2016-2017 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wishing everybody good luck tomorrow. Got to believe everything will work out in the end, no matter what news gets revealed tomorrow or Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Just waitlisted (interviewed last week).

Do they waitlist everyone they don't accept?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just waitlisted (interviewed last week).

Do they waitlist everyone they don't accept?
There have been a few rejections post-interview, according to this thread, but not many.
That was my worry too :/

Accepted!!! Interviewed last week.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my accepted application, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Rejected pre-II. Put on hold 10/7/16. Complete early August.

Rejected pre-II. Was told all interviews are completed.

"We regret to inform you that our interviews are complete"

I'm sorry to hear about rejections. It's a tough life . Keep on keeping on though .

Has anyone been rejected post interview?

I haven't been rejected (waitlisted) but I do remember Brian telling us they've become more conscientious about not waitlisting people they know they ultimately won't accept.

I haven't been rejected (waitlisted) but I do remember Brian telling us they've become more conscientious about not waitlisting people they know they ultimately won't accept.

not gonna lie it seems like the majority of people here that interviewed but weren't accepted were waitlisted rather than rejected
q_q

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
not gonna lie it seems like the majority of people here that interviewed but weren't accepted were waitlisted rather than rejected
q_q

Yeah... :'( Don't think they reject too many people post-interview. I think some stats were posted in this thread at one point on approximate fractions of acceptances, waitlists and rejections and I got the impression most people get waitlisted.

But hey, hope springs eternal!

Yeah... :'( Don't think they reject too many people post-interview. I think some stats were posted in this thread at one point on approximate fractions of acceptances, waitlists and rejections and I got the impression most people get waitlisted.

But hey, hope springs eternal!

I do know one person IRL who was rejected post-interview, but yeah, many waitlists, it seems. I'm not banking on it because they say they don't have much WL movement :/

Has anyone who interviewed for PRIME-HEq heard back about getting into the PRIME program?

Congrats! Do you remember if they said everyone would hear back even if they weren't accepted?

I'm not sure... sorry! I think their email for non-PRIME acceptances said that PRIME decisions would be finalized by mid-March though. So maybe soon.

Congrats! Do you remember if they said everyone would hear back even if they weren't accepted?
I'm not sure... sorry! I think their email for non-PRIME acceptances said that PRIME decisions would be finalized by mid-March though. So maybe soon.
Agreed, I'm not sure either. I'd imagine they'd let everyone who interviewed know (regardless of decision) but I didn't see a clear indication of that in either email :/

Has anybody received confirmation about second look? The last email I received was about RSVP'ing about a month ago.

Has anybody received confirmation about second look? The last email I received was about RSVP'ing about a month ago.
Nope! I'm still waiting for a confirmation and an email with host information.

Has anyone heard about potential merit scholarship(s) yet?

Anyone definitely going to UCSD looking for a roommate/housing?

Anyone have any tips for someone on the WL? Should I be sending updates soon..?

Anyone have any tips for someone on the WL? Should I be sending updates soon..?

According to last year's thread (namely this post and later), it looks like UCSD doesn't ask for updates until May or beyond and that it depends on waitlist movement :( I don't know if this holds for this year, though. Maybe call the office to verify?

If anyone went out to second look, I'd love to chat - wasn't able to make it (east coaster) but would really like to know some of the ins-and-outs of the day, what campus and the vibe was like, etc. Let me know! Still on the fence and would love some perspective.

If anyone went out to second look, I'd love to chat - wasn't able to make it (east coaster) but would really like to know some of the ins-and-outs of the day, what campus and the vibe was like, etc. Let me know! Still on the fence and would love some perspective.
Hey, I went to second look and would be happy to chat. PM whenever and best of luck with your decision! :)

Feel free to PM me, I went as well.

Looks like in the years past people on the waitlist were sent an 'are you still interested' email in mid April. Has anyone got it?

Looks like in the years past people on the waitlist were sent an 'are you still interested' email in mid April. Has anyone got it?

I haven't gotten it yet. I'm pretty sure we'll get that email sometime next week.

Last year, they cut half of the waitlist in June... And were totally resentful of any updates, no matter what the official line was... Their office is overworked.

I called Brian yesterday, he said about 10 were accepted off the waitlist last year. He also mentioned that there may be more movement this year but it's impossible to say before April 30th, when other schools "require" a decision from the applicants they accepted. The waitlist email says we will get an "are you still interested" email the first week of May, Brian said everyone on the waitlist should receive it.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone picked UCSD over UCLA or UCSF? Please send me any input that put you over the edge. Having the hardest time deciding between these schools and the clock is ticking. :(

Has anyone picked UCSD over UCLA or UCSF? Please send me any input that put you over the edge. Having the hardest time deciding between these schools and the clock is ticking. :(

You should definitely choose UCSF, bay area>socal ;)

I think all institutions are great, I have friends that chose each of one over the other three in the past. However you should also recognize (if you haven't already) the poster above me is on the UCSD wait list, so while they may be giving you advice, it is not exactly in an impartial manner

Has anyone on the WL gotten an update email yet? Or has anyone heard of any info on how much movement there will be this year?

Has anyone on the WL gotten an update email yet? Or has anyone heard of any info on how much movement there will be this year?
I haven't gotten one yet. I have a feeling it might get sent tomorrow. But it's just a guess idk.

Just got one and withdrew. Good luck all!

Last edited:
Has any information regarding immunizations gone out yet?

Has any information regarding immunizations gone out yet?

Nope, haven't received anything about immunizations (or otherwise) yet. On that note, did you receive any kind of "welcome to UCSD" email from the admissions office last week?

That awkward moment when you've already got housing assigned but you're still on the waitlist lol