2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all those recently accepted, and congrats in advance to all those who will be soon accepted in the near future! We look forward to seeing you all back here in July!

Just wanted to apologize in advance to those of you who request to join the Facebook group over the next few months, as there may be several days' delay before your request is approved, as we need to get confirmation from the admissions office before doing so. And as you can imagine given all of the movement recently, their first priority--and I'm sure yours as well--is to send out all of your official decisions first! So it may take a bit of time before that info trickles down to us to review requests. But I promise it's not that we've forgotten or haven't seen your requests!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone who wasn't accepted outright just waiting around? I haven't heard a peep since my interview more than 6 months ago... It's definitely not an acceptance at this point, but I thought at least waitlist/reject emails would be out by now.

Heard nothing post-interview last year until a rejection letter came in June. Had been hoping that there would have been some correspondence around the decision deadline but it was months of radio silence post-interview. Called around the decision deadline and was told everyone who wasn't accepted or rejected post-interview was unofficially waitlisted and would remain on the waitlist until further notice.

Heard nothing post-interview last year until a rejection letter came in June. Had been hoping that there would have been some correspondence around the decision deadline but it was months of radio silence post-interview. Called around the decision deadline and was told everyone who wasn't accepted or rejected post-interview was unofficially waitlisted and would remain on the waitlist until further notice.
Did you call this year? So they've actually sent out post II rejections this year?

Could people comment on UCDavis vs UCLA? Please don't make me start a school specific trend; I really am overwhelmed.

I was set on UCLA, which is giving me a 23K need based scholarship. Then, UCDavis just notified me today of being selected for a 25K annual scholarship. So scholarship wise and also tuition wise they are trivial differences. However, housing at LA would cost at least 60K total. Whereas, I can get free housing in Sacramento for all four years, saving 60K in loans and interest.

Is UCLA worth this 60K plus interest extra? If it is, what makes it worth it? Total loan amounts would be 55K UCD vs 115K UCLA.

Would really appreciate your help! As someone interested in public health and community planning policy (systems level change), working with underserved and specifically the AI/AN populations and most likely hoping to work in academic medicine in order to affect this change, UCLA's inter school access is very appealing, as well as its opportunities such as the Health Admin and Management fellowship. However, I'm not sure if these opportunities are worth the 60K. I'm looking for the school which will equip me with the resources, network, and skill set and knowledge base to be a leader in the above mentioned fields and do the most good possible.

I would pick where you think you might be happiest and this comes down to a subjective evaluation of where you'd like to be for the next 4 years. After being in med school for one year and talking to students from a bunch of different med schools (including UCSF, UCLA, UCD, and UCI), I get the sense that the med school experience is what you make of it. The pre-clinical curriculum and education will be similar wherever you go because we're all be learning pretty much the same thing. What has been the most important thing for me has been having a good support system, being close to family, and having opportunities to pursue my interests (which are similar to yours). I'd say you'd have opportunities to pursue your interests at any of these schools. Take a closer look at the opportunities you might take advantage of at each school and think about where you might be happiest. Money is an important factor but also remember that your happiness is also very important.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you call this year? So they've actually sent out post II rejections this year?

I applied last year so I'm not sure if they've done anything differently regarding post II rejections or WL status for this year.

Movement occurs continuously after April 30th, as it does at any school.

I'm trying to decide what kind of housing to apply for and would really like to check out the studios at Weyburn and Hilgard. Any chance someone would be willing to let me check out their place?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to decide what kind of housing to apply for and would really like to check out the studios at Weyburn and Hilgard. Any chance someone would be willing to let me check out their place?

Post to your class Fbook page, plenty of us should be able to accommodate you for Weyburn. No med students live in Hilgard that I know of though.

Post to your class Fbook page, plenty of us should be able to accommodate you for Weyburn. No med students live in Hilgard that I know of though.

Thanks! Will do. Do you know why med students tend to not live in Hilgard?

Could people comment on UCDavis vs UCLA? Please don't make me start a school specific trend; I really am overwhelmed.

I was set on UCLA, which is giving me a 23K need based scholarship. Then, UCDavis just notified me today of being selected for a 25K annual scholarship. So scholarship wise and also tuition wise they are trivial differences. However, housing at LA would cost at least 60K total. Whereas, I can get free housing in Sacramento for all four years, saving 60K in loans and interest.

Is UCLA worth this 60K plus interest extra? If it is, what makes it worth it? Total loan amounts would be 55K UCD vs 115K UCLA.

Would really appreciate your help! As someone interested in public health and community planning policy (systems level change), working with underserved and specifically the AI/AN populations and most likely hoping to work in academic medicine in order to affect this change, UCLA's inter school access is very appealing, as well as its opportunities such as the Health Admin and Management fellowship. However, I'm not sure if these opportunities are worth the 60K. I'm looking for the school which will equip me with the resources, network, and skill set and knowledge base to be a leader in the above mentioned fields and do the most good possible.

Congrats buddy! No matter where you go, i'm sure you'll make a great MD. I'd go with UCLA if I had to choose however. You'd get training at a top 5 hospital in the nation at Reagan and coming from UCLA will make it easier to get into the residency of your choosing come the time with it being a stronger program on the books. The money is certainly a factor but if you want the best training that you will carry with you throughout your medical career then I recommend UCLA :D

Sorry to bump this thread for everybody, but have there been any more acceptances since early May? I think the flow was far more steady in last year's thread.

Sorry to bump this thread for everybody, but have there been any more acceptances since early May? I think the flow was far more steady in last year's thread.

i don't think so based off a phone call i had with the office. based off last years thread, seems like there was a ton of movement already by now so I'm not sure what the hold up is

i don't think so based off a phone call i had with the office. based off last years thread, seems like there was a ton of movement already by now so I'm not sure what the hold up is

I've been wondering too. Honestly feeling pretty pessimistic about stuff, maybe they just had a really good yield this year. What was your phone call to the office?

I've been wondering too. Honestly feeling pretty pessimistic about stuff, maybe they just had a really good yield this year. What was your phone call to the office?

they said they were planning on releasing more acceptances, just haven't really specified when or how many. they didn't say much explicit, but i did get the sense that there was only 1 batch so far post May

they said they were planning on releasing more acceptances, just haven't really specified when or how many. they didn't say much explicit, but i did get the sense that there was only 1 batch so far post May
Got it, thanks for finding out!
The wait continues...

Thank you

Got it, thanks for finding out!
The wait continues...

There seems to be something special about Wednesdays...

Minor heart attack when I saw the notifications, but I guess it's maybe kinda good news that they expect more? I have been wondering why it's so quiet.

Hey guys. I've been perusing this thread, looking for OOS II or accepted students with lower MCATs, but it seems like although UCLA's median accepted MCAT is 508, they only pull high MCATs (>34) from OOS. Is this right? I was going to apply here next year with a 510 OOS, but I'm not so sure any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys. I've been perusing this thread, looking for OOS II or accepted students with lower MCATs, but it seems like although UCLA's median accepted MCAT is 508, they only pull high MCATs (>34) from OOS. Is this right? I was going to apply here next year with a 510 OOS, but I'm not so sure any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I applied with a much lower Mcat than that and got interviewed in the first batch

You never know how they may feel about your file, as they look at you holistically

do the best you can on your primary and secondary. best of luck

I applied with a much lower Mcat than that and got interviewed in the first batch

You never know how they may feel about your file, as they look at you holistically

do the best you can on your primary and secondary. best of luck

Your location says LA. Are you IS for California?

I'm OOS and applied with a much, much lower MCAT. I interviewed early and got in! I think UCLA is one of the few institutions in this country that is a top school, but is really holistic. They will contextualize your MCAT based on your background and life experiences. For example, if you have a good GPA, good experiences, are a good fit, and are disadvantaged, they might overlook an extremely low MCAT score.

Minor heart attack when I saw the notifications, but I guess it's maybe kinda good news that they expect more? I have been wondering why it's so quiet.

sorry about that =/, i know this is a stressful time for everyone waiting to hear back. but we are at the final stretch so let's hang in there :)

would anyone be willing to try contacting the office to see when they expect to release their next acceptances?

sorry about that =/, i know this is a stressful time for everyone waiting to hear back. but we are at the final stretch so let's hang in there :)

would anyone be willing to try contacting the office to see when they expect to release their next acceptances?

I sent an email asking about updates on their timeline. They simply said none.

Same! Just accepted. Will be withdrawing, but this was still a pleasant surprise (esp after silence for 7 months!).

Reactions: 5 users
Same as above. Accepted with an email notification on portal update. Interviewed 3/2

The facebook group says it has 20 new members. I'm not sure if that's all new accepted students but if it is the big wave we were hoping for then it may have just happened.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but what is their LOR policy? They say on the web site you get the guidelines in the secondary, but does anyone who applied last cycle know what the LOR policies are for them?

Would love some love, DGSOM! If not, I'm comin' for you again this new app cycle lol

Reactions: 4 users
I got a major case of the oneitis for DGSOM, this whole process has just been torture but I feel a little bit better knowing we're all in it together

Congrats peeps, any recent admits provide a letter of intent/update?

Congrats peeps, any recent admits provide a letter of intent/update?
Not really, but my PI during my current Gap year sent in an additional LOR, with an appended list of my accepted abstracts during the internship.

Not really, but my PI during my current Gap year sent in an additional LOR, with an appended list of my accepted abstracts during the internship.

Hey how did you send the additional LOR. Was it through AMCAS or did you have your PI send it to the mednet email?

For the people who were recently accepted, congrats and I hope to be joining you all soon!

I also had a question for you all, how long does the admissions office give for you to respond to your offer? I am asking to see when the committee can get a feel for how many more openings there are to extend future offers

I just got the phone call!!!!! I'm joining you guys!!!!

Reactions: 21 users