2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a full tuition merit scholarship with stipend from JMP!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Wow congratulations WhittyPsyche!!! That's so amazing, you definitely deserve it :highfive:

Must have been a bit scary to commit to UCSF before getting financial aid info, so I'm glad it all worked out in the end! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow congratulations WhittyPsyche!!! That's so amazing, you definitely deserve it :highfive:

Must have been a bit scary to commit to UCSF before getting financial aid info, so I'm glad it all worked out in the end! :)

Ehh actually it wasn't scary at all. My heart is in UCSF so I would pay to go here no prob!

How does that work for UCSF years then? Does UCSF give a separate aid package? Since it sounds like that's a Berkeley specific grant. Also would you mind sharing the name?

I had asked Tracey about scholarships after my interview, and she had mentioned two full tuition scholarships for only the 1st year are offered. However, didn't mention anything like yours (which I understand to be potentially 3 years of full tuition plus stipend).

Sorry, I don't know know what you want me to say. I just told you what my email says.

I rather not give the name because if it is that one or two are given then I don't really have any anonymity.

Best of luck with your decision and coming off the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else go through that JMP document share from Tracey and get extremely intimidated?

First exam on the second week, weekly exams, cumulated exam in the 5th week?!

Did anyone else go through that JMP document share from Tracey and get extremely intimidated?

First exam on the second week, weekly exams, cumulated exam in the 5th week?!

Saw that and was like

FYI received the MD program Fin Aid Package. Very happy with it!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I just saw your other post. I am guessing the JMP package sucked as it wasn't in your decision for your top 3 choices.

Obviously you know full well I am biased. But I never want to be in cold w at her again, coming from New Haven in the last year. For that reason alone all the money is worth avoiding Michigan.

I came into this process expecting to follow the money, but over this long journey I've realized my happiness was more important. I had full offers elsewhere and I came to the Bay before even seeing the package because I was sure I would be the happiest here. Don't underestimate or undervalue your happiness, this process is grueling as it is.

Your worst case scenario, monetarily, is still below the national average.

In the same boat as you, not thrilled with my offer, it looks like UCSF would be my most expensive option :/

Edit: At least they let us know ahead of time that financial aid isn't very abundant here, I guess...

Also received FA package and not happy.

I just saw your other post. I am guessing the JMP package sucked as it wasn't in your decision for your top 3 choices.

Obviously you know full well I am biased. But I never want to be in cold w at her again, coming from New Haven in the last year. For that reason alone all the money is worth avoiding Michigan.

I came into this process expecting to follow the money, but over this long journey I've realized my happiness was more important. I had full offers elsewhere and I came to the Bay before even seeing the package because I was sure I would be the happiest here. Don't underestimate or undervalue your happiness, this process is grueling as it is.

Your worst case scenario, monetarily, is still below the national average.

@WhittyPsyche

My JMP package was atrocious and I will likely withdraw within the next week or so. I loved the program -- I really did. The combination of a masters project and the PBL curriculum really sold me. But I'm not willing to take on that high of a loan burden with the intent on going into academic medicine.

@WhittyPsyche

My JMP package was atrocious and I will likely withdraw within the next week or so. I loved the program -- I really did. The combination of a masters project and the PBL curriculum really sold me. But I'm not willing to take on that high of a loan burden with the intent on going into academic medicine.

Yeah the program itself is amazing. I'm actually leaning towards the USCF program for many reasons, especially if I get into PRIME there. But I'm moving into Palo Alto area, and know you're also considering Stanford. So if you want any input on the city of Palo Alto feel free to PM.

Good luck with your decision!

Edit: should say *moved* as I live in Palo Alto as of yesterday lol

Last edited:
Did you guys/gals receive e-mail notifications letting you know the aid package was available?

What do you guys know about obtaining residency for tuition purposes after the first year?
California Residency | UCSF Student Financial Aid
This link makes it seem like most students receive in-state tuition after M1, but I would be interested to hear if this is really the case for current students. After doing some research it seems like a pretty complicated process.

Yeah the program itself is amazing. I'm actually leaning towards the USCF program for many reasons, especially if I get into PRIME there. But I'm moving into Palo Alto area, and know you're also considering Stanford. So if you want any input on the city of Palo Alto feel free to PM.

Good luck with your decision!

Edit: should say *moved* as I live in Palo Alto as of yesterday lol

You're commuting all the way up to SF from PA??

What do you guys know about obtaining residency for tuition purposes after the first year?
This link makes it seem like most students receive in-state tuition after M1, but I would be interested to hear if this is really the case for current students. After doing some research it seems like a pretty complicated process.

I spoke to faculty and students and it sounds pretty simple, all the >M2s had it done.

It's probably harder for students that continue to be claimed as dependents by their parents and/or use their parents' permanent address. I am getting my license transferred this week, and my car registration as well. I can't see any reason why after a year with a California drivers license, registration, etc it would be hard to be approved.

You're commuting all the way up to SF from PA??

Yeah I will. I did the commute 5 times when I was here a few weeks ago at varying times around rush hours and it was a very quick and easy drive. I'm from D.C. Where you take 2 hours to go 30 miles, bumper to bumper. So that commute is like heaven, great views too!

This was the best case scenario for my family, with my kids being school aged and having a dog. Both my interviewers also live in PA and encouraged it too, then I found the perfect house and it was a done deal lol.

Yeah I will. I did the commute 5 times when I was here a few weeks ago at varying times around rush hours and it was a very quick and easy drive. I'm from D.C. Where you take 2 hours to go 30 miles, bumper to bumper. So that commute is like heaven, great views too!

This was the best case scenario for my family, with my kids being school aged and having a dog. Both my interviewers also live in PA and encouraged it too, then I found the perfect house and it was a done deal lol.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah PA is definitely a great place to raise kids, and the drive to SF is beautiful! I've lived ~15 mins from PA almost my whole life and absolutely love it, so I get where you're coming from

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah PA is definitely a great place to raise kids, and the drive to SF is beautiful! I've lived ~15 mins from PA almost my whole life and absolutely love it, so I get where you're coming from

Yes it is. Kids school has across the board 10/10 ratings and the neighborhood is beautiful. Worth the commute to me!

I was really hoping for campus housing, but didn't realize there was no pet policy.

As far as I'm aware, everyone in my class (rising MS3s) who applied to be considered in-state was able to do so after first year.

As far as I'm aware, everyone in my class (rising MS3s) who applied to be considered in-state was able to do so after first year.
I've heard otherwise. Since it's a public school they are very strict and have some stringent requirements to be considered in-state

Last edited:
I've heard otherwise. Since it's a public school they are very strict and have some astringent requirements to be considered in-state

Some public schools are strict, but (imo) CA schools aren't as picky as they honestly should be. My understanding is that you have to do things like switching over your voter status, driver's license, income tax filing, etc. - all things you should honestly have to do if you want to claim California residency. A quick google search shows this form as being what you have to fill out; it lays out what qualifies as intent to establish CA residency in the last few pages.

Like I said, all my classmates that I've talked to about it were able to do so, and there are multiple workshops held by the school to lay out what's required. :shrug: I'm pretty sure that if most people were denied reclassification, there would have been some angry backlash from my OOS classmates on our private FB page if nothing else.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry, I know I should let it go but...

some astringent requirements

I suspect you mean that they have some stringent requirements. If they have some astringent requirements ("causing the contraction of body tissues, typically skin") that really does sound very unpleasant.

Given the above conversations, it seems like there may be some movement on the JMP waitlist. Do you know how it works if mid-April or say on April 29th, someone gets off the waitlist but doesn't have their financial aid package yet? Do they still only have til April 30th to decide (and may have to potentially forfeit that acceptance of the waitlist given they can't make an informed decision)?

Given the above conversations, it seems like there may be some movement on the JMP waitlist. Do you know how it works if mid-April or say on April 29th, someone gets off the waitlist but doesn't have their financial aid package yet? Do they still only have til April 30th to decide (and may have to potentially forfeit that acceptance of the waitlist given they can't make an informed decision)?

They give you a new deadline. It is school dependent. Some might say two weeks, some might say two days. Some may let you wait for financial aid, others may not.

In any case, if people withdraw for the deadline of April 30th it would likely take a week or two for first notifications for waitlist applicants.

This is slightly off topic, but I am planning on being a re-applicant this upcoming cycle. Did anyone in a similar position use the optional essay to explain why they are a re-applicant, and how they've improved (especially on the activities front)? Or is this essay strictly an activities essay?

This is slightly off topic, but I am planning on being a re-applicant this upcoming cycle. Did anyone in a similar position use the optional essay to explain why they are a re-applicant, and how they've improved (especially on the activities front)? Or is this essay strictly an activities essay?

I wouldn't recommend writing an essay that doesn't fit the prompt, personally. I assume you'd be including all your improvements in your second application, since that'd increase your chances of getting a secondary anyway, so it's not like they won't see them.

If you do choose to write something, I'd leave the reapplicant bit out of it at least to try to stay true to the prompt and use the space to "expand on activities" as necessary.

Congrats! So which one are you going to opt for?

Likely UCSF. But going to both second looks to be sure. The scholarship from JMP is amaze, but the medicine grant from UCSF covers tuition and a little extra that basically equals the merit scholarship + stipend offer.

Love both programs but, already relocated to Palo Alto, so UCSF proper is more convenient for commuting and research involvement with faculty.

Loved it. Amazing students and amazing admits.

Withdrew from JMP (and JMP PRIME) today. GL everyone on waitlist!

Every day feels more and more agonizing. Can't May 1st come any sooner? :dead:

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone picked UCSF over UCLA or UCSD? Please send me any input that put you over the edge. Having the hardest time deciding between these schools and the clock is ticking. :(

Has anyone picked UCSF over UCLA or UCSD? Please send me any input that put you over the edge. Having the hardest time deciding between these schools and the clock is ticking. :(

I picked UCSF over UCSD back during my cycle, mostly because location was #1 for me and I wanted to be in NorCal. That being said, I'd recommend looking into how all 3 of those schools do 3rd year if you can find that information - if I knew UCSF's policies beforehand, I probably would've at least considered UCSD a lot more than I did.

I picked UCSF over UCSD back during my cycle, mostly because location was #1 for me and I wanted to be in NorCal. That being said, I'd recommend looking into how all 3 of those schools do 3rd year if you can find that information - if I knew UCSF's policies beforehand, I probably would've at least considered UCSD a lot more than I did.

What specifically would you suggest we look out for in 3rd year policies?

What specifically would you suggest we look out for in 3rd year policies?

Just to see if you like them, honestly. Like for me, location was #1, so finding out after making the commitment that most med students here have to do a rotation in Fresno was disappointing (not to mention that it was annoying that they'd tried to hide this). Not necessarily a deal breaker, but would've been nice to make the decision of whether I was willing to risk that myself.

Just see if it's how you'd want to do 3rd year - would be a good tiebreaker between schools imo.

Just to see if you like them, honestly. Like for me, location was #1, so finding out after making the commitment that most med students here have to do a rotation in Fresno was disappointing (not to mention that it was annoying that they'd tried to hide this). Not necessarily a deal breaker, but would've been nice to make the decision of whether I was willing to risk that myself.

Just see if it's how you'd want to do 3rd year - would be a good tiebreaker between schools imo.

is there anything else you felt that UCSF might not excel at? or caused you to have doubts?

is there anything else you felt that UCSF might not excel at? or caused you to have doubts?

The whole 3rd year organization & how they assign sites is probably the biggest thing, and I know our class met with the deans to try and make it less awful, so maybe it'll be better for future classes. :thinking: There's also a ridiculous amount of small group required 1st 2 years, so if you're not a fan of having to be on campus almost every day, that might be a factor too.

There are a lot of things I love about the school, but it does have its weaknesses (especially on the administrative end).