2016-2017 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SJV!!! ...and thanks!
Well maybe an invite means more for SJV. The way I see it they like us enough to extend an interview invite so that must mean something, right? So much for not reading into it lol

Reactions: 1 users
Well maybe an invite means more for SJV. The way I see it they like us enough to extend an interview invite so that must mean something, right? So much for not reading into it lol

Haha - no; got the same 'this doesn't mean anything' line at the start of the thing lol. But here's hoping! Haha

Don't hold me to this, but I would definitely say that it's a good sign! You must be very high on the waitlist. I am an accepted student and did not receive my track interview lol

Reactions: 1 users
Don't hold me to this, but I would definitely say that it's a good sign! You must be very high on the waitlist. I am an accepted student and did not receive my track interview lol
You are very sweet, thank you. As for your track interview there is still time, I believe most of the programs interview through April. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and congratulations on the acceptance!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, has anyone else received emails from the Knights Landing clinic?
I have not been receiving those e-mails. Was that the student-run free clinic you toured after your interview day? Sadly, I wasn't able to sign up for the tour.
Anyone wait listed hear back yet?
Nothing yet. Fingers crossed that someone on the waitlist hears back this Friday, if this cycle mirrors last year's. For those of us in for the long haul, just to give everyone an idea of how long we can expect to hold our breaths, orientation starts in July, and, looking at the UC Davis threads for the past five cycles, waitlist movement seems most likely to stop in late May but could possibly extend to mid-June.

I have not been receiving those e-mails. Was that the student-run free clinic you toured after your interview day? Sadly, I wasn't able to sign up for the tour.

Nothing yet. Fingers crossed that someone on the waitlist hears back this Friday, if this cycle mirrors last year's. For those of us in for the long haul, just to give everyone an idea of how long we can expect to hold our breaths, orientation starts in July, and, looking at the UC Davis threads for the past five cycles, waitlist movement seems most likely to stop in late May but could possibly extend to mid-June.
No, I toured the Clinica Tepati, but mentioned interest in working at Knights Landing during my interview which is why I'm curious. Hoping it's a good sign.

Hi all,
To those who currently go to UC Davis or those who are currently waitlisted, do you plan to send a letter of intent and/or update letter? If so, which should I send (or should I send both)? Also, when would be the optimal time to send such a letter? I know April 30th is the magic day but I'm not sure if slightly before, after, or on April 30th is optimal. Lastly, if I were to send a letter of intent and/or update letter, would it be appropriate to send a letter of recommendation (from a physician whom I've shadowed since interviewing at UCD) attached to my letter of intent/update letter?

I interviewed back in January and am wondering what steps I can do to further my chances of getting off the waitlist.

edit: note that I did not receive any acceptances this cycle (currently waitlisted at UC Davis, USC, and UCSD )

Hi all,
To those who currently go to UC Davis or those who are currently waitlisted, do you plan to send a letter of intent and/or update letter? If so, which should I send (or should I send both)? Also, when would be the optimal time to send such a letter? I know April 30th is the magic day but I'm not sure if slightly before, after, or on April 30th is optimal. Lastly, if I were to send a letter of intent and/or update letter, would it be appropriate to send a letter of recommendation (from a physician whom I've shadowed since interviewing at UCD) attached to my letter of intent/update letter?

I interviewed back in January and am wondering what steps I can do to further my chances of getting off the waitlist.

edit: note that I did not receive any acceptances this cycle (currently waitlisted at UC Davis, USC, and UCSD )
A letter or interest (or intent if UCD is genuinely your top choice) would be fine, but do not send an additional LOR. They explicitly state on the website that they do not accept attachments or additional letters so you don't want to hurt yourself by not following directions. As for optimal time, I have no idea, sorry. I'd try to get it in sooner rather than later because movement can happen before April 30th since accepted students can decline their seat at any time. I wish I had more concrete advice for you, but I hope it helps. Good luck!

Holy. Cow. Just got the call! Also accepted for TEACH!

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone from the waitlist (and also on this thread) hear anything?

Does anyone know any details about second look coming up? Like what time it starts, ends, etc... trying to figure out transportation situation.

Also has anyone got their financial aid package yet? Seems late to not have it.

upload_2017-4-16_21-45-3.png

Does anyone know any details about second look coming up? Like what time it starts, ends, etc... trying to figure out transportation situation.

Also has anyone got their financial aid package yet? Seems late to not have it.

May I ask if you received this in an e-mail? I did not yet receive this! (Accepted student)

Actually, yeah, nevermind I found it in an e-mail attachment from Charrise -- seemed like a follow up e-mail so I didn't really pay close attention but yeah!

Ok... so does anyone know about the financial aid status?

Actually, yeah, nevermind I found it in an e-mail attachment from Charrise -- seemed like a follow up e-mail so I didn't really pay close attention but yeah!

Ok... so does anyone know about the financial aid status?

I found out recently that although I filed my fafsa a few months ago they never got it and I had to send my SAR. You can check on UC Davis CAS – Central Authentication Service

Did anyone send their LOI to dr sousa? I sent it to the admissions office but should I send it to him too?

any other waitlisted student have a financial aid requirements open on their UCD page? Is it just because i submitted a fafsa there?

any other waitlisted student have a financial aid requirements open on their UCD page? Is it just because i submitted a fafsa there?
Just checked the portal, and I do not see financial aid requirements anywhere. I submitted a FAFSA as well to UC Davis a few months ago. Must be a good sign!

Did anyone send their LOI to dr sousa? I sent it to the admissions office but should I send it to him too?
Did you get a reply when you sent it to the admissions office/Dr. Sousa? I know someone who sent it to the admissions office email but never got a reply. Now, I don't know where to send mine

Did you get a reply when you sent it to the admissions office/Dr. Sousa? I know someone who sent it to the admissions office email but never got a reply. Now, I don't know where to send mine
send it to the office. i got a reply.

Rejected from TEACH even before an interview. Nooooo :( I think it's because I was accepted to UCD so late. Congrats to those accepted to community scholar programs!

Where exactly do you see this info? Can you show us a screen shot please? I'm dying from the wait here

Does everyone get one (accepted + waitlisted)? Or just those accepted? Because I have not gotten anything
I don't think the financial aid office would spend their limited time also arranging packages for those of us waitlisted. There is simply more uncertainty regarding the waitlist. It makes more sense that only those accepted will without a doubt receive one eventually.

@ucla2015 was probably just curious what the financial aid packages that have been released so far look like.

I don't think the financial aid office would spend their limited time also arranging packages for those of us waitlisted. There is simply more uncertainty regarding the waitlist. It makes more sense that only those accepted will without a doubt receive one eventually.

@ucla2015 was probably just curious what the financial aid packages that have been released so far look like.
Lol. You're absolutely right. I guess I was just being hopeful...Davis is my number one choice.

Sadly withdrew today. Liked the school a lot. My heart was saying yes, but my head couldn't justify attending here having been accepted to other (much highly ranked) UCs that are likely to open up more doors for me in the future. Good luck to those waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Sadly withdrew today. Liked the school a lot. My heart was saying yes, but my head couldn't justify attending here having been accepted to other (much highly ranked) UCs that are likely to open up more doors for me in the future. Good luck to those waiting.
Congratulations? This backhanded compliment would be insulting if it weren't so laughable. I'm trying to think of what other doors any "much highly ranked [sic]" UC medical school could open for a person. The match lists and career placement are essentially identical across the system, so it obviously couldn't be that. I guess the only door that would open would be one to an apartment that costs twice as much, or to a classroom stuffed with twice the number of students, or perhaps to an anatomy lab where the med students have to sift through the prior dissection work of dental/physical therapy students who got the first pass through. I guess Davis really isn't the place for everyone.

Has anyone received notification of scholarship? I have to say I'm pretty disappointed that the financial aid office didn't send out the packages before the April 1st selection deadline. It would've been helpful to have been able to compare - by that I guess I mean it would've been nice to have been offered a scholarship (or know if I would or would not be getting one) so I could really make a practical decision. At this point I'm assuming I am not receiving one. Although I thought I read somewhere that 95% of Davis Som's students receive scholarships/ grants.

Think I will be withdrawing as well. Best of luck to everyone! Davis is really an amazing place to be.

Congrats! That's great news! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?
11/18 also I got into a track program so maybe that's why it's earlier than the day they said! Hold tight your acceptance is coming :)