2016-2017 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also received a kind email congratulating me on my acceptance from one of my interviewers. The person wrote "I very much hope you will accept", which immediately triggered my "Don't they already know I accepted? Because I definitely accepted...unless I did it wrong" anxiety :D Still, instead of writing any of that I just thanked the person for the pleasant conversation and said I'm looking forward to enrolling.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also received a kind email congratulating me on my acceptance from one of my interviewers. The person wrote "I very much hope you will accept", which immediately triggered my "Don't they already know I accepted? Because I definitely accepted...unless I did it wrong" anxiety :D Still, instead of writing any of that I just thanked the person for the pleasant conversation and said I'm looking forward to enrolling.

Lol I think they meant they hope you not only accept but choose UCSF over your other choices. My email talked about a class she teaches that we discussed and meeting my children. So I think they most definitely mean "pull the trigger!" Lol

Congrats btw!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
So how sure are we that second look weekend is April 22-23? I have yet to receive any communication from UCSF about it, but flights are starting to go up so I was thinking of trying to buy soon. Thanks!

So how sure are we that second look weekend is April 22-23? I have yet to receive any communication from UCSF about it, but flights are starting to go up so I was thinking of trying to buy soon. Thanks!

I got a phone call yesterday from a student and they said April 21-23rd. There are events on Friday apparently.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a phone call yesterday from a student and they said April 21-23rd. There are events on Friday apparently.

Yes - historically ASW runs from Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon, though you certainly aren't required to attend all the events. For those of you curious about exact timing/etc., I imagine you could always ask for more information on FB to get a rough idea until the schedule is ready to be shared.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding UCSF vs. Penn, not considering tuition?
Wow that's a tough decision, but congrats on getting into both! I don't know enough about Penn to offer any advice, but you should post a thread in the new "School X vs Y" subforum, you'll get a lot of great feedback there!

Congrats on the prime interview WhittyPsyche! Hmm, let's see how many times one person can get into UCSF ;)

Confirming this from the phone call I received. Apparently events run Friday afternoon-Sunday morning, if like me you need to book your tickets and don't want to miss out.

Does anyone know approximately when financial package starts coming out? :)

Fin. aid announcements will be on April 21st!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed on 2/14 heard back?
The anxiety is starting to get pretty real haha

Interviewed on 1/31 and haven't heard yet, for whatever that's worth...

Interviewed on 1/31 and haven't heard yet, for whatever that's worth...

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm not sure how the march 15 "deadline" works but I thought we were supposed to hear back by today.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm not sure how the march 15 "deadline" works but I thought we were supposed to hear back by today.

What "deadline" do you mean? If memory serves, I got the guidance of roughly "early march" for hearing back....is that what you're referring to?

I think the waiting is taking months off my life...

What "deadline" do you mean? If memory serves, I got the guidance of roughly "early march" for hearing back....is that what you're referring to?

I think the waiting is taking months off my life...

If anyone else knows more and can shed light on this date, it would be greatly appreciated!

But it was mentioned on another forum that schools have until March 15th to give out at least as many acceptances as they have spots for their incoming class. I looked this up too and it was confirmed on the AAMC website.

"By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."

But I'm not sure if this is a hard and fast rule, or just a soft deadline.

If anyone else knows more and can shed light on this date, it would be greatly appreciated!

But it was mentioned on another forum that schools have until March 15th to give out at least as many acceptances as they have spots for their incoming class. I looked this up too and it was confirmed on the AAMC website.

"By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."

But I'm not sure if this is a hard and fast rule, or just a soft deadline.

That deadline is true, but that doesn't say anything about whether or not you, individually, should have heard back today.

Since schools accept more than their expected matriculating class, this is a minimum number of acceptances. They have probably met that number. How many more they decide to accept does not have a deadline.

Has anyone who interviewed on 2/14 heard back?
The anxiety is starting to get pretty real haha

just to put things in perspective I interviewed around that time last year and didn't hear back for probably 7-8 weeks but got in. That probably doesn't allay the anxiety much but I remember feeling certain that I was rejected because others were hearing back before me (that interviewed around the same time). I guess my point is you'll only put yourself through more suffering if you start to compare yourself to others haha

Reactions: 2 users
Really thought this week was going to be another Adcom decision week... this waiting is brutal!

Really thought this week was going to be another Adcom decision week... this waiting is brutal!

Any clue how often they batch up decisions and send them out? The uncertainty is pretty rough...

Any clue how often they batch up decisions and send them out? The uncertainty is pretty rough...

During my interview they said the adcom meets every other week. Looks like the last reported acceptance on SDN was on the 3rd

WL by e-mail this evening 6 PM PST. LizzyM 74, IS, interviewed in February. Congratulations to all those accepted!

Accepted!!!!!! Absolutely cannot believe it, this is my dream school :soexcited: Definitely matriculating here, can't wait to meet y'all during second look!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!!!!! Absolutely cannot believe it, this is my dream school :soexcited: Definitely matriculating here, can't wait to meet y'all during second look!

Yayyyyy!!!! So happy for you!!!

Can't wait to meet you!

Was also accepted!!! This is my dream school so will definitely be attending this summer!

Interviewed 2/14

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if there's a calendar on the UCSF website somewhere? I'm trying to find information about when new first years have to be there for the fall semester...

Does anyone know if there's a calendar on the UCSF website somewhere? I'm trying to find information about when new first years have to be there for the fall semester...

First day of class is 7/31, white coat ceremony is likely the Friday of that week.

Online pre-orientation class (required) opens on 7/5 and closes before class starts.

First day of class is 7/31, white coat ceremony is likely the Friday of that week.

Online pre-orientation class (required) opens on 7/5 and closes before class starts.

Thanks!! Could you send me a link to where you found the info? I'm only able to find the calendar for 2016-2017, not 2017-2018... I might not be looking in the right place haha

Thanks!! Could you send me a link to where you found the info? I'm only able to find the calendar for 2016-2017, not 2017-2018... I might not be looking in the right place haha

That was in the accepted portal and on the FB page. You can also find start dates for all schools on MSAR.

wait guys...if I have a WL from here and I have an acceptance at another school (that I accepted to hold my place), do I forfeit UCSF? I had to hold my place elsewhere because I got accepted back in October...if I didn't hold it I would have lost my place...I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if I rescind my decision and UCSF rejects me I'll have no options. help :(

wait guys...if I have a WL from here and I have an acceptance at another school (that I accepted to hold my place), do I forfeit UCSF? I had to hold my place elsewhere because I got accepted back in October...if I didn't hold it I would have lost my place...I don't know what to do. I'm afraid if I rescind my decision and UCSF rejects me I'll have no options. help :(

You can't lose anything. You have until April 30th to make a decision. I am holding onto multiple acceptances, which means I accepted the offer. You can keep all acceptances (and waitlists) until April 30th. At that date you need to drop all acceptances except one. You can, however, continue to hold on to any number of waitlists past that date. If you receive an offer off the waitlist, you have to choose to accept the new acceptance, or decline and keep whatever acceptance you were already holding. Deadlines for post April 30th decisions vary by school. Some may tell you you have two weeks, or two days, or what have you to respond to the offer.

Thank you. Do you think the fact that I hold an acceptance elsewhere would deter an adcom from moving me off the WL? I'm starting to panic because I don't want to make a dumb mistake and lose out on my dream school...
You can't lose anything. You have until April 30th to make a decision. I am holding onto multiple acceptances, which means I accepted the offer. You can keep all acceptances (and waitlists) until April 30th. At that date you need to drop all acceptances except one. You can, however, continue to hold on to any number of waitlists past that date. If you receive an offer off the waitlist, you have to choose to accept the new acceptance, or decline and keep whatever acceptance you were already holding. Deadlines for post April 30th decisions vary by school. Some may tell you you have two weeks, or two days, or what have you to respond to the offer.

Thank you. Do you think the fact that I hold an acceptance elsewhere would deter an adcom from moving me off the WL? I'm starting to panic because I don't want to make a dumb mistake and lose out on my dream school...

Now you're being like your screen name. Relax. Having an acceptance does not prevent people from being accepted. Just stay calm, send updates if you have them, and try to be positive.

Reactions: 2 users

Seconding the user above. I (plus multiple others I knew my year) was accepted off of the waitlist while holding an acceptance elsewhere. That's not going to be the major determinant of whether you ultimately get in here. Giving up an acceptance to hope for waitlist movement is a terrible, terrible idea.

If you're concerned that UCSF might think you wouldn't choose them over this other school (ex. it's Stanford/Harvard or a cheaper state school), you could consider writing a combined update/LOI, but I think that'd rarely be necessary.

Is the new Bridges curriculum pass/fail for all 4 years? Does anyone know if there are class ranks? And are the ranks reported when applying to residency programs? Just curious how things have changed with the new curriculum

I'm only able to find the calendar for 2016-2017, not 2017-2018

Any idea when the MS2's start with the Bridges curriculum? I am trying to tentatively plan a family celebration and ideally would organize for towards the end of the summer between MS1/2.

Got a full tuition merit scholarship with stipend from JMP!

Reactions: 7 users
Woah! So many congrats! The scholarship is for all 4 years?

Thank you!

It says the amount each year has to be approved because if you get other department scholarships/grants it will decrease by the amount you received elsewhere. It mentions the master's specific grants that most students get once they decide their focus.

I'm not sure how many are given or to who. I googled the name of mine and found that all Berkeley grad students are eligible for it but have to be nominated by their department, it didn't say how many receive it campus wide.

Thank you!

It says the amount each year has to be approved because if you get other department scholarships/grants it will decrease by the amount you received elsewhere. It mentions the master's specific grants that most students get once they decide their focus.

I'm not sure how many are given or to who. I googled the name of mine and found that all Berkeley grad students are eligible for it but have to be nominated by their department, it didn't say how many receive it campus wide.

How does that work for UCSF years then? Does UCSF give a separate aid package? Since it sounds like that's a Berkeley specific grant. Also would you mind sharing the name?

I had asked Tracey about scholarships after my interview, and she had mentioned two full tuition scholarships for only the 1st year are offered. However, didn't mention anything like yours (which I understand to be potentially 3 years of full tuition plus stipend).

Rejected from JMP today. Interviewed 2/13. Still on waitlist for MD....somehow...with LM 69, non-trad IS.