at each application. You are NOT automatically rejected just for applying a month and a half late into the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we supposed to receive anything in the mail when we've been accepted? Wqs accepted 3/1, got portal status change and email, but nothing in the snail mail. Worried they got my address wrong and I don't want to miss out on whatever enrollment forms I need to fill out.

Are we supposed to receive anything in the mail when we've been accepted? Wqs accepted 3/1, got portal status change and email, but nothing in the snail mail. Worried they got my address wrong and I don't want to miss out on whatever enrollment forms I need to fill out.

Not until a present comes a few months after! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just got a call then an email- accepted plus scholarship! So fired up!!! Withdrawing from everywhere else now!

Reactions: 8 users
I just got a call then an email- accepted plus scholarship! So fired up!!! Withdrawing from everywhere else now!

You were continued, now accepted?

Let me show you the meme of my people:

50246-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-SbQd.jpeg

You were continued, now accepted?

Let me show you the meme of my people:

50246-so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-c-SbQd.jpeg

Yeah, didn't mention this, but for posterity: I was continued twice before being accepted March 1st.

I got a call today too - was continued since my interview in September but was just accepted!

I got a call today too - was continued since my interview in September but was just accepted!

I had pretty much given up hope on this school but it seems like anything is possible!

I guess we are approaching that time when people start making decisions. If I can answer any questions about the school please let me know! I am in a year off between 3rd year and 4th year so can offer advice on most aspects across the curriculum.

Best of luck to those still waiting.

I guess we are approaching that time when people start making decisions. If I can answer any questions about the school please let me know! I am in a year off between 3rd year and 4th year so can offer advice on most aspects across the curriculum.

1) how many students usually take off between year 3 and 4?
2) how many of your peers were on the waitlist but then accepted?
3) do you know what you want to specialize in and in what ways did you determine this/how does pritzker help you with this?

1) how many students usually take off between year 3 and 4?
2) how many of your peers were on the waitlist but then accepted?
3) do you know what you want to specialize in and in what ways did you determine this/how does pritzker help you with this?

1) It varies from year to year. My year about a fourth of the class took a year off between 3rd and 4th year, including myself. Most of these people do research, some do MBAs and occasionally people do other degrees. You can also just "extend" your curriculum and do 4th year over 2 years if you have a big life event (wedding, having a child etc) or really for any reason(1 classmate of mine is doing it so she can couples match with her husband at a different medical school who is one year behind). In all these situations you only pay 4 years of tuition max. If you go get a duel degree you only have to pay the duel degree tuition. For the research years Pritzker has internal funding for I at least 3 people and then many other people get funding through their lab.

2) No idea. I know at least a few who were but not really something I discussed with people.

3) Yes I will be going into internal medicine. Pritzker has a lot of mechanisms to help you decide what you want to do. First year you choose a clinical preceptor that you spend about 1 half day a month with. My preceptor was an infectious disease physician which was what I was interested in. I did some shadowing in first and second year (mostly shadowing surgeons during which I quickly learned I didn't want to do that :p). Then third year you go through the ringer and figure out what you enjoy through experience. There are a lot of mentors to help you make this decision. Everyone has a career advisor who provides general advice. Once you have a speciality in mind you choose a speciality advisor. Many of your third year attendings and clerkship directors are totally willing to discuss career interests with you. In fact I met with a few of the clerkship directors just to discuss my interests, etc. In addition there are peer mentoring sessions where 4th years provide other classes with advice on choosing a specialty, etc.

Reactions: 3 users

Hi Tots thanks for doing this! I have a few questions.
Has it been your experience that the environment is as collaborative/collegial as the admissions people present it to be?
Do you have any advice for living in Hyde Park (e.g. location)?
Do you have any advice for diving into anatomy right off the bat? I have a friend who had a rough time with that.
Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Tots thanks for doing this! I have a few questions.
Has it been your experience that the environment is as collaborative/collegial as the admissions people present it to be?
Do you have any advice for living in Hyde Park (e.g. location)?
Do you have any advice for diving into anatomy right off the bat? I have a friend who had a rough time with that.
Thanks!

1) I don't know how the admissions people are selling the collegiality, so somewhat hard to comment. If its in regards to having a cohesive class that are supportive of each other, then yes its true. My classmates are the best part of Pritzker, hands down (and now most of them are about to graduate without me :'( ). The class size is small and you spend a lot of time with each other, especially in third year where you may spend 10 hours a day working closely with the same student. Your classmates will be inspiring and just being around them will make you a better person/future doctor/etc (or at least that has been my experience).

2) I lived in Regents the first year with 3 other MS1s. It was a good place for first year since I wasn't very familiar with Hyde Park or Chicago. About half my class lived there in the first year also so it was convenient. Many people move their second year to somewhere else in Hyde Park or South Loop (and occasionally farther north). Hyde Park is small and so anywhere in Hyde Park will likely be fine. Some people also live just south of the midway which is a good option for cheaper rent.

The nicest area of Hyde Park (and most expensive area) is between the Metra tracks and the lake. Some of the cheaper areas are near Cottage Grove, which is where I lived for years 2 and 3.

3) Don't bother preparing beforehand. Show up ready to learn, put in time up front in the anatomy lab initially and it will pay off.

Edit: Also regarding anatomy, my best advice would be figure out how you learn best and go with it. Give attending every lecture a shot but if its not working for you, then try other things. Just don't fall into the trap of not going to lecture so you can sleep more, etc. :p For some people (myself included) lab was really helpful and helped me really learn the material, other people put in their time and then peace'd out when they could because it wasn't that helpful for their learning style. You do you.

1) I don't know how the admissions people are selling the collegiality, so somewhat hard to comment. If its in regards to having a cohesive class that are supportive of each other, then yes its true. My classmates are the best part of Pritzker, hands down (and now most of them are about to graduate without me :'( ). The class size is small and you spend a lot of time with each other, especially in third year where you may spend 10 hours a day working closely with the same student. Your classmates will be inspiring and just being around them will make you a better person/future doctor/etc (or at least that has been my experience).

2) I lived in Regents the first year with 3 other MS1s. It was a good place for first year since I wasn't very familiar with Hyde Park or Chicago. About half my class lived there in the first year also so it was convenient. Many people move their second year to somewhere else in Hyde Park or South Loop (and occasionally farther north). Hyde Park is small and so anywhere in Hyde Park will likely be fine. Some people also live just south of the midway which is a good option for cheaper rent.

The nicest area of Hyde Park (and most expensive area) is between the Metra tracks and the lake. Some of the cheaper areas are near Cottage Grove, which is where I lived for years 2 and 3.

3) Don't bother preparing beforehand. Show up ready to learn, put in time up front in the anatomy lab initially and it will pay off.

Edit: Also regarding anatomy, my best advice would be figure out how you learn best and go with it. Give attending every lecture a shot but if its not working for you, then try other things. Just don't fall into the trap of not going to lecture so you can sleep more, etc. :p For some people (myself included) lab was really helpful and helped me really learn the material, other people put in their time and then peace'd out when they could because it wasn't that helpful for their learning style. You do you.
Thanks so much for your answers! It's great to hear that the class is so awesome, and I appreciate the comments on everything else as well!

Do first years get a spring break?

Just wanted to say that Pritzker revisit this weekend was a blast! The weather was gorgeous, the revisiters were treated like royalty, and everyone there - admin, faculty, and current students - really sold the school with both objective and subjective considerations. It was clear that everyone there genuinely loved Pritzker and really enjoyed their time in the med school.

Pritzker's revisit parody video is hilarious! I've linked it below because it's a bit hard to find on YouTube.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to say that Pritzker revisit this weekend was a blast! The weather was gorgeous, the revisiters were treated like royalty, and everyone there - admin, faculty, and current students - really sold the school with both objective and subjective considerations. It was clear that everyone there genuinely loved Pritzker and really enjoyed their time in the med school.

Pritzker's revisit parody video is hilarious! I've linked it below because it's a bit hard to find on YouTube.

How many students were at revisit?

That seems less if the class size is 88 students.. did they tell you how many people were expected to come/accepted?

I don't know exactly what number were expected to come, but last year they had 125 and of those, 90 ended up matriculating. So if similar percentages this year, then they will draw from the waitlist. Additionally, they said "there are a people on the continued list that we hope to be able to accept," which seemed like kind of a strange statement, but I guess that supports this idea too.

I don't know exactly what number were expected to come, but last year they had 125 and of those, 90 ended up matriculating. So if similar percentages this year, then they will draw from the waitlist. Additionally, they said "there are a people on the continued list that we hope to be able to accept," which seemed like kind of a strange statement, but I guess that supports this idea too.

A number of people at SLW were also deciding between Pritzker and another school, so it's not as if everyone who attended is sure to matriculate. There also probably are accepted students who are sure to matriculate but didn't attend SLW, for any number of reasons.

The overenrollment last year probably made the admissions committee more cautious in extending acceptances this year. So, if they said they will pull people from the continued list, then they probably mean it.

A number of people at SLW were also deciding between Pritzker and another school, so it's not as if everyone who attended is sure to matriculate. There also probably are accepted students who are sure to matriculate but didn't attend SLW, for any number of reasons.

The overenrollment last year probably made the admissions committee more cautious in extending acceptances this year. So, if they said they will pull people from the continued list, then they probably mean it.

Did they say when they might start pulling people from the continued list?

Did they say when they might start pulling people from the continued list?

I didn't hear anything from admissions explicitly, but SDN shows that a few people have already been pulled from the continued list (check in the last few pages of this thread)

Hello Everyone,

First off, I just want to congratulate everyone on an amazing cycle.

I have a quick question, has anyone still not received their financial aid award from Pritzker? I completed my FAFSA in December and the Pritzker application in March when I was accepted but still no word. Just curious if anyone was in the same boat, thanks all!

any updates from anyone here? anyone call to ask about movement from the continued list?

Hello Everyone,

First off, I just want to congratulate everyone on an amazing cycle.

I have a quick question, has anyone still not received their financial aid award from Pritzker? I completed my FAFSA in December and the Pritzker application in March when I was accepted but still no word. Just curious if anyone was in the same boat, thanks all!

I'm still waiting to hear too. I emailed them Friday, I'll let ya know if they say anything.

Just got accepted by phone/email with 180k scholarship! 99% chance will matriculate!

Reactions: 9 users
Who called you? Any info on movement? Are they expecting more to come off the continued list?

Talked to one of my interviewers (not an admissions person), I picked up the phone so I dunno about voicemails...

Sorry didn't get any info about list movement....

My friend was also accepted today with a scholarship! So happy!

Reactions: 4 users