2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats i was rooting for you!!!!!! did you happen to send a letter of intent?
Thank you!! I did actually, though I feel everyone has at this point, haha. No idea how much it helped

Thank you!! I did actually, though I feel everyone has at this point, haha. No idea how much it helped
I was sent an email way back in February saying not to send in letters of intent. I was always afraid it'd hurt me since it goes against what they said, but now I just can't tell if should now at this point. Should I just do it?

I was sent an email way back in February saying not to send in letters of intent. I was always afraid it'd hurt me since it goes against what they said, but now I just can't tell if should now at this point. Should I just do it?
Hmm, I never got a letter like that, and other people on here did it with success, so I just went for it, figuring it would potentially help me more than hurt me. I emailed my letter to the office and politely asked if they could attach it to my application and they seemed fine with it.

At this point, there's really not much to lose...

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, I never got a letter like that, and other people on here did it with success, so I just went for it, figuring it would potentially help me more than hurt me. I emailed my letter to the office and politely asked if they could attach it to my application and they seemed fine with it.

At this point, there's really not much to lose...
Thanks. It's happening.

Reactions: 1 users
I was given 5 business days to accept the offer when I was accepted almost 2 weeks ago!

Recently accepted students..where do you fill out the SIR? I can't find it on my.ucla

I was just offered a Geffen scholarship but did not attend second look and now have to decide if I want to matriculate at UCLA or my other great option which is NYU where I was also offered a full cost of attendance merit award. I was hoping current students might answer some questions. Is there a collegial spirit, or does everyone just do their own thing? Do people like the 2 year pre-clinical curriculum? Will I ultimately need a car for clinical rotations? I know having to make this decision is a great problem to have but I was pumped to go to NYU with the thought that fate sealed the deal with the full ride...until today

I was just offered a Geffen scholarship but did not attend second look and now have to decide if I want to matriculate at UCLA or my other great option which is NYU where I was also offered a full cost of attendance merit award. I was hoping current students might answer some questions. Is there a collegial spirit, or does everyone just do their own thing? Do people like the 2 year pre-clinical curriculum? Will I ultimately need a car for clinical rotations? I know having to make this decision is a great problem to have but I was pumped to go to NYU with the thought that fate sealed the deal with the full ride...until today
CONGRATS! When did you interview? Did you just get in? Why did the admissions office state so adamantly no one would get the Geffen after April...

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently accepted students..where do you fill out the SIR? I can't find it on my.ucla
It should be under the new students registration tab. It was tricky to find for me too.

Sending you a PM :)

I hope one day I get a PM from Radiata20

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations @Pusheen!! :):):) That is so exciting! If you don't mind me asking, when did your PI send that update letter? My PI asked me if I wanted one sent also, but I was afraid of doing that lol :(

Congratulations @Pusheen!! :):):) That is so exciting! If you don't mind me asking, when did your PI send that update letter? My PI asked me if I wanted one sent also, but I was afraid of doing that lol :(
Thanks!! My PI didn't send it, I wrote it myself. I sent it around the first week of May.

Just curious, has anyone received or heard of anyone getting a post interview rejection? Based off last year's thread, there were a few that went out already by this time

Just curious, has anyone received or heard of anyone getting a post interview rejection? Based off last year's thread, there were a few that went out already by this time
I think we'll here something on the 13/14th but that's a mystical guess.

Did any RE-applicants to UCLA that have been interviewed in a previous cycle 1) get offered an interview again this cycle as a re-applicant, 2) then get accepted this cycle as a re-applicant? I have a long road ahead for my MCAT has expired and I will have to 1) retake the MCAT this year (I took the "old MCAT" in 2014), 2) re-apply in 2018 for 2019 matriculation... UCLA has been and will always be my top choice, and wanted to see if any other re-applicants have shared this goal and dream and succeeded! Advice is welcomed!

starting to lose hope at this point :(
Starting to lose my mind at this point

Called the admissions office to confirm leaking of acceptances as people withdraw up until middle of July.

Last edited:

Called the admissions office to confirm leaking of acceptances as people withdraw up until middle of July.

we can do this! just one more month of waiting! it's already been over a year, so what's one more month for us (but also trying not to lose my mind). it has been an incredibly long wait, but it'll be all worth it when they finally call our names up :)

Call from Los Angeles area code this morning (FL resident)....

Telemarketer :hilarious:

Reactions: 4 users
So about 2 months ago I had a dream I was accepted. A few nights ago I had a dream that I had been rejected for a while, but I didn't see the email. In my dream, I accessed the portal and read my final decision letter. Yesterday my mother in law had a dream I was accepted. Mind games...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So they said there will be some acceptance until mid july?

Can anyone answer these questions about UCLA:

Are there plenty of ultra quiet places to study?

Quiet 24 hour study areas?

Help available, like help room where you can go to get help without having to hire your own tutors?

Pass/fail?

Near a subway station?

Can anyone answer these questions about UCLA:

Are there plenty of ultra quiet places to study?

Quiet 24 hour study areas?

Help available, like help room where you can go to get help without having to hire your own tutors?

Pass/fail?

Near a subway station?

Yes to everything except subway. We're close to a metro rail station, but tbh I don't know a single med student who has used it.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats @Nak2k @danimal22 @sleepsound @here2learn1 @RIPHarambe @bbx-8995-1 @Until2021 @koolkid596 @rosemilk @Autotoxicus @VETtoMED01 !!! :) Hope it was worth the wait! We'll send you another email soon to connect you with current students.

Regarding your questions:

-Geffen Scholarships are generally awarded in the original acceptance letter, and every application that was accepted by the main admissions committee is then passed on to the scholarship committee. That's one of the reasons why our review process takes a little longer, since every application in the accepted pile has to make it through this one extra committee before we send out the acceptance letter. I'm not sure if the other scholarships (Leaders of Tomorrow, etc.) are given afterwards or not.

-The "To hold your place in the class, you must send us a letter of acceptance within two weeks" is something you should send them to indicate that you 1) acknowledge receipt of your acceptance letter, and 2) are still interested in matriculating at here and would therefore like to have your seat held for you at UCLA DGSOM. It serves the same purpose as the online checkbox/online signature/online form that some other schools have on their portal or as part of their acceptance letter. It is not binding, and you are welcome to hold onto as many acceptances as you like until April 30th, after which you must decline your offers of acceptances from all but one school (but you may remain on as many waitlists as you wish).

What's the latest date that the school actually gives out emails of acceptance to Geffen scholars? Like, if you interviewed late, does that diminish the chances of getting the scholarship? Thank you!

Like any other school we could potentially accept up until shortly before the date that classes start. Whether or not that happens depends on how much movement.

For scholarship info you'd have to ask the administration for the official answer. I wouldn't want to give you incorrect info.

Folks holding acceptances:

Please do consider not dooming other students into an apartment lease near a school which is not their dream school.

Surely, the ego and pride of holding the acceptance is humbling, well deserved, inspiring...but if you are quite sure of not attending UCLA, you can make a comrades dream come true. Then I'll drop my seat in my intended program and pay it forward. See, everybody wins. We're all in this together

I just got a call from Los Angeles number, but then it was Amy with Reward Redemptions :arghh:

The class is full. If someone drops they will re-evaluate the waitlist candidates. The final day is July 31.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sooo shouldn't they have sent out the rejection emails by now..? :sorry:

UCLA doesn't reject post interview until July/August of the following year, so there's huge overlap in the cycles.

Does anyone know if they ask for your parent's tax forms after you get accepted? I'm filling in the disadvantaged part of the secondary and don't know how accurate I got to be, my mom is being too lazy to look it up and wants me to just use guestimations .