2016-2017 University of Arizona COM-P Pathway Scholars Program Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.deer42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello out there! Is anyone applying for the Pathway Scholars Program this year? Application is due Dec 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied! I completed in the middle of November. I am anxiously awaiting word from the good people at U of A. Did you end up applying?

Hello all!

Update email was sent out this week - the admissions committee should start sending out II the week of January 16th

Best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied! I completed in the middle of November. I am anxiously awaiting word from the good people at U of A. Did you end up applying?

I did end up applying! Hopefully we will get an II :)

The message from Dr. Fogerty sent out on Jan 9th

"Dear PSP Applicants,

I wanted to provide you an update on our admission review for your Pathway Scholars Program application.

We are currently planning on sending out invitations to interview for the February 6th Applicant Visit Day during the week of January 16th. After this review, a determination will be made whether a second Applicant Visit Day will be required. Once determined, further communications will be shared with everyone.

Our best of luck to you as you progress through the system and thank you once again for applying to our program."

The message from Dr. Fogerty sent out on Jan 9th

"Dear PSP Applicants,

I wanted to provide you an update on our admission review for your Pathway Scholars Program application.

We are currently planning on sending out invitations to interview for the February 6th Applicant Visit Day during the week of January 16th. After this review, a determination will be made whether a second Applicant Visit Day will be required. Once determined, further communications will be shared with everyone.

Our best of luck to you as you progress through the system and thank you once again for applying to our program."

Has anyone received an invite to interview?? I am checking my email constantly!

does anyone know if they started to send out invites for February yet
I've been checking my email, I haven't heard anything yet. I'm hoping to hear great news before Friday.

Does anyone know approximately how many people applied to the Pathway Scholars Program this cycle?

Does anyone know approximately how many people applied to the Pathway Scholars Program this cycle?
I have no idea but I attended one of their PSP seminars and they had said that they typically get around 200 applications and interview 52 or 53. Has anyone received an invite to interview? I keep checking my email but have not received anything from them, just curious as to if they sent it out already.

Members don't see this ad :)
No II for me :( Good luck to everyone else!

Meaning you got a rejection email or just no email in general yet?

I got a rejection email. Another friend who applied also got a rejection email so if you didn't, maybe you will get an interview or be placed on hold! Good luck

I got a rejection email. Another friend who applied also got a rejection email so if you didn't, maybe you will get an interview or be placed on hold! Good luck

Thank you for updating us. Best of luck on your other applications!!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I received a rejection also. I'm devastated. I was really hoping and praying that this would be my year. Best wishes to everyone, now it's time to put some serious thought on Antigua.

Rejected from the program via email today :( Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

II this afternoon! So hyped I'm dying lol. Best of luck to all waiting to hear and to all who already heard back

Any news from any other applicants? Still waiting on this end.

I recently got an email stating my application was still in review and they would keep me updated. I'm sorry to hear about all the rejections... Good luck to all the people who got II's.

I received an II yesterday!! I am super excited.

I recently got an email stating my application was still in review and they would keep me updated. I'm sorry to hear about all the rejections... Good luck to all the people who got II's.

I received the same email yesterday.

would you mind sharing your stats

Good Morning icorrale,

Thank you for your question to my post. I apologize for responding a few days late but work has been crazy the last few days.

First, I am sorry to hear that you did not receive an invitation to interview for this cycle. I know how devastating those emails are to receive since I have received a few in my endeavor to get into medical school. As cliche as it sounds, keep your head up and keep improving your application! You will eventually get there.

My science GPA is 2.75, cumulative undergrad GPA is 3.0, and graduate GPA is 4.0. Concerning the MCAT, the first time I took the test I scored a 22 and the second time I scored a 495.

Coming from a small Arizona town and single parent household, I started college as a first generation college student. Without going into all the details, it was difficult trying to figure everything out while working full time. Luckily, I had the opportunity to become a Certified Nursing Assistant in high school so I was able to gain clinical experience early on. After a few horrific semesters, I ended up transferring universities to start fresh and ended up doing quite well. After applying to medical school a few years ago and getting rejected from both traditional programs and the Pathways Program, I decided to pursue a masters degree in health administration. This program was amazing since it taught me about the business side of healthcare and medicine; up until then I only had clinical experience. In addition, I have had held several leadership positions within a major health system here in Phoenix that has greatly nurtured my leadership skills.

Not once have I ever doubted that I would not become a physician! The prior rejections have only fueled my ambition. My advice would be to evaluate downfalls in your application and make a plan to improve upon those. At the end of the day, it is my belief that the Admissions Committee loves to see improvement in any piece of your application along with a compelling story of your background and why you want to become a physician.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Good Morning icorrale,

Thank you for your question to my post. I apologize for responding a few days late but work has been crazy the last few days.

First, I am sorry to hear that you did not receive an invitation to interview for this cycle. I know how devastating those emails are to receive since I have received a few in my endeavor to get into medical school. As cliche as it sounds, keep your head up and keep improving your application! You will eventually get there.

My science GPA is 2.75, cumulative undergrad GPA is 3.0, and graduate GPA is 4.0. Concerning the MCAT, the first time I took the test I scored a 22 and the second time I scored a 495.

Coming from a small Arizona town and single parent household, I started college as a first generation college student. Without going into all the details, it was difficult trying to figure everything out while working full time. Luckily, I had the opportunity to become a Certified Nursing Assistant in high school so I was able to gain clinical experience early on. After a few horrific semesters, I ended up transferring universities to start fresh and ended up doing quite well. After applying to medical school a few years ago and getting rejected from both traditional programs and the Pathways Program, I decided to pursue a masters degree in health administration. This program was amazing since it taught me about the business side of healthcare and medicine; up until then I only had clinical experience. In addition, I have had held several leadership positions within a major health system here in Phoenix that has greatly nurtured my leadership skills.

Not once have I ever doubted that I would not become a physician! The prior rejections have only fueled my ambition. My advice would be to evaluate downfalls in your application and make a plan to improve upon those. At the end of the day, it is my belief that the Admissions Committee loves to see improvement in any piece of your application along with a compelling story of your background and why you want to become a physician.

Good luck!

Congratulations on getting an interview!!!! I truly hope you get accepted, as my story is quite similar to yours! I, too, had a couple horrific semesters as I had to drop my classes to start working. I recently took the MCAT and got 491 but will be taking it for a second time in May. I am also looking to enter a masters program to improve my chances for the following year!

Thank you so much for replying! I am sure your hard work and dedication will not go unnoticed at U of A COM!

Congratulations on getting an interview!!!! I truly hope you get accepted, as my story is quite similar to yours! I, too, had a couple horrific semesters as I had to drop my classes to start working. I recently took the MCAT and got 491 but will be taking it for a second time in May. I am also looking to enter a masters program to improve my chances for the following year!

Thank you so much for replying! I am sure your hard work and dedication will not go unnoticed at U of A COM!

Hi there,

Thank you so much!

Just remember that becoming a physician, and being a physician, is a life long endeavor. I am 31 years old and have just as much fire and passion of getting into med school and becoming a doctor as I did when I was 18 and a fresh college student. I think a masters program would be a great idea! Also, I took a Kaplan Review Course for the MCAT but I dont think it helped all that much. What helped were the AAMC published practice tests. I wish I would have focused on those vs. the Kaplan material.

Is anyone who did not get interviewed this cycle planning on retaking the MCAT, and if so would you like to form a study group? Or maybe something for motivation and accountability? I am thinking I will retake the MCAT in June!

Is anyone who did not get interviewed this cycle planning on retaking the MCAT, and if so would you like to form a study group? Or maybe something for motivation and accountability? I am thinking I will retake the MCAT in June!
Yesssss!! I am retaking May 19th!

any of those who interviewed hear back yet?

Idk if you got an answer to your question yet but at the interview Dean Fogerty said we would get either an acceptance phone call or a waitlist/rejection email on March 20th

Idk if you got an answer to your question yet but at the interview Dean Fogerty said we would get either an acceptance phone call or a waitlist/rejection email on March 20th

Hello everyone! Did anyone receive a phone call or email update today?

I interviewed and did not receive a call or email today. I'm planning on calling the admissions office tomorrow to check in

They're sending out calls today, despite what Dr. Fogerty mentioned. Good luck to each of you!

Anyone else willing to share their outcome? I'm curious ;)

Anyone else willing to share their outcome? I'm curious ;)
Hi everyone, I received my acceptance on Tuesday morning. If I recall from the visit day, there are only 3 or so waitlisted. We were given the option to formally accept until April 10th, so I imagine you will find out if you moved up sometime shortly after that because there is some paperwork that will need to be done ASAP. I wish you luck! If there are any q's you may have in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best to answer!

Hi everyone, I received my acceptance on Tuesday morning. If I recall from the visit day, there are only 3 or so waitlisted. We were given the option to formally accept until April 10th, so I imagine you will find out if you moved up sometime shortly after that because there is some paperwork that will need to be done ASAP. I wish you luck! If there are any q's you may have in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best to answer!
Congratulations!!! Do you mind telling us a little about yourself and/or your stats?

I was wondering the same thing. My guess is that it cannot be too many? Maybe no more than five?

Waitlisted also but I called when I found out and they said it was an unranked pool of ~10/15 but when I called more recently to double check they said the info was confidential so we shall see I guess lol?

Congratulations!!! Do you mind telling us a little about yourself and/or your stats?
Thanks I appreciate it!

My stats: I did a dual Biochem and Chem BS and graduate work in Biochemistry and Physics before getting a Masters in education. GPA in undergrad was 3.6 cumulative with a 3.5 science, and 4.0 in grad school. I did a grad internship at **** (removed for anonymity) a few years ago, and a slew of other research projects in undergrad and grad school including one based in urban community health centers in the NYC area. The first time I took the MCAT I scored a 30, and the second time I scored a little lower. In addition to research, I worked in a clinic for 4 years and volunteered at a city hospital in the ER and pediatric psych departments both in NYC. I've also taught math and science to at-risk students in AZ for about six years.

I hope that's useful! Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Thanks I appreciate it!

My stats: I did a dual Biochem and Chem BS and graduate work in Biochemistry and Physics before getting a Masters in education. GPA in undergrad was 3.6 cumulative with a 3.5 science, and 4.0 in grad school. I did a grad internship at **** (removed for anonymity) a few years ago, and a slew of other research projects in undergrad and grad school including one based in urban community health centers in the NYC area. The first time I took the MCAT I scored a 30, and the second time I scored a little lower. In addition to research, I worked in a clinic for 4 years and volunteered at a city hospital in the ER and pediatric psych departments both in NYC. I've also taught math and science to at-risk students in AZ for about six years.

I hope that's useful! Good luck to you!
Way to go!! I can see the passion you have for caring for the underserved population within your response! I'm sure your dedication will not go unnoticed!

Way to go!! I can see the passion you have for caring for the underserved population within your response! I'm sure your dedication will not go unnoticed!
You didn't ask but I saw from your previous posts that you are considering a Masters and are planning to retake the MCAT? I hope you don't mind the advice I have even if you didn't ask for it! I purchased ExamKrackers and followed the home study plan very strictly. I also took the Kaplan course with the live instructor and frankly I found it to be a waste of money/ time. The content was too broad, it was like taking a watered down course of the original classes. The AAMC practice tests are an excellent investment, and can be incorporated into a the ExamKrackers home study plan.

Depending on when you want to reapply, you can also consider taking some science classes at a community college to boost your science GPA if you don't want to commit to a grad degree right now. Also, you've probably already heard this but if you're applying to traditional programs also, send in your primary in June as soon as the application opens, this will increase your chances also.

Don't give up. I was ready to enter med school in 2008 and I had some issues come up that made it impossible. I convinced myself, and others said the same to me, that I should just give up on it and stay in education. People I respected told me that my chances of getting in this year were very low, and I am so grateful I didn't listen to them. If medicine is your passion, pursue it zealously. Set yourself apart from the pool by having rich and varied experiences.
I truly wish you the best of luck!

You didn't ask but I saw from your previous posts that you are considering a Masters and are planning to retake the MCAT? I hope you don't mind the advice I have even if you didn't ask for it! I purchased ExamKrackers and followed the home study plan very strictly. I also took the Kaplan course with the live instructor and frankly I found it to be a waste of money/ time. The content was too broad, it was like taking a watered down course of the original classes. The AAMC practice tests are an excellent investment, and can be incorporated into a the ExamKrackers home study plan.

Depending on when you want to reapply, you can also consider taking some science classes at a community college to boost your science GPA if you don't want to commit to a grad degree right now. Also, you've probably already heard this but if you're applying to traditional programs also, send in your primary in June as soon as the application opens, this will increase your chances also.

Don't give up. I was ready to enter med school in 2008 and I had some issues come up that made it impossible. I convinced myself, and others said the same to me, that I should just give up on it and stay in education. People I respected told me that my chances of getting in this year were very low, and I am so grateful I didn't listen to them. If medicine is your passion, pursue it zealously. Set yourself apart from the pool by having rich and varied experiences.
I truly wish you the best of luck!
Thank you so much for the advice! I actually took a princeton prep course the first time that I took the MCAT and felt as if it was a waste of time too! I also know that I did not take merely enough practice tests. I am glad to hear that you did not give up on this dream and I plan to do the same. I have been scribing in the emergency department for about 2 years now and it has reassured me that medicine is my passion and I will not give up. I wish you the best of luck throughout pathway scholars as well as your transition into medical school!