2016-2017 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does UCLA give merit based scholarship
Yes, they do.
There are 2 types of merit based scholarships they give. The Geffen Scholar award pays for full tuition plus a grad student stipend for all 4 years (I believe they have about 30 people in each class on this scholarship.) I can't remember the name of the second type of merit scholarship but it covers full tuition (no stipend) and there are 2 or 3 students per class who are awarded this scholarship. Everyone who is accepted (prior to a certain date) is considered for both these scholarships, but if your acceptance letter doesn't mention you being awarded one then you're SOL.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone who was passed off from PRIME heard anything back?
Hang tight everyone who's also waiting for something to happen!
I haven't, hoping that one last round of decisions including us goes out this week!

Yes, they do.
There are 2 types of merit based scholarships they give. The Geffen Scholar award pays for full tuition plus a grad student stipend for all 4 years (I believe they have about 30 people in each class on this scholarship.) I can't remember the name of the second type of merit scholarship but it covers full tuition (no stipend) and there are 2 or 3 students per class who are awarded this scholarship. Everyone who is accepted (prior to a certain date) is considered for both these scholarships, but if your acceptance letter doesn't mention you being awarded one then you're SOL.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
If Geffen scholars decide to matriculate somewhere else, are the scholarships re-assigned to other students?

Does UCLA give merit based scholarship

I asked about merit scholarships during my financial aid meeting during second look, and was told that all of them are awarded upon acceptance, or have been already (basically she told me I wouldn't be getting one haha, but was real nice about it)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if there will be anymore acceptances before April 30th?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else been unable to finish the HIPAA requirement for accepted students?

Has anyone else been unable to finish the HIPAA requirement for accepted students?

I have been having difficulty once I type in my ucla ID after quiz...

Last edited:
Sadly just withdrew from dgsom for personal and financial reasons. It was truly one of my favorite places to visit, and that was even when the Geffen building was still under construction! Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know if there will be anymore acceptances before April 30th?

Just called admissions office and she said (read in a peeved tone considering other students like me call and annoy the **** out of the office), "As you know, April 30th is the deadline for students across the country to choose one school. We do anticipate some movement from our acceptance list after April 30th. That will mean, the earliest you will all hear from us will be the first week of May."

Reactions: 7 users
Just called admissions office and she said (read in a peeved tone considering other students like me call and annoy the **** out of the office), "As you know, April 30th is the deadline for students across the country to choose one school. We do anticipate some movement from our acceptance list after April 30th. That will mean, the earliest you will all hear from us will be the first week of May."

You brave soul.

Members don't see this ad :)
we appreciate you

This may be a bit of a strange/ridiculous question, but to any current students: is there any notable difference in the way faculty treat geffen scholars vs non-geffen scholars? As a non-Geffen scholar, are you less regarded for research positions/mentorship/etc?

This may be a bit of a strange/ridiculous question, but to any current students: is there any notable difference in the way faculty treat geffen scholars vs non-geffen scholars? As a non-Geffen scholar, are you less regarded for research positions/mentorship/etc?

Nope no difference at all. There's honestly not even any point in bringing up the fact that you're a Geffen Scholar to any PIs--they don't care if you get your summer funding through the scholarship or through STTP--or any other faculty for that matter. Many of the faculty are unaware that the scholarship even exists, since it doesn't affect them unless they have a child/niece/nephew/family friend who wants to apply to med school. Even Geffen Scholars don't know all of the other Geffen Scholars, because it's not something that is really brought up in everyday life (because, again, there's simply no reason to bring it up).

No one here has any issue finding research positions or mentors, scholarship or not. If you would like some suggestions or introductions, you can always ask the upperclassmen in the appropriate specialty interest group, but many people also just cold-email or will naturally run into them during the course of the curriculum and extracurricular events.

Do current students know if theres a lot of wait list movement here??

Usually quite a decent amount. Of course, it's not April 30th yet. If DGSOM is at the top of your list, keep an eye on your phone after Sunday.

Usually quite a decent amount. Of course, it's not April 30th yet. If DGSOM is at the top of your list, keep an eye on your phone after Sunday.
Do they always accept people by phone after April 30? Would someone get an email as well? :oops:
At work all day, can't really pick up the phone :oops:

Do they always accept people by phone after April 30? Would someone get an email as well? :oops:
At work all day, can't really pick up the phone :oops:
I think phone acceptances come a bit later in the game based on last years thread

Do they always accept people by phone after April 30? Would someone get an email as well?

I honestly couldn't tell you the exact logistics since I'm not involved with that side of things. I'm sure any missed phone calls would be followed up with emails though!

Has anyone picked UCLA over UCSF or UCSD? Please send me any input that put you over the edge. Having the hardest time deciding between these schools and the clock is ticking. :(

Has anyone picked UCLA over UCSF or UCSD? Please send me any input that put you over the edge. Having the hardest time deciding between these schools and the clock is ticking. :(

There's a lot of us here who have picked UCLA over both UCSF and UCSD, including me :) But all three are excellent schools, so I can't really tell you to go to one or the other without knowing anything about your personal preferences. Even if I wanted to badmouth the other two schools, I really couldn't because I love them both too (Dean Wofsy is especially great, isn't he?) and I know of happy friends and friends of friends at both.

Some of the things that I thought about, which may or may not apply to you:
  • Centralized Weyburn housing--~80% of the MS1 and MS2 class lives in the same apartment complex, with the 3rd year of housing also guaranteed and the 4th year petitionable. I cannot even begin to express what a social luxury it is to have almost all of my friends here within a <5 minute walking distance from my apt. When one of my best friends feels like wine and cheese, I don't even have to change out of my pajamas to walk upstairs to her apartment. Weyburn also happens to be a <10 minute walk from campus, our main hospital & clinics, as well as just about anything you need in Westwood from groceries to movie theaters. The benefit of not having to even drive to get groceries when it's right before exam week is pretty darn nice.
  • In-house & regional bias for each successive level--The residents and attendings involved with residency/fellowship admissions here tell me that UCLA programs' bias for accepting UCLA-trained candidates only increases at each level of graduate medical education. I would expect that would be the same at the other two schools. If you have a specific residency/fellowship/practice location in mind, this might be something to consider.
  • Local support system--Being closer to family turned out to be way nicer than I realized it would during med school. Of course, it was a trade-off, since many of my undergrad friends are still in the Bay Area. Then again, they probably wouldn't have been bringing me a week's supply of home-cooked food during exam week :)

Let me know if you'd like to chat more with a me or a classmate over the phone. Might want to PM me to make sure I get the email notification in case I don't check SDN in time. If you're in town, you can also me know if you would like to revisit campus to take another look at the facilities, Weyburn housing, and the surrounding area over the weekend. Good luck with your decision, and hope to see you here in my anatomy tutoring sessions in a few months!

Could people comment on UCDavis vs UCLA? Please don't make me start a school specific trend; I really am overwhelmed.

I was set on UCLA, which is giving me a 23K need based scholarship. Then, UCDavis just notified me today of being selected for a 25K annual scholarship. So scholarship wise and also tuition wise they are trivial differences. However, housing at LA would cost at least 60K total. Whereas, I can get free housing in Sacramento for all four years, saving 60K in loans and interest.

Is UCLA worth this 60K plus interest extra? If it is, what makes it worth it? Total loan amounts would be 55K UCD vs 115K UCLA.

Would really appreciate your help! As someone interested in public health and community planning policy (systems level change), working with underserved and specifically the AI/AN populations and most likely hoping to work in academic medicine in order to affect this change, UCLA's inter school access is very appealing, as well as its opportunities such as the Health Admin and Management fellowship. However, I'm not sure if these opportunities are worth the 60K. I'm looking for the school which will equip me with the resources, network, and skill set and knowledge base to be a leader in the above mentioned fields and do the most good possible.

Could people comment on UCDavis vs UCLA? Please don't make me start a school specific trend; I really am overwhelmed.

I was set on UCLA, which is giving me a 23K need based scholarship. Then, UCDavis just notified me today of being selected for a 25K annual scholarship. So scholarship wise and also tuition wise they are trivial differences. However, housing at LA would cost at least 60K total. Whereas, I can get free housing in Sacramento for all four years, saving 60K in loans and interest.

Is UCLA worth this 60K plus interest extra? If it is, what makes it worth it? Total loan amounts would be 55K UCD vs 115K UCLA.

Would really appreciate your help! As someone interested in public health and community planning policy (systems level change), working with underserved and specifically the AI/AN populations and most likely hoping to work in academic medicine in order to affect this change, UCLA's inter school access is very appealing, as well as its opportunities such as the Health Admin and Management fellowship. However, I'm not sure if these opportunities are worth the 60K. I'm looking for the school which will equip me with the resources, network, and skill set and knowledge base to be a leader in the above mentioned fields and do the most good possible.

I'm currently struggling with the same decision (different schools, very similar scenario. I can't believe some schools waited until today to send scholarship info...) and the advice I've gotten is that it really depends on what you want to do with your career and where you'll feel most at home. If you're trying to go into academic medicine or a super competitive specialty, having that UCLA name on your residency applications might be very beneficial. If you see yourself going into a more average specialty, the 60k + interest could be the more significant factor, especially if you'll be staying in CA and will have to deal with cost of living during residency and beyond. It also depends on where your support system is - I assume that the free rent in Sacremento means you'd be living with your family, which could be really nice (if you're into homemade meals and family time) or really distracting. Personally, I'm most likely going to attend the cheaper school that's within driving distance of my family and friends even though it's ranked slightly lower.

Either way, from what I've seen at UCLA and heard of UCD, you can't really go wrong with either choice!

@aukhadnaam Sorry, I really don't know much of anything about UCD, as I didn't even interview there. We can all tell you about how great UCLA is, but we're not in the business of trying to convince you that any institution is worse than ours. It's going to come down to personal priorities, in this case including how much that debt matters to you.

The MS2s (some of them technically MS3s now!) who check this forum periodically are also either are doing their last-minute studying for Step, or just took step and are celebrating, so I don't know that you'll get any their responses here in time. Instead you might want to post on our FB page, I'm sure some of my classmates know more about Davis and can offer more insight.

Just came across this

Should you go to a brand-name medical school? I didn't. Here's why. | Pamela Wible MD

I'm currently struggling with the same decision (different schools, very similar scenario. I can't believe some schools waited until today to send scholarship info...) and the advice I've gotten is that it really depends on what you want to do with your career and where you'll feel most at home. If you're trying to go into academic medicine or a super competitive specialty, having that UCLA name on your residency applications might be very beneficial. If you see yourself going into a more average specialty, the 60k + interest could be the more significant factor, especially if you'll be staying in CA and will have to deal with cost of living during residency and beyond. It also depends on where your support system is - I assume that the free rent in Sacremento means you'd be living with your family, which could be really nice (if you're into homemade meals and family time) or really distracting. Personally, I'm most likely going to attend the cheaper school that's within driving distance of my family and friends even though it's ranked slightly lower.

Either way, from what I've seen at UCLA and heard of UCD, you can't really go wrong with either choice!

Is everyone who wasn't accepted outright just waiting around? I haven't heard a peep since my interview more than 6 months ago... It's definitely not an acceptance at this point, but I thought at least waitlist/reject emails would be out by now.

Is everyone who wasn't accepted outright just waiting around? I haven't heard a peep since my interview more than 6 months ago... It's definitely not an acceptance at this point, but I thought at least waitlist/reject emails would be out by now.
No outright rejections will be sent until the very end (aka end of July). UCLA also doesn't send out official waitlist emails, so yes, we are just waiting around.

No outright rejections will be sent until the very end (aka end of July). UCLA also doesn't send out official waitlist emails, so yes, we are just waiting around.
Ah that's what I heard but I wasn't sure if it was true. Thanks for letting me know.

From the same source who told me what you just confirmed, a current MS1 (at another med school) told me that she never received any decision email at the end of the cycle and only a few months ago received an email from UCLA saying that her app had been lost so that's why she never received a decision (although idk how an electronic app is lost).

Lost?! That's so disheartening! I interviewed in September, but I'm trying to staying positive!!! There's still a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Withdrew from UCLA on the deadline, so hopefully, it goes to one of you, and you have a great experience!

Reactions: 9 users
Dang, I felt great the last couple of weeks not checking my email first thing in the morning. Now I'm right back to square one.

515.gif

#KeepItTogetherDude

Reactions: 4 users
Dang, I felt great the last couple of weeks not checking my email first thing in the morning. Now I'm right back to square one.

515.gif

#KeepItTogetherDude
I feel you.

I just got a call from the dean accepted!!!!!!! :) I was crying and shaking

Reactions: 16 users
Daylight
I wake up feeling like you won't play right
I used to know, but now that **** don't feel right
It made me put away my pride
So long
You made a pre-med wait for some, so long
You make it hard for a boy like that to know wrong
I'm wishing I could make this mine, oh

If you want it, yeah
You can have it, oh, oh, oh
If you need it, ooh
We can make it, oh
If you want it
You can have it

But stay woke
Admissions creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin' (oh)
Now stay woke
UCLA's creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes..

I have a midterm tomorrow that I need to study for but I literally can't think of anything but UCLA. I want this so bad. Hoping tonight is the night

Daylight
I wake up feeling like you won't play right
I used to know, but now that **** don't feel right
It made me put away my pride
So long
You made a pre-med wait for some, so long
You make it hard for a boy like that to know wrong
I'm wishing I could make this mine, oh

If you want it, yeah
You can have it, oh, oh, oh
If you need it, ooh
We can make it, oh
If you want it
You can have it

But stay woke
Admissions creepin'
They gon' find you
Gon' catch you sleepin' (oh)
Now stay woke
UCLA's creepin'
Now don't you close your eyes..

The original lyrics Donald glover didn't want the public to kno about

I have a midterm tomorrow that I need to study for but I literally can't think of anything but UCLA. I want this so bad. Hoping tonight is the night

my inclination is that there won't be anymore today

Just got the call this morning. Go Bruins!

Reactions: 6 users