2016-2017 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was certain there would be some type of notifications going out this week...sounds like no one has heard anything but crickets....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was certain there would be some type of notifications going out this week...sounds like no one has heard anything but crickets....
We have continued to offer seats and invite for interview at the normal weekly pace. As for EFI status, updates are added to your file immediately and are seen by committee as they select the next group. Also EFI is a near terminal status and is defined on your UCF Dashboard in more detail.

Waiting is difficult and it appears that nothing is happening.....but it is.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Just going out on a long shot here. Congrats to everyone on here making it thus far! :) Current third year undergrad student getting ready to take my MCAT in May and hopefully apply in June. You can see why my anxiety is already kicking in :) Anyway, im nervous about my MCAT. But besides that..I know UCF is big on research. I was wondering if that would help my application a lot?? I have a tremendous amount of research to put on my application like posters, presenting at a conference, papers etc... Just really want to know. This is my number one choice school and I am probably already assuming the worst for my exam.

Hey everyone! Just going out on a long shot here. Congrats to everyone on here making it thus far! :) Current third year undergrad student getting ready to take my MCAT in May and hopefully apply in June. You can see why my anxiety is already kicking in :) Anyway, im nervous about my MCAT. But besides that..I know UCF is big on research. I was wondering if that would help my application a lot?? I have a tremendous amount of research to put on my application like posters, presenting at a conference, papers etc... Just really want to know. This is my number one choice school and I am probably already assuming the worst for my exam.

Research almost always helps. However, unless you're applying to the MD/PhD combined degree, you don't want to be too research focused so definitely make some time for clinical volunteering and physician shadowing.

Good luck on the MCAT!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just came across a remarkable statistic about UCF. Is it true the average graduate here leaves with only about 13k in debt?????

Just came across a remarkable statistic about UCF. Is it true the average graduate here leaves with only about 13k in debt?????
Err the MSAR has it at $138,728.

(I like your number better)

Err the MSAR has it at $138,728.

(I like your number better)

Haha well unfortunately in terms of credibility, Id put MSAR over Startclass. Thought it was too good to be true still 140 is not bad at all..

Haha well unfortunately in terms of credibility, Id put MSAR over Startclass. Thought it was too good to be true still 140 is not bad at all..
Good Man! So there is no authority out there beyond AAMC/MSAR stats -- they get all of the real stats because they run the application process. All of the magazines earn big bucks on their med school issues. They get their data directly medical programs; ie. "medical school derived," therefore questionable in nature? The magazine process of determining the "best" is seriously flawed. Do your own research, spend the time (not your money) to determine which schools appears to fit your goals. Visit those schools; observe and talk to their students.

When in the application phase never turn down an interview unless you really KNOW that program and KNOW that it is not for you. Do not depend upon here say, you need to experience it for yourself. You may be very surprised at what your find, and feel, when you visit a program. In Florida we have seven MD programs that can get it done for you if you do your part. Which is the best? That answer may be different for each person. You may be very surprised to know that based on outcome data, the schools that you think may be near the top may not rank highly at all.

Do not base your decision solely on cost. While important there are many other priorities that should be higher. A $10k per year difference is not much of a difference in the scheme of things. Pay particular attention to the "cost of attendance" figures of each program -- they all uses a different basis for computing their stats. They want to appear as inexpensive a possible and may cut corners on their local cost of living estimate to appear more competitive. Compare their estimated cost of attendance with their average graduating student debt numbers to see if they make sense.

Reactions: 3 users
Also EFI is a near terminal status and is defined on your UCF Dashboard in more detail
Terminal in what regard? Can you elaborate? Thanks!

Terminal in what regard? Can you elaborate? Thanks!
It basically means thats where students are placed before a possible interview selection. However, many students have such status and only the ones that the committee selects, hop on a plane for an interview ;)

How do we submit an update for UCF? Do we submit it through the Attachments tab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all- I know that UCF is receptive to update letters before your score is assigned and you're placed on the waitlist/accepted, but does anyone know if UCF is receptive to letters of intent once waitlist position has been established?

What is the difference between an open and closed interview? Does it matter? Which does UCF use?

I want to send an update with my fall semester grades and cant decide if I should attach my unofficial transcript of an update letter with the grades in them- suggestions?
I emailed myself an official transcript and then uploaded it to the attachments section. Not sure if there is a deadline in submitting the updates, though.

I emailed myself an official transcript and then uploaded it to the attachments section. Not sure if there is a deadline in submitting the updates, though.

Can I upload two documents, or does it only allow for one? Haven't uploaded anything yet, and I want to also upload my transcript. Thanks! :)

Can I upload two documents, or does it only allow for one? Haven't uploaded anything yet, and I want to also upload my transcript. Thanks! :)

I uploaded two! Both a letter and then an unofficial transcript a few weeks later! You can upload up to three documents.

You can upload a maximum of three documents to the attachments section, including updated transcripts. Additional LORs can be submitted to UCF COM through your AMCAS application.

Make it a PDF, and include your letter and transcript all in one. That way you only use up one of your possible uploads.

Last edited:
Should thank you letters be sent at all after interview day?

Nope. They were pretty adamant about that at my interview day. I definitely had the urge to, but ultimately didn't and was accepted.

+1. REL himself even said that they request we don't, it is not a "trick" or a "test" and that the interviewers have been informed they shouldn't expect thank you notes. I think they just don't want a ton of applicants spamming the physicians with multiple emails each week when they are already busy enough.

@REL It says on the website that UCF COM offers interviews up until March. So if we don't get an interview invite in the month of February, does that mean we don't have a chance. I have had an "EFI" status for the past 4 months.

Thanks

Going off of what REL has said in previous posts and from what I gathered during the interview day, I would venture to say that they will have those interviews scheduled within the next 2 weeks or so. That is just a guess, but I can assure you that there are getting very close to being done. Hopefully you will get one of those spots!

@REL It says on the website that UCF COM offers interviews up until March. So if we don't get an interview invite in the month of February, does that mean we don't have a chance. I have had an "EFI" status for the past 4 months.

Thanks

I'd say the next 2 weeks are the home stretch for receiving IIs for schools that end their interview season in March. They normally give 2-4 weeks notice for traveling. Occasionally there will be last minute cancellations and you can receive an II with 1 week notice or less. Good luck! Praying for one here as well ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how to submit an update on our dashboard? I don't see a "submit update" option or anything like that.

Does anyone know how to submit an update on our dashboard? I don't see a "submit update" option or anything like that.
Click on "Attachments", where you can upload up to 3 PDFs files. Just type up your updates and attach it!

I had an EFI status since I've been complete since july, and I checked today and its no longer there D: , has this happened to anyone else

I had an EFI status since I've been complete since july, and I checked today and its no longer there D: , has this happened to anyone else
I just checked and mine still says EFI. It's probably just a software glitch.

when does jan 20 interview group hear back

Last edited:
How many acceptances are offered per seat, typically?

are they done offering interviews?

Any light on the interview day? What faculty members do you meet with? Are most questions situational/ethics based or about the applicant? Any questions about scores/grades? Are the interviews open or closed? Hardest questions?

Any light on the interview day? What faculty members do you meet with? Are most questions situational/ethics based or about the applicant? Any questions about scores/grades? Are the interviews open or closed? Hardest questions?
Spend time going through this thread and other past UCF threads, there are some specifics in there. I'd say there's a pretty fair mix of behavioral and traditional type questions from each of your interviewers. I find googling "behavioral interview questions medical school" and writing out thoughtful responses helpful for preparing ;) I was not asked about scores or grades. The interviews are meant to be low-stress, so when your nerves (understandably) start going into over-drive, remind yourself of this.

The interviewers can be non-faculty members. The questions are what you would traditionally expect. No trick questions for me, but somebody else may have had a different experience. I don't think they have access to your grades or MCAT score, but they do have access to other parts of your application. I really did get the feeling that my interviewers were trying to make the best case for me for an acceptance. I believe they write up a report the submit to the admissions committee once they are done interviewing you, but they are not part of the admissions committee.
UCF was the most open about their admissions process, which was very refreshing. I hope more schools start to follow their lead instead of keeping applicants guessing till the end.
Best of luck. I hope the interview goes well for you.

Spend time going through this thread and other past UCF threads, there are some specifics in there. I'd say there's a pretty fair mix of behavioral and traditional type questions from each of your interviewers. I find googling "behavioral interview questions medical school" and writing out thoughtful responses helpful for preparing ;) I was not asked about scores or grades. The interviews are meant to be low-stress, so when your nerves (understandably) start going into over-drive, remind yourself of this.

Thank you! This was a great help!

The interviewers can be non-faculty members. The questions are what you would traditionally expect. No trick questions for me, but somebody else may have had a different experience. I don't think they have access to your grades or MCAT score, but they do have access to other parts of your application. I really did get the feeling that my interviewers were trying to make the best case for me for an acceptance. I believe they write up a report the submit to the admissions committee once they are done interviewing you, but they are not part of the admissions committee.
UCF was the most open about their admissions process, which was very refreshing. I hope more schools start to follow their lead instead of keeping applicants guessing till the end.
Best of luck. I hope the interview goes well for you.

Thank you! Really appreciate the help!

They said the committee meets next week, February 8th, so sometime after that.
Aw man, I thought they meet today and we find out tomorrow.

My biggest weaknesses are being too excited and mildly impatient.

Reactions: 1 users
Aw man, I thought they meet today and we find out tomorrow.

My biggest weaknesses are being too excited and mildly impatient.

Same. I'm wondering if they call the day off or slowly let people know throughout the month.