2016-2017 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if we are supposed to get a reply (email) acknowledging that UCF COM admissions personnel received the CRF and the State Residency Classification after being submitted through email?

I sent mine last week and haven't received anything in reply. I want to make sure is not a computer glitch or anything of that nature.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did ucf drop in the us news ranking this year? I remember them previously being ranked similarly to usf, but now when I check their ranking is unpublished. I know rankings arnt everything, but I wonder the reason for their regression.

Did ucf drop in the us news ranking this year? I remember them previously being ranked similarly to usf, but now when I check their ranking is unpublished. I know rankings arnt everything, but I wonder the reason for their regression.
Yeah, they were about 80-90 in one category last year.

Members don't see this ad :)

I thought an unpublished ranking results from them not submitting the data required for ranking? Like an "opt-out" sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I thought an unpublished ranking results from them not submitting the data required for ranking? Like an "opt-out" sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Those magazines and their "rankings" are suspect and have little real meaning except for magazine profits. They use data that are not entirely accurate and categories that are questionable. The magazines ask for data from med schools rather than the source of true admissions data, the AAMC. Requesting data directly from a medical school depends upon a school to provide accurate data. Is that like leaving a fox in charge of the chickens? Med schools have been howling for years how bad those magazine are, but they are big money to the magazines who are preying on hungry pre-meds who do not know any better.

Reactions: 7 users
UCF's match list hasn't been posted yet, but I know they did awesome this year:clap: Congratulations to the new grads.

Reactions: 1 users
Has the "Not yet accepted list" officially transitioned into a "waitlist" ?

I am looking for a current or past UCF student has posted any information regarding their experience, pros and cons, and other useful information that we might not find just looking at the COM website. I've looked through this thread but haven't found anything similar. If anyone here has seen something similar, can you respond or tag me? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
+1

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile app
Lots of travel keeping me from getting to the update. The committee has finished their business to all is now a wait list, no more adding people to the list. By and large all have maintained or gained in position in the upper and middle 1/3's. I can hopefully get some updates out later today and may tonight if all goes well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did post a synopsis match list at the accepted student FB page that I am also posting here until I can get you the detail.

Spectacular Match Day:

Anesth - 7, Derm - 6, EM - 9, Fam Med - 3, Int Med 19, Med-Peds - 2, N Surg - 1, Neuro - 2, OB - 12, Ortho - 5, Oto - 1, Path - 3, Peds - 10, Plast Surg - 1, Psych - 5, Rad Onc - 1, Diag Rad - 9, Gen Surg - 5, Ophthal - 4, Urol - 4, Vasc Surg - 2

Matched to: UAB, Vandy, Mt Sinai-NY, Emory, Brown, UC-SD, Chi Med, UCLA, Carolinas Med, Kaiser Perm-SD, Baylor, Wash U, LSU, Tulane, Dartmouth, Stanford, Einstein-NY, U Cincy, U Roch, Mayo-MN, Ichan-NY, UC-Davis, Yale, J Hopk, U Mich, Harvard, Beth Isr-NY, Pitt, Northwestern, Hofstra, U Colorado, MUSC, UAZ (many multiples of the above) and others; of course multiples to UCF, UF, USF.

You can also go to www.med.ucf.edu and scroll down to see match and other info, you can search for "match" here as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Where do we send an update letter to and a letter of intent to?

REL advised us against this during the interview. If you really feel the need to write one though I'm sure you can find an email or mailing address on the UCF COM website.

Edit: IIRC it was the letter of intent, not the update letter, that REL discouraged.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would upload a PDF update to your UCF web application portal. The update speaks for itself. It lets UCF know you're interested.

The letter will do you no good. Your position on the list is finite and you only move up as each individual ahead of you on the list forfeits their offer of acceptance after receiving said offer. I'm not trying to sound harsh or brash, just wanted to let you know how UCF's waitlist operates so that you don't get your hopes up.

UCF-Hospital-1024x626.jpg

Unanimously APPROVED by Florida BOG....another huge step in the short history of UCF COM! “In the United States and around the world, the best health systems have an academic component at their heart and the best medical schools have hospitals,”....... search UCF Hospital for more details.....planned to open in 2020.

UCF-Hospital-1024x626.jpg

Unanimously APPROVED by Florida BOG....another huge step in the short history of UCF COM! “In the United States and around the world, the best health systems have an academic component at their heart and the best medical schools have hospitals,”....... search UCF Hospital for more details.....planned to open in 2020.
That's amazing! So will this hospital be available for 3rd or 4th year students of the class of 2021 to rotate at?

That's amazing! So will this hospital be available for 3rd or 4th year students of the class of 2021 to rotate at?

I do not know....my GUESS is that it will take a year or two to be fully up for training students because it may take several months to achieve a strong patient census???

Here is a link with some more info:

UCF Hospital Unanimously Approved by Florida Board of Governor’s | KnightNews.com

According to figures in this article, it looks like opening year they expect 36 M3 students and 110 M4 students will rotate here. Rotations would be available in IM, surg, OB/GYN, radiology, path, and EM.

If the opening is in 2020, perhaps there is a chance that the class of 2021 will be able to rotate there during the M4 year. Residency seems farther out though - 15 years out according to this source.

Have y'all heard from Financial Services about aid yet? I was hoping to hear before Second Look and am curious about the progress that's been made

UCF Match List - March 2017

U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Anesthesiology BIRMINGHAM AL
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Anesthesiology NASHVILLE TN
U Oklahoma COM-OK City Anesthesiology OKLAHOMA CITY OK
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Anesthesiology NASHVILLE TN
U Oklahoma COM-OK City Anesthesiology OKLAHOMA CITY OK
Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Anesthesiology NEW YORK NY
Emory Univ SOM-GA Anesthesiology ATLANTA GA

UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Dermatology SAN DIEGO CA
Rhode Island Hosp/Brown Univ Dermatology PROVIDENCE RI
Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ-MN Dermatology ROCHESTER MN
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL Dermatology CHICAGO IL
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Dermatology GAINESVILLE FL
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA Dermatology TORRANCE CA

Mt Sinai Med Ctr-Miami-FL Emergency Medicine MIAMI BEACH FL
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC Emergency Medicine CHARLOTTE NC
Orlando Health-FL Emergency Medicine ORLANDO FL
Madigan Army Medical Center Emergency Medicine Tacoma WA
Kaiser Permanente-San Diego-CA Emergency Medicine SAN DIEGO CA
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC Emergency Medicine CHARLOTTE NC
Vidant Med Ctr/East Carolina Univ-NC Emergency Medicine GREENVILLE NC
Baylor-Scott & White-TX Emergency Medicine TEMPLE TX
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Emergency Medicine BIRMINGHAM AL

East Tennessee St Univ Family Med/Bristol BRISTOL TN
Providence Hospital-AK Family Medicine ANCHORAGE AK
Halifax Med Ctr-FL Family Medicine DAYTONA BEACH FL

Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Gen Surgery/Academic HOUSTON TX
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas General Surgery DALLAS TX
Memorial Health-Univ Med Ctr-GA General Surgery SAVANNAH GA
U Tennessee COM-Memphis General Surgery MEMPHIS TN
Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ-MN General Surgery ROCHESTER MN
Penn State Hersey Med Ctr-PA Gen Surgery-Preliminary Pittsburgh PA

U Texas Med Sch-Houston Internal Medicine HOUSTON TX
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Internal Medicine GAINESVILLE FL
Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO Internal Medicine ST LOUIS MO
LSUHSC-Shreveport-LA Internal Medicine SHREVEPORT LA
Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr-CA Internal Medicine TORRANCE CA
U South Florida Morsani COM-Tampa Internal Medicine TAMPA FL
Brooklyn Hosp Ctr-NY Internal Medicine BROOKLYN NY
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Internal Medicine BIRMINGHAM AL
Greenville Health Sys/Univ of So Carolina Internal Medicine GREENVILLE SC
Orlando Health-FL Internal Medicine ORLANDO FL
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Internal Medicine BIRMINGHAM AL
Stanford Univ Progs-CA Internal Medicine STANFORD CA
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Internal Medicine GAINESVILLE FL
Montefiore Med Ctr/Einstein-NY Internal Medicine BRONX NY
U Washington Affil Hosps Internal Medicine SEATTLE WA
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Med Ctr-NH Internal Medicine LEBANON NH
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Internal Medicine-Preliminary HOUSTON TX

Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Medicine-Pediatrics NASHVILLE TN
U Cincinnati Med Ctr-OH Medicine-Pediatrics CINCINNATI OH

U Rochester/Strong Memorial-NY Neurological Surgery ROCHESTER NY

Montefiore Med Ctr/Einstein-NY Neurology BRONX NY
Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL Neurology CHICAGO IL

UCF COM/GME Consortium-FL Ob-Gyn/Kissimmee KISSIMMEE FL
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med Obstetrics-Gynecology INDIANAPOLIS IN
Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ-MN Obstetrics-Gynecology ROCHESTER MN
Orlando Health-FL Obstetrics-Gynecology ORLANDO FL
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology NEW ORLEANS LA
Orlando Health-FL Obstetrics-Gynecology ORLANDO FL
Loyola Univ Med Ctr-IL Obstetrics-Gynecology MAYWOOD IL
Rush University Med Ctr-IL Obstetrics-Gynecology CHICAGO IL
U Utah Affil Hospitals Obstetrics-Gynecology SALT LAKE CITY UT
Brown U/Womens & Infants Hosp of RI Obstetrics-Gynecology PROVIDENCE RI
Greenville Health Sys/Univ of So Carolina Obstetrics-Gynecology GREENVILLE SC
Texas Tech U Affil-Amarillo Obstetrics-Gynecology AMARILLO TX

Kresge Eye Institute, Wayne State University Ophthalmology DETROIT MI
Storm Eye Institute, Medical University of South Carolina Ophthalmology CHARLESTON SC
University of Colorado School of Medicine Ophthalmology DENVER CO
William Beaumont Hospital Ophthalmology ROYAL OAK MI

Marshall University SOM-WV Orthopaedic Surgery HUNTINGTON WV
West Virginia University SOM Orthopaedic Surgery MORGANTOWN WV
Loma Linda University-CA Orthopaedic Surgery LOMA LINDA CA
Montefiore Med Ctr/Einstein-NY Orthopaedic Surgery BRONX NY
U Arizona COM at Tucson Orthopaedic Surgery TUCSON AZ

Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai-NY Otolaryngology NEW YORK NY

U South Florida Morsani COM-Tampa Pathology TAMPA FL
B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Pathology BOSTON MA
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Pathology SAN DIEGO CA

Kaiser Permanente-Oakland-CA Pediatrics OAKLAND CA
UC Davis Med Ctr-CA Pediatrics SACRAMENTO CA
Oregon Health & Science Univ Pediatrics PORTLAND OR
Rush University Med Ctr-IL Pediatrics CHICAGO IL
U South Florida Morsani COM-Tampa Pediatrics TAMPA FL
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med Pediatrics INDIANAPOLIS IN
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Pediatrics NEW HAVEN CT
Indiana Univ Sch Of Med Pediatrics INDIANAPOLIS IN
Johns Hopkins All Childrens Hosp-FL Pediatrics ST PETERSBURG FL
Hofstra Northwell SOM-Cohen Childrens-NY Pediatrics-Preliminary NEW HYDE PARK NY

U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor Plastic Surgery (Integrated) ANN ARBOR MI

Icahn SOM St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Psychiatry NEW YORK NY
Mayo Clinic School of Grad Med Educ-MN Psychiatry ROCHESTER MN
Oregon Health & Science Univ Psychiatry PORTLAND OR
Icahn SOM Beth Israel-NY Psychiatry NEW YORK NY
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Psychiatry HOUSTON TX

UPMC Medical Education-PA Radiation Oncology Pittsburgh PA

Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL Radiology-Diagnostic CHICAGO IL
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Radiology-Diagnostic GAINESVILLE FL
Hofstra Northwell SOM-Lenox Hill Hosp-NY Radiology-Diagnostic NEW YORK NY
U Southern California Radiology-Diagnostic LOS ANGELES CA
Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Radiology-Diagnostic NEW HAVEN CT
Memorial Health-Univ Med Ctr-GA Radiology-Diagnostic SAVANNAH GA
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Radiology-Diagnostic GAINESVILLE FL
Rochester Gen Hosp-NY Radiology-Diagnostic ROCHESTER NY
U Colorado SOM-Denver Radiology-Diagnostic AURORA CO

U Missouri School of Medicine Urology COLUMBIA MO
Hofstra Northwell SOM-NY Urology NEW HYDE PARK NY
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Urology SAN DIEGO CA
U South Florida Morsani COM-Tampa Urology TAMPA FL

Medical University of SC Vascular Surgery CHARLESTON SC
U Arizona COM at Tucson Vascular Surgery TUCSON AZ

I was really impressed with UCF's Step 1 averages and was wondering if any current med student would be able to comment if you think there's something particular about the curriculum or otherwise that has produced these great scores? Thanks.

Does UCF offer a sponsored health insurance plan? Is this included in the student fees and such and how much does it cost?

has anyone heard from admissions how they expect the waitlist will move this year in comparison to previous years? or when it will get going?
Since traffic day is always on April 30, I would expect that the waitlist will probably move significantly after that.

has anyone heard from admissions how they expect the waitlist will move this year in comparison to previous years? or when it will get going?
I believe @REL has said the waitlist is expected to be similar to the past 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I am on the waitlist. My position on the wait list - lower half of the upper 1/3rd.
What position on the waitlist being accepted at this time please.

Last edited:
You are correct! We will begin to activate the wait list today; right on schedule! Welcome to UCF!
Hi REl
Up to what portion of the wait list is activated today please. Any approximate date when the lower half of upper 1/3rd[ near to the middle of the upper 3rd] list will be activated.
Thanks

Hi everyone, good luck on your apps!
I notice that the two character letters can be from friends, neighbors, etc. One of mine will be from a doctor who I shadowed and know well, but would it be weird if the other is from my husband (who is a chiropractor)? He knows me better than anyone else but not sure how this would look on an application. My other option is a close friend that is a nurse practitioner and another who is a podiatrist. I'm curious if the status of the person makes a difference? Thanks!

Hi everyone, good luck on your apps!
I notice that the two character letters can be from friends, neighbors, etc. One of mine will be from a doctor who I shadowed and know well, but would it be weird if the other is from my husband (who is a chiropractor)? He knows me better than anyone else but not sure how this would look on an application. My other option is a close friend that is a nurse practitioner and another who is a podiatrist. I'm curious if the status of the person makes a difference? Thanks!
Please do not include letters from family. I think that this is noted at www.med.ucf.edu/admissions.

Just ACCEPTED from the lower half of the upper third waitlist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first choice school :biglove: Wishing everyone else the best of luck as the waitlist continues to move.

Reactions: 5 users