2016-2017 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But are those strictly only for rural prime or another track and not general UC Davis?
No this is for general class. They didn't mention any changes to the rural prime or other tracks but I'm assuming they can add spots in there after increasing the class size. I think this year they said they're taking in 118-120 students.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my WL a little over 2 weeks after my interview. From my understanding out of the 500 interviewees, they accept about 100, they waitlist about 100, and they reject everyone else. Based on last years thread, earliest movement off the waitlist was like mid-late April.

This is what I was told as well by adcom. They would WL 100 students in the past. This year the WL will be smaller than 100 (exact number they didn't say) due to little movement in the past. My guess would be 50-75 students.

This is what I was told as well by adcom. They would WL 100 students in the past. This year the WL will be smaller than 100 (exact number they didn't say) due to little movement in the past. My guess would be 50-75 students.

Ahh. Well then, I guess it's lucky that I am even on the waitlist to begin with. Hopefully there will be more movement this year but I highly doubt it. I applied for the Rural prime and Teach tracks but haven't heard anything from them

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh. Well then, I guess it's lucky that I am even on the waitlist to begin with. Hopefully there will be more movement this year but I highly doubt it. I applied for the Rural prime and Teach tracks but haven't heard anything from them

I'm currently on the waitlist as well . May I ask why you highly doubt there will be more movement this year?

I'm currently on the waitlist as well . May I ask why you highly doubt there will be more movement this year?

Bc based on the past year threads there was little movement due to a new algorithm in their acceptance decisions- they were choosing high yield students = would want to stay at UC-Davis.

Bc based on the past year threads there was little movement due to a new algorithm in their acceptance decisions- they were choosing high yield students = would want to stay at UC-Davis.

Well I am really hoping for some movement this year . I didn't go back and read previous years, thanks for the info!

GOT THE CALL JUST NOW!!! ACCEPTED!

My mom and i are crying so much that if you came into our house youd think someone just died.......BRB NEEDA GET OFF THE INTERNET.

Reactions: 8 users
GOT THE CALL JUST NOW!!! ACCEPTED!

My mom and i are crying so much that if you came into our house youd think someone just died.......BRB NEEDA GET OFF THE INTERNET.
congratulations!!! when did you interview?

Hopefully there will be some movement. I already know 7 people that will not be attending UC Davis after being accepted.

Reactions: 5 users
Hopefully there will be some movement. I already know 7 people that will not be attending UC Davis after being accepted.

I hope they are kind and have given up/give up their spots soon. I know a couple accepted folks who are being a bit selfish right now. They're both holding multiple acceptances and *certain* they won't go to Davis in the end, but haven't declined their spot because "they don't have to yet" and "it feels nice having a bunch of options." I totally understand if people are having a hard time choosing between options and holding your spot, but those who already know they won't take it and keep it should realize it's so selfish. That means those waitlisted who don't have a lot of options or who may have Davis as their only option won't hear until very very late in May/June (given how slow the admissions process works, let's be real) as opposed to right after the April 30 deadline (or even mid-April, like last year). Just my two cents: be kind, decline.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I hope they are kind and have given up/give up their spots soon. I know a couple accepted folks who are being a bit selfish right now. They're both holding multiple acceptances and *certain* they won't go to Davis in the end, but haven't declined their spot because "they don't have to yet" and "it feels nice having a bunch of options." I totally understand if people are having a hard time choosing between options and holding your spot, but those who already know they won't take it and keep it should realize it's so selfish. That means those waitlisted who don't have a lot of options or who may have Davis as their only option won't hear until very very late in May/June (given how slow the admissions process works, let's be real) as opposed to right after the April 30 deadline (or even mid-April, like last year). Just my two cents: be kind, decline.
I can relate to wanting an answer sooner rather than later, but ultimately, no one accepted owes us this courtesy, even if it is the kind thing to do. I doubt that any post on this forum urging them to withdraw will be persuasive.

To me, it doesn't really matter when waitlist movement occurs, just that it occurs at all and hopefully there's a lot of it. I hope that many of us on the waitlist are afforded the opportunity to study medicine at this amazing school. Even though applicants were taken off the waitlist starting mid-April last cycle, there was arguably minimal movement.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can relate to wanting an answer sooner rather than later, but ultimately, no one accepted owes us this courtesy, even if it is the kind thing to do. I doubt that any post on this forum urging them to withdraw will be persuasive.

To me, it doesn't really matter when waitlist movement occurs, just that it occurs at all and hopefully there's a lot of it. I hope that many of us on the waitlist are afforded the opportunity to study medicine at this amazing school. Even though applicants were taken off the waitlist starting mid-April last cycle, there was arguably minimal movement.

Right, they don't owe us anything. Just hope you realize that there are people with lives to plan, jobs, families, relocations, continued travel costs etc. Must be nice to just sit there not to have to worry about those things.

Reactions: 1 users
Right, they don't owe us anything. Just hope you realize that there are people with lives to plan, jobs, families, relocations, continued travel costs etc. Must be nice to just sit there not to have to worry about those things.
emoji6.png
I understand that completely. I am one of those people, and I imagine that the entire waitlist worries about everything you described. We're all in the same boat. We know how difficult dealing with that uncertainty is all too well. Hopefully we can look back on this as a formative experience and not simply be annoyed that there were some accepted applicants whose decisions made us wait longer for whatever the outcome is for each of us.

Got the waitlist email, the dream lives on! Interviewed Feb 24th (very long wait)

When UCD says they accept 100 students, does that mean that they only extend 100 acceptances?

What I mean by this is if someone was accepted in October but declined the acceptance, does that count towards the 100 total?

When UCD says they accept 100 students, does that mean that they only extend 100 acceptances?

What I mean by this is if someone was accepted in October but declined the acceptance, does that count towards the 100 total?
If you mean the initial outright acceptances, I think it does. However, UC Davis will probably end up extending more acceptances than that. I doubt that there are any medical schools that end up with 100% yield. That hypothetical someone accepted in October who eventually declines their acceptance will count towards that initial total.

If you mean the initial outright acceptances, I think it does. However, UC Davis will probably end up extending more acceptances than that. I doubt that there are any medical schools that end up with 100% yield. That hypothetical someone accepted in October who eventually declines their acceptance will count towards that initial total.

I have the PPT they sent me somewhere from interview day but it was something like they accept 100 straight from the interview and 100 from the waitlist?

Is there a Facebook page for accepted/waitlisted students for UC Davis?

I have the PPT they sent me somewhere from interview day but it was something like they accept 100 straight from the interview and 100 from the waitlist?
I think the information from the pre-interview PowerPoint reflects a time when they filled their class twice over to achieve their desired size, but that most certainly isn't the case now, perhaps due in part to the new algorithm @hopefulcali04 has mentioned several times in this thread that improves their yield. Due to the combination of brand new factors that have surfaced this cycle (for example, their decision to reduce the waitlist size and increase class size), it is especially difficult to predict how much movement will end up taking place. If accepting roughly 100 applicants from the waitlist is their historical upper limit and the sparse movement that we've seen in recent years is their lower limit, we can safely assume that what will happen will be somewhere in between. We should remain hopeful, but it's probably best to temper our optimism.

I understand that completely. I am one of those people, and I imagine that the entire waitlist worries about everything you described. We're all in the same boat. We know how difficult dealing with that uncertainty is all too well. Hopefully we can look back on this as a formative experience and not simply be annoyed that there were some accepted applicants whose decisions made us wait longer for whatever the outcome is for each of us.

currently waitlisted, and I have to pay a hefty deposit for another school, which of course is nonrefundable. If they would decline now, maybe I would know sooner and not lose out on that money. you are right no one owes us anything but you can't blame us for asking others to be considerate of others.

currently waitlisted, and I have to pay a hefty deposit for another school, which of course is nonrefundable. If they would decline now, maybe I would know sooner and not lose out on that money. you are right no one owes us anything but you can't blame us for asking others to be considerate of others.

Or take my case, waitlisted everywhere, currently studying to retake mcat and reapply this June. If only I could just know if I'm going to be rejected so I can have a peace of mind and fully focus on reapplying instead of being distracted by what ifs. But then again, that's life in general, it doesn't help to be worrying constantly, I think we just need to take charge of the situation and not expect anything in return from others. Be grateful for what we do have and keep on swimming :) I do feel better knowing there are others in my situation and that we can vent out our frustrations on premed forums, makes me feel less of a failure.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on your acceptance, and I'm sorry to hear about the nonrefundable deposit to hold your place at another school. I hope that your situation will appeal to someone who is holding their spot at UC Davis and doesn't intend to matriculate here. However, in the long-term, should a spot in the class be made available to you, I hope you wouldn't regret forfeiting the deposit if that meant you could attend UC Davis.
Or take my case, waitlisted everywhere, currently studying to retake mcat and reapply this June. If only I could just know if I'm going to be rejected so I can have a peace of mind and fully focus on reapplying instead of being distracted by what ifs. But then again, that's life in general, it doesn't help to be worrying constantly, I think we just need to take charge of the situation and not expect anything in return from others. Be grateful for what we do have and keep on swimming :) I do feel better knowing there are others in my situation and that we can vent out our frustrations on premed forums, makes me feel less of a failure.
As someone who has also found herself on a bunch of waitlists with no acceptances, the significance of making it this far is lost on me. If I'm in the right frame of mind, it astounds me to think about the improbability of receiving a secondary, receiving an invitation to interview, and being placed on the waitlist. Not that this fact helps distract from the anxiety of being in limbo, but still.

Has anyone from 2/24 received a rejection? I haven't heard ANYTHING and I'm over here checking my e-mail like every 2 minutes. Slowly going crazy!

Has anyone from 2/24 received a rejection? I haven't heard ANYTHING and I'm over here checking my e-mail like every 2 minutes. Slowly going crazy!

I interviewed 2/24 as well and was waitlisted this week! Some acceptances and rejections have gone out for our group. I would call!

How long has it taken all of you to hear back? 2 weeks?

When I talked to admissions at UCDSOM it seemed like they extend acceptances to more than 100 students because not all will actually end up attending. They have a ball park number past 100 that they offer to and the rest go to WL. This was the impression they gave but maybe someone from UCDSOM can say for certain.

accepted!!!! super excited. interviewed 3/10

Reactions: 5 users
When I talked to admissions at UCDSOM it seemed like they extend acceptances to more than 100 students because not all will actually end up attending. They have a ball park number past 100 that they offer to and the rest go to WL. This was the impression they gave but maybe someone from UCDSOM can say for certain.

They said they were extending 110 wait list spots and it seems like there have been quite a few rejections post II. I'm sure they interview way more than 210 people, so what I'm wondering is if only 210 people from the entire II pool actually get an acceptance or WL.

They said they were extending 110 wait list spots and it seems like there have been quite a few rejections post II. I'm sure they interview way more than 210 people, so what I'm wondering is if only 210 people from the entire II pool actually get an acceptance or WL.

I don't know what you're asking. But last year's MSAR they interviewed 500 (480 IS). I think they offer about 140 acceptances (they over offer since they know some will decline), then this year a shorter waitlist less than 100 based on previous posts.

Last edited:
If you're confused about what proportion of interviewed applicants get rejected as opposed to accepted or waitlisted at first, medical schools unfortunately initially reject anywhere from 1/6 to 1/3 of the people they interview. However, I don't think the exact information is publicly available, even on the MSAR, and it varies from school to school.
It seems reasonable to me that they have some target number beyond their class size for how many immediate acceptance offers they extend, especially towards the latter end of the cycle, with the number of acceptances being adjusted based on how many accepted applicants accept/decline their offer.

I am a recently accepted student, when should I expect to be contacted about a track interview? (TEACH-MS)

I am a recently accepted student, when should I expect to be contacted about a track interview? (TEACH-MS)

I interviewed for Teach about a month ago. I'm not sure if they're still holding interviews.

I interviewed for a different track program and it has interviews through April. I'm not sure if it varies between the track programs, but here's to hoping you hear soon. Good luck!