2016-2017 University of California - Riverside Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does that mean interview invites would end around early feb?
Yes! In my interview invite e-mail it was explicitly stated that "Interviews: Held on alternate Saturday’s beginning in August and ending in February."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! In my interview invite e-mail it was explicitly stated that "Interviews: Held on alternate Saturday’s beginning in August and ending in February."
thanks mucho =) just wanted to get a sense of the general time frame for interviews!

Still holding on hope and dreaming of an II from UCR. I'm posting here for some good luck:xf: I've wanted to attend here since it was only The Haider Program!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe it!! After being waitlisted since September, I just got the acceptance email!! :clap::love::love::love::love::soexcited:

Reactions: 11 users
Does that mean interview invites would end around early feb?

Again, I can't comment about anything specific to this year, but looking back at my emails here was my timeline from last year:

Primary Application Submitted: October 6th
Request for Secondary: November 18th
February 14th: Interview Invite
March 5th: Interview
March 17th: Acceptance Decision

Hopefully this information answers some of your questions!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if UCR is flexible at all in their prereq requirements? I have 1 quarter of English and 2 of AP credit, but apparently they only accept 1 quarter of AP credit. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it at this point to sign up for a class in the spring and letting them know I'm completing that requirement, in case that may be part of the reason I haven't heard from them yet. Applying Thomas Haider btw.

Anyone know how many interview days are left? When's the last day that riverside interviews?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know if UCR is flexible at all in their prereq requirements? I have 1 quarter of English and 2 of AP credit, but apparently they only accept 1 quarter of AP credit. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it at this point to sign up for a class in the spring and letting them know I'm completing that requirement, in case that may be part of the reason I haven't heard from them yet. Applying Thomas Haider btw.
it'd be best to email them because they will let you know

i enrolled in a math class to satisfy their requirement, as it is required upon matriculation

I can't believe it!! After being waitlisted since September, I just got the acceptance email!! :clap::love::love::love::love::soexcited:
Wow congratz!!! I'm still waitlisted from September interview...but got another interview at my dream school at UCI! So hope that one works out for me...

Wow congratz!!! I'm still waitlisted from September interview...but got another interview at my dream school at UCI! So hope that one works out for me...
good luck!! and who knows when you'll get into UCR one of these days!

Congrats!!!

Still waiting for an ii here. Hoping to join you though! :)

Does anyone know how Riverside decides to give out secondaries? Is it automatic or does someone read your app and decide? Trying to decide if I've gotten any human interest from them in this process or if I just bypassed some computerized screen

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!

Still waiting for an ii here. Hoping to join you though! :)

Does anyone know how Riverside decides to give out secondaries? Is it automatic or does someone read your app and decide? Trying to decide if I've gotten any human interest from them in this process or if I just bypassed some computerized screen

Every single application is read before a secondary is sent out. There is no auto-screen at UCR, unlike many of the other UCs.

Associate Dean Schiller will tell you all this multiple times during the interview process, but if UCR shows you some love by requesting a secondary or giving an II, they truly are interested in you and think you'd be a great fit for the school. I wouldn't take that lightly - have some faith in yourself :)

Reactions: 6 users
Every single application is read before a secondary is sent out. There is no auto-screen at UCR, unlike many of the other UCs.

Associate Dean Schiller will tell you all this multiple times during the interview process, but if UCR shows you some love by requesting a secondary or giving an II, they truly are interested in you and think you'd be a great fit for the school. I wouldn't take that lightly - have some faith in yourself :)
Nice. Love that about ucr. Thanks for the info!

Anyone else checking their email obsessively hoping UCR thinks you're a rockstar?

interviewed 1/7

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone hear anything? Think they are just behind on the "in 2 weeks" deadline? Would love to know if I should chill until March or continue with this special version of insanity. :)

II just now, phone call from Dean Schiller!!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Mind posting LM and when you were complete? Are you from the IE?

Lizzy M 69, complete mid September. California resident, but not from IE.

For those of you who already jnterviewed, what was the interview like?

For those of you who already jnterviewed, what was the interview like?

Don't stress it. It's MMI, of course. There will be a presentation about the school at some point (our group's was before the interview.. not sure if that's always true). Just have to be yourself and do your best. I found everyone to be very nice and personable. Really liked the people I interviewed with as well.

Been complete since late September. The last time I called for a status update, they said a faculty member already had my file and so should expect to hear back in 2 weeks at the latest, that was 6 weeks ago. Alas, I am realizing my love for UCR is unrequited ; a love I believed to be a perfect match in terms of mission, a love based on expectations and fantasies (which inevitably leads to disappointment), a love that has been one-sided all along. I understand now, that I must let you go lest I drown in despair :whoa:

Reactions: 10 users
Are II's still being sent?

Are II's still being sent?
I talked to admissions yesterday and they said the last interview date is march 11th and they will be sending out interviews most likely till end of February

I talked to admissions yesterday and they said the last interview date is march 11th and they will be sending out interviews most likely till end of February

I'm surprised you got through! I've probably called ~12 times in the past two weeks and no one has ever picked up the phone.

Just spoke with admissions. I interviewed 1/7. Tammy said if I didn't get an acceptance, then I'm on the waitlist. From what I remember... not too many (if any) come off the waitlist. :/ She said I should expect to hear in March or April... seemed more like April.

Just spoke with admissions. I interviewed 1/7. Tammy said if I didn't get an acceptance, then I'm on the waitlist. From what I remember... not too many (if any) come off the waitlist. :/ She said I should expect to hear in March or April... seemed more like April.

ImageUploadedBySDN1486444787.074679.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone who interviewed 1/28 hear anything? I'm just curious because this is the 10th day that they mentioned they would review our apps...

Anyone who interviewed 1/28 hear anything? I'm just curious because this is the 10th day that they mentioned they would review our apps...
Not me but I highly doubt they would get back to us on the day of review.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Usually, the earliest people hear is 2 days after the committee meeting. That has been trend for many applicants.

Has anyone heard back regarding financial aid or the scholarships?

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a Facebook group for accepted students

Reactions: 1 users
I've tried calling every day this week and haven't heard anything. I.E. resident and about a 69 LM score. Still hopeful, but it's looking more and more like I'll be accepting an offer somewhere else

I've tried calling every day this week and haven't heard anything. I.E. resident and about a 69 LM score. Still hopeful, but it's looking more and more like I'll be accepting an offer somewhere else

The school is finishing up the last stages of its final LCME accreditation site-visit right now, which is probably why you haven't been able to get through to anyone. My apologies for those of you who have had to wait longer than usual to hear back about your interview/get ahold of someone on the phone. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that so you don't read too much into silence on UCR's end. Wish I could tell you more specifics, but that's all I have right now. Hang in there everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone heard back regarding financial aid or the scholarships?
I was wondering the same thing. I feel like it should be after FAFSA is filled out since some scholarships are need based. I might be wrong!

I didn't exactly know where else to post this, figured everyone here has a pretty good idea of the school. I did try to do a forum search, but couldn't find anything good for UCR. UCR is either my top choice or pretty close to it. Problem is I'm not a California resident. My wife grew up in Riverside though, she was there for 18 years. Her family is all still there and they are amazing and I'd love to be close to family during school and definitely would consider settling down there. Do you think that is enough of a connection to give me a shot? Or would I be throwing away my money to even apply? Thanks for any advice.

I didn't exactly know where else to post this, figured everyone here has a pretty good idea of the school. I did try to do a forum search, but couldn't find anything good for UCR. UCR is either my top choice or pretty close to it. Problem is I'm not a California resident. My wife grew up in Riverside though, she was there for 18 years. Her family is all still there and they are amazing and I'd love to be close to family during school and definitely would consider settling down there. Do you think that is enough of a connection to give me a shot? Or would I be throwing away my money to even apply? Thanks for any advice.

I personally don't know anyone in my class or the class above me that isn't at least a CA resident - however, I certainly don't know everyone's story so I guess it's possible. I think it really comes down to ties with the Inland Empire and fit with the mission. Considering your connection to the IE through your wife, and that UCR is so high on your list, I'd say it's worth your money. I don't think you're throwing it away.

Anyone from 1/28 hear back?
I emailed yesterday and this is the response I got from Julie:
"If you have not heard yet, then you are still on the committee’s waitlist until they decide to send you an offer of admission."